If we don’t sign anyone this window it shows the club lacks ambition

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Exactly, a Vidal or Rakitic on loan will do just fine.

The thing is everyone is trigger happy, if our long term target is Maddison or Sancho why sign Grealish, Donny, or a RW, surely that will mean we wont sign Maddison over the summer then? But if we found a CM that we can get now and will be valuable squad player, I wouldn't mind seing that kind of signing.
I think our views on the matter are now aligned :)

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
That is all fair. I will judge the club’s direction in the summer, not January. I think the planning was poor last summer and we should have added a midfielder then, but I won’t hold it against them this month. But as you said, you don’t expect a Sancho or Maddison this month, but it appears that these are the players we want to buy, and surely you don’t wish to discourage us from chasing this type of player. Therefore, personally, I’m more anxious about who we DO bring in this month rather than who we don’t, because the last thing I want to see is us moving away from the players we should be targeting because we signed someone else in January who we inevitably need to give a chance etc.

If we can take Vidal on a 6 month loan or something, that’s the sort of deal I’d favour now.
Really good post. People are not taking into account the dangers of a panic buy. Loan signings will make the most sense if we can get that.

Foxbatt

Why would Sancho come to Manchester United to be coached by Ole Gunnar when he can go to clubs that are much more successful currently and being coached by much better coaches?

romufc

Why would Sancho come to Manchester United to be coached by Ole Gunnar when he can go to clubs that are much more successful currently and being coached by much better coaches?
How do you know he is a bad coach?

Rashford, Martial, McT, Fred have all improved?

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
What I actually said, was that if we can get our main targets in January, we obviously should, however - it is well known that this is more difficult to do mid season. Listing major deals done in the summer is no less relevant than your own list, far more primary targets are secured in the summer window for a reason. Again, I’m sure if the club were presented with the opportunity to buy Sancho or Maddison this month, they would do.

Fans just vent emotionally. The same ones who are demanding we bring in the top talent in January will turn around and say ‘I expect Pogba to leave in the summer, but we won’t sell him in January’. Why not? Is it not a transfer window where teams have signed players before?

Simply put, I don’t want us settling. We should target the right players, and if we have reason to believe those are available in the summer, then we should wait, if they are available now, we will buy them.
Ginormous stretch to say that all the top clubs doing big business isn’t relevant to whether or not united would be able to and saying its as irrelevant as transfers that are done in January is hilarious.
In your second point you’re making things up (unless you can provide plenty of evidence of the same people saying they want top talent now and saying Pogba won’t leave, which I imagine you’re not prepared to do, fair play if you are)
We should target the right players, and given how short we clearly are in midfield we should target them now, whilst the transfer window is open.
To say we can’t is an excuse, the idea that there is no talent available is something the glazers are likely to come out with, but I didn’t think the fans would be too.

Woeisme

What I actually said, was that if we can get our main targets in January, we obviously should, however - it is well known that this is more difficult to do mid season. Listing major deals done in the summer is no less relevant than your own list, far more primary targets are secured in the summer window for a reason. Again, I’m sure if the club were presented with the opportunity to buy Sancho or Maddison this month, they would do.

Fans just vent emotionally. The same ones who are demanding we bring in the top talent in January will turn around and say ‘I expect Pogba to leave in the summer, but we won’t sell him in January’. Why not? Is it not a transfer window where teams have signed players before?

Simply put, I don’t want us settling. We should target the right players, and if we have reason to believe those are available in the summer, then we should wait, if they are available now, we will buy them.
It's quite painful to read your posts. You see things I don't and are blind to what I see clearly.
It was very obvious in last seasons run in that we were extremely deficient in the midfield area. It was polarised for everyone by the way a champions league place slipped away, because we took a mere 2 pts from the last 15 available (Scoring 2 goals in our last 5 games). We finished 32 pts off the pace, meaning we were as close to relegation as we were to a title.
We sacked our manager at Christmas. So we had half the season for our new manager to assess what was needed and identify targets to improve us.
Despite this time to assess and the additional 3 months of the summer, we chose not to sign a midfielder. We settled for what we had. Despite knowing that our midfield had actually deteriorated. Another 4 months have now passed, unsurprisingly, we find ourselves 30pts behind the leaders and you come out with
I wouldn’t be surprised if we signed nobody, nor would I have much issue with it if we didn’t. People need to get over this kindergarten stroppy mentality that they are the only ones who have thought of strengthening the squad either and that nobody at United has the intention of doing so
Painful.
Painful that you as a UTD fan are content with your lot and are happy to wait another 5 months before attempting to address an issue that has existed for this long already.
Painful that it is obvious that "nobody at United has the intention of doing so". Because if there was an intention to do so, it would be done.

This is a club of means. We have money, (Money that the club generates itself), We have tradition, history and reputation. If our focus was on fixing our footballing problems, we would have the where with all to do so. Of course it would have to be done right, but we have the means to do it right and to also do it right now.
Hire a DOF. Decide what style and direction you want to implement
Hire a top manager who's philosophies align with that direction.
Hire top coaches to support that manager
Identify talented players with skill sets to match the direction
Go get those players.

I'm not foolish enough to think that you can do that overnight. But you can recognise that this is whats required overnight.The second you do, you can start. What frustrates me is that we still haven't started and more to the point, we have no intention of starting. Because unfortunately our focus is not on fixing our footballing issue. It's on running an efficient business. The investment required to fix football is detrimental to business. We suck, we won't win anything.. but our share prices have gone up, we are making money just the way we are. This is why we aren't buying anyone this January. This is clear to me. It irks the sh!t out of me. But whats worse than this, is that fellow supporters like you, buy the rhetoric that the club spins about "No value. Difficulties of January windows. Money available for right players. 3 year rebuilds." etc etc.

Its easy to be patient and wait for the next window, to refuse to settle, when you already have Jlings. Right? I guarantee you right now, your patience will not be rewarded. The Manchester Utd Hierarchy are slowly strangling the essence of this club (The football team) and your acceptance facilitates them.
kindergarten stroppy mentality
Indeed.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
exactly my thinking, Ole certainly isn’t a draw to any player he’s a nobody in managerial terms, I think the club as a whole isn’t as big of a draw as it was anymore, players would do anything to get here but the fact is there are much better clubs for footballers to make a move and further their career.

The only way we get a player now is either by vastly overpaying in a transfer fee and/or vastly overpaying in wages.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Do people think players will be interested in signing for Lampard? By most logic used in this threas they would not consider it. What about Arteta? Same issue there right? Coach with insufficient experience, lacks the required credibility at this time. If it's different explain how it is different

Foxbatt

Fred was already a Brasilian International before he came to Manchester United. People should be aware that there is life before United for many players. Martial was always supposed to be next Henry and that is why we paid so much for him and as for Rashford he would improve a lot more under a better coach.
Why do I think he is a bad coach? He is a better coach than coaches who are worse than him. But there are much better coaches than him managing clubs who are winning trophies and competing for trophies. No one has ever claimed that Ole is a top coach. Not even Manchester United Board. So why would Sancho ever think of coming here when he has so many options? Just like Haarland did.

Foxbatt

Do people think players will be interested in signing for Lampard? By most logic used in this threas they would not consider it. What about Arteta? Same issue there right? Coach with insufficient experience, lacks the required credibility at this time. If it's different explain how it is different
Yes they would right now. If they also fail drastically like Ole then it is obvious then they would not. If Maguire has been at Leicester he would be playing in the CL next year most probably. With United now he will be hoping that he can get a good manager and obviously some quality players too. In the last summer Ole had the credit to do so but no longer.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yes they would right now. If they also fail drastically like Ole then it is obvious then they would not. If Maguire has been at Leicester he would be playing in the CL next year most probably. With United now he will be hoping that he can get a good manager and obviously some quality players too. In the last summer Ole had the credit to do so but no longer.
A 5 point difference between players wanting to sign for you and drastic failure seems a bit harsh. ;)
In all seriousness, do you reckon players still sign for managers specifically, especially ones that haven’t proven anything?
The likes of lampard, Arteta and Ole could be sacked within the 12 months and it wouldn’t be that surprising, so a player would be bold to sign for any of their clubs mainly due to them imo.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
A 5 point difference between players wanting to sign for you and drastic failure seems a bit harsh. ;)
In all seriousness, do you reckon players still sign for managers specifically, especially ones that haven’t proven anything?
The likes of lampard, Arteta and Ole could be sacked within the 12 months and it wouldn’t be that surprising, so a player would be bold to sign for any of their clubs mainly due to them imo.
It's not a bit harsh. It's just wrong. Spin from the Ole haters. Players wont sign for him but they will sign for Lampard or Arteta......just because

Son

The club need to look at this in a positive light now. There are some brilliant players available on the market who can improve our midfield options currently.

If they do there job right by the end of the summer we should easily be a top 4 side for next season. Absolutely zero reason why not since we are knocking on the door without a midfield this season.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Day 10 in the United Transfer News Room.

1/3 of the way through the window.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

momo83

Massive Snowflake

Your talking as if Rashford, Martial, and McT were previously crap at Man Utd. As for Fred I’ve always said he’s in our strongest starting 11 and just needed time. But credit to Ole. Improvement via coaching for Rashford and Martial isn’t just giving them playing time and letting their talent shine through, its ironing out the flaws in their game. Like what Pep did to Sterling.

Foxbatt

Yes they could and if they start failing then the world class top players won't sign for Lampard and Arteta. Do you think Maguire would have signed now for Ole and Manchester United? Ole had the credit in the summer to get some top players but not anymore. The same would be with Lampard and Arteta too as right now they have the ability to do so. Come end of the season if they fail, then they will be in the same boat.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
Your talking as if Rashford, Martial, and McT were previously crap at Man Utd. As for Fred I’ve always said he’s in our strongest starting 11 and just needed time. But credit to Ole. Improvement via coaching for Rashford and Martial isn’t just giving them playing time and letting their talent shine through, its ironing out the flaws in their game. Like what Pep did to Sterling.
As I have seen in Norway, one of Ole's strengths is actually coaching forwards. Maybe due to himself having been a very good striker.
Haaland has given him cred, and also Rashford and Martial have said nice things about his coaching. Martial for instance has been asked to be a lot more direct and to take more runs and work on his positioning.
I do think a DOF would help Ole FOCUS more on this stuff though, but I for one believe Ole is great at coaching. And imo he has proved he can beat the best managers tactically.

I would love to see the squad get bolstered with the correct players and Ole get vindicated so I can post a million screenshots from the condescenders in here :D

Reactions: Rood

hobbers

:lol: No they haven't. Not as a result of Ole's input at any rate.

Martial is not one jot different than he was under Mourinho or indeed LVG. He's good one game and absent the next.

McTominay and Rashford have simply been played regularly, nothing to do with coaching.

Fred may have improved from coaching or just simply from adapting to the league in his own time.

Foxbatt

As I have seen in Norway, one of Ole's strengths is actually coaching forwards. Maybe due to himself having been a very good striker.
Haaland has given him cred, and also Rashford and Martial have said nice things about his coaching. Martial for instance has been asked to be a lot more direct and to take more runs and work on his positioning.
I do think a DOF would help Ole FOCUS more on this stuff though, but I for one believe Ole is great at coaching. And imo he has proved he can beat the best managers tactically.

I would love to see the squad get bolstered with the correct players and Ole get vindicated so I can post a million screenshots from the condescenders in here :D
And they came back and beat him comprehensively. No one doubts that Ole was a great striker but as a coach he is no where near good enough quality to coach a top club. It is also obvious that Martial and Rashford would say nice things about him after all he is their boss. They are not going to turn around and say he is cack.
In Norway he was good enough but not in the PL.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
1) As I have seen in Norway, one of Ole's strengths is actually coaching forwards. 1.a)Maybe due to himself having been a very good striker.

2) I would love to see the squad get bolstered with the correct players and Ole get vindicated so I can post a million screenshots from the condescenders in here :D
1) Yeah we’ve seen Ole’s coaching.:lol::lol::lol: “Just shoot, don’t look to see if there‘s a player in a better position, don’t consider angles or keeper position or if the defender is right infront of you.... JUST FECKING SHOOOT”

1.a) Klopp was a third rate striker and defender yet coaches players of all positions to play completely different to his playing style. Pep, Poch , SAF, Ancelloti, blah blah all coach and improve players across all positions.

2) Yes I would love for a miracle and Ole not to squander any more money that’s given to him and be successful in putting us back to the top.

cosimas

I cannot believe that the board (or whichever group of people make this decision these days) are seriously sitting down now and agreeing that our squad does not need strengthening in this window, especiallly in midfield. The only reason I can think of is that the relevant players are not available immediately, in which case, sign them up now for a summer transfer. It beggars belief that we are not doing that right now.

Slysi17

What a stupid comment. Ole is a bad coach because as fans we watch Manchester United and see it through our own eyes genius.

romufc

But isnt that part of a coaches role? The goal Rashford scored on Saturday IMO is down to Ole, he keeps insisting that he needs to get into those positions more often.

romufc

What a stupid comment. Ole is a bad coach because as fans we watch Manchester United and see it through our own eyes genius.
It's only stupid for people like you. I am not a fan of Ole as the manager but I am not naive enough to see he has improved certain players. Rashford is having his best goal scoring season.

So Ole is to blame when we play crap and everything but when a player shows improvement he deserves no credit?

Slysi17

It's only stupid for people like you. I am not a fan of Ole as the manager but I am not naive enough to see he has improved certain players. Rashford is having his best goal scoring season.

So Ole is to blame when we play crap and everything but when a player shows improvement he deserves no credit?
Well great he has improved Rashford and other players so deserves credit. But there is literally been no progress in terms of how the team plays. Still wasteful in possession as we create sod all chances and still having defensive issues like last season. When I watch ues play, I have no clue what Ole is trying to do. I am just saying Ole isn't a good coach/tactician from what I seen. I love the guy but he is out of his depth. I don't blame him at all. It's Ed Woodward and co who I blame.

romufc

Rashford is doing good I admit. But there is literally been no progress in terms of how the team plays. Still wasteful in possession as we create sod all chances and still having defensive issues like last season. When I watch us play, I have no clue what Ole is trying to do. I am just saying Ole isn't a good coach/tactician from what I seen. I love the guy but he is out of his depth.
I agree that the team is not playing well and I do not get what type of football we want to play. it seems when we play anything other than counter attack there is no style.

I only mentioned coaching ability in terms of individual players. He has done more to improve them than Jose did.

He would be better of in a coaching role for the strikers.

Slysi17

I agree that the team is not playing well and I do not get what type of football we want to play. it seems when we play anything other than counter attack there is no style.

I only mentioned coaching ability in terms of individual players. He has done more to improve them than Jose did.

He would be better of in a coaching role for the strikers.
I ain't going to be mean to Ole. It ain't his fault he was given the job. It's Ed Woodward and co who should take the blame for where we are and giving him the job. Should just hire Poch as he is the best choice available at the moment. Thinking Ole could be his assistant maybe.

romufc

I ain't going to be mean to Ole. It ain't his fault he was given the job. It's Ed Woodward and co who should take the blame for where we are and giving him the job. Should just hire Poch as he is the best choice available at the moment. Thinking Ole could be his assistant maybe.
Exactly, he is ambitious and most people would like to think they can do a job and manage the best, otherwise they wouldnt be a manager. Ole must have thought and probably still thinks he can do well.

The club have to judge if he is capable, I am sure you would have people at the club speaking to coaches, players etc and getting an insight to Ole and his coaching.

He needs to improve somehow.

Slysi17

Exactly, he is ambitious and most people would like to think they can do a job and manage the best, otherwise they wouldnt be a manager. Ole must have thought and probably still thinks he can do well.

The club have to judge if he is capable, I am sure you would have people at the club speaking to coaches, players etc and getting an insight to Ole and his coaching.

He needs to improve somehow.
Yep he needs to improve massively otherwise he won't have the job for much longer. If it was his decision to not buy an attacking midfielder like Bruno Ferandes due to wanting to give Lingard and Perriera a chance, that's a sackable offence in itself.

Yakuza_devils

There is no urgency at all to sign player as if we comfortably in TOP 4 challenging for the EPL title!

We are run like a cash strapped, no planning and no ambition club instead of the biggest club in the world.

Infra-red

There is no urgency at all to sign player as if we comfortably in TOP 4 challenging for the EPL title!

We are run like a cash strapped, no planning and no ambition club instead of the biggest club in the world.
Quiet summer ahead too, transfer-wise. By mid-July Ed will be briefing about the impossibility of signing players while the Euros are on.

Expect next season's XI will be pretty much the same as this one's.

Strelok

It's quite painful to read your posts. You see things I don't and are blind to what I see clearly.
It was very obvious in last seasons run in that we were extremely deficient in the midfield area. It was polarised for everyone by the way a champions league place slipped away, because we took a mere 2 pts from the last 15 available (Scoring 2 goals in our last 5 games). We finished 32 pts off the pace, meaning we were as close to relegation as we were to a title.
We sacked our manager at Christmas. So we had half the season for our new manager to assess what was needed and identify targets to improve us.
Despite this time to assess and the additional 3 months of the summer, we chose not to sign a midfielder. We settled for what we had. Despite knowing that our midfield had actually deteriorated. Another 4 months have now passed, unsurprisingly, we find ourselves 30pts behind the leaders and you come out with

Painful.
Painful that you as a UTD fan are content with your lot and are happy to wait another 5 months before attempting to address an issue that has existed for this long already.
Painful that it is obvious that "nobody at United has the intention of doing so". Because if there was an intention to do so, it would be done.

This is a club of means. We have money, (Money that the club generates itself), We have tradition, history and reputation. If our focus was on fixing our footballing problems, we would have the where with all to do so. Of course it would have to be done right, but we have the means to do it right and to also do it right now.
Hire a DOF. Decide what style and direction you want to implement
Hire a top manager who's philosophies align with that direction.
Hire top coaches to support that manager
Identify talented players with skill sets to match the direction
Go get those players.

I'm not foolish enough to think that you can do that overnight. But you can recognise that this is whats required overnight.The second you do, you can start. What frustrates me is that we still haven't started and more to the point, we have no intention of starting. Because unfortunately our focus is not on fixing our footballing issue. It's on running an efficient business. The investment required to fix football is detrimental to business. We suck, we won't win anything.. but our share prices have gone up, we are making money just the way we are. This is why we aren't buying anyone this January. This is clear to me. It irks the sh!t out of me. But whats worse than this, is that fellow supporters like you, buy the rhetoric that the club spins about "No value. Difficulties of January windows. Money available for right players. 3 year rebuilds." etc etc.

Its easy to be patient and wait for the next window, to refuse to settle, when you already have Jlings. Right? I guarantee you right now, your patience will not be rewarded. The Manchester Utd Hierarchy are slowly strangling the essence of this club (The football team) and your acceptance facilitates them.
Indeed.
Good post Sir, can't agree more.

It's pretty crazy imo to say we don't need to buy this Jan looking at the current state of our squad. It'd be such a horrible scenario that I don't even want to imagine what if Fred is injured now.

Denis79

Quiet summer ahead too, transfer-wise. By mid-July Ed will be briefing about the impossibility of signing players while the Euros are on.

Expect next season's XI will be pretty much the same as this one's.
Why be proactive when being reactive is so much fun!