If there were trophy for our most improved player, who would you give it to?

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I would just save it for next season. I don't think anyone has been a real revelation, including Shaw. He's just been less of a crock and train wreck this season. Unfortunately our standards are so low and players hyped up so much I see some are already calling him best LB in the league.

This is my last post of the day, but to answer the question below, Chillwell has been comfortably better.
Shaw is literally one of the most creative players in his position in Europe. I’m sure there’ll be plenty of others pointing this out as I scroll down further. He went from being influential in our team to being one of the best out there this season.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Shaw has had a fantastic season, especially WRT attacking numbers, but I think he was excellent last year aswell, so its not quite cut and dry.

Lindelof has benefitted from Bailly on being half made of glass this season, as much Shaw needed Telles. He's halved the mistakes if not fully cut them out.

McTominay gets better every game, and Fred apart from having the odd absolute stinker has markedly improved also.

Shaw/Lindelof joint award
McTominay/Fred joint third.

Shout outs to Harvey Neville and Will Fish in the youth side.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Shaw by far and away. He's been rock solid and what I would call the only consistent high performer in the whole squad all season.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
This would be called the Luke Shaw Award and 1st, 2nd and 3rd place would all be awarded to Luke Shaw.

dinostar77

Shaw, his improvement since telles arrived has been amazing. Gave him a kick up the backside. Just need another RB to give AWB a kick up the backside as well.

It took time for him to come back from his leg break and he always seemed to be playing it safe and within himself. He'd be frustrating to watch going forwards, but his improvement has been impressive. So he gets my vote.

Mctominay getting a distant 2nd place as hes added goals to his game this season.

alexthelion

I would just save it for next season. I don't think anyone has been a real revelation, including Shaw. He's just been less of a crock and train wreck this season. Unfortunately our standards are so low and players hyped up so much I see some are already calling him best LB in the league.

This is my last post of the day, but to answer the question below, Chillwell has been comfortably better.
Thank God, at least you won't be spouting anymore dross.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
This season? Shaw easily, but overall we have to mention Fred.

He barely looked like a Championship footballer when he first got here and is now a mainstay in the first XI. No doubt he still got limitations in his game, but overall hes a decent player these days

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

I don't think even Chilwell thinks he's been better than Shaw this season.

tomaldinho1

Lindelof hasn’t got better or worse, he’s always been this level.
Shaw has clearly improved this season.
McT for a younger player has started adding goals as well but Shaw is clear winner.

rron10

Supports
Sir Alex
Shaw, never thought he can be that good, after all the injuries.

Pickle85

Assume this was aimed at me - yep, best LB in the league for my money. Claiming Chilwell, who still isn't even his own club's nailed on starting LB, has been comfortably better is a bit laughable tbh. I would've thought his main competition would be Robertson despite the scousers start to the season.

tugger

A most improved player suggests a player wasn’t giving their 110% previously. If such a trophy were to exist, I would use it as a motivational tool for the others. A warning that no less than the best is acceptable here.

I will pick Shaw as an example, his level has noticeably improved this year, suggesting he was somewhat half arsing it before.

The day would begin like any other, Shaw would train, it would rain, all would be well with the world. At the end of the training session Shaw would return to his locker to find a golden envelope. Wide-eyed and full of wonder he thinks “This is it! This is the Wonka Golden ticket. I can gorge on chocolate for free, instead of having to stock up at the BP every day after training!” He would greedily open the envelope to see he had in fact been invited to an official United gala evening, celebrating his performances and services to the club this calendar year.

Each of member of the squad, as well as each of Shaw’s family members, would receive the same envelope at exactly the same time, detailing the evening and its purpose. The date would be set for 3 days time, at OT. Shaw is getting excited now. A whole evening dedicated to him and his greatness. He’d be so excited he would even forget to gorge on chips.

The day would arrive, Old Trafford would be resplendent, completely decked out for the evening’s festivities. The stands would be covered in giant Shaw faces, each of them ever slightly distorted, but not obviously so. Just enough to make you feel uneasy, but not enough to be able to put your finger on why. The tannoy system would be blaring out a “Shaw! Shaw! Shaw!” on repeat. Glitter would endlessly stream from the sky, as the OT stewards, fully kitted out as if it was a match day, conduct an endless, yet perfectly choreographed Haka from the sidelines.

Shaw’s family and teammates would be gathered in the Director’s boxes, the world’s media in the dugouts, close to the action.

Shaw would be gestured to head towards the center circle. The whole experience has him engrossed. As if in a trace, Shaw ambles towards the pitch, just as he crosses the touch line, the Shaw chants stop, a strange mist rolls in and fills the stadium and the entire center circle descends into the depths below. Rain starts to fall.

Slowly the center circle begins its ascent upwards. Two shadowy figures with afros can start to be made out. As the fog clears they are revealed as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Gareth Southgate both dressed like Samuel L Jackson from Pulp Fiction. Southgate was supposed to be Travolta but for a typical cock up at FA HQ. Ole, the consummate pro, doesn’t acknowledge it and continues.

Shaw is seriously confused now, frozen and staring mouth agape. From nowhere he is taken out from behind and hits the turf. Dazed and confused, he can make out the blurry the Jackson pair looming over him. He begins to feel a warm sensation cascade over his face. The world begins to come back into focus and he realises Ole and Gareth are pissing on him. Each drop of nectar making Shaw more conscious than ever before. They finish, shake off and return their members before beginning to lay into Shaw. As the blows rain down a booming Scottish voice can be heard over the tannoy. “Ye think ye can play like shite for years do ye, Shaw?” “Ye think ye can treat the club I spent years building back up like a joke?” “Any of ye think this is good enough, son!” Sir Alex continues his tirade, but is slowly faded out and his voice is replaced by the Vanilla Ice lyric “Anything less that the best is a felony” from Ice Ice Baby on repeat, ever so slightly increasing in tempo each loop.

All the while bulb flashes from the world’s media bounce around the stands. United’s new Twitch channel, streaming the event, now has 69 million viewers. Shaw’s mum is crying, his Gran has passed out/died. The players in the stand, shocked at first, slowly realise they need to be pulling their weight. No more semi final capitulation. No more putting together the odd good run and then going off the boil. No more shit.

Ole and Gareth ease up as Shaw once has been suitably pulped. A harsh lesson for sure, but one he needed. He is in pain, but he is also grateful. He is enlightened. He understands. He rises from the turf, like a pissy phoenix and personally thanks Ole and Gareth for his golden salvation. He turns slowly towards the stands and acknowledges his family and teammates. Shaw’s Gran has risen, Shaw’s mum is cheering. They know now. They know.

From there, United go on the longest unbeaten run in history, culminating in winning the cricket world cup at the other Old Trafford 3 years later. In those three short years, Shaw has overtaken Pele’s goal tally. In response, Pele claims to have been pissed on by more Pulp Fiction impersonators than Shaw. Unlike his goal tally, no one contests this. The award has served its purpose.

Last edited:
Reactions: Invictus

Pickle85

A most improved player suggests a player wasn’t giving their 110% previously. If such a trophy were to exist, I would use it as a motivational tool for the others. A warning that no less than the best is acceptable here.

I will pick Shaw as an example, his level has noticeably improved this year, suggesting he was somewhat half arsing it before.

The day would begin like any other, Shaw would train, it would rain, all would be well with the world. At the end of the training session Shaw would return to his locker to find a golden envelope. Wide-eyed and full of wonder he thinks “This is it! This is the Wonka Golden ticket. I can gorge on chocolate for free, instead of having to stock up at the BP every day after training!” He would greedily open the envelope to see he had in fact been invited to an official United gala evening, celebrating his performances and services to the club this calendar year.

Each of member of the squad, as well as each of Shaw’s family members, would receive the same envelope at exactly the same time, detailing the evening and its purpose. The date would be set for 3 days time, at OT. Shaw is getting excited now. A whole evening dedicated to him and his greatness. He’d be so excited he would even forget to gorge on chips.

The day would arrive, Old Trafford would be resplendent, completely decked out for the evening’s festivities. The stands would be covered in giant Shaw faces, each of them ever slightly distorted, but not obviously so. Just enough to make you feel uneasy, but not enough to be able to put your finger on why. The tannoy system would be blaring out a “Shaw! Shaw! Shaw!” on repeat. Glitter would endlessly stream from the sky, as the OT stewards, fully kitted out as if it was a match day, conduct an endless, yet perfectly choreographed Haka from the sidelines.

Shaw’s family and teammates would be gathered in the Director’s boxes, the world’s media in the dugouts, close to the action.

Shaw would be gestured to head towards the center circle. The whole experience has him engrossed. As if in a trace, Shaw ambles towards the pitch, just as he crosses the touch line, the Shaw chants stop, a strange mist rolls in and fills the stadium and the entire center circle descends into the depths below. Rain starts to fall.

Slowly the center circle begins its ascent upwards. Two shadowy figures with afros can start to be made out. As the fog clears they are revealed as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Gareth Southgate both dressed like Samuel L Jackson from Pulp Fiction. Southgate was supposed to be Travolta but for a typical cock up at FA HQ. Ole, the consummate pro, doesn’t acknowledge it and continues.

Shaw is seriously confused now, frozen and staring mouth agape. From nowhere he is taken out from behind and hits the turf. Dazed and confused on, he can make out the blurry the Jackson pair looming over him. He begins to feel a warm sensation cascade over his face. The world begins to come back into focus and he realises Ole and Gareth are pissing on him. Each drop of nectar making Shaw more conscious than ever before. They finish, shake off and return their members before beginning to lay into Shaw. As the blows rain down a booming Scottish voice can be heard over the tannoy. “Ye think ye can play like shite for years do ye, Shaw?” “Ye think ye can treat the club I spent years building back up like a joke?” “Any of ye think this is good enough, son!” Sir Alex continues his tirade, but is slowly faded out and his voice is replaced by the Vanilla Ice lyric “Anything less that the best is a felony” from Ice Ice Baby on repeat, ever so slightly increasing in tempo each loop.

All the while bulb flashes from the world’s media bounce around the stands. United’s new Twitch channel, streaming the event, now has 69 million viewers. Shaw’s mum is crying, his Gran has passed out/died. The players in the stand, shocked at first, slowly realise they need to be pulling their weight. No more semi final capitulation. No more putting together the odd good run and then going off the boil. No more shit.

Ole and Gareth ease up as Shaw once has been suitably pulped. A harsh lesson for sure, but one he needed. He is in pain, but he is also grateful. He is enlightened. He understands. He rises from the turf, like a pissy phoenix and personally thanks Ole and Gareth for his golden salvation. He turns slowly towards the stands and acknowledges his family and teammates. Shaw’s Gran has rising, Shaw’s mum is cheering. They know now. They know.

From there, United go on the longest unbeaten run in history, culminating in winning the cricket world cup at the other Old Trafford 3 years later. In those three short years, Shaw has overtaken Pele’s goal tally. In response, Pele claims to have been pissed on by more Pulp Fiction impersonators than Shaw. Unlike his goal tally, no one contests this. The award has served its purpose.
This is so unexpected. Engrossing and weird af...I salute you. I do think you should lay off the acid though.

Gopher Brown

Reckon we can see improvement in quite a few of our players which of course is positive. (Pity Lingard chose to improve at the wrong club however).

Personally I’d give it to the ”Iceman” (funny how Swedes who have success in sports get that nickname)

Yes I am aware there are still parts of his game he needs to improve on, (bossing arial duals in our own penalty area being one) but he’s gone from being a donkey to becoming a very good player in a CB-pairing. Not only that I’m convinced he’s still not the finished product.

Fantastic development!

So a positive, harmless thread who gets your prize?
I don’t call him the ‘Iceman,’ and I don’t know anybody who does.

TheReligion

Abusive

Surely a WUM.

I'm not having anyone can be that daft.

Red Stone

Shaw is seriously confused now, frozen and staring mouth agape. From nowhere he is taken out from behind and hits the turf. Dazed and confused, he can make out the blurry the Jackson pair looming over him. He begins to feel a warm sensation cascade over his face. The world begins to come back into focus and he realises Ole and Gareth are pissing on him. Each drop of nectar making Shaw more conscious than ever before. They finish, shake off and return their members before beginning to lay into Shaw. As the blows rain down a booming Scottish voice can be heard over the tannoy. “Ye think ye can play like shite for years do ye, Shaw?” “Ye think ye can treat the club I spent years building back up like a joke?” “Any of ye think this is good enough, son!” Sir Alex continues his tirade, but is slowly faded out and his voice is replaced by the Vanilla Ice lyric “Anything less that the best is a felony” from Ice Ice Baby on repeat, ever so slightly increasing in tempo each loop.

Ole and Gareth ease up as Shaw once has been suitably pulped. A harsh lesson for sure, but one he needed. He is in pain, but he is also grateful. He is enlightened. He understands. He rises from the turf, like a pissy phoenix and personally thanks Ole and Gareth for his golden salvation. He turns slowly towards the stands and acknowledges his family and teammates. Shaw’s Gran has risen, Shaw’s mum is cheering. They know now. They know.

I don't know exactly what I've just read, but I know that it was good.

Red00012

All I can do is laugh

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Probably Shaw or De Gea.

De Gea hasn’t even been great but he was so bad last season it’s been a huge improvement.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I'm generally optimistic about us at the moment, but this thread has actually set me back a bit. I don't count Shaw, he is good but he's just regained previous form and promise, and I always rated him anyway. After that it's mostly about the potential of a lot of young players, we're in wait and see phase I suppose. Lindelof is probably fair enough.

Pickle85

Still standing by this??!

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

Your post is as shit as your judgement on player performance.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Shaw and I'd say he is world class alongside Bruno, Pogba and Cavani and possibly Maguire.

Technically it’s Shaw. But going back to the OP, and giving a trophy - I’ve always thought “most improved player”’ should go to one of your younger players - not someone who is established, and actually pushing to be “player of the year”.

with that all in mind, I’d give it to Henderson. He’s broken through, and become the man in possession of the no 1 shirt (figuratively obviously in the era of squad numbers) and that a massive improvement.

pawanraj

The answer is of course Shaw. But I want to highlight AWB who has quietly improved in his forward play and positioning to complement his usually excellent tackling.

I've noticed a pretty big reduction in the volume of expletives I hurl at the TV when watching AWB with the ball. It might look awkward and ungainly, but it has come leaps and bounds in effectiveness.

Reactions: Sultan

Zlatans Knee

I think most of us knew that Shaw had the ability to become this good but none of us expected it after the past couple of years, so he take the honours. Special shout out to AWB who is definitely improving with the ball at his feet to add to his already incredible defensive skills.

Zlatans Knee

The answer is of course Shaw. But I want to highlight AWB who has quietly improved in his forward play and positioning to complement his usually excellent tackling.

I've noticed a pretty big reduction in the volume of expletives I hurl at the TV when watching AWB with the ball. It might look awkward and ungainly, but it has come leaps and bounds in effectiveness.
Damn, you got there 1 minute before me! :D