If we get 4th or 3rd place, are we interested in Europa League?

dalriada

Not a lot of reaction in the Caf to the EL draw, and I wondered if there's a view that we're not interested in it if we qualify for ECL through the EPL, which is now likely unless our form dips in the remaining matches?

Is it worth the effort, as it's a trophy, or would we be better to risk going out early to protect our squad for a shortened summer break (and give youth and squad players some game time)?

Naturally, if we missed out on 4th or 3rd, the situation would be different.

On a separate note, if we play Copenhagen, we meet Guillermo Varela and Bryan Oviedo. And start practicing how to say Sotirios Papagiannopoulos (who is Swedish). If we play İstanbul Başakşehir, we meet up with Gaël Clichy, Demba Ba, Martin Škrtel and Robinho, plus a few others who've played in England.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
What on earth? Of course we are it’s a major european trophy. There’s not been much reaction because it’s at the end of the season.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I want Ole to win as many trophies as possible as United manager.

I also want to go into next season, whenever that will be, fresh and ready.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Yes go for the win

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
God no, I'd rather the fourth place trophy than a major European trophy that can actually sit in our cabinet.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Yes.

It would be pretty funny if Liverpool winning the league was a little bit overshadowed by United winning the Europa League and FA Cup double while going on a record breaking league run to secure 3rd from the depths of mid table.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
We would be in with the top seeds in the CL if we won it. We would be in pot 2 if we just made it via the top 4.

RedDevilRoshi

WTF? Of course we should take it seriously and I’m sure Ole will even if we finish in the top 4. It’s a trophy at the end of the day.

Also if you were to ask the question would you rather finish top 4 or win the Europa League, it would easily be the Europa.

Relfy

100% we need to go for the win. Winning something with this squad will be a big boost going into next season. Would also give Ole a trophy, hopefully 2, which will hopefully stop the silly PE teacher tag.

TrustInOle

Yes.

It would be pretty funny if Liverpool winning the league was a little bit overshadowed by United winning the Europa League and FA Cup double while going on a record breaking league run to secure 3rd from the depths of mid table.
This.

Lynty

Its after season ended, so of no immediate concern. Plus we should be sweeping aside everyone left with the exception of Inter and Wolves.

Get the season done and I'm really looking forward to Europe.

Chairman Steve

Play a weakened team against LASK on 5th August, whilst all the big hitters are on an almost two week break. Last league game is 26th July. FA Cup Final is 1st August if we get there and may throw a spanner in the works for the rest period.

Quarter finals are 10th/11th August, Semis on 16th August, Final on 21st August.

Its doable I say, and we should go for it. The quarters and semis are one off games in Germany too.

reddevilchennai

Winning EL gives us a chance to win Super Cup. Two cups to add to our trophy cabinet. So why should we take it slightly?

And this will give a lot of confidence to Ole and the boys to get into the next season.

edgecutter

The fact that the Europa League takes place after the Premier League's conclusion should warrant us going for it. Had the competition started now, I would be all for sending the under 14s to play than scarifice our chance finishing in the top 4.

flappyjay

Winning an fa cup and Europa league double would be the cherry on top for Ole's 1st full season.

Man-United

There's not really any league games in between to rest players for so no reason to not take it serious.

keithsingleton

If City get suspended on Monday which basically means we're in CL he will rest players in league and go for both cups. Well at least that's what I would do.

I’m starting to like the idea of a post season ‘tournament’ watching the semi finals and finals of the Europa and CL.

AshRK

I never understand why these kind of thread are even made. Its a trophy and would do our team world of good if we win considering this team is growing and any trophy this season will boost them.

wrinklydong

Yes, as a big club we should always push the team to get every trophy. Its doable with this squad and may help justify why we still need strengthening with quality squad depth. Besides, its good addition to Ole's CV which some of our supporters are moaning about.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yes, I dont know why anyone don't want to win a trophy. It's European competition, we will be in Pot 1, our coefficients will improve, to make it all better we will get a good trophy.

Man-United

If City get suspended on Monday which basically means we're in CL he will rest players in league and go for both cups. Well at least that's what I would do.
Can they not appeal again? Seem like there's an appeal until a club wins who's been banned..

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Change thread title to:

"Do we want to win a trophy if we get 3. or 4. in another competition?"

youngrell

Would be a great way to end the season if we can grab both cups along with finishing 3rd or 4th.

The trophies would also go a long way to shut up the people who still cling onto Mourinho.

Ace of Spades

I don't see how top 4 is in anyway connected to the EL. The EL starts after the PL is over, so if you are playing football after that then you will try to win a trophy anyways, top 4 or not.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Yes, 4th place is not a trophy.

Finishing in the top 4 is important because it allows us to attract better players as we rebuild after seven years of s-t.

Finishing in the top 4 is not an achievement. It's a means to an end. Man Utd is about winning trophies. I want to win the Europa League.

dalriada

I never understand why these kind of thread are even made. Its a trophy and would do our team world of good if we win considering this team is growing and any trophy this season will boost them.
Don't get me wrong, I hope we win it, and if we can do it and rotate the squad, that's a bonus. But not that long ago, when we were regularly in the ECL, people were deriding the Europa League as a poor man's Champions League, and you can see a point of view that says, why risk wearing out (or getting injuries) to key players when the new season is likely to start very soon after the EL "mini tournament" and we're already back in the ECL anyway and the EL is just an alternate route to ECL?
But agree a trophy would be a good lift for the team and the supporters, and Ole seems up for it. Of course, if we weren't to start the new season well, I suspect some people would be pointing a finger at the EL.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
100%. The fact it will be after the season is even better.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Absolutely I want to win the Europa League. For one the tournament has increased a lot in repute the last few years, secondly I want to beat Inter 4-0 in the finals. Most importantly its a trophy that the team can hold in their hands and lift in the air, that's what matters in this sport.

NoneBmStore

Yes.

"A record breaking league run" sounds like something from the Scouse boom-bust cycle.
Also, it wouldn't overshadow it. Pool have been immense this season.