If you don’t understand why Ole is a gamble worth taking… you’re doing football support wrong

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
For some people Manchester United is like family. You don't choose your family. If you have a son that's not very bright academically or your sister is the worst player in her team, you don't relentlessly criticise them, insult them, or offer them up for adoption so you can improve the quality of your family. You just support them and try to take pride in their efforts.

If they don't succeed relative to others, fair enough, at least you did you best and there's still good feelings and memories without toxicity.

And if they do succeed, it's magic.

Life isn't always about long-term winning it's about finding happiness. That's how some United fans see the club. You can't rely on winning for years on end, you have to learn to enjoy the club for what it is and take the rough with the smooth.
I don't know about others but this year under Ole has been the most miserable for me since SAF by far.

Even worse than the Moyes year. By far. At least under Moyes, everyone could see he was out of his depth from day 1, he wasn't sugarcoated or absolved of all responsibility like Ole constantly is.

This is how it has gone since last season:

• We lose; "it's Mourinho's fault".
  • We lose again;"it takes time, he gets the club though".
  • We continue having dreadful results;"wait until after pre-season, for his coaching methods to shine".

• New season starts... We pick up where we left off, continue to have horrific results ; "It's Woodward's fault! He wasn't backed!".
  • "You cant judge him yet. Give him a few more windows, suspending all expectations in the meantime, then judge him".

And repeat.

The performances & results have been utterly horrific throughout the majority of his time here.

It's like living in a constant nightmare.

He might be a nice guy, but it is what it is.

I take no pleasure in watching us become losers, happy to just take part in competitions. That is what we are becoming before my very eyes.

Last edited:

ash_86

For some people Manchester United is like family. You don't choose your family. If you have a son that's not very bright academically or your sister is the worst player in her team, you don't relentlessly criticise them, insult them, or offer them up for adoption so you can improve the quality of your family. You just support them and try to take pride in their efforts.

If they don't succeed relative to others, fair enough, at least you did you best and there's still good feelings and memories without toxicity.

Life isn't always about long-term winning it's about finding happiness. That's how some United fans see the club. You can't rely on winning for years on end, you have to learn to enjoy the club for what it is and take the rough with the smooth.
Well said. Even for someone like me who is far away from old Trafford, I see it as a journey. I've seen this club give me so much joys with the amount of trophies we have won. I am also ready to sit patiently and bide my time when we aren't doing well. With Ole I do see a lot of principles get set and it looks like an upward trajectory in my eyes albeit being slow.

Gazza

The article is based on a false premise. It seems to be attacking the idea of 'mocking' Solskjaer, Rashford, et al. That's fair enough and I agree. Ole clearly cares about the club and wants to succeed, so to mock him on social media or whatever is clearly a cheap shot. But that's not the same as believing his management may not be the best course of action for the club to get back to being successful, which is what many (most?) people are actually saying. People insulting Ole or taking cheap digs (and there are a few on here like that, for sure!) are pathetic and probably have issues in their lives beyond 'doing football support wrong', but to have a care and concern for the way Ole is managing the team and expressing it cogently doesn't merit that same accusation.

Ekeke

Ole was a gamble worth taking, when he had us playing well and getting results in that run last season. We took the gamble and we're 9 points off the top 4 with no signs at all of recapturing that form that got him the job in the first place. Sometimes your gambles don't pay off and you end up back where you started like we are.

Amarsdd

some supporters seem to see supporting the club as an investment in a stock. They want to see profits for their investment such that the support itself seems to have become transactional.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Ole was a gamble worth taking, when he had us playing well and getting results in that run last season. We took the gamble and we're 9 points off the top 4 with no signs at all of recapturing that form that got him the job in the first place. Sometimes your gambles don't pay off and you end up back where you started like we are.
You're not the first to mention it here, but that's a good point and I agree. I was all for the gamble in the beginning but I can clearly see this is not working.

Gazza

Yeah, it's really terrible. That person should not be paid to write. Would have preferred to see a genuinely well thought out and written article in support of Ole. But even our regular caftards tend to present a stronger case than this. And sadly, they don't present a very strong one either.
Quite. If the writer had offered up a tactical insight that perhaps the rest of us had missed, a clear point about the way we are going forward as a team and as a club, that is at least something we could discuss and hold on to. Instead, the writer has shoved all the valid criticisms of Ole into a sack with all the nonsense mockery he's seen on Twitter (and there is some of that, there always will be on the internet) and dismissed it all as 'doing football support wrong'.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT

Totally agree there bro. But being happy with what you have is one thing and calling it a spade a spade is another. Big fan of Ole as a player but he isn't a title winning material. The board pulled a masterstroke when they hired a fan favorite. Look at us now, we are torn between a legend and settling for mediocrity. Its not even his fault. Its sad it had to come to this.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I initially wanted Ole sacked because what I initially saw was a manager of United tactically out of his depth & making some poor decisions.

However,

When a manager is willingly playing the next generation of United youth at a time when nothing has been going right for what is starting to feel like a decade - then I'm actually okay for us to write off a season; not for Ole, but for the players.

For me - It's good to try something like this because whilst we may not necessarily be able to improve the quality of our squad through this, it may give us a quantity and a clarity in the way we want to play with the type of players that can make the grade.

Ole does this until the end of the season & the young players get non stop chances assessing the youth players of a 3 year ratio. This drops players like young & Shaw for a player like Williams. Even if Williams isn't the main LB for the next manager he becomes a better value player than the other two due to the the things Ole is actually checking.

Let Ole finish the season here & if he fails ( he probably will) then United will be in a better state of player by things like physical and mental ability. Next manager comes and can try improve on that instead.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
This article, at least part of it sounded like it was written about Mou and his social media army.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
I'm going to be completely honest here. I think this is a load of shit.

But this part here. This is the most deluded part of it all.

Might as well be asking: What if Gary Neville didn't fail at Valencia? What if we gave Moyes more time? What if I bet my life savings on a single roulette bet?

Ole is clearly out of his depth. Shed the club legend nostalgia and look at it objectively for a change. He has been here for almost a year and has had a full summer window. We play against Sheffield United, a club who has spent roughly the last decade out of the PL, who are at best mid table quality, and set up with a back 5 starting fecking Phil Jones in a left side CB position that he's not even experienced in and trying to hit them on the counter. Let me say it again. We, Manchester fecking United, set up with a back 5 trying to play the counter against Sheffield fecking United. And then after the mere 7 minutes of us actually doing something productive, he reverts back to the back 5 (against Sheffield United) and we inevitably get scored on.

How does one observe this, think about it for a couple days, and then go, yeah Ole is the right man for the long term. This is like flat earth theory levels of dumb at this point.
Thats just one game. Yet 48% of cafs wants him to stay. I wonder how many of that percentage were opposition fans. Its really weird.

VP

Even if the author's issue was only the level of vitriol against Ole, he'd be wrong in considering it an Ole-specific issue when it's a social media one. But he arrogantly seems to be equating supporting our club with supporting a manager.

No one is bigger than the club not even a club legend. The closest to come to transcending United was Sir Alex and he made a mockery of the family values the author cherishes. If Sir Alex could let go of Beckham and Stam for the benefit of the team, why shouldn't we be half as ruthless and let go of an underperforming manager?

As a fanbase, we need to move on from the cult of the manager.

lysglimt

Scout
This is because he sold Lukaku and Smalling, both would have qualified as experienced players. He was also partly responsible for losing Herrera as well, another experienced player. Stop complaining if you consistently lose the plot.
Try not to lie to prove your point. Even Herrera himself has said that OGS had nothing to do with his decision to leave. He had already made up his mind when OGS came to the club...because he was not offered a contract earlier.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

If you're not as good as your brother you're sold. And replaced by a better kids.

Stop making stories as if we're charities. Saf is fecking ruthless when it comes to underperforming players.

Under ole they're labelled deadwoods and unceremoniously taken care off.

tenpoless

Pretty sure a big portion of this forum understand if Ole is a gamble worth taking.
Just like Van Gaal was.
Just like Jose was.
Just like any other young, talented managers in world of football right now.

Yes there are a few who talked shite about Ole. But this attitude of "If you don't support the club's legend, you're not a supporter" is baffling and is no better than calling Ole names, They're both just as ridiculous. Nostalgia and sweet memories are good and all that but it shouldn't get in a way of the club's decision. We've seen time and time again in football where decisions not based on logic were bad decisions.

You don't have to write about 99 treble, top top player, came from Molde, 20 LEGEND, hard worker, SAF's apprentice or how He lifted the spirit of our players (temporarily) after Jose's miserable days here. Why? because We know about those already, We remember those like the names of our children. Last season, people loved Ole more than their own childs.

But the fact is, right now, as it stands with Ole being the permanent manager, which I believe should be what We judge him by, He has done okay when it comes into signing players but the results and performances have not been good enough. At some point We were in a relegation form and our league position is pathetic. So because of that, don't be surprised if people started seeking available alternatives.

If you don't want the best for your club, you're doing football support wrong. There's nothing wrong with people voicing their concerns or not wanting to keep Ole for longer than He deserves. If you can't accept those, you're doing football forum wrong. Hell, you're doing the internet wrong.

Last edited:

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Even if the author's issue was only the level of vitriol against Ole, he'd be wrong in considering it an Ole-specific issue when it's a social media one. But he arrogantly seems to be equating supporting our club with supporting a manager.

No one is bigger than the club not even a club legend. The closest to come to transcending United was Sir Alex and he made a mockery of the family values the author cherishes. If Sir Alex could let go of Beckham and Stam for the benefit of the team, why shouldn't we be half as ruthless and let go of an underperforming manager?

As a fanbase, we need to move on from the cult of the manager.
This! 100%.

lysglimt

Scout
I have more or less given up defending OGS on this forum as the responses you get from some people are so toxic. But my decision to back OGS is mainly based on this:

He is thinking about the future - not himself. He is building a foundation with players who are young and talented, either from the youth-team or by signing them. And yes - the chances are it will get him fired because the results of his work will probably first become obvious in 18-24 months when Williams, Garner, Greenwood, James, McTominay, AWB, Tuanzebe etc gets that extra experience to make the right decisions - which means we win matches instead of drawing them.

And the idea of a new manager who pleases our more negative fans scares me - another Mourinho, or LvG a manager who puts himself and immediate trophies ahead of the club.

Is OGS good enough ? We don't know - the only way to know for certain is to give him 12 months - because that is when our players will start to perform to the best of their abilities. But will he be given 12 months ? Who knows.

But what the most negative people in here don't seem to (or want to ) understand is that what happened today would have happened to any manager - because the situation was so awful when OGS took over. At least he managed to prevent all our biggest talent from leaving the club - and adding to them. (Rashford, Martial and DDG).

And whoever takes over if OGS gets fired, will have a very nice squad to build from - unlike the chaos OGS himself had when he took over.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
What does football support have to do with the competence of a manager?
Its about giving your support, in the good times as well as the bad times. The Club is an entity that has zero benefits from support since it has no thoughts or feelings, where as the people that make up the club do. Everyone is entitled to their opinions about players and managers, but the amount of nasty abuse they get thrown after them is just shameful. Ole has not had the greatest of starts to the season, but i dont think anyone can doubt his commitment and love to the club and that he has the best of intentions, although the results have been poor

Saying hes out of his depth or unfit to manage a club at this level is all fair. But when you start calling a club legend cnut, clown, twat, idiot and so on because you are unhappy with the results, then you are a shite "supporter", and its abundantly clear you only like the club and the people involved in it when they are winning. In other words, a glory hunter

There is a fine line between "Wanting what is best for the club"(Read: Endless moaning over bad results) and outright toxicity. Just look at Arsenal and how ridiculously toxic their fanbase have become, spurred on by the geniuses as AFTV. Sending death threats to the pregnant wives of your own players. What the feck kind of "supporter" is that? Right now the Arsenal fans are more of a hindrance than a boon to their own club and the atmosphere in and around the Emirates have been awful for years. Luckily we are not there yet, but its not that far off either

BlackBen

That article is a load of sentimental bs and there’s nothing quality about it. No real argument as to why Ole should be in charge due to his managerial abilities. All it talks about is support support support forgetting that supporting the club is different from supporting a manager and a mediocre one too.

I love Ole as a player but as a Man United manager, he’s out of his depth and if he were at any other club he would have been sacked.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer may ultimately fail, most managers do. Every manager at United since Ferguson has. But what if… what if he didn’t? What if the unlikely boss managed to bring some of that glory at some point down the road?
So this is the writer’s argument for keeping Ole in the job, what if? Really? If so, then what if Moyes had finished his 6year contract ? Who knows we maybe three time League winners and double Champions league winners in that time. What if? Right? Such rubbish!

SteveW

Well said. Even for someone like me who is far away from old Trafford, I see it as a journey. I've seen this club give me so much joys with the amount of trophies we have won. I am also ready to sit patiently and bide my time when we aren't doing well. With Ole I do see a lot of principles get set and it looks like an upward trajectory in my eyes albeit being slow.
Same. We are improving. We just need a few more signings so that we can handle injuries.

redIndianDevil

Half the Caf went balistic when Mourinho did throw his toys out the pram the summer he didn't get what he wanted.

Half the caf slams Ole for saying positive and encouraging things about the players. Half the caf slammed Mourinho for criticising them. Somehow I have a feeling these groups are not mutually exclusive.

People have a tendency to be bitter and to constantly complain. I choose to actually support the team for a change.
Mourinho threw the toys out the pram after spending shitloads of money.

OGS didn't do anything even after not signing players in crucial positions.

SteveW

Can someone make a cogent argument for why he's out of his depth instead of just asserting it as fact. I get that we are currently mid table. Klopp and SAF were both mid table at one stage. What is it that people are seeing? Poor signings? Tactics? Motivation?

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Quality read. The last few paras with some uplifting music would probably raise your hair

Un4givableB

Stop making stories as if we're charities. Saf is fecking ruthless when it comes to underperforming players.
So true, anybody old enough to remember how Fergie treated Jim Leighton? Ruthless is an understatement.

As for SportWitness, if it was a paper l wouldn't use it to wipe my ar*e, just web clickbait, no better than Howson & the rest of those youtube chancers.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Can someone make a cogent argument for why he's out of his depth instead of just asserting it as fact. I get that we are currently mid table. Klopp and SAF were both mid table at one stage. What is it that people are seeing? Poor signings? Tactics? Motivation?
Midtable is the culmination of everything.

You cant claim he got the tactics right when we only have 1 away wins in many games. How can you say he motivates his players when we faildd to win more than we lose.

Facts is we're bad. Anything that tries to say otherwise is opinion.

You can say he has his mitigating factors, that's fair. But we're far from good. Acknowledge that much

RUCK4444

It’s too much to ask the Ole Out brigade.
But the three points you listed:
*Signings have been the best we’ve made under any post-Fergie manager
*Tactics are to at least attempt a forward press which we desperately need, playing youth to good effect
*Motivation is hard to determine however the players are still behind him and numerous players have improved under him

This threadbare squad of teenagers finishes mid table under any manager on the planet

AneRu

Whilst I agree with this but in competitive sport, let alone professional football, the ultimate aim is to win but if you fail at least be on the right direction - be seen to be doing things right and doing the right things. Fergie has phenomenal success but even he didn't win every but he always had the team primed for success and was willing to infuse new methods to stay in touch with the game's evolution. Whilst I won't it, I will never stop supporting Manchester United if they never won another PL/CL title in my lifetime just as long as they are doing the right things that give them the best chance for success - signing the right players, having the right manager,, playing football the right way, youth and always looking to improve. When you do things right (efficient), are doing the right things (effective) and you are open to new ways of thinking success will find you.

We as fans have the right to be sentimental and even optimistic that a club legend will get it right but not the club management,they shouldn't let that cloud their judgement and they should at all times do their best to get the club playing at the highest level that its resources can allow it to reach.

Micky Targaryen

Pretentious nonsense.

Always support the club and wish them well. But supporting failing plans and poor decision, is nothing to be proud of. I have no problem with somebody believing in Ole being the man for the job. I'd probably disagree with then but they'd be entitled to that view. What I do have an issue with is

1. Correlating the genuineness of one's support with the agreement with Ole's position as manager. It's a daft correlation. If somebody does not logically see this appointment as correct, for them to alter their view purely out of sentimental bullshit, would be very childish.

2. People who want Ole to be manager not because they believe in him. But becuase they want Ole to be manager. This is a football club not video game. The ones who succeed are the ones who have genuine quality and the intelligence to pull off well thought out plans, rather than sappy welled up dreams of hope. And on hope, it isn't that hope is not important. It is, but it's always borne out of something else, something that has potential. Not out of the idea of someone being successful. That's just foolish.
You hit the nail on the head. Nothing to add. Can't believe people deem this as a well written article.

Zen86

Good article, not that the spoilt, arrogant side of our supposed fanbase will pay any attention, as already demonstrated.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Midtable is the culmination of everything.

You cant claim he got the tactics right when we only have 1 away wins in many games. How can you say he motivates his players when we faildd to win more than we lose.

Facts is we're bad. Anything that tries to say otherwise is opinion.

You can say he has his mitigating factors, that's fair. But we're far from good. Acknowledge that much
Everyone can see that, the big question is why. Some put the lions share of the blame on Ole, but imo the state of the squad, especially with all the injuries plays a bigger part

Tactically i dont think 4231 is the right formation for us since none of our #10 players are any good. I dont really know, but maybe 433 with Garner would have worked better

Mentality among the players seems to be improving though. That comeback vs Sheffield was good to watch and is a big improvement over much of the abject shite we saw at the end of last season and in some other games earlier this season

bdecuc

I'm going to be completely honest here. I think this is a load of shit.

But this part here. This is the most deluded part of it all.

Might as well be asking: What if Gary Neville didn't fail at Valencia? What if we gave Moyes more time? What if I bet my life savings on a single roulette bet?

Ole is clearly out of his depth. Shed the club legend nostalgia and look at it objectively for a change. He has been here for almost a year and has had a full summer window. We play against Sheffield United, a club who has spent roughly the last decade out of the PL, who are at best mid table quality, and set up with a back 5 starting fecking Phil Jones in a left side CB position that he's not even experienced in and trying to hit them on the counter. Let me say it again. We, Manchester fecking United, set up with a back 5 trying to play the counter against Sheffield fecking United. And then after the mere 7 minutes of us actually doing something productive, he reverts back to the back 5 (against Sheffield United) and we inevitably get scored on.

How does one observe this, think about it for a couple days, and then go, yeah Ole is the right man for the long term. This is like flat earth theory levels of dumb at this point.
People see what they want to see sometimes... Tuanzebe played in midfield.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I have more or less given up defending OGS on this forum as the responses you get from some people are so toxic. But my decision to back OGS is mainly based on this:

He is thinking about the future - not himself. He is building a foundation with players who are young and talented, either from the youth-team or by signing them. And yes - the chances are it will get him fired because the results of his work will probably first become obvious in 18-24 months when Williams, Garner, Greenwood, James, McTominay, AWB, Tuanzebe etc gets that extra experience to make the right decisions - which means we win matches instead of drawing them.

And the idea of a new manager who pleases our more negative fans scares me - another Mourinho, or LvG a manager who puts himself and immediate trophies ahead of the club.

Is OGS good enough ? We don't know - the only way to know for certain is to give him 12 months - because that is when our players will start to perform to the best of their abilities. But will he be given 12 months ? Who knows.

But what the most negative people in here don't seem to (or want to ) understand is that what happened today would have happened to any manager - because the situation was so awful when OGS took over. At least he managed to prevent all our biggest talent from leaving the club - and adding to them. (Rashford, Martial and DDG).

And whoever takes over if OGS gets fired, will have a very nice squad to build from - unlike the chaos OGS himself had when he took over.
This

Its about giving your support, in the good times as well as the bad times. The Club is an entity that has zero benefits from support since it has no thoughts or feelings, where as the people that make up the club do. Everyone is entitled to their opinions about players and managers, but the amount of nasty abuse they get thrown after them is just shameful. Ole has not had the greatest of starts to the season, but i dont think anyone can doubt his commitment and love to the club and that he has the best of intentions, although the results have been poor

Saying hes out of his depth or unfit to manage a club at this level is all fair. But when you start calling a club legend cnut, clown, twat, idiot and so on because you are unhappy with the results, then you are a shite "supporter", and its abundantly clear you only like the club and the people involved in it when they are winning. In other words, a glory hunter

There is a fine line between "Wanting what is best for the club"(Read: Endless moaning over bad results) and outright toxicity. Just look at Arsenal and how ridiculously toxic their fanbase have become, spurred on by the geniuses as AFTV. Sending death threats to the pregnant wives of your own players. What the feck kind of "supporter" is that? Right now the Arsenal fans are more of a hindrance than a boon to their own club and the atmosphere in and around the Emirates have been awful for years. Luckily we are not there yet, but its not that far off either
.... and That

el3mel

Lots of Top red stuff here. This thread will look funny 2 years form now when we have Poch as a new manager.

Kopral Jono

Very good analogy and explains many people's attitudes on their relationship with the club. On Twitter yesterday I was just arguing with an Ole fanatic who maintains that we shouldn't be too hard on the players, having previously said the players are rubbish and the blame should be laid on them instead of Ole.

At the end of the day supporting a football club is a very private thing, but a mindset where logic doesn't prevail is detrimental for the club.

manichester

I think keeping Ole is the best thing, fans are more likely to turn on Woodward and the Glazers than Ole. If Ole is sacked Woodward carries the blame and the circus begins again, what will happen when the new man loses a series of games.

welshwingwizard

The problem is the equating of support for United with support for Ole. The two are not one and the same.

Ole helps bring success to the team. A better analogy is Ole being a teacher to your not so academic child.

If that teacher is poor and isn't getting the best out of them (not expecations of A* but at least passing exams and learning) then it would be your reaponsibility as a supporter and advocate for your child to try to get a better teacher. All the time you support them.

It seems at the moment that our team isn't great but the manager isn't getting them to perform as a unit that is greater than the sum of its parts. Wanting a better manager is really supporting the team.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Thats just one game. Yet 48% of cafs wants him to stay. I wonder how many of that percentage were opposition fans. Its really weird.
I had a look and the resident Liverpool fans have voted unanimously in favour of him staying, which isn't really a surprise.