If we get more points than everyone else in our next 25 league games…

Brophs

The One and Only
Not necessarily. We should go through the process we didn't last time to see if he's the right man for the job or whether he was just suited to a particular role at a particular time. I think it was Rory Smith who had a good article along these lines. In places like Italy, they hire managers who are, say, suited to coming in and rescuing a season and once they've done that job you send them on their way and try to sort the longer term appointment. In England, doing a good job as a caretaker or interim gets you the job and we as United fans are uniquely well placed to know that isn't necessarily the right way to go.

But if he does a fantastic job and that progress seems genuinely replicable, it should be an option.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
It meant nothing because the team collapsed after he had become permanent.
Well that too yeah. Point being we shouldn't be reactionary and make Rangnick the manager unless for example we win the CL. Then it would be very difficult to not give it him.

R'hllor

Nope, mainly because i believe that he has way higher interest in building shit and promoting his agency. Think thats his goal, contractual advisor where he is not obliged to one club only but agency can actually have multiple deals in the same time.

Pickle85

No. Get Ten Haag in and move Ralf upstairs. Stop being a prisoner to the moment.
This is well articulated and also how I feel.
I see quite a few people asking for Ten Haag after RR but aren't their 'philosophies' quite different? From the admittedly little I've seen of ETH's Ajax they look a very different proposition to previous RR sides. Would hate us to do another LVG to Mou type move where we ignore the style of the incumbent (particularly given RR will hang around and have influence for a couple of years after this season) and hire based purely on reputation.

MattofManchester

I see quite a few people asking for Ten Haag after RR but aren't their 'philosophies' quite different? From the admittedly little I've seen of ETH's Ajax they look a very different proposition to previous RR sides.
I don't see this. Ten Hag is similar to Pep in style, but more direct. Van Gaal and the like were finished managers who are worst case scenarios.
I don't see the big difference.
Largely, RR will lay the groundwork, someone like Ten Hag will implement a longer term style.

I especially like Ten Hag as he has shown his Ajax sides are quite adaptive.

AFC NimbleThumb

Would he want it. I don’t know him personally so won’t speak for what he’s thinking but he’d be in such a strong position if he did & then moved upstairs.

The opportunity to be the man that redefines Manchester United from top to bottom outweighs staying on as manager cause he wins a cup or something.

MasterCode

A lot of people are setting their hopes on Ten Haag and IMO they are doomed for dissapointment. He is clearly Peps replacement for city in a couple seasons.

I'd be surprised if we got him, really surprised. He is from the Bielsa/Pep tree. I don't see RR setting us up for Gegen and then helping select a more possession and positional oriented manager.

I can see him helping us get a manager which is fruit from his tree - Marco Rose, Hassenhutl etc, and if not the club want Poch. Let's see it, will be interesting.

Personally if RR does well I have no issue with him taking it full time but I would need to see foundations put in which would be hard to eradicate. That is if RR built something solid, that was sustainable and competitive it would be silly to bin it and start a new "philosophy" all over again - in the name of a new manager.

hobbers

Of course not.

He quit Schalke after getting them to the CL semi final in 2011, citing stress and burnout. That was at Schalke. When he was 10 years younger.

Let him go and do what he does best, go upstairs and be a director of football. Selecting the manager, big influence on who we sign. If he does well in the next 6 months he'll still be playing a key role.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Honestly, no. The guy is a club builder, not a manager.

He's previously worked himself sick and he should select a younger man to get us into the 21st century football-wise and ensure the club cannot feck up immediately after he leaves.
This. 100%

Suedesi

…should Rangnick be offered the manager’s job for next season?

If not, why not?
If we do get more points than anyone else in the league, yes, he should be in serious consideration. Also, how he does in the CL should have a bearing.

Though I doubt he will perform short term miracles with the club, I'm more excited about his club building abilities overall.

Daengophile

This is a decision for several months down the road when the picture is much clearer

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I have no doubt RR is a great manager, but if we made him one we're basically selling ourselves short.

We should move him to DOF and get another proven manager in ETH, that way we get the best of both world, making him a manager is piratically capping ourselves

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Everybody answering no is assuming there will be a better option available at end of season. If we win and play well….

What if Poch stays at PSG after winning the CL, what if Madrid or Bayern sack their manager and bring in Ten Haag.

What if it‘s only Rodgers that is available? What if Moyes takes West Ham to top 4?

As long as we stick to a recruitment process and a football structure, we will hopefully make the right decision at the right time.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
If he makes us invincible(and win us the league, 25 games mean 75 points+current 18=93 points, which might win us the league if we beat all of rivals in second round of league) and has a clear idea of tactics and develops players accordingly, of course, but it should not be reactionary like that one night in Paris.

largelyworried

Overall, no. While I'm certainly not someone who thinks every manager has to be a long-term one, by luck rather than by judgment, we've ended up in a good position with regards to a new manager that might stick around. Ten Hag and Pochettino are both available this coming summer, are both (reportedly) interested in the post and are both managers who could give us a good long stint if succesful. Since SAF left, we've managed to always be recruiting at just the wrong time, leaving us with second-tier options. This is the first time in a while that hasn't been the case. I think it would be daft to pass up on one of those two.

We also need to move away from the "Manager is God" model. We've made tentative moves in that direction, but getting Rangnick as the voice in the ear of our DoF could really make things change at the club. If we end up with Rangnick both managing the first team and running the upper management, then we're just making a rod for our own back long term. With a guy who's 63, that isn't a sensible option. It means that, when he leaves, we go back to square one.

Given he'll be working for us in any case, it gives us a sort of safety net. If our new manager doesn't work out we have a great option working away in the background. But overall I think we get a double injection of quality if we keep Rangnick around plus a new manager, and in a way that solves some of our structural failings.

Of course if the guy goes and straight wins the treble or whatever, then it might become impossible not to keep him on. But more points than the league leaders over a partial season feels like an Arsenal kind of trophy, so for me that wouldn't be enough.

Hughie77

Hes come in for rest of the season and to help pick the new guy, is my take on it. Who the new guy is we don't know but can speculate. Poch is one tenhag is another Enrique another but he now looks way off , but it's him I'd like.
This time stick to your plan

SER19

If we win 25 games in a row we end up with 93 pts. Not enough for title in some recent years. That's how disastrous this season has been

…should Rangnick be offered the manager’s job for next season?

If not, why not?
If we play crap and every match is won 1 nil with either an opposition own goal or long range wonder strike by Bruno et al?

This is the most annoying thing about these type question and the scenarios pundits are thinking of to ask “ if x happens should Rangnick get the job long term”

We talk about the the need for long term success but only measure success and whether Rangnick should be given the job long term based on short term benchmarks that are well within the reach of our squad.

We’ve seen Chelsea won the CL in 2012 with Di Matteo but most people realised he wouldn’t last.

So let’s measure Rangnick over the next 6 months by seeing how he improves our style of play, player rotation, does he improve the players he already has at his disposal etc if I see those things and even if we finish 4-6th I’d be up for extending his contract as manager.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
...you probably will still only be fourth

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Don't think so. He's not a top class manager. His record is decent but nothing special. We need someone who has it in him who has the potential to win big trophies by the time he's 62 or whatever Rangnick is. He should help lay tactical foundations and then assits us making good decisions. And more importantly picking a manager who will be better than him.

amolbhatia50k

...you probably will still only be fourth
Will be fine with 4th given we are 6 points behind WH and 5 points behind Arsenal right now whilst playing poor football.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Will be fine with 4th given we are 6 points behind WH and 5 points behind Arsenal right now whilst playing poor football.
I still think you'll be fine for fourth. I know the whole "the players you have are too good not to finish 4th" think is a bit cliché but I really do think it's true.

amolbhatia50k

I still think you'll be fine for fourth. I know the whole "the players you have are too good not to finish 4th" think is a bit cliché but I really do think it's true.
Our squad is miles better than the other contenders but form, confidence, cohesion etc all matter. If we lost to Arsenal or drop more points than them in the coming weeks we could be 8/9 points behind them and having much better players will not matter. So the next few weeks are key to our top 4 hopes.

MattJ166

Absolutely not, his primary role and reason for hiring is for the work he has done upstairs. The ethos, scouting & strategic planning he laid out in the two Red Bull teams is crucial if we want to challenge any time in the next 5/10 years.

He will operate behind the scenes whilst obviously having his say on who our next manager should be. He doesn't mind slight deviations from his philosophy (Nagelsman went to a slightly more possession based approach than him) but the overall style is what will be implemented.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I don't think people read the OP properly. Because I think it's nuts to not take a 25 game run (where 3 of the top 4 teams in Europe are outperformed) as sufficient evidence of a manager's quality.

bonothom

We'll be lucky to get more points than Newcastle the state we're in. Although I reckon if we get 75 points from the next 25 we'll be right back in the title race and it was Ole's first 17 points that really made the difference.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
We'll be lucky to get more points than Newcastle the state we're in.
Have you ever done a cartwheel on the pitch after Ole got a 93rd winner winner?

rotherham_red

I think if we can get him to stay for one more season after this half of the season then that might be the best thing. The reason being, I'm not sure how much of an impact his methods will have on the squad seeing as he's joining just as we're about to enter the busiest, most congested period of the season, and then once that period is over we're having pretty much two games a week every week for the rest of the season anyways.

Give him the full season next year to properly embed his methods and imprint on the team and then move him upstairs. So rather 6 months and 2 years, he instead has 18 months as manager and 2 years as DoF/Consultant.

I understand it's a risk considering we're likely going to have a free run at ETH (who seems to be the big preferred choice for the fanbase at least) this coming summer, but the managers market in 2022 might become drastically different, and some other hitherto unknown name might come up and become the hottest commodity, and if Rangnick is going to have his input he will give us the best possible chance of getting the best possible candidate in any case.

Son

You can’t just pass up on the experience of Ten Hag or Poch and their contacts.

He’s not going anywhere whether he’s manager or behind the scenes so hire a new manager to work with him and bring in more coaches.

We need a full shakeup of the backroom staff. Top to bottom and it won’t happen if Ralf stays as manager I fear. One man does not changed a culture at a club these days and it may take us a few cycles of managers to get the right balance for success.

If you keep bringing in the best in their position though and not just jobs for the boys the standards will pick up in the next 5 years.

Reddevillondoner

No.

We should stick to the original plan. After 6 months move him upstairs.

We don't want to make another Ole mistake by extending his contract and half way through next season start regretting the decision.

He is here to make the club better from top to bottom, he can still make that happen in his consultancy role.

End of season focus on getting ten hag.

MyDevil

You have just jinxed it. Not going to happen.

Even if it happens, we should still stick to the original plan. We need someone to coach the management as well.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Well that too yeah. Point being we shouldn't be reactionary and make Rangnick the manager unless for example we win the CL. Then it would be very difficult to not give it him.
That's very silly.

Manager outperforms Pep, Tuchel, Klopp in 25 games: luck, don't give him the permanent role
Manager flukes the CL: he's definitely qualified

Huh?

Revan

Assumptionman
No, for two reasons:

1) We should have learned from our previous mistake in judging a manager based on a limited run of games with us. We have Rangnick's entire career thus far to judge him on. Doing well as an interim manager with us doesn't suddenly make him a better manager than we already thought he was and few were calling for him to be permanent manager based on that existing track record.

2) We'd likely get more long term value by replacing him with one of the other prime candidates and having his influence at the level above manager for a few years rather than just keeping him in a limited manager role before he inevitably leaves.
Simple as this.