If you don’t understand why Ole is a gamble worth taking… you’re doing football support wrong

I'm losing patience with Ole for a few reasons:

- Poch has always been a better option on paper and is now seemingly available
- There are games where we have looked lost tactically (vs Sheffield United in particular when it was blatant that our setup wasn't working and yet we did absolutely nothing for 45 minutes).
- We're not a title challenging side, but that doesn't mean there aren't plenty of games where we should clearly be the better side, yet unless we're given huge amounts of space in which to counter we look piss poor at putting any sort of decent attacking football together.
- Our football looks way closer to that we played under 'Sulky Mourinho' than we did under 'Interim Ole'

That said, to suggest he has a guaranteed top 4 squad at his disposal is ridiculous. Some of the players in that side are beyond hope. He's also been unfortunate with injuries and with poor finishing/defensive lapses from players in key moments in games. If only our lot were as clinical as the feckers we seem to be playing week in week out!

Foxbatt

You simply can't play with a two man midfield these days. You simply get crowded out. Even with Carrick playing in midfield we were losing the battle. We won because we had an outstanding strike force

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I agree with you. The results are shit. That said, I would like to see him turn things around. It’s not only bad from my perspective. We have a young exciting team, but we need new players. Ole need to do better with what he got, no doubt about that either.

It might end bad for Ole, but I want to see if we are close to something. The toxic environment is gone. He can play exciting, but it’s inconsistent as feck.

If the board really trust him, they need to go hard in the transfer window. I would take Smalling back as well.
No PL manager has ever turned it around from a position like this yet somehow you think a manager who has never shown any semblance of being able to cut it at PL level, let alone one of the world's biggest clubs, will finally be the one who breaks the trend and does that?

Seriously can I have what you're smoking?

Sterling Archer

No player is bigger than the club. Formers included. Get Ole out. That's how you think like a proper supporter and not a whimsical fanboy.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Spurs and City is a free-hit for Ole, no one expects us to get anything out of it. So even a draw will be proclaimed by Ole fans as a great result and why he should be kept in a job while completely ignoring the shitshow which has preceded that.

4 wins in 14 is atrocious, especially in light of how many shit/crap teams we've already played in Villa, Sheffield, Bournemouth, Newcastle, Palace, West Ham, Southampton etc. Expect us to be in bottom half by New Years' if he stays (which looks like he will)

Acquire Me

No PL manager has ever turned it around from a position like this yet somehow you think a manager who has never shown any semblance of being able to cut it at PL level, let alone one of the world's biggest clubs, will finally be the one who breaks the trend and does that?

I don’t smoke I am afraid :)

I personally have had success when given people time. That goes with other thing as well. Business, or good business, takes time. Quick fix solutions is only a thing on tv.

I might be wrong, but my gut feeling says we are on the right way in the long run.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Go on then girls and boys, enlighten me, maybe i've got a dodgy Urban Dictionary.
Well for starters ‘Dead Man Walking’ predates Urban Dictionary.

It’s just a phrase. Really common and your application to it as being ‘Urban’ is weird.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Well for starters ‘Dead Man Walking’ predates Urban Dictionary.

It’s just a phrase. Really common and your application to it as being ‘Urban’ is weird.
I know it's a phrase, and I know what it refers to, as in this guy is on death-row be careful around him as he has nothing to lose.

Suggesting Ole is a Dead Man Walking is weirder by quite some distance to my use/misuse of Urban.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I know it's a phrase, and I know what it refers to, as in this guy is on death-row be careful around him as he has nothing to lose.

Suggesting Ole is a Dead Man Walking is weirder by quite some distance to my use/misuse of Urban.
Its far older (hundreds of years) than any use in Prisons.

I never suggested Ole was a dead man walking. My analogy of choice would be to say that Ole is a boxer that’s hit the canvas in the second round and not managed to find his feet yet. He’s surviving every round, but barely.

I quarreled the use of Urban as it seemed really out of place.

All good though.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Actually the expression is extremely apt when you believe that the decision to sack him has already been taken. The expression dead man walking designates someone that has literally been sentenced to death. I'm not sure about the interpretation that you shared maybe it exists somewhere but it's not the original meaning, also the euphemism that stemmed from that expression simply means that the outcome is unavoidable.

Fosu-Mens

Does Liverpool or City win the league with Ole as manager?
It is dependent on the organizational knowledge in the squad. If OGS came in and said; do the things as you did under PEP or Klopp, they might have a chance.
If it was just to coach these squads into winning the title with no prior organizational knowledge in the squads, no chance.

Class of 63

Sourness
So the option is play players we know cannot play that position? Perreira, Lingard, Fred have played CM / DM in the last 2 games. So lets not throw in CM because they are 18/19 and the team is low in confidence?

Why is Greenwood playing as RW at 18? when we have young, mata, lingard who can play that role?

Why is Williams starting at LB when we have Rojo, Young who can play there?

The theory of not throwing them because the team is low in confidence is a myth because if we were flying and high in confidence they wouldn't get a look in the team anyway. Look at Phil Foden.
There's a whole-world of difference between throwing a rookie into a midfield dog-fight than at fullback/winger/striker.

Class of 63

Sourness
Its far older (hundreds of years) than any use in Prisons.

I never suggested Ole was a dead man walking. My analogy of choice would be to say that Ole is a boxer that’s hit the canvas in the second round and not managed to find his feet yet. He’s surviving every round, but barely.

I quarreled the use of Urban as it seemed really out of place.

All good though.
Throw the towel in, put him out of his misery :lol:

Not denying the misuse of Urban, but in my defence I was pissed on an empty brain.

All good.

Class of 63

Sourness
Spurs and City is a free-hit for Ole, no one expects us to get anything out of it. So even a draw will be proclaimed by Ole fans as a great result and why he should be kept in a job while completely ignoring the shitshow which has preceded that.

4 wins in 14 is atrocious, especially in light of how many shit/crap teams we've already played in Villa, Sheffield, Bournemouth, Newcastle, Palace, West Ham, Southampton etc. Expect us to be in bottom half by New Years' if he stays (which looks like he will)
Rubbish, I expect at least 4 points, though I won't be calling for the Manager's head if we do't get them.

Class of 63

Sourness
Actually the expression is extremely apt when you believe that the decision to sack him has already been taken. The expression dead man walking designates someone that has literally been sentenced to death. I'm not sure about the interpretation that you shared maybe it exists somewhere but it's not the original meaning, also the euphemism that stemmed from that expression simply means that the outcome is unavoidable.
Would you have said Sir Alex was a Dead Man Walking before Mark Robins saved his bacon at Forest in 1990?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Ole out and Poch in won't improve our fortunes enough to satisfy the fans. We would improve a bit I'm sure but we aren't winning the title again under the Glazers / Woodward era. That's the goal for us surely.

We need the club to be sold first. Changing managers and keeping Woodward isn't working. Let's change the whole fecking lot of them and start again. Bring in the Saudis.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Would you have said Sir Alex was a Dead Man Walking before Mark Robins saved his bacon at Forest in 1990?
I have no idea but it's beside the point because the expression is based on believing/knowing that a decision has already been taken.

AFC NimbleThumb

Herein lies my issue with OgS apologists.

We all see different things in football so I’m always open to different views but as one of them for a tangible thing OgS has done during his spell & it usually ignores the product on the pitch to praise him for ‘getting rid of the deadwood’; you then ask if he’s responsible for the outgoings what was he doing with the incomings & they blame Woodward.

If he were a Everton legend with a few titles in Norwegian football would they be so steadfast in their defence of him? I highly doubt it.

His reputation as a player has brought out the most contrarianism I have seen on this board [I lurked for a long time before signing up]; in his year in charge he has shown nothing to suggest he can improve players or style of play but there is some weird sense of masochism amongst a number of supporters that seem to want to be bad so they can wear it as some badge about how they support the club through thick & thin.

Wanting a better manager is in no way anti-United or plastic, it’s infact fundamental to the betterment of the club currently.

Fosu-Mens

Define successful, if you mean Premier Leagues/Champions Leagues probably not, but you never know if we get some momentum.
Let's say safe top 4 and quarterfinals in the ECL capable. And what signs/indications in OGS style of football, signings in and out etc makes you think he and his team of coaches are capable of achieving this.

AFC NimbleThumb

Define successful, if you mean Premier Leagues/Champions Leagues probably not, but you never know if we get some momentum.
Momentum from where? It doesn’t just suddenly combust!

You’re asking him to produce momentum that hasn’t been seen since game 15 of his reign.

Backrow Singer

The question you’ve got to ask yourself is will Ole eventually turn this team into a league title winning team? That is the only question that matters. Has he shown enough quality as a manager in the last year to suggest that if he does sign players, is he a good enough manager to eventually manage a premiership winning side? Have we seen enough progress in the last year to suggest that is the case? Have we seen improvement? Can see evidence on the pitch that we are we going in the right direction? If the answer to that is no, he needs to go ASAP without doubt.

MrBest

“If you can’t present a logical argument, you’re doing article writing wrong “

Biggest pile of crap I’ve read. Not an article, just emotional bs, gives no logical reason why Ole is a gamble worth taking. Makes assumptions about anyone who wants Ole out and then says “if you don’t understand why Ole is a gamble worth taking you’re doing football support wrong”

I’ll reply with “if you can’t see that Ole is doing a terrible job and will never improve, then you don’t know football”
Really nothing else to say, right on with this.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
SAF had a European pedigree and track record of being a winner before coming here. We havent won the league in decades before that. The expectation was different. Having said that giving Ole time, do you really think he is SAF material? What a weird comparison.
Also, its no longer 1990s. The stakes are different, the media, the money involved when you miss out certain competitions are impactful for our finances and the fanbase expectation was different. We weren't going into matches looking under coached and clueless then.
Please stop this type of comparisons.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Truth is, if not for that magical goal 20 years ago, Ole would be gone long time. I understand the sentimentality but its the adamant justifications that i can't take. If he is a goner, no point giving him january budget, without january signings we are in real danger of missing out of Uefa. Ergo, he must go. Probably by January.

Jaap

Two defeats v Spurs as well as City & Ole is a goner, surely. Give the next man -hopefully Pochettino- a week before we face Everton. I know he won’t miraculously turn things around at the club (as we all know the problems lie much deeper), but he‘ll get us playing a lot better than Ole.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I'm losing patience with Ole for a few reasons:

- Poch has always been a better option on paper and is now seemingly available
- There are games where we have looked lost tactically (vs Sheffield United in particular when it was blatant that our setup wasn't working and yet we did absolutely nothing for 45 minutes).
- We're not a title challenging side, but that doesn't mean there aren't plenty of games where we should clearly be the better side, yet unless we're given huge amounts of space in which to counter we look piss poor at putting any sort of decent attacking football together.
- Our football looks way closer to that we played under 'Sulky Mourinho' than we did under 'Interim Ole'

That said, to suggest he has a guaranteed top 4 squad at his disposal is ridiculous. Some of the players in that side are beyond hope. He's also been unfortunate with injuries and with poor finishing/defensive lapses from players in key moments in games. If only our lot were as clinical as the feckers we seem to be playing week in week out!
Poch is better than ole only on paper?

I swear nobody's good enough for the caf

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
it’s like saying we should buy winger only from Sporting, and striker only from PSV. Regardless if those players are shites.

Why?? Just because decade(s) ago, we bought players from those clubs and both became all time greats.

Maybe we should sign whoever managing Aberdeen now, and let him managing us for 20+ years. We did it decades ago, and brought us all those success.

Last edited:

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Some people don't get football. It's obvious from reading this forum. What could possibly be controversial about that?
Are you talking about yourself? You've got one of the worst opinions on football on the whole forum. I find mildly it amusing that you find the audacity to say that some people don't get football.

Last edited:

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I agree with you. The results are shit. That said, I would like to see him turn things around. It’s not only bad from my perspective. We have a young exciting team, but we need new players. Ole need to do better with what he got, no doubt about that either.

It might end bad for Ole, but I want to see if we are close to something. The toxic environment is gone. He can play exciting, but it’s inconsistent as feck.

If the board really trust him, they need to go hard in the transfer window. I would take Smalling back as well.
I'm sorry, but wishing something to happen whilst having irrefutable evidence that it won't; - is just silly, and its going to have severe consequences if we don't act.