Having Pep replace SAF
Sack Jose after his 2nd season and bringing in Nagelsmann

Sir Scott McToMinay

Signing Ribéry after the 2006 WC
Signing Tevez outright rather than buying Berbatov
Not selling Ronaldo
Having Pep replace SAF
Sack Jose after his 2nd season and bringing in Nagelsmann
No one at the club (other than them Glazers perhaps) wanted to sell Ronaldo.
We should have never sold him that cheap, that’s for sure, he was worth way more than 80m even then.

TRUERED89

In the summer of 99 after winning the treble we should have signed Edwin van der Sar and Sol Campbell. We would have retained the CL.

van der Sar
G. Neville Campbell Stam Irwin
Beckham Scholes Keane Giggs
Yorke Cole
Who is stopping that?
Neville said himself in that interview with Keane, the club became relaxed in the transfer market the next few years after winning the treble. Resting on laurels slightly!

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Have a proper succession plan for post-Fergie.

Basically we needed to make sure we got Pep signed up in 2012. SAF retiring, and then looking for his successor just 3 months before he needed to start work was never going to yield great results, was it?

Delano

I wish we signed Zlatan after he left Barca.

More controversially, I wish we signed Lewandowski instead of RVP. Yes, RVP was the main reason we won the title, but after that, he didn't ever recapture that form. Lewandowski would still be banging them in and who knows where we'd be now with him in the team for the last 7 years.

TRUERED89

Paid the money for ronaldinho ... one of the most entertaining players ever plying his trade at united
Would have been nice, but could have stopped Rooney and Ronaldo coming through! It was the summer of 03 wasn’t it, That this was mentioned ?

Dennis_Law

Supports
Aberdeen
Jose came into the job straight after Fergie and took over his absolute control at the club.

He and the fans wouldn't have become victims of Moyes and LVGs failed attempts at being Man Utd managers.
I maybe mis-remembering, but I seem to recall Sir Bobby Charlton had something to do with blocking Jose Mourinho joining the club in 2013, something to do with Jose not being quite the right fit for MUFC due to his character - the whole eye-gouging thing for example and I think SAF concurred*. I often wonder what Sir Bobby thought about the Jose appointment when it finally happened and if he felt vindicated when as expected he proved to be a miserable so and so who never really planned to be in Manchester long-term - living out of a hotel suite the whole time.

*Possibly because SAF had already let David Moyes know the position was his (one Scot to another) weeks before it was official, when he decided to take retirement. That I read on here.

Last edited:

Toblerone92

I think not bringing in Mourinho immediately after SAF (I know he wasn't available, but an interim such as Giggs could have been installed alongside supporting ex-players for a season) and backing him completely in terms of transfers and management of the club in general was a grave error. He was in my opinion the ideal man for the job, with his admiration of the club and Sir Alex being widely acknowledged.

I expect many people will disagree with me on this, and point to Mourinho's supposed declining ability, failure to adapt and toxic attitude, but what he did with the squad we had in the 16'-17' season was remarkable, and had Woodward and the Glazers had the guts and desire to back the man properly then I feel he could have been a great success with us; I still feel it is unfair to consider his time at the club a failure.

United58

Sorry, but Tevez was horrible in his last season. What did he score? 5 goals? It sucked that he went to City, but he wasn't very good...
His replacement, Berbatov, got 9 league goals that season (in all competitions, Berbatov got 14 and Tevez 15) and slowed down our fluid play a lot. Tevez was a cnut but a sensational player - he showed that at City and Juventus after winning the title and Champions League with us.

United58

Would have been nice, but could have stopped Rooney and Ronaldo coming through! It was the summer of 03 wasn’t it, That this was mentioned ?
Yeah 2003, we ultimately signed Ronaldo instead. Ronaldinho probably would have played a free role on the wing for us, wouldn't have affected Rooney (though might have stopped us signing him at all - Rooney came for marquee money at the time)

Gorse Hill Red

If you could rewrite history and sign replacements for our key players who have left or retired over the year who would you have signed?

I think we all wish Van Der Sar was signed as Schmeichel's first replacement.

Personally, I think Daniele De Rossi may have been the closest replacement for Roy Keane available.

When we sold Ronaldo to Madrid they sold Robben to Bayern for €25m the same summer. They also sold Sneijder that summer for €15m. I'd have much rather had £50m for Ronaldo plus Robben and Sneijder.
The problem was that year the Ronaldo money was used to pay the interest on the debt which coincidently was around £80mill. I know because I checked the P&L that year. If I could rewrite history I would have advised Fergie not to have anything to do with the Rock of Gibraltar.

Jericholyte2

I wish we signed Zlatan after he left Barca.

More controversially, I wish we signed Lewandowski instead of RVP. Yes, RVP was the main reason we won the title, but after that, he didn't ever recapture that form. Lewandowski would still be banging them in and who knows where we'd be now with him in the team for the last 7 years.
As well as Zlatan I would have also signed Larsson about a decade earlier from Celtic. He was so much better than that club! I went to a match with him, Ronaldo and Rooney as the front three and it was just amazing to watch!

SaintMuppet

Yeah, but being owned by the Glazers is really awesome.
The Glazers are awful, but there is awful and unacceptable. Unfortuneately the only people who can afford to buy United are exactly the people I don’t want. I think it’s inevitable one day and will be a sad one for me

TRUERED89

Yeah 2003, we ultimately signed Ronaldo instead. Ronaldinho probably would have played a free role on the wing for us, wouldn't have affected Rooney (though might have stopped us signing him at all - Rooney came for marquee money at the time)
That softens the blow of not getting Ronaldhino then, I wouldn’t swap Rooney and Ronaldo for him imo..

momo83

Massive Snowflake
1) Tim Howard doesn’t drop that free kick at the last minute
A year before Aguero moved to Athletico, I wrote a letter to United (I was a young, stupid football-scout wannabe) begging then to buy him and Berbatov. I wish SAF would have read that and acted on it :lol:
United tried signing Aguero, wages + agent fees put them off.

But look at it this way. If we did sign him he’d have ended up at Real Madrid after 3 years.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
1) Tim Howard doesn’t drop that free kick at the last minute

United tried signing Aguero, wages + agent fees put them off.

But look at it this way. If we did sign him he’d have ended up at Real Madrid after 3 years.
Ahh... So SAF did read my letter!

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
There were opportunities to play Pogba from the start but SAF chose not to, most notably against Blackburn in December when he played Rafael in CM. That should really have been his turn but SAF held him back for some reason. He only started to bring him on as a sub later in the season when we realised the one year option on his contract was unenforceable and he was looking to leave.

Also SAF didn't let him leave, he didn't have a choice. His contract ran out and he wouldn't sign another.
He did want to sign another contract but was asking for big money and SAF said no...

simplyared

SAF strengthens the squad before stepping down with a young Verratti and Thiago Silva snatching them from the claws of PSG. SAF goes hell bent to get Poch as his replacement. Poch takes over and signs Özil.

Last edited:

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Way way ahead of anything else would have been to have signed Pep Guardiola before he decided to join City.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We should of signed Raheem Sterling from Liverpool and given him the number 7. Apparently we had interest but not sure to what degree, I remember reading reports at the time that LVG didn't see much in him but again I'm not sure how factual that is. Imagine if we had also kept Wilfred Zaha and started him with Sterling in the two winger positions. We would of had two potentially elite England wingers players in our team :drool:
We could have had all that interest we wanted, there was no way in hell Liverpool would have sold him to Utd.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
I'd like to know what @Amadaeus would suggest.
Any United fan should understand by now that our problem post Ferguson stem from having selected the wrong managers. None of the managers we have selected have progressive ideas and are past their expiring date. When you look at the football we play, it obviously isn’t football. But rather anti-football. We can’t pass intricately, there is no smart movement of players or decisions making, no quick thinking or ball movements. It is slow, static zombie football. As such, the one thing that most United fan should want to see after the Sir Alex years, is that we should have appointed Pochettino by now. However, maybe it takes our failures to understand why we need Pochettino so badly. Regardless, rather than appointing Ole, we should have appointed Pochettino, especially after he took Spurs to the champions league final. Something no other managers could do with that team. It was the best time. We have so many wonderful youth talent and under Pochettino, they would have thrived. Our football will get significantly better and we will be back where we should be. At the top of Europe.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Any United fan should understand by now that our problem post Ferguson stem from having selected the wrong managers. None of the managers we have selected have progressive ideas and are past their expiring date. When you look at the football we play, it obviously isn’t football. But rather anti-football. We can’t pass intricately, there is no smart movement of players or decisions making, no quick thinking or ball movements. It is slow, static zombie football. As such, the one thing that most United fan should want to see after the Sir Alex years, is that we should have appointed Pochettino by now. However, maybe it takes our failures to understand why we need Pochettino so badly. Regardless, rather than appointing Ole, we should have appointed Pochettino, especially after he took Spurs to the champions league final. Something no other managers could do with that team. It was the best time. We have so many wonderful youth talent and under Pochettino, they would have thrived. Our football will get significantly better and we will be back where we should be. At the top of Europe.
It must be said, you never fail to deliver.

Zlatattack

Sorry, but Tevez was horrible in his last season. What did he score? 5 goals? It sucked that he went to City, but he wasn't very good...
He was played out of place quite often and I suspect he was distracted. He did great at City with Ageuro. He could have done that with Rooney.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Tevez would’ve flourished if he stayed past Ronaldo and was an official United player.
We would’ve won the 09/10 title comfortably with him as a starter with Rooney.

But, feck him.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
My man! Serious question, if it came between Klopp or Poch, would you still opt for Poch?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Jose came into the job straight after Fergie and took over his absolute control at the club.

He and the fans wouldn't have become victims of Moyes and LVGs failed attempts at being Man Utd managers.
I said this long ago... the abuse I got was quite amusing

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
can I opt for Ed Woodward being hired by the scousers...

Amadaeus

My man! Serious question, if it came between Klopp or Poch, would you still opt for Poch?
Klopp style is all about the intense pressing and high full backs. A philosophy Ole is trying and failing to implement at United. I rather have a manager that support the steady build up leading to a goal. A manager that supports players that has great technical abilities and can organize a team to pass from the back. A manager that can always motivate their players to perform and get the best out of what we have rather than just relying on spending big to win big. So, Pochettino definitely. I want to see an attacking prowess at United. When Pochettino destroyed Ten Hag total football philosophy in the champions league and how his side battered United last season only saved by De Gea brilliance, amongst others it is clear that that should be the football we should be playing at United.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Klopp style is all about the intense pressing and high full backs. A philosophy Ole is trying and failing to implement at United. I rather have a manager that support the steady build up leading to a goal. A manager that supports players that has great technical abilities and can organize a team to pass from the back. A manager that can always motivate their players to perform and get the best out of what we have rather than just relying on spending big to win big. So, Pochettino definitely. I want to see an attacking prowess at United. When Pochettino destroyed Ten Hag total football philosophy in the champions league and how his side battered United last season only saved by De Gea brilliance, amongst others it is clear that that should be the football we should be playing at United.
Which of the two has showed most tactical adaptation? Both long term due to the the players that they have and in game to adapt when things go against them? Not rhetorical, I honestly don’t know because I don’t watch enough of either team week in week out.

But that I think should be the key to judging a manager. It’s what made SAF great, and what limited Wenger. Ole lacks it, Pep doesn’t really need it because he can spend £300m on FB in 2 windows.

fps

Yes, there was a time for Jose, it was then, and would have got the club in order before finding the next long-term Man Utd manager.

Amadaeus

Which of the two has showed most tactical adaptation? Both long term due to the the players that they have and in game to adapt when things go against them? Not rhetorical, I honestly don’t know because I don’t watch enough of either team week in week out.

But that I think should be the key to judging a manager. It’s what made SAF great, and what limited Wenger. Ole lacks it, Pep doesn’t really need it because he can spend £300m on FB in 2 windows.
It will take a ridiculously long post to explain why Pochettino has showed more tactical adaptations and the in game management ability to alter the flow of the game when things are going bad. I will just refer you to this brilliant video that explained how Pochettino has transformed Spurs and why he is so superior in those regard you mentioned. For the first aspect of tactical adaptation, the 2016/2017 season is a great use case that presents poch ability. It is explained in the video how he altered his formation throughout that season to accumulate an impressive point tally and Spurs best season ever. Xg, had him level on point with the league leaders then. His in game management is one of it not the best in football today. We saw it multiple times last season in the champions league and this season already against Aston villa and Manchester City.

All of this accomplished with a spending significantly less than any of his top six rivals. Pochettino developer his players and has showed more ability to emulate Sir Alex success at United than any other managers out there. All he needs is a club that will back him with resources much greater than what he is giving at Spurs.

Last edited:

Chabon

Signing Hazard and a top CM in Summer 2012 instead of Van Persie and Kagawa. Fernandinho, perhaps.

Edit: Just remembered that Luka Modric went that summer. Hmm.

Robbie Boy

We should of also signed Douglas Costa from Santos, we were linked with him quite a bit at the time and there was genuine interest in the player. I even remember activating for us to do the deal, would of been a brilliant signing.
No thanks.