If we get 4th or 3rd place, are we interested in Europa League?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
This would be a valid question but a little stupid question if it was a normal season and the Europa was going on at the same time as the league. It’s now just a stupid question full stop given the league will be over with when the Europa comes round so we will have nothing else to play for but the Europe. Obviously we should be interested.

DeSign

Plus there's a chance to beat Inter Milan with a certain Lukaku in it

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
I don't give much importance to our 2016-17 win (beyond a place in CL) and probably won't care about this one either in a couple of years.
That's surprising. Winning that final against Ajax was a brilliant night. I remember everything so well and felt just as excited and tense throughout the game as I did during our Champions League finals of the past. Winning European finals will always be an important achievement particularly given our history and what the club stands for. Absolutely buzzing for us to go all out in August and hopefully lift that trophy again.

Giggsy13

For a club of our size our European trophy haul is underwhelming. Finish 3rd and go for Europa.

CG1010

That's surprising. Winning that final against Ajax was a brilliant night. I remember everything so well and felt just as excited and tense throughout the game as I did during our Champions League finals of the past. Winning European finals will always be an important achievement particularly given our history and what the club stands for. Absolutely buzzing for us to go all out in August and hopefully lift that trophy again.
Even I was tense but probably because that was our ticket to CL football and a trophy nonetheless. If we look at 'big' clubs and how many times they have won the trophy:

Manchester United - 1
Bayern Munich - 1
Ajax - 1
Barcelona - 0
Real Madrid - 2

The clubs whom compare ourselves with, haven't won it much. So I doubt us winning another final would be ever considered a very important achievement. Let's face it, for a club of our size, its more a sign of mediocrity than excellence. While I would be happy to win it considering our squad, its not likely to be a trophy I would glowingly look back upon in a few years time as fan.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
This would be a valid question but a little stupid question if it was a normal season and the Europa was going on at the same time as the league. It’s now just a stupid question full stop given the league will be over with when the Europa comes round so we will have nothing else to play for but the Europe. Obviously we should be interested.
The fact its not a normal season makes the question valid imo. We are allowing other teams to rest, re-set and have a proper pre-season whilst we carry on the season, potentially 3/4 weeks longer.

I love European football, and would love to win the Europa league again, but I could also see the merits if we had already secured top 4 (not in an Arsenal celebration way, more the fact we can attract the targets we want) and then challenge for the title next season.

Either way it doesn't matter, as Ole will want trophies, as all us football fans want.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
In what universe should United not focus on a trophy, let alone in a time frame where all you have is the rest of the tournament? Some of yall need to Fergie hairdryer.

The only reason not to focus on a trophy is because something else takes priority.

No matter what happens between now at the restart of the EL, we should be playing those games with the absolute intention of winning the thing.

Even I was tense but probably because that was our ticket to CL football and a trophy nonetheless. If we look at 'big' clubs and how many times they have won the trophy:

Manchester United - 1
Bayern Munich - 1
Ajax - 1
Barcelona - 0
Real Madrid - 2

The clubs whom compare ourselves with, haven't won it much. So I doubt us winning another final would be ever considered a very important achievement. Let's face it, for a club of our size, its more a sign of mediocrity than excellence. While I would be happy to win it considering our squad, its not likely to be a trophy I would glowingly look back upon in a few years time as fan.
You are asking the wrong question.

Is it better to win it, or not? The answer is win.

Giggsy13

Manchester United - 1
Bayern Munich - 1
Ajax - 1
Barcelona - 0
Real Madrid - 2

You left out our biggest rival. Liverpool have won it 3 times. I’m sure none of their supporters would give those trophies back because it is considered elite. In fact they seemed pretty gutted when they lost the final in 2016. As a club we’ve won 5 total trophies in Europe compared to the dippers 9. For a club that should’ve won more in Europe, we shouldn’t be sticking our noses up at any chance to do add to our trophy haul.

SirScholes

100% yes

is there not the super cup and World Club championship that would really show the world we’re back

CG1010

You are asking the wrong question.

Is it better to win it, or not? The answer is win.
Of course it's better to win it. And I said we should play our best team. But I won't be too bothered if we don't win if we are in CL already. Bear in mind lots of posters have argued in the past that it's maybe better to be not in it, than to play Thursday.

Of course it's better to win it. And I said we should play our best team. But I won't be too bothered if we don't win if we are in CL already. Bear in mind lots of posters have argued in the past that it's maybe better to be not in it, than to play Thursday.
Roger that. I certainly understand fans not wanting to take it 100% seriously when it’s played in the regular season - it’s a massive number of games to go and win it.

Unfortunately the expansion of the CL has a detrimental effect on the EL (and previous versions) for a long time. The introduction of a CL space for the winners has helped massively.

Whilst not the same competition, one of my fondest memories was winning the Cup Winners Cup in 91.

always_hoping

Of course interested, United haven't won a trophy since 2017. A better trophy to win than the two domestic Cups IMO.

Tiber

Winning trophies will cement Ole's position and power within the club

Andersons Dietician

If we had qualified for champs league through the league I wouldn’t really care about it. However there is something to be said for winning breads confidence and maybe the team could use a bit of silver wear to put a stamp on all their good work.

I would think also for Ole any silver wear would be a massive stamp on his CV and a European trophy no matter which one would look good on it. So I think we’ll go for it.

AFC NimbleThumb

I don’t get fans who disregard any competition we enter; if United are in it we should be trying to win it - we should be trying to win every game.

Gasolin

We would be in with the top seeds in the CL if we won it. We would be in pot 2 if we just made it via the top 4.
Really? That makes it interesting. I'd do anything to meet Inter and Lukaku... and beat them, show them what type of football we now play. So that he can feel the difference. All of them actually, Young, Sanchez... let them feel the pain of facing a full force Manchester United in a final.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
If we had qualified for champs league through the league I wouldn’t care about it. However there is something to be said for winning breads confidence and maybe the team could use a bit of silver wear to put a stamp on all their good work.

I would think also for Ole any silver wear would be a massive stamp on his CV and a European trophy no matter which one would look good on it. So I think we’ll go for it.
Yeah, winning both the FA and EL cups, along with a top-three finish in the league, would be a great platform to build from going into next season. It would also put to bed any suggestion that Ole is inferior to Poch, as the latter failed to win anything with Spurs.

Winning the trophies available to us right now are hugely important if you ask me.

Of course interested, United haven't won a trophy since 2017. A better trophy to win than the two domestic Cups IMO.
I would take the FA Cup over the EL. We need to reclaim being the most successful club in The FA Cup and take that back from Arsenal. Far more prestigious. Still want to win the EL as well.

davidmichael

If we get third or fourth then go on to win both or one of the FA Cup and/or Europa then we’ll head into next season with massive momentum so of course we should take it seriously, we need to start a winning mentality in the squad rather than just being happy getting to the late stages of competitions or finishing in the top four (we’re not Arsenal) and if it starts with the FA Cup and/or Europa then I’m all for it.

m1tch

Getting this team used to playing (and hopefully winning) in cup finals is never going to be anything other than a great thing.
The way it's being held this year is much more favourable than normal, but we'll have to on top form to get past some of the teams we could meet.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Really? That makes it interesting. I'd do anything to meet Inter and Lukaku... and beat them, show them what type of football we now play. So that he can feel the difference. All of them actually, Young, Sanchez... let them feel the pain of facing a full force Manchester United in a final.
https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsl...pions-league-group-stage-draw-pots-confirmed/

Pot 1 consists of the holders, the UEFA Europa League winners and the champions of the six highest-ranked nations. Pots 2 to 4 are determined by the club coefficient rankings.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Yes, especially as it comes after the PL season finishes. Absolutely no reason to not go all out for it and make another statement that this young side can win trophies in knock out competitions too.

It would also give us Champions League football too so there really isn’t a downside or reason to view it dimly.

Maticmaker

Yes of course, we need to keep winning at everything we enter for, that's where success is found, 'pot collecting' becomes part of the DNA!

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
What a question!
Damn right we are interested in it.
A club should try to win every competition its in. Be ambitious.
Especially a club like United.
Win everything possible.

ChaddyP

Not a lot of reaction in the Caf to the EL draw, and I wondered if there's a view that we're not interested in it if we qualify for ECL through the EPL, which is now likely unless our form dips in the remaining matches?

Is it worth the effort, as it's a trophy, or would we be better to risk going out early to protect our squad for a shortened summer break (and give youth and squad players some game time)?

Naturally, if we missed out on 4th or 3rd, the situation would be different.

On a separate note, if we play Copenhagen, we meet Guillermo Varela and Bryan Oviedo. And start practicing how to say Sotirios Papagiannopoulos (who is Swedish). If we play İstanbul Başakşehir, we meet up with Gaël Clichy, Demba Ba, Martin Škrtel and Robinho, plus a few others who've played in England.
I'm sorry but this is absurd to me. Its a major trophy that we should go all out for. Doing any different would be daft and completely out of character for our club. Win at all costs

SAFMUTD

If I had to choose Ill choose the league, being in top 4 is a priority, but since the league will be over before the europa league we should aim to win it. It will be good for the club and players confidence to solidify the good run winning at least a minor trophy.

Falcow

We would be in with the top seeds in the CL if we won it. We would be in pot 2 if we just made it via the top 4.
Very interesting. I didnt know that. More of an incentive then. Though the break pool will have before new season is a big advantage for them. So long as we finish in top 4 I'm not too bothered to be honest about it.

ruskyline

+1

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Are we interested to win a trophy? So only trophy which is important are PL and CL?
If you play in some competition they your goal is to win it. From community shield to Champions league