'If this continues I'm done with United for the season!' Really?

I Am Zlatan

Feel exactly the same way. Could never stop watching United. But I despise what we’ve become and the people that made us that way.
It’s ridiculous, and at the end of the day, the sad reality is, they own the club, so we either put up with their stupidity or we feck off.. I can’t wait until they’re gone, or just fecking appoint a competent ceo and a director of football and let football people take care of the club, then just sit there and take your dividends.

padzilla

Hipster
Not sure why you're assuming Solskjaer would never get sacked. If they look like not getting top 4 or go on a long run without a win he would get sacked.
They look like not getting top four. Has Solksjaer been sacked?

Marcus

I watch to the bitter end. My hand was on the remote off button when Terry took is spot kick and slipped, but I have never watched a Unuted game half way.

InfiniteBoredom

Pretty easy for me tbh. As I approach my 30s football in general already lost a lot of its luster, and I found myself watching less and less every year when teenage me would randomly watch a full Ligue 1 match if it’s on TV.

All it takes for me is not to stay up to 3am to catch the domestic fixtures, and stop stealing glances at the phone when CL is on at work. Why should I mess up my biological clock to follow the team if all I get out of it is perennial disappointment and frustration?

croadyman

Didn't realise 3/4 of the season had gone and Man Utd were in 17th. Thanks for letting me know.
Jesus those yankee leeches must love you and @padzilla for playing down the shite we are in, wish 3/4 of the season had already gone then wouldn't have so many months of pain still to suffer

Nickelodeon

At this moment when we concede or score a goal, i don't react at all. I am completely indifferent during our games. I simply don't care.
Ditto. Can’t remember myself being more indifferent to a goal than Ronaldo’s last min equaliser at Atalanta. It was like I’m a neutral.

Gums

People who only rise to support the team when they play well are nothing but bandwagon fans. It's fine to be pissed off about the state of the club, but take a note from the matchgoing fans, they never stop making noise, sun or rain.
So, for me the question is, what are you really supporting if you are there all the time, making noise, sun or rain?

If it‘s not connected to the performance on the pitch, what is it? It shouldn‘t be players, because they come and go. It shouldn‘t be the coaching staff, they also come and go. It definitely can‘t be the owners. So, what is it?

I get it, if you have fond childhood/family memories and you don‘t want to lose that fuzzy feeling. But ultimately, in one way or another, you are supporting Utd for your own personal reason, no? For the history? For the stadium? For previous fame and glory? For the city? Bragging rights? What is it?

I‘m glad matchgoing fans seem to see a real reason to support their team week in, week out. But the more I manage to distance myself emotionally from Utd and today‘s football, the more I see how similar fans are to gambling addicts. Hope keeps you in the game, you need to have that great feeling of winning again, you ignore rationality, it‘s only about emotions. There isn‘t any middle ground, you‘re either ecstatic or devastated. You just can‘t let go, you‘re too invested, too deep, too long, your whole life. It‘s almost a picture book example of the sunk cost fallacy.

To me, it doesn‘t matter if I’m considered a bandwagon fan or not. I‘m starting to reconsider what I used to think of glory seekers, and I‘m coming to the conclusion that a glory seeker/bandwagon approach seems more reasonable on many levels than the die-hard fans always giving their everything no matter what approach.

mav_9me

Seems to be a common sign off to posts of late. How many of you saying it would actually see that through?

Admit it: you're here to see the car crash and watch the fallout with the rest of us!

What would it genuinely take for you to not watch Manchester United?
I came genuinely very close in Jan 2020 when I said to my son if we didn't buy an attacking midfielder I will stop watching our games. This was the days of Pereira and Lingard playing as AM regularly before we got Bruno and everything changed.

I don't know now though

minoo-utd

I just can’t stop watching even if I try hard, just can’t. I watch every game and this season I feel so depressed because of it and it sometimes affects my mood but lately I started to just watch because it’s United and after the game move on so quickly. But here I am waiting for this man to be out of our club and very disappointed that a team like us just go with it after a humiliating defeat against our main rivals.

Pronewbie

Peep
I've turned off at certain points during LVG and Mourinho's era and feel like it's going to happen soon.

I already have my streams running in the background these days and dozed off at half time during the Derby. Once I'm no longer regularly browsing the caf, it's over.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Why would I continue to watch a club who clearly doesn't care continue to produce pub level football because they're too stupid and incompetent to know what everyone else does.
Because that's what being a proper football fan is.
Not just tagging on to a successful team in the glory days and expecting them to win every game for ever.

Judas

Open to offers
Jesus those yankee leeches must love you and @padzilla for playing down the shite we are in, wish 3/4 of the season had already gone then wouldn't have so many months of pain still to suffer
Do you get paid every time you make a post that includes the phrase yankee leeches? So much rage, just log off, do something else. The way you talk is worrying.

As always they'd wait until its mathematically impossible.
Well execpt for when they had a deal in place to replace LVG with Mourinho well in advance of the end of the season. Oh, and of course when they sacked Mourinho with 66 points still to play for.

So yeah, except with 2 of the 3 post SAF managers, it’s what they always do.

arnie_ni

I'm closer to the point of not watching and just checking the scores than I've ever been.

But I'm not prepared to not watch Ronaldo in his last few years.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It means I will no longer plan my weekends around our games. It means I will no longer have any Man Utd related news on my social feed or news feed. It means I will no longer have any expectations for our games - whether we win or draw or lose no longer affects me emotionally (I barely felt anything watching us conduct a rondo training session with City). It means I am completely indifferent to whatever happens to the club in the short term, because when you look at things from a long term perspective, it's completely fecked anyway. Any short term progress we made will be completely wiped out by Glazer's incompetence, and that is why I am no longer emotionally invested in this club.

When relegation fodders have much higher standards than our club, when our owners only care about sucking the club dry, when the manager is as deluded as a rambling drug addict, when the players are complaining about the manager yet the club doesn't give a feck, you know it's time to check out.
I can sympathize with this - I can't see myself ever not following United, but I do become more and more disillusioned with the our prospects and raison d'être under this ownership. I have much more interest in my local town club (whose Seniors team I play for, and my son in the youth set up) and would choose their first team on a Sat over watching United if they were on. When I start imagining going to a rivals game also though, then you can appreciate how my love for United is being tested under the Glazer regime.

They have to miss top 4. We're in early November and have just played a mad run of tough games.
West Ham, 16th placed Villa who’ve since fired their manager, 12th placed Villareal, 11th placed Everton, 12th placed Leicester City, Atalanta, Liverpool, 9th placed Spurs who’ve since fired their manager, Atalanta and City.

“mad run”. feck me the bar has been lowered for this club :lol: we’ve played just 2 top sides in the past 10 game clusterfeck in which we’ve lost 5 and won just 3.
3 of the losses have been at home, with a goal difference from this 10 game run of -7.

Jaxa

I’ll never not support United, i can’t but already I’ve started to take myself away from games and I’ll most likely not watch the Watford game either until the current set up changes,

It’s making me very unhappy when I watch United right now so for my own mental well-being I know what needs to be done to reduce that stress, I wish I wasn’t emotionally attached but I am.

AndySmith1990

I find watching United a bit like smoking. There are times when I just stop. It's not that much of a conscious decision, it just happens. But I'll always go back to it eventually. It's not even about glory hunting, I done the same thing during the 2000's when we were winning things. I just go through phases in life where my focus changes to new interests and hobbies.

But as I say, it just happens. I don't broadcast it to let everyone know. I expect when people say that, they're expressing their anger/frustration at that point and need a release. Nothing wrong with that. Must admit though, I find more enjoyment in watching other teams play these days. We're awful to watch, and for me the bottom line is football is supposed to be entertaining.

United will always be my team, but my free time is valuable and I'd prefer to use it doing something that I enjoy. I went out with my partner to a garden center during the City match, and I can't say I have any regrets.

Trequarista10

Honestly if caf never existed I would have watched less matches. Caf kinda helps you to express your anger and joy, its kinda fun.
True. Not just the Cafe but Internet in general.

Growing up I was a supporter of my hometown league two team, United were the team I supported in the Champions League and watched on Match of of Day, but when I moved to London it was hard to follow a league two team online, so I got more invested in United. The endless news, drama and discourse is all part of it.

Bestietom

I wish I woke up in the morning and this whole season was over. Sick of it now.

yipthatman

Well if the whole circus is anything, it certainly isn't boring. Its a shame that the hope of a new manager is more exciting than the actual football, but if that's all I have, it will have to do. The incoming player revolt should be interesting anyway.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Ditto. Can’t remember myself being more indifferent to a goal than Ronaldo’s last min equaliser at Atalanta. It was like I’m a neutral.
Till this season i never missed a game. During every weekend, my wife always asked me; " When is Manchester playing so we can do this or that?" (yeah, i have very caring wife ;) ).
Last few weeks my answer is "Nevermind the game, what did you have in plan?". Liverpool game, for example, i didn't watch at all. I was in the park with my kid.

During Moyes, Jose and Lvg i was optimistic all the time. Every game i thought that it will be better, that we will turn situation around. When we played vs Bayern under Moyes i was nervous as feck. I believed that we can win in Munchen for example. But with Ole, my optimism is at zero. I even doubt now that we will catch 4th spot.

McTerminator

Seems to be a common sign off to posts of late. How many of you saying it would actually see that through?

Admit it: you're here to see the car crash and watch the fallout with the rest of us!

What would it genuinely take for you to not watch Manchester United?
I don’t always watch due to cost, but I’m forever checking up on here and other sources for news so i guess you have a point.

stevoc

If I knew for sure Ole is in for the season I likely wouldn't bother watching every game.

For now, I'm watching to see when this twat gets sacked.
Get ready I think he's here for the season.

After all they waited until late April and until it was mathematically impossible to qualify for the CL back in 2014. If they gave that Twat almost an entire season despite it being obvious he was failing badly and out of his depth then Solskjaer's probably not going anywhere either.

GBBQ

They look like not getting top four. Has Solksjaer been sacked?
We're well off title winning form, we can all agree that's gone and top 3 is going to be some variation of Chelsea, City and Liverpool.

However in terms of 4th place, we have Arsenal and West ham ahead of us. Both playing better than us but also both could easily fall away. Everyone expected us to be in 10th after last weekend but the way results fell the slide wasn't as bad as expected.

So do you take a gamble on sacking Ole or do you see if the form can return. In terms of replacements, Conte is gone, Zidane isn't interested they definitely divide opinion and more likely offer short term success rather than long term so we'll not really know whether its a missed opportunity or a bullet dodged.

Ten Hag or Pochetino may only be gettable in the summer (if at all), even Rodgers might not be willing to leave mid season. So if we give the board the benefit of the doubt that we have options next summer and its literally a choice between Ole and a caretaker like Phelan until then, the gamble to sack becomes less clear cut. Ole may find stability and sneak into 4th.

We have Watford, Villareal, Arsenal and Chelsea as our next 4 fixtures and anything other than 4 wins will surely see Ole gone regardless because he'll have lost the dressing room.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
We're well off title winning form, we can all agree that's gone and top 3 is going to be some variation of Chelsea, City and Liverpool.

However in terms of 4th place, we have Arsenal and West ham ahead of us. Both playing better than us but also both could easily fall away. Everyone expected us to be in 10th after last weekend but the way results fell the slide wasn't as bad as expected.

So do you take a gamble on sacking Ole or do you see if the form can return. In terms of replacements, Conte is gone, Zidane isn't interested they definitely divide opinion and more likely offer short term success rather than long term so we'll not really know whether its a missed opportunity or a bullet dodged.

Ten Hag or Pochetino may only be gettable in the summer (if at all), even Rodgers might not be willing to leave mid season. So if we give the board the benefit of the doubt that we have options next summer and its literally a choice between Ole and a caretaker like Phelan until then, the gamble to sack becomes less clear cut. Ole may find stability and sneak into 4th.

We have Watford, Villareal, Arsenal and Chelsea as our next 4 fixtures and anything other than 4 wins will surely see Ole gone regardless because he'll have lost the dressing room.
After historic debacle vs Pool, he got second chance. In that chance he won one game, barely avoided defeat against weaker team in CL and was humilated against rivals. And he still stayed. Based on that, all he needs to do is win at Watford and draw against Arsenal. Chelsea defeat is "normal" right now and result from Villareal game will be judged after Young Boys game (will we go through or not in CL).

padzilla

Hipster
If Ole scrapes into the top four what then? Another contract renewal with a permanent acceptance of being shite but at least the money keeps rolling in?

GBBQ

If Ole scrapes into the top four what then? Another contract renewal with a permanent acceptance of being shite but at least the money keeps rolling in?
No a replacement in the summer. I think its clear to everyone he has hit his ceiling and scraping into top 4 after the summer investment will still be a failure of a season.

The reason he's not gone now is because he could still stumble into the top 4, a caretaker manager might be even worse than Ole.

yipthatman

The problem is for us. We do have enough loss saving/match winning players that we might just scrape top 4 on moments of brilliance and then stick with Ole and his project. Man I really hope that doesn't happen. Player revolt is our only hope at this point because Ole can't even see that he isn't up to the job and the clowns won't sack him.

Edit: I see the guy above me posted something similar while I was writing.

Rajma

West Ham, 16th placed Villa who’ve since fired their manager, 12th placed Villareal, 11th placed Everton, 12th placed Leicester City, Atalanta, Liverpool, 9th placed Spurs who’ve since fired their manager, Atalanta and City.

“mad run”. feck me the bar has been lowered for this club :lol: we’ve played just 2 top sides in the past 10 game clusterfeck in which we’ve lost 5 and won just 3.
3 of the losses have been at home, with a goal difference from this 10 game run of -7.
What makes it worse is that Liverpool and City were also home games, funny thing is that neither of those teams are really pulling up the trees this season. Liverpool since our drubbing have drawn to Brighton at home and lost to West Ham, while city before coming to OT have lost to Crystal Palace at emptyhad. Both teams made the training session out of us.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Yeah, what you say makes sense. The lack of availability of any obvious alternative means deciding not to sack him immediately might not be as crazy as it seems.

Re your final paragraph. I don’t think he needs 4 wins to keep his job. 3/4 will do it.