If we don’t hire the manager you want…

RatPack

I just want a manager with a style of play that suits the players we have + a CDM, and an attacking approach to the game.
If I can see a possible end product I can accept a bit of poor play in the beginning.
I have already given up on top 4 this year. Only change to change this is new top CDM in January and new coach within next couple of weeks + a lot of luck.

Oranges038

If I don't see who I want managing the team I will want them to lose every game until he or she or they or them is sacked.

MoskvaRed

In an ideal world, as long as the new manager has a compelling CV, he should have credit in the bank and therefore should be afforded patience to try and sort this mess out. Easier said than done however. Everyone has their own view on what constitutes a good enough CV for United and looming in the background is the uncomfortable thought that whoever we get is likely to fall short when compared with Pep, Klopp and Tuchel.

diarm

At the end of the day, worrying about the manager of this current Man Utd is like worrying about how the deck chairs are arranged on the Titanic.

It doesn't really matter. Fans fight amongst themselves about this manager, or that coach or whatever else, while the real issues lie in the fact the club is entirely set up for failure in terms of how a modern club should be organised.

Under Moyes, Van Gaal and Mourinho I had completely fallen out of love with the club because I hate our owners, I hate the banking pricks who run our club for them, I hate the stupid, inefficient, ego driven organisational structure off the field and the completely misguided priorities under which the club is directed.

I hated those 3 managers because they (naturally) struggled under the weight of restrictions and nonsense that comes with how badly our club is run, and they (again, naturally) looked to serve their own ends and egos.

I loved Ole because he reminded me of a time our club was better. I also genuinely believed and will always believe that he was doing what he felt was right for the club, over what was right for himself, against the backdrop of a toxic organisation.

Deep down I suspected, probably always knew, that he wasn't ever going to be capable of real success, but I didn't mind because I liked him and at times, I liked the team and football he was coaching. I've long since accepted that we're not going to see success under this ownership and board so settling for a manager and team I liked was something I could live with.

Then you lose 5 nil at home to Liverpool and the decision is made. There is no coming back from that for anyone.

But our club doesn't make the decision then, or the next week or the few after that. They ignore a two week international window period and then make the decision the day before a European game that could very well mark the end of our season in terms of any significant achievement.

When you're dealing with that level of incompetence, what fecking difference does the latest Patsy they stick in the managers seat make?

Some of us will support him, some of us will hate him. We'll rant and rave and argue about that all day long on here and on Twitter and in pubs and eventually, after another 2 years of crap, he'll get sacked and the real problem will still be sat in the boardroom, or the executive boxes, rotting away at our club from the inside out.

laughtersassassin

Nope what an absurd thought.

Sure if they hired Bruce on a permanent I'd be thinking that but as long as the manager is mostly qualified even if you don't think he is the man you'll be holding out hope that he is

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
They will hire the one that rocks the boat the least.

We need a reset, an identity rebuild from the ground up, new coaches, modern ideas. But that would mean firing a lot of "mates". And the incompetent bankers that run the show won't fire themselves or their "yes men".

They're hoping they'll get lucky and hire a "SAF" who'll mask their incompetence but that's like hoping lottery will solve all your problems.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
…are you just counting the days until the “wrong” guy gets sacked?

I’m getting a vibe of “my guy’s the only solution” from a lot of posts. Is that how people really feel? Or is everyone willing to accept that there are two or three managers out there who could all do a very good job and all deserve a bit of patience from us fans?
No of course not, either ETH or Poch (coin toss for preference) would do me fine but (puts helmet on for incoming bricks) I think that Rogers or Potter, should that be the direction the board go, would both be massive upgrades on Ole. I would be very surprised to see us not improve massively on the pitch with any of those or Rangnick or Enrique. Any of those would be met with optimism and support from me.

NoPace

There’s only a few we’ve been linked with I really don’t want. Rodgers, Carrick, Southgate. Willing to give most others a chance.

Seems most agree on the above which is why the club cannot hire them. Fan appeasement is important.
I would guess Southgate would fail because I genuinely have no idea what his approach even is other than wanting CBs who can play the ball, but he's enough of a wild card and England somehow got to extra time of the World Cup semi-final (admittedly Sweden was the best team they beat, but also Ashley Young was in the team and the Croats were a strong opposition) and then penalties in the Euro final without a world class midfielder, so I wouldn't rule out him somehow doing well.

Personally, I'd hire an older, competent interim manager like Rangnick or whoever for this year and then spend the time looking for a progressive manager even if his resume is lacking. Hungry, successful and tactically astute managers like Amorim, Galtier, the Slavia Prague manager, Hutter and others should absolutely be considered. The truth is that Pochettino, Ten Hag and Rodgers are no likelier than they are to really succeed here. We shouldn't be scared to pick a manager who has won Ligue 1 or the Portuguese League if they can make a solid pitch.

I wonder if we'd have hired Eddie Howe to close out the season if Newcastle hadn't. He's the only ex-Premier manager that would have made any sense as the interim guy.

Bondi77

Poch or Potter for me, I don’t know a great deal about Ten Hag but that would be interesting.
No thanks to Rogers or Zizou but if they come then they get my full support as anyone that steps up to the plate would.

Laurencio

In an ideal world, as long as the new manager has a compelling CV, he should have credit in the bank and therefore should be afforded patience to try and sort this mess out. Easier said than done however. Everyone has their own view on what constitutes a good enough CV for United and looming in the background is the uncomfortable thought that whoever we get is likely to fall short when compared with Pep, Klopp and Tuchel.
Not that long ago Tuchel would have been considered to fall short of Pep and Klopp. The biggest complaint against him at PSG was "he doesn't have a clear playing style".

An espn article right after Tuchel got sacked:
Tuchel's biggest problem is that he never really managed to give his PSG team a genuine identity. The style of play this season was poor; PSG were never convincing, and there were no patterns or themes to their style of play.
Now it's the most natural thing in the world to include him as one of the elite coaches in the league. Things change quickly in football, all it takes is the right person, in the right environment, at the right time.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Not that long ago Tuchel would have been considered to fall short of Pep and Klopp. The biggest complaint against him at PSG was "he doesn't have a clear playing style".

Now it's the most natural thing in the world to include him as one of the elite coaches in the league. Things change quickly in football, all it takes is the right person, in the right environment, at the right time.
Yeah and Tuchel’s problems at PSG are constantly glossed over when Poch’s failure to win Ligue Un is used as evidence against him.

Bestietom

It gets like a lucky dip every time we change a manager. Throw names into a hat and first one out wins.
We are one of the biggest clubs in the World and should be able to get the best manager.
If we must wait until the summer then so be it, if it means we get the best.
A manager that will take no nonsense and is a winner.

stu_1992

The only manager I won't accept would be Rodgers. I don't think I can ever warm up to the idea of that. Other then that, I'm open to lots of the mentioned options. Sure some have more pluses than others, but I want whoever is in charge to succeed just like i want Ole and anyone before him to succeed.

TrustInOle

In all honesty, whoever we get will get my full, unwavering support to begin with and has been the case with Moyes, LVG, Jose and Ole. I have never wanted a manager to fail but I hope we will/ have thoroughly thought out our next plan of action and approach the appointment with more authority and forward thinking.

Jezpeza

Personally I support whoever we have when they are on the pitch. I’ll cheer for Bailly and Jones even though i think they are both terrible and will say so afterwards.

I dont like the idea of Rodgers or Poch. I think both offer nothing more than Ole was sacked for. I’d get behind them, I’m not one of the people who wants to see us lose every week just because we have a manager we dont like. But with both of those two I just cant see either of them mounting a title challenge or winning a cup, every season.

We sacked a manager who got 3rd and 2nd in his tenure, as well as several semi finals and a final. Thats not as terrible as many will have us think but he looked a nearly man, as do Rodgers and Poch. Theres a little group of managers which i’d put them and people like Roberto Martinez. Just managers who will get you organised and play some nice stuff but will just struggle to win anything on a regular basis if at all.

that said Its a pretty bad time to sack the manager because theres so little available. I also dont know if 26 games is seen as enough time to close a 6 point gap to 4th. Seems like it is but if the new manager/interim fails to do it then Ole will be the excuse. His sacking creates as many questions as it answered.

Siorac

Ten Hag is my first choice by some distance. I don't think he's guaranteed to be a success here - but, given my scars from the past decade, I'm pretty much convinced that he's guaranteed to be a success somewhere else if we don't get him. And 'somewhere else' is going to be Liverpool or City because of course it is.

Other than him, I'd be OK with Poch, Zidane, Mancini, Luis Enrique... and I'd be willing to keep an open mind for Rodgers, too. Southgate signing a new contract with England was a massive relief - I don't think I could have behaved like a mature adult with him in charge.

KingCavani

From what I can see it’s pretty much just Ten Hag fans. Some of the criticism of Pochettino has bordered on slander, acting like he isn’t much of an upgrade on Solskjaer. :lol:

I’d be delighted with Poch or Ten Hag. They’d be extremely exciting appointments for different reasons. Rodgers I’d have reservations about but he still has good qualities and I’d fully support him if he gets the job.

After going through the least qualified coaching staff in the league it’s pretty difficult to stick the nose up at these options.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I will get behind anyone who can make an obvious difference on the training ground.

Whoever we pick there is no automatic right or even realistic expectation to win the league next year - we need to see real progress and a shape first.

Speedicut75

Yeah, do well and people will come around, but the claws will be out again even after one loss.
I don't think for one minute that would be the case if a seasoned manager got the job. Ole enjoyed, in the early stages, a measure of support that was nothing but fulsome, even when we went on some disastrous runs and failed, after sizable spends, to capture any silverware. I know things quickly devolved towards the end, where the vitriol and name calling were concerned, much of which wasn't even germane where the office of manager was concerned.

I think the fanbase will give him time and measure their reaction in accordance to the situation that is present when the change is made. I'm sure some will kick off, but that's the nature of social media, fan boards and all the other platforms that exist to host opinion.

In saying that, after I've read much of this thread, I am getting the distinct impression that Rogers wouldn't get the red carpet treatment, but to suggest the "claws would be out" after one loss is a tad premature I think.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Many of us on here have supported the manager until it became apparent he wasn't up to it, and that's from Moyes to Ole. In between all that I've been a cult member, part of a sect, part of a team that puts the manager before the club, an 'inner', a supporter of lowering standards and an apologist. It would be nice for once to just want the team to win without people desperate to create division but it will happen again because none of the manager's we're linked to have Fergie's CV, and even if they did there would be a collection of people claiming he was 'past it'.
Excellent post and hits the nail on the head. I can’t get my head around supporting this manager or that manager rather than just wanting the team to win.
My expectation of how likely we are to win is different between candidates but I support Manchester United and whoever ends up as Manager of the club will have my unconditional support until they are not the manager anymore.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
My choice was Conte. From what's left, I'll support them of course, but I don't really expect serious competing for silverware from the favourites to the job.

Womp

idiot
I'd do the same thing with Ole - support, even if I have my doubts, hoping that I'm proven wrong.

SirAF

Ageist
As long as it’s not Rodgers or anything crazy I’m 100% onboard!

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
New manager to the glazers “id like to sell x y and z immediately and freshen up these positions please”

Glazers “how is that protecting the value? We were thinking more along the lines of new contracts for those unhappy and underperforming players”

meanwhile our rivals are improving from a position of strength and on the cutting edge of sports science, years of positive recruitment and managerial stability and everything else that goes with it. what I’m really trying to say is if a manager can succeed here and keep everyone happy and not want to blow his own brains out then we are lucky to have him. It’s currently and will continue to be a poisoned chalice with these owners and their weird vision of how a club should be run

croadyman

In all honesty, whoever we get will get my full, unwavering support to begin with and has been the case with Moyes, LVG, Jose and Ole. I have never wanted a manager to fail but I hope we will/ have thoroughly thought out our next plan of action and approach the appointment with more authority and forward thinking.
What will be your new username then

RedDevilRoshi

Looks very very likely it is going to be Poch. I wanted Erik Ten Hag to succeed Ole but will fully support Poch or any other manager we do bring in. It’s the only correct thing to do. Will have my doubt of course but I just hope those doubts gets proven wrong.

BlueHaze

I think at the end of the day regardless who we hire we are still in the same crap situation. What we truly need is football people running things at the top. Then the job for the manager would instantly become easier.

When your bosses are the likes of Woodward, Avrem & Joel Glazer and that other bald fella I can't even remember the name of then you are by default in trouble.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
If it was Brenton I think I'd have to have given some serious thought about just ignoring everything United related for a while. Would have struggled to get behind Southgate as well.

I don't have any particularly strong negative feelings about any of the other serious candidates mentioned. Even if I don't rate Pochettino as particularly special, he's good enough to be given a chance if that's who it ends up being.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I'll support any manager who can come in and sort these feckers out to the point where it doesn't feel like where wasting some of the incredible attacking talent that we have.

It's this sense of waste that has been so discouraging to me over these past few years.

Loon

:lol:
Never. Want whoever comes in to be a success. Never had my first choice yet, but if anyone other than my first choice this time (ten Hag) come in, I want them to do well.

I want United back.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Found it hard to get behind any manager since SAF retired tbh. Moyes was probably the only one who had my interest at the start because I think he did deserve a chance at a top club. Absolutely hated VG, Mou while entertaining in some aspects was always going to implode and the less I say about Ole the better.

For the first time in a long time I'm really looking forward to the future. Now that Southgate isn't an option the future is looking even brighter still. My first choice is Poch but I'd happily get behind ETH and even at a push Rodgers. I can't see anyone else come into the frame so my interest is definitely peaked.

youngrell

Just support whoever it is. I hated the idea of Jose managing us, but when he was announced I wanted him to do well because that meant the team was doing well.

Feeling/thinking anything else is just weird, IMO.

Never understand people's need to be right, even if it's to the detriment of something they support.

RuudTom83

We know very little about what each manager would or wouldn't do with this squad...But it does make you laugh when you see post after post in support of Ten Hag, when 90% of the fans on here will have only watch Ajax a handful of times at most.

Its the same for players...Saul (anyone?) Pepe (anyone?) the uproar on the cafe whenever they don't get the latest player, only to then want to get rid after a few bad performances for the players United do acquire.

Modern football, its all a big joke, best to ignore as much of it as you possibly can.

youmeletsfly

I don't mind who the manager is but I do mind if we hire managers who won jack shit and don't have a style of play.
As long as a new manager comes in, we should support him as all of us want the United of old back.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I've just printed out images of all the available candidates and am planning to fashion a dart board out of whichever one we hire.

I'll then be throwing a single dart each week we lose/draw, aiming to get my whole way around the clock, hoping when I do finally hit that bullseye they'll be gone.

Gandalf

I will always support the Manager until given a reason not to. I do have a preference for ETH but I understand that the club may go in a different direction and I will be 100% behind that choice. Poch has never been my idea of the right guy but you never know when these things are going to click, if he is the choice this could be the perfect job and the perfect squad for him and success will follow, certainly it is possible and I always prefer to take the optimistic view.

largelyworried

You can see people getting entrenched, preparing lines of argument that they're going to use against the new manager if it's not their guy.

OmarUnited4ever

To be honest, I've lost patience, if Poch comes in now, I would want to see a vast improvements in results and performances immediately, I would also want to see some consistency, aside from Chelsea, we should be winning most of the games in the upcoming period.

I'm not gonna say we have a perfect squad but there plenty of good to great players, with the right setup they can do much better.

I also think the players should do everything they can to get out of their own slump and start performing.

MoskvaRed

I’ll admit there is no such thing as a sure bet at United (Klopp would probably have been the closest). And I’m not anti-Poch - my concern, based more on Spurs than PSG (the latter being a one-off club), is that we could get diverted into another comfortable narrative about “progress and development” rather than focusing on winning in the here and now.

On the plus side, Poch’s experience working with Daniel Levy is probably better preparation for working at United than Ten Hag’s time at the well-run Ajax club. Also, after working with massive egos at PSG, he should be able to handle United’s dressing room. All in all, he feels like a solid choice but not one to get the pulse racing.