Sleeps in Firmino's jersey
- Mar 29, 2011
- GOAT calibre defense with all of Moore, Facchetti and Vogts being right up there in their positions, which will provide a massive shield against the opposition attack.
- The team is well set up to provide Garrincha the platform to shine, allowing him to dominate the attacking side, create in-roads and chances for his teammates.
- Unbelievable pace up front. In Gento and Henry, we have two of the fastest attackers in the draft. The Spaniard set 100m records in his time and Titi's pace is well known to all. That sheer pace and penetration will punish any gaps behind the defense.
- The midfield is well balanced, immersed with workrate and three top notch passers. In De Bruyne we have someone who can cut apart any defense with his final balls and whipped crosses. Netto's two way game and industry along with Danny Blanchflower as the holding midfielder using his elite long range passing would set up insane counter attacks, especially with that pace up front. Not to mention Moore at the back who can pass the ball well himself.
- Germano was the leader of the Benfica defense that won 2 European Cups dethroning the dominant Madrid team and being a powerhouse in Europe for all of the 60s. He will be complementing Moore with his physicality, hard tackling and rugged defense.
ON THE BALL:
The gameplan revolves around getting Best, Puskas, Gullit and Riva onto the ball in dangerous positions in behind Moby's midfield. The combination of Mackay and Tigana form a robust and energetic partnership to gain control of the middle of the park. While Moby is strong at full-back, the core of central defence and midfield is less physically imposing and could be bullied by the raw power of Gullit and Riva - both can work across the front line - with Puskas thundering home any scraps. On the flanks the trickery of Best is as good as it gets and he is complemented in style by the athleticism and directness of Gullit, who, like Riva and Puskas, will relish attacking Best's deliveries.
OFF THE BALL:
Defensively I expect solid work rate from the front through Riva, Gullit and Best with Mackay and Tigana squeezing space to limit the service to Moby's front three.
Passarella leads the defence to capitalise on his uncompromising leadership. At left-back two Brazilian GOATs go head-to-head as Nilton Santos faces Garrincha. On the right Turbo Reuter with his dogged defensive instincts and searing pace was recruited for this exact scenario where we have been drawn against another speed merchant of Gento's ability. We are well matched stylistically as the old saying goes. In the middle Wright's 2nd place in the Ballon D'Or has only been matched by the class of Beckenbauer, Baresi, Facchetti, Sammer and Cannavaro. Together with Passarella the pair possess plenty of spring, dynamism, general class and reading of the game.
- With the all-round game of Tigana - the best central midfielder on the park - and Mackay we could well gain an edge in midfield which will blunt Moby's attack and provide a better platform for our own to do their thing.
- Puskas looks well placed as a potential match winner. Dropping off into the hole behind Blanchflower, Netto and De Bruyne, he only needs a half-yard to unleash that left peg.