IFAB announces change to handball law

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Ah, there's your problem Fulham. You were 24 hours early!

RedDevil@84

Wow. I thought that the defensive handball rule would get changed because of decision against poor Liverpool.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Glad that they're not doing it immediately.
It was farce earlier in the season when one min every single ball to hand was a pen, and then suddenly wasn't. Without another change in the same season.

Now it comes down to judgement about whether it was accidental, rather than a cold hard factual thing.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Though the law was strict, one thing I liked about it was that it left no room for interpretation, if it touches your hand when you're on offense then it's a foul, no questions asked.

Now we'll see a lot of debate and ref's going over to the monitor to decide whether the handball was accidental or not.

Godfather

This will make things even worse. Is there going to be a trial for intent after every handball?

Oranges038

So wait.

Handball has to be intentional now for it to be an offence..

Wasn't that always the case until they started messing about with the rules?

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Though the law was strict, one thing I liked about it was that it left no room for interpretation, if it touches your hand when you're on offense then it's a foul, no questions asked.

Now we'll see a lot of debate and ref's going over to the monitor to decide whether the handball was accidental or not.
Yeah, this is probably going to be what happens, unless the hand is glued to the body like yesterday.

rron10

Supports
Sir Alex

I agree.
Nothing good will come with this change.

Woodzy

I’ve never understood the term ‘accidental’ when it comes to a handball.

Surely 99% of handballs are accidental and only lunatics like Suarez do it intentionally.

I’m not sure what this rule will change, or in fact be any different to how we have debated whether something is handball or not over the course of my lifetime.

At the end of the day you are still ultimately relying on the opinion of the referee, which a lot of the time people will think is a load of bollocks whatever he decides.

RedDevil@84

I’ve never understood the term ‘accidental’ when it comes to a handball.

Surely 99% of handballs are accidental and only lunatics like Suarez do it intentionally.

I’m not sure what this rule will change, or in fact be any different to how we have debated whether something is handball or not over the course of my lifetime.

At the end of the day you are still ultimately relying on the opinion of the referee, which a lot of the time people will think is a load of bollocks whatever he decides.
Henry got France into WC with a deliberate handball. There was nothing accidental about it.

Also, if you are standing in the box with outstretched arms, you can't claim it was accidental.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
So wait.

Handball has to be intentional now for it to be an offence..

Wasn't that always the case until they started messing about with the rules?
Yes, genius isn't it.

All this BS just to stop defenders making themselves bigger deliberately and the ball hitting them on the arm. Should never have been messed with and down to the referee.

TrustInOle

This season has been shambolic. How many rule changes is that now that would have affected games this season?

Withnail

Glad that they're not doing it immediately.
It was farce earlier in the season when one min every single ball to hand was a pen, and then suddenly wasn't. Without another change in the same season.

Now it comes down to judgement about whether it was accidental, rather than a cold hard factual thing.
They are never going to be able to get that right.

What the hell are they playing at, introducing more subjectivity into the mix?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Worth noting that accidental handballs by the goalscorer still aren't allowed. If you handle the ball and then score, the goal won't stand.

Any player with brains should now know that if the ball accidentally hits their hand then they need to get it to a teammate rather than score themselves.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Once again, the easiest way to fix the accidental handball rule would be to tie it to advantage gained

But what do i know...

The one thing i agree with and should not be changed is not allowing handball goals

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
This season has been shambolic. How many rule changes is that now that would have affected games this season?
That is the unintended consequence of VAR. It is exposing vagaries in the rules. All the rules evolved based upon the human eye. But VAR gives additional information which is resulting in record numbers of goals disallowed. How far do we go. Decisions the outcome of which are decided by individual pixels....
Offside with no one being level because an individual pixel shows a hair on the head being offside. Totally rediculous.

Longshanks

Surely the handball law should actually quite simple, its handball if it's either deliberate, avoidable or the hand/arm is in a unnatural position away from the players body.

All the add ons and different clauses etc make it so complicated that I dont think anyone actually knows what is handball and what isnt.

mu4c_20le

Dumb change. Ball hits hand = handball. Let the players be cautious to keep their hands and arms away.

The Firestarter

Until someone handles the ball at the world cup final. Somehow the habdball rules were fine for 20 years and then they needed to change every two years, and the "interpretations" some times twice per year.

RedCurry

So they are changing the only rule about handball that was remotely consistent.

acnumber9

Once again, the easiest way to fix the accidental handball rule would be to tie it to advantage gained
That’s exactly what I think it should. If your hand is outstretched and you benefit from handling it, it’s a foul. Ones like that Fulham one where it would’ve hit his body anyway should just be play on.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Yep. A bit too much subjectivity will be injected into every decision starting next year.

evil_geko

This is terrible, every handball should be sanctioned, now it will be up to the ref to freely decide if it was on purpose or not, it will be a mess.