If there were trophy for our most improved player, who would you give it to?

simplyared

Reckon we can see improvement in quite a few of our players which of course is positive. (Pity Lingard chose to improve at the wrong club however).

Personally I’d give it to the ”Iceman” (funny how Swedes who have success in sports get that nickname)

Yes I am aware there are still parts of his game he needs to improve on, (bossing arial duals in our own penalty area being one) but he’s gone from being a donkey to becoming a very good player in a CB-pairing. Not only that I’m convinced he’s still not the finished product.

Fantastic development!

So a positive, harmless thread who gets your prize?

Pickle85

Luke Shaw for me. Our best player this season and probably the best left back in the prem atm for me. He's been brilliant.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I'm not sure that Lindelof has particularly improved for us. Our fans always need an easy target and he's been one of them, but he has always been an above average centre half

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Luke Shaw but then again I was always convinced he could get to this level given the chance and also if he avoided injuries

With Lindelof I was never fan admittedly. So I am pleasantly surprised to see him really improve in recent months

Raven

It's between Lindelof and Shaw for sure but that's mainly because I haven't seen significant improvement in anyone else.

simplyared

Got to be Luke Shaw surely
To be fair Shaw wasn't so far off his current level when he joined us in 2014. 18yrs I think he was! He was rated highly then like we are doing now. He'd already played for England and was probably the best LB in the league then. What we have experienced with him is a massive drop in form (probably down to his terrible injury) under quite a long period. Then since Mourinho parted we've seen a different player. Yes a huge improvement but not so huge comparing him with the time we bought him.

MU655

Bailly - Went from 4 games played last season to 8 games played in this one. And still, the league is not finished.

RedDevilzFox

I would just save it for next season. I don't think anyone has been a real revelation, including Shaw. He's just been less of a crock and train wreck this season. Unfortunately our standards are so low and players hyped up so much I see some are already calling him best LB in the league.

This is my last post of the day, but to answer the question below, Chillwell has been comfortably better.

Last edited:

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I would just save it for next season. I don't think anyone has been a real revelation, including Shaw. He's just been less of a crock and train wreck this season. Unfortunately our standards are so low and players hyped up so much I see some are already calling him best LB in the league.
Who has been better this season?

RkkMan

This is my last post of the day, but to answer the question below, Chillwell has been comfortably better.
He's created more chances and has more goal contributions than any other fullback in the PL this season. Absolutely laughable, incredibly biased, non sensical and incoherent opinion to especially say Chilwell(whom Chelsea fans themselves get annoyed by due to his inconsistency) has been better when there's a good part of this season he struggled to play ahead of Marcos fecking Alonso unless you watch games with pricked eyeballs

AgentSmith

Barely been Chelsea’s best LB. Shaw is in a league of his own compared to anyone else this season.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

Get some fecking clue before you waste your post.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Has to be Shaw.

Lindelof has been decent of late too, which I think has a lot to do with - simply - featuring regularly in the same combo over time. He hasn't really showed a whole lot more (to his game), just generally looks more solid and less error prone. Confidence - it's alpha and omega, really. And experience, of course - that doesn't hurt either.

SinNombre

Shaw is the easy winner here.

Comfortably our most consistent and at this point, a clear world class player.

SAFMUTD

Shaw and isnt even really a debate. He’s passed from being solid to amazing. Our POY and will surely be in the ideal PL XI.

I dont really see any other player from our squad this season that has substantially improved anything remotely close to what Shaw has.

simplyared

Agree Shaw is the best LB in the PL right now. His place should be cemented in the Southgate's eleven no doubt about that. Chillwell obviously his nearest contender. Yes Shaw's improvement is quite remarkable this season but I believe Lindelöf's improvement is even better. Not that he's a better player or at a higher level than Shaw.

Shaw when we bought him was already playing near the level he's at today. At 18yrs old probably the best LB in the PL at that time. What we are seeing now is a player returning to the same player he was back then but with more experience of course.

When we bought Lindelöf from Benfica I was convinced we'd got ourselves a donkey. Just couldn't see a player in there. Now he's turning out performances I never thought I'd be seeing. When he plays in the national side he bosses it, oozes confidence and is the backbone of Sweden's defense.

So in terms of improvement it would be him.

davidmichael

I don’t think it’s even close as Luke Shaw has been the best left back in the league this season by a long way, I’d say McTominay is next and I think AWB has got better as the season has gone on even though he looks shaky still when pressed.

norm87cro

Shaw by a mile. (it still doesn't make him our best player just the most improved). The Lindelof nomination is laughable

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Luke Shaw, yet at the same time I feel he's had this 'most improved player' tag at the club for the past 2 seasons now.

Reddevil1978

I agree with most of you, Luke Shaw for sure...

Maybe he just needed quality competition in Telles and to know his place in the first team was not guaranteed.

His first touch is a thing of beauty.

OleBoiii

The following have improved under Ole to at least some degree: Maguire, Lindelöf, Shaw, Fred, McT and Rashford.

Fred went from being a liability and borderline useless to a pretty decent player. I know the fans have gotten lukewarm about him recently, but it's easy to forget just how much he struggled for the first 12-18 months.

Still, Shaw probably deserves the "trophy" here. To go from 'decent' to 'excellent' is harder than going from 'bad' to 'decent'.

jem

The whole 'our standards are so low' argument goes out the window if you are using to play down Shaw's achievements this season. He has been fantastic.

Ekeke

Shaw. Even though I already rated him highly going into the season, he's easily the winner here. Not many have improved overall

Oranges038

I'd say Shaw, I wasn't his biggest fan for a good while, thought he was poor and phoning in it in for a few seasons with his injuries etc.

But after a sticky few years, looks like he's got his fitness under control and he is much better. I also think Telles coming in has given him the kick up the hole he needed too. He should be kicking on from here now and be looking to get even better. He could easily be first choice left back for another 7 or 8 years if he looks after himself properly.

mu4c_20le

Luke Shaw went from being a joke to best leftback in the league, thread would be more interesting if he was excluded!