Gaming IGN best Video Game of all time

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I didn't realise it was divisive - what do people have against it? I LOVED it and it'd be right up there for me. Personal taste, I guess...
Terrible, clunky gameplay for me. And their missions are frustrating. Kind of outdated and for a huge open world game, don't allow you to experiment at all really.

Obviously it has some great things about it. The world that they created is very impressive.

Zen86

The best video games of all time is always a tough one, there's a lot of bias one way or the other. There's recency bias for the newer thing with the best graphics and the most detail, the thing that dwarfs what preceded it in terms of scale. At the other end there's the older stuff which is often clouded in nostalgia.

Personally I like to see these things judged on their lasting influence on the industry, basically the games that brought new innovations or created/redefined entire genres.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
This "contest" can be somehow flawed, simply because the more recent the game is the more vote it will get. Games nowadays reach a much more broader audience.

Not saying the old games are better (even though a good lot of them still hold up today), but a game should be reviewd with some context and mashing up several console generations is not really a fair way to do it.

Moby

Dick
I can understand keeping patience past the first 5 hours. But 15 hours is 5 x 3hr-long gaming sessions. if by the end of that you're not hooked, perhaps it's not the game for you (me, in this case).

Games like Skyrim, Last of Us, Arkham Knight, God of War... they had me so hooked 5 hours in that I was thinking about when I'd play them next. I didn't get that feel with RDR2 at all, despite trying it again and again.
Yeah I get it. Games like GoW right at the start tell you what your goal is, which hooks you in because you know what you are going to work for. Same in Skyrim, or Arkham Knight - you know the main baddie. But some games don't do that and in RDR2 in fact till pretty much the last chapter you don't really know what the end goal even is - you just have to carry on focusing on one mission at a time and you without a final destination that can be challenging. Sucks because quite a few great games get abandoned by users because they don't get told by the game what they are playing for. Bloodborne is another example, I heard in a video almost 50% players abandon before beating the first main game boss, because you don't get a clue from the game what is going on, but pretty much everyone who continues in that and same in RDR2 gets an experience of a lifetime.

padr81

Supports
Man City
A knockout idea is probably not the best for these kind of things, I always find it weird, for a Caf one I think something like people name their 10 fave games (which has probably already been done) and then its added up at the end, you could have points per positions something like...
Post-Pts-Game

1st - 30 - FF6
2nd - 20 - FF9
3rd - 15 - FF14
4th - 10 - FF7
5th - 7 - FF5
6th - 5 - FF4
7th - 4 - FF10
8th - 3 - FF12
9th - 2 - FF15
10th - 1 - FF13-3

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Not a whole lot of love for gta5 here but most of it (all?) seems to be based on the story mode and if you want to compare it to previous gta’s then that’s fine, but it overlooks the online mode which is a huge part of the game. I’d wager the online mode is the main reason it did so well in that poll.

DavelinaJolie

It's a stupid list, a stupid list the public contributed to ordering. Of course it's shit.

As for my favourite games:
Quake 3
CoD 4: Modern Warfare
A Link to the Past
Daggerfall
The Witness
Forza Horizon 4
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario World
Colonization

Lyricist

I‘m a huge fan of all things that kinda feel like Sergio Leone could’ve created them. I love Western films, and love the film music of the genre. That said RDR2 still somehow didn’t feel that fun to me. (Yeah, it’s not a Spaghetti Western with Ennio Morricone music)
I think as awesome and impressive as the open world is, I just couldn’t stomach the streamlined Rockstar approach within it, that doesn’t leave you much freedom to make your own decisions. That’s how rockstar games are, I know. Arthur indeed was voiced wonderfully and his customization was pretty cool also. But the fact that I wanted to make other decisions than Arthur in all the crucial moments related to trust and the rest of the gang made me kind of mad. Felt like the gamer in RDR2 had a case of Cassandra’s curse, knowing what would happen but being unable to influence the outcome. I love the fact one is able to create Arthur in one’s own way. But no matter what, he’ll always have to be a gullible idiot in a way. In that sense I found myself hating the decisions I was forced to take quite a bit.

In comparison I find the main character of The Witcher 3, Geralt, to be much more fun to roam around the open world with. Much more freedom in terms of choices all throughout the story, and generally I think The Witcher 3 is just a much more fun to play open world game compared to the also visually stunning RDR2. The Witcher 3 also has an incredible and unpredictable fantasy story line within an epic open world and with a lot of lore and background info available all over the map. The fact you can find books or texts pretty much everywhere in the open world that tell you more about its history or things that are currently going on also makes it very immersive.

My top 3 probably includes The Witcher 3, Age of Empires 2 (Definitive Edition), Rollercoaster Tycoon 2.

Last edited: