If there were trophy for our most improved player, who would you give it to?

wolvored

Luke Shaw by a country mile. Wan Bissaka is making strides. In fact all except Fred have improved imo, even McTom has a little bit.
De Gea, Matic, Mata are not the first picks now and they need upgrading or moving on. VDB has been the disappointment when picked and you can see why Ole isnt picking him. In fact improving the back up will probably move us towards a proper challenge for the title next season.
Sorry missed out the glaring obvious one to go backwards and needs moving on as much as Jones - Martial.

Gee Male

Pogba.

Joking obviously, but he has been much better this year than recent years.

Shaw clearly, Fred deserves a mention too for effort I'd nothing else.

Hammondo

Luke Shaw has been our best player imo. AWB has improved a lot as well.

Pickle85

Yep. He has blossomed under the responsibility that Ole has placed in him.
Absolutely. Ole deserves a lot of credit here. I imagine after mourinho, Shaw's confidence was rock bottom but Ole has really gotten more out of him than I thought possible. Also, buying Telles to provide some competition was an astute move too.

032Devil

I would just save it for next season. I don't think anyone has been a real revelation, including Shaw. He's just been less of a crock and train wreck this season. Unfortunately our standards are so low and players hyped up so much I see some are already calling him best LB in the league.

This is my last post of the day, but to answer the question below, Chillwell has been comfortably better.
A ridiculous statement!

Second in the league since Xmas, very comfortable position in the Europa League semi and "...our standards are so low". And "...players are hyped up so much..." I don't know which forum or threads you read but most of players get lambasted on here.

Redlyn

I don't want to say Shaw because even though he's gone up a level this season he was excellent last as well. Problem is noone else has any noteworthy improvement so I would say shaw.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Pogba.

Joking obviously, but he has been much better this year than recent years.

Shaw clearly, Fred deserves a mention too for effort I'd nothing else.
Interesting topic. Why would you say he's been "much better" than previous years (I suppose you mean seasons)?

Redlyn

I would just save it for next season. I don't think anyone has been a real revelation, including Shaw. He's just been less of a crock and train wreck this season. Unfortunately our standards are so low and players hyped up so much I see some are already calling him best LB in the league.

This is my last post of the day, but to answer the question below, Chillwell has been comfortably better.
Even if you consider chilwell better (I am off to look for the stats), that's only one player who is better.

I can't believe anyone can watch us every match and not see the incredible impact of Shaw.

RedDevilzFox

Even if you consider chilwell better (I am off to look for the stats), that's only one player who is better.

I can't believe anyone can watch us every match and not see the incredible impact of Shaw.
Shaw is much improved this season, no doubt about that. But people are getting carried away on the back of 1 decent season. The other day someone compared him to Maldini. :houllier:

If he can keep this up for another season, we can discuss him being the best LB in PL, but RedCafe is not known to be biased is it.

Fully Fledged

Absolutely. Ole deserves a lot of credit here. I imagine after mourinho, Shaw's confidence was rock bottom but Ole has really gotten more out of him than I thought possible. Also, buying Telles to provide some competition was an astute move too.
Yeah Telles has obviously helped keep Shaw on his toes.

Redlyn

Shaw is much improved this season, no doubt about that. But people are getting carried away on the back of 1 decent season. The other day someone compared him to Maldini. :houllier:

If he can keep this up for another season, we can discuss him being the best LB in PL, but RedCafe is not known to be biased is it.
Last season was decent. This season is more than decent. He is exceptional. He can be the best this season, irrespective of what happens next season.

Yes no need to go over the top with praise, but what you are doing is the opposite saying chilwell is comfortably better and downplaying his performance.

Pickle85

Don't see what the issue is with saying he's arguably the best left back in the prem at the moment. It's not like anyone's saying he's the best ever to grace the prem or even the best in the last five years. On current forms he is absolutely in the conversation for best left back in the Prem.

Reactions: 711

RedDevilzFox

Last season was decent. This season is more than decent. He is exceptional. He can be the best this season, irrespective of what happens next season.

Yes no need to go over the top with praise, but what you are doing is the opposite saying chilwell is comfortably better and downplaying his performance.
I disagree. Shaw for me still gets caught out of position frequently, we haven't been punished for it because we control the ball better and have 2 defensive midfielders playing most of the time. It is true he has been really good going forward but the bar for being the best in the league is very high for me. People just go over the top here too easy.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
I disagree. Shaw for me still gets caught out of position frequently, we haven't been punished for it because we control the ball better and have 2 defensive midfielders playing most of the time. It is true he has been really good going forward but the bar for being the best in the league is very high for me. People just go over the top here too easy.
A full back who contributes as much to the attack as Shaw does will get caught out of position defensively. It's just common sense. The benefits of what he brings to the attack far outweigh him getting caught sometimes.

Eriku

One Maldini mention isn’t enough to back your claim about the Caf overhyping.

Btw, you’re going under the top. Shaw has been magnificent this season, and is just going from strength to strength under Ole.

RedDevilzFox

A full back who contributes as much to the attack as Shaw does will get caught out of position defensively. It's just common sense. The benefits of what he brings to the attack far outweigh him getting caught sometimes.
You wouldn't be saying that if we actually got punished for him getting caught out of position. Lets face it, this forum swings on the "recent memory" mostly. Hell if we lose a next couple of games with Shaw's mistakes, this place will swing entirely in the other direction. Prime example? 2nd ROMA goal. Guess who was keeping everyone onside? Now imagine if we'd lost that game.

RedDevilzFox

One Maldini mention isn’t enough to back your claim about the Caf overhyping.

Btw, you’re going under the top. Shaw has been magnificent this season, and is just going from strength to strength under Ole.
Haha - I am not going around noting everything that's being said. I am not even here most of the time. Maldini hyperbole stuck because its so outrageous and ridiculous but that's so redcafe.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
You wouldn't be saying that if we actually got punished for him getting caught out of position. Lets face it, this forum swings on the "recent memory" mostly. Hell if we lose a next couple of games with Shaw's mistakes, this place will swing entirely in the other direction. Prime example? 2nd ROMA goal. Guess who was keeping everyone onside? Now imagine if we'd lost that game.
I would for one. Sausage was quite right, an attacking full back does get caught out of position more often, what happens then depends on how well coached the team are, and how well the players respond to the coaching of course.

cyril C

First of all, define Most Improved. While we have seen Shaw showing what he has got, isn't this what we have been expecting all these years? And Fred, from useless Fred to Big Game Fred? And Lindelof, from shaky to reliable? or Pogba, from flaky to steady? In fact, award must go to Jones, from permanent sick bay to running Jones.

To me, improvement means raising your level of games, not recovering, hence Award should go to McTom.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Regarding Shaw you should go to Specsavers.
How can you not see his touch, control, positioning, going past players with ease, his crossing? He is the best LB in the league and our best player. Ok the last bit about our best player is debatable but he’s in that debate

RedDevilzFox

Regarding Shaw you should go to Specsavers.
How can you not see his touch, control, positioning, going past players with ease, his crossing? He is the best LB in the league and our best player. Ok the last bit about our best player is debatable but he’s in that debate
He is not even the best player on his own team. A certain Bruno is. You guys really should stop with the hyperbole, its getting ridiculous between best player and maldini.

Pickle85

Haha - I am not going around noting everything that's being said. I am not even here most of the time. Maldini hyperbole stuck because its so outrageous and ridiculous but that's so redcafe.
Give over, Shaw has been our most consistent player.
Absolutely. Consistently 7/10 and more often than not more than that. I think some people get more and more entrenched into opinions the more others disagree with them, despite all evidence being to the contrary. Sometimes, when everyone else disagrees you have to wonder whether maybe it's not you that's right and everyone else that's wrong.

RedDevilzFox

Give over, Shaw has been our most consistent player.
Ridiculous. Its like Bruno doesn't exist anymore because we 'assume' a midfielder to score 26 goals and 18 assists in his first full season at united.

Listen to yourselves and shake your head a little. A left back will never be the best player in any team with ambitions to win league or CL. Period.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Shaw has gone from a tubby wasting his potential to world class.

He has been our most consistent player all season.