If we sell Lukaku - who will our new CF signing be? Predictions in here...

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Putting this in here as it's essentially a prediction about the Utd first team - but if Mods decide it should be in the Transfer forum I apologize in advance for putting it in the wrong forum!

Anyway, one aspect of this window that is starting to excite me quite a lot, is the prospect of selling (and replacing) Rom, and I say that as someone who likes Lukaku and wanted him to do well here.

But if he is to go, it excites me thinking of OGS - a proven class CF in his own time, signing a new CF.

I'm not really sold on the notion of Solskjaer as manager, but this aspect does genuinely excite me as I think the guy will surely be able to spot a Utd striker better than any manager post SAF.

Yet we aren't really linked with any CFs or at least I haven't seen any rumours there.

So what say you lot - IF we sell Rom, who are your predictions of our CF signing?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
None, Greenwood and Martial will get more opportunities behind Rashford with James, Chong filling in on either wing. There's a bigger hole at center back and defensive midfield to fill in before buying another forward.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Putting this in here as it's essentially a prediction about the Utd first team - but if Mods decide it should be in the Transfer forum I apologize in advance for putting it in the wrong forum!

Anyway, one aspect of this window that is starting to excite me quite a lot, is the prospect of selling (and replacing) Rom, and I say that as someone who likes Lukaku and wanted him to do well here.

But if he is to go, it excites me thinking of OGS - a proven class CF in his own time, signing a new CF.

I'm not really sold on the notion of Solskjaer as manager, but this aspect does genuinely excite me as I think the guy will surely be able to spot a Utd striker better than any manager post SAF.

Yet we aren't really linked with any CFs or at least I haven't seen any rumours there.

So what say you lot - IF we sell Rom, who are your predictions of our CF signing?
Nobody would be my guess

Rashford to play most games there supplemented by Sanchez, Martial, Greenwood

Sods law Rashford gets a long term injury if we do that though

Nico87

I don’t think we will sign anyone, I think Rashford will be 1st choice and Martial will be 1st choice on the left and move centre when Rashford isn’t available with James going into his position, or if James is going to be used on the right I expect Sanchez as 2nd choice with Greenwood as 3rd.

settembrini

No-one.

Solskjaer loves Rashford and he will be out starting striker.

For cover we already have Martial, Sanchez and Greenwood.

Best case is we replace Lukaku with a right winger.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Ben Yedder or Mousa Dembele are the ones we've apparently agreed deals with. Both would be second choice behind Rashford though and who knows maybe we'll even see him moved left and Greenwood through the middle

King Andow

Ben Yedder. Ole said Lukaku will be replaced if he goes. Experienced guy around the young fellas upfront, makes sense.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Ole already stated he would be replaced what's with the naysayers, gosh this place is so negative. I'd assume it would be Ben Yedder, but who knows.

Johan07

Ole already stated he would be replaced what's with the naysayers, gosh this place is so negative. I'd assume it would be Ben Yedder, but who knows.
I dont know, maybe because this is not true?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Ben Yedder fits the bill for me. Poacher, decent on the ball, still a decent age but not really going to get in the way of the youngsters if they're as good as we hope. Would be perfect in my book.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Don't think we'll get anybody if he goes. He's a bench player for Ole if he stays, if he goes, then the bench attacker is basically Greenwood and Sanchez.

Martial is the starting LW heading into the season, Daniel James his backup.
Rashford the starting striker, Sanchez his back up.
RW up for grabs, but between James, Lingard, Mata, Chong, and then Greenwood (IMO will become the starter), I think we'll just ride with it. Many of them can play in other positions as well, so I just think we'll go with what we have and aim to develop them, and give more game time to the younger players as rotation options compared to if Lukaku stayed.

acnumber9

We’re already struggling to do one deal at a time. Unless he’s sold quick it would take a miracle for Woodward to actually replace him.

Tarrou

Because United always talk up transfers and people don't believe it anymore.

SaintMuppet

Nobody.

We can’t sign a defender or a midfielder so another player won’t happen.

It will be somebody already here.

binary bot
An Ibra-esque signing/loan on a one or two year contract would be ideal.

TRUERED89

Don't think we'll get anybody if he goes. He's a bench player for Ole if he stays, if he goes, then the bench attacker is basically Greenwood and Sanchez.

RW up for grabs, but between James, Lingard, Mata, Chong, and then Greenwood (IMO will become the starter), I think we'll just ride with it. Many of them can play in other positions as well, so I just think we'll go with what we have and aim to develop them, and give more game time to the younger players as rotation options compared to if Lukaku stayed.
Someone in another thread has claimed James has said " I find playing on the right more difficult" can anyone substantiate this ?

Johan07

How does this mean buying a replacement? We already have a squad on tour that plus the players that have not joined yet that is way too big for all to be registered for CL for example.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
None, Greenwood and Martial will get more opportunities behind Rashford with James, Chong filling in on either wing. There's a bigger hole at center back and defensive midfield to fill in before buying another forward.
Ole said if certain players leave the club will make transfers to replace them. I reckon he was eluding to Lukaku among others.

snowkarl

RW up for grabs, but between James, Lingard, Mata, Chong, and then Greenwood
(IMO will become the starter), I think we'll just ride with it. Many of them can play in other positions as well, so I just think we'll go with what we have and aim to develop them, and give more game time to the younger players as rotation options compared to if Lukaku stayed.
That is scary reading, scary, scary, scary reading.

That is legtimately worse than half the teams in the PL.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
How does this mean buying a replacement? We already have a squad on tour that plus the players that have not joined yet that is way too big for all to be registered for CL for example.
You said it wasn’t true that he said it. He said it. I gave you proof.

You choose to interpret it how you like :lol:

romufc

I think Ole is trying to put pressure on Ed to say if Lukaku goes, we need another player in? Doesn't have to be a striker cause Rashford will be first choice.

hobbers

Ben Yedder or Dybala depending on finances.

When you take their ages, marketability and resale values into account Dybala would actually be much better value for money over the long term even if he costs 3x initially.

Chong isn't getting anywhere near Prem football next season. Greenwood will get quite a lot of minutes, albeit a lot of sub appearances, and Gomes might sneak into one or two Prem games, but that's it.

Johan07

You said it wasn’t true that he said it. He said it. I gave you proof.

You choose to interpret it how you like :lol:
Its not a big thing, but you and other posters on this thread has taken that general statement (that wasnt specific to Lukaku) and turned it into that OGS has said that we would buy an replacement for Lukaku. The poster I replied to suggested that this would be Ben Yedder.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Chong isn't getting anywhere near Prem football next season..
He doesn't have to unless Martial, Lingard, James and Greenwood are all unavailable. Heck even Young can play on the wing if a senior player is indeed necessary but I think Chong will play some cup games.

NotQuiteManc

Hopefully the replacement(s) will be attacking midfielder or even a defensive one. Offensive wise, plenty of pace and trickery but lacking so much control in the middle of the park. The squad is fine when playing counter attacking tactics but lack the creativity to pass through bus parking defense, and/or maintaining possession. My guess would be someone like Fernandes.

R'hllor

If Ole has Rashford so high in his mind when it comes to pecking order then not sure we should spend money on striker and if we do spend money on one, that one has to be 100% better then Rashford, someone who wont put any doubt with Ole, otherwise it would be waste of money for someone warming a bench.

Dunno are there options, young players with potential, whole thing might be really tricky.

Smores

Rashford / Greenwood / Martial should be enough, but I wouldn’t mind someone like Ben Yedder on the cheap.
Enough for what? Not one of those has proven themselves to be a main striker of any club never mind a top club. Two of them have usually featured on the wing and the other hasn't even played a handful of senior games.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Enough for what? Not one of those has proven themselves to be a main striker of any club never mind a top club. Two of them have usually featured on the wing and the other hasn't even played a handful of senior games.
What do you suggest then?
Keeping a player who wants to leave and isn’t a part of the manager’s plans?
Sign some bang average PL “proven” forward like Wilson for 70m or something ridiculous like that?