Il Fenomeno Draft - R1 - Moby vs Gio

With players at their career peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!

vs

Team Moby

Key Points:

• GOAT calibre defense with all of Moore, Facchetti and Vogts being right up there in their positions, which will provide a massive shield against the opposition attack.
  • The team is well set up to provide Garrincha the platform to shine, allowing him to dominate the attacking side, create in-roads and chances for his teammates.
  • Unbelievable pace up front. In Gento and Henry, we have two of the fastest attackers in the draft. The Spaniard set 100m records in his time and Titi's pace is well known to all. That sheer pace and penetration will punish any gaps behind the defense.
  • The midfield is well balanced, immersed with workrate and three top notch passers. In De Bruyne we have someone who can cut apart any defense with his final balls and whipped crosses. Netto's two way game and industry along with Danny Blanchflower as the holding midfielder using his elite long range passing would set up insane counter attacks, especially with that pace up front. Not to mention Moore at the back who can pass the ball well himself.
  • Germano was the leader of the Benfica defense that won 2 European Cups dethroning the dominant Madrid team and being a powerhouse in Europe for all of the 60s. He will be complementing Moore with his physicality, hard tackling and rugged defense.

Team Gio

ON THE BALL:

The gameplan revolves around getting Best, Puskas, Gullit and Riva onto the ball in dangerous positions in behind Moby's midfield. The combination of Mackay and Tigana form a robust and energetic partnership to gain control of the middle of the park. While Moby is strong at full-back, the core of central defence and midfield is less physically imposing and could be bullied by the raw power of Gullit and Riva - both can work across the front line - with Puskas thundering home any scraps. On the flanks the trickery of Best is as good as it gets and he is complemented in style by the athleticism and directness of Gullit, who, like Riva and Puskas, will relish attacking Best's deliveries.

OFF THE BALL:

Defensively I expect solid work rate from the front through Riva, Gullit and Best with Mackay and Tigana squeezing space to limit the service to Moby's front three.

Passarella leads the defence to capitalise on his uncompromising leadership. At left-back two Brazilian GOATs go head-to-head as Nilton Santos faces Garrincha. On the right Turbo Reuter with his dogged defensive instincts and searing pace was recruited for this exact scenario where we have been drawn against another speed merchant of Gento's ability. We are well matched stylistically as the old saying goes. In the middle Wright's 2nd place in the Ballon D'Or has only been matched by the class of Beckenbauer, Baresi, Facchetti, Sammer and Cannavaro. Together with Passarella the pair possess plenty of spring, dynamism, general class and reading of the game.

KEY POINTS:

• With the all-round game of Tigana - the best central midfielder on the park - and Mackay we could well gain an edge in midfield which will blunt Moby's attack and provide a better platform for our own to do their thing.
  • Puskas looks well placed as a potential match winner. Dropping off into the hole behind Blanchflower, Netto and De Bruyne, he only needs a half-yard to unleash that left peg.

Šjor Bepo

9. Career peak - 3 years. Which means 3 seasons so in a formation picture you will put Gerd Muller(71-74) which means from season 71/72 until the season 73/74, summer tournaments will be accounted on either side so summer of 71 before the season and summer of 74 after the season goes into evaluation.

Good luck @Gio @Moby

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@Moby How will the Gento Facchetti flank work? It seems odd to have a rather orthodox LW with an attacking LB.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@Gio Wasn't Mackay more of an B2B than a DM? Are he and Tigana going B2B or is Mackay going more DMish?

Himannv

Honestly, I'm pretty much wrongfooted by the career peak thing. For instance, I'm trying to think what Mackay was up to between 59 to 62 and honestly I have no idea unless I read up on it myself. I don't know if I can vote properly without doing some kind of background reading on these peaks.

Šjor Bepo

Honestly, I'm pretty much wrongfooted by the career peak thing. For instance, I'm trying to think what Mackay was up to between 59 to 62 and honestly I have no idea unless I read up on it myself. I don't know if I can vote properly without doing some kind of background reading on these peaks.
yeah, its much easier when you dont have a specific period because its so much easier to follow and know about his 15 years of playing rather then 3

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
@Gio Wasn't Mackay more of an B2B than a DM? Are he and Tigana going B2B or is Mackay going more DMish?
If you look at the Mackay/Blanchflower partnership, Mackay was the defensively most responsible player while Blanchflower had more attacking freedom. He had a box-to-box game but took ownership of ensuring the midfield was locked down. I'll stick a post up on him to explain what he was all about - @Himannv

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Blanchflower feels a bit excessive here. Facchetti is a fantastic fit against an all-rounded threat of Gullit — best possible fit ever, I'd say. In fact, in a lot of those duels on both sides defenders seem to be perfectly suites stylistically to deal with their opponents (although in some cases, like Gento vs Reuter, for example, the individual class of an attacker may still prevail).

I slightly prefer Gio's personnel, but I'm still not decided on the outcome, it certainly is going to be a very close game.

@Moby How will the Gento Facchetti flank work? It seems odd to have a rather orthodox LW with an attacking LB.
Facchetti is an incredible threat in any set up and he is as comfortable centrally as he is out wide. He's probably the most versatile attacking left back of all-time if we're going to compare their respective skillsets.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
If you look at the Mackay/Blanchflower partnership, Mackay was the defensively most responsible player while Blanchflower had more attacking freedom. He had a box-to-box game but took ownership of ensuring the midfield was locked down. I'll stick a post up on him to explain what he was all about - @Himannv
Thanks. :) I remember watching one an all-touch compilation of him and he seemed all action. All this said Moby's lack of a 10 minimises the need for a dedicated DM

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Facchetti is an incredible threat in any set up and he is as comfortable centrally as he is out wide. He's probably the most versatile attacking left back of all-time if we're going to compare their respective skillsets.
I thought that might be the case, I have read about his underlaps. Has there ever been an all touch compilation of Facchetti?

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Mackay was a defensive B2B and more of a disciplined defensive minded midfielder as opposed to a B2B. Should complement Tigana pretty well here I'd say.

Fantastic defense by Moby although I'd have preferred a more stopperish defender next to Moore, esp against Riva. He was an excellent defender with good reading of the game but in many ways seems to overlap with Moore imo. The front three looks really threatening esp with the service from the tasty and creative midfield trio. Interested in hearing more about the dynamics of the Gento-Facchetti duo and the midfield trio.

Really like the dynamic of Gio's front 4 but perhaps the presence of a genuine playmaker in the engine room would have just elevated them more imo. Tigana was a really wily operator on the ball with his passing always being crisp and precise and Mackay was of the Keane mould - direct, straightforward and unassuming with his passing but highly effective and capable of finding players in between the lines efficiently. His ability on the ball is rather underrated. That being said I'd still have preferred a genuine playmaker in there.

The flanks and the wide channels seems evenly poised and somewhat of a deadlock (although Gento will get some joy against Reuter) with Facchetti-Netto-Gento vs Reuter-Tigana-Gullit & Vogts-De Bruyne-Garrincha vs N.Santos-Mackay-Best. One of Puskas-Riva or Henry-Gento could very well be the difference here.

harms

Staff
I thought that might be the case, I have read about his underlaps. Has there ever been an all touch compilation of Facchetti?
I don't think so. There's a highlights compilation from the 1970 final and from the game against Sweden in the same year, although they're not the best example of his attacking prowess.

You can see a lot of different actions by him in this compilation, although it's always best to watch full games.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Don't think Puskas will act as a number 10 as it looks on a paper, certainly not in a usual number 10 sense. So, the way I see it, it's more 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 from Gio. If that's the case it gives a bit different perspective and moby's midfield might have more time on the ball then it looks at first sight, while in the defensive phase they can force gio on the flanks. Maybe a stupid thing to say when your flanks are Gullit/Best, but it is hard to find better defenders from Vogts/Facchetti to deal with them. (Truth to be told Gullit won't also act as a classic winger)

On the other side, moby's attack is also evenly matched. Have to think a bit, but I see a bit more variety in moby's team atm.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
DAVE MACKAY - JUST HOW GOOD WAS HE?

Brian Clough said:
He was Spurs' greatest ever player.
Sir Alex Ferguson said:
When you think of Denis Law, Kenny Dalglish, Graeme Souness. You can put Dave Mackay along with them.
John Greig said:
If there was one player I would have modelled myself on it was Dave Mackay, a truly outstanding individual in an exceptional team. I loved watching Mackay and I was heartbroken when he was transferred to Spurs where he went on to become one of the legends of the game.
WAS HE JUST A HARD MAN?

John Giles said:
I have to apologise to John White, Ossie Ardiles and Luka Modric, but Dave Mackay was the best of them all. He was one of the greats and could do everything. He would be better than any of the others we're talking about.
Sir Alex Ferguson said:
We know he was the bravest man in the world, we know that. But he was also a fantastic footballer. He was skilful. There was a nice wee piece in the papers where he said he did not enjoy seeing that photograph of him with Billy Bremner. He said 'it portrays me as a bully and I don't like bullies'. He was a humble person.
John Greig said:
Mackay had the lot: he was fearless and aggressive, had two good feet and the heart of a lion. In addition to these attributes, he could pass the ball with tremendous accuracy, take long throw-ins and he tackled like a tank. It's not often that you get a player who can tackle so effectively and also pass a ball with precision.
Jimmy Greaves said:
My old Tottenham team-mate Dave Mackay was the most complete professional footballer I've ever known, on and off the pitch. He was a genuinely hard b****d and a truly gifted ball player a combination which is so rare. Dave could play in any outfield position, was a world-class midfield enforcer and sweeper and even understudied for me up front when I was suspended for a European semi-final.
Denis Law said:
Forget your Dalglish's or your Blanchflower's. Mackay was the man. He made everybody play.

In fact, his control was second to none, he was the cleanest striker of a ball at the club and he passed with the utmost precision. In training he would astonish team-mates by volleying continuously against a wall from ten or even 15 yards - anyone who doubts the difficulty of this trick should attempt it for themselves - and later, as Spurs captain, he would run on to the pitch, kick the ball high in the air, then catch it infallibly on his instep, a subtle form of intimidation that demanded of his opponents. 'Can you do that?'

WAS HE TESTED AGAINST THE BEST?

Mackay was highly respected in British football at a time when England were developing the depth of talent that would win the World Cup. In the 1960s there too was a strong Scottish generation who were a ball-hair away from ousting eventual runners-up Czechoslovakia from a spot at the 1962 World Cup, going down late in extra time of a third play-off between the sides. Despite the competition, he was widely seen as the foremost central midfielder in the game.

George Best choosing Mackay in his best ever XI played with or against said:
Now he did kick me a few times! Probably the hardest player I ever played against. When he broke his leg, he got up as if it was a slight knock. Also an extraordinarily good footballer. Covered the ground superbly and could pass as well as anybody. A key player in Spurs' great Double-winning side and also won the League with Derby some years later.
Sir Bobby Charlton on his toughest opponent said:
Dave Mackay was a tough customer, one of those who talked to you on the field. He was a bit caustic, he liked to goad you, and whisper in your ear: “Come on, let’s see you do something then...” He was such a brave and tough player, fantastic both at Spurs and Derby County.
Not bad praise coming from a man who went head-to-head against Beckenbauer, Zito, Clodoaldo, Bremner, Symaniak, Coluna et al in midfield.

EUROPEAN CUP SEMI-FINAL VERSUS BENFICA: SECOND LEG 1962

The Daily Telegraph said:
This was a memorable match, and off all the great players on the field more than any it was Mackay's match. At times it seemed he would willingly have played single-handed. No one ever possessed more energy or resilience, more power to come and come again. No one will ever forget his solo efforts in the last quarter of an hour, bringing Perreira to his knees and, with mere seconds to go, hitting the bar.
Cliff Jones former Spurs winger said:
It was the beginning of the glory, glory European nights and no team wanted to draw us, partly because of the atmosphere that our crowd would generate. We beat everyone at White Hart Lane, even Eusébio’s Benfica, although they got past us on aggregate. Eusébio didn’t get a kick in either leg but he did have Dave Mackay marking him. Mackay was quite intimidating. We’d wear all-white strips in Europe and there was just something about those evening kick-offs. The air seemed a bit fresher and it was as though you could run a bit longer and a bit faster.

You talk about Pele, George Best and the all-time greats and Eusebio’s right up there alongside them, he’s in that company. But when we met again in 2010, the one player he wanted to know all about was Dave Mackay. Eusebio told me he was the most feared player he ever came up against. I still say Dave was the most influential player I’ve ever played alongside. He could change teams, change games, he did it at Hearts and after Spurs, he went to Derby and took them to to the title. He was an absolute winner.
Eusebio said:
He was the finest wing-half I ever played against.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Wanted to say the same thing as @harms, I think Facchetti & Gento mesh well for their different movement patterns in the final third. So just two additions:

- As far as I can tell, Facchetti was quite right-footed, which I think contributes to him cutting in a lot.

- This general pattern was similar for other older attacking FBs like Breitner. And not dissimilar with Maldini & Tassotti in our recent Dead Drafters game: they usually drifted towards the half-spaces the further forward they ventured. I guess one clue is the presence or absence of wingers. My guess is that winger-like FBs really became a thing in 5-at-the-back formations, and later, when the wide players in front of them tended to cut in themselves.

Last edited:

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
(Truth to be told Gullit won't also act as a classic winger)
I have the same impression of Best at LW. I only saw one full game with him at the left, but he acted like a winger/wide forward mix there, with a slight accent on the latter. So my guess is that both of them will partly drift towards central spaces within their natural game.

That said, both will also go to the outside and put in crosses, based on what I've seen.

Moby

Dick
On the other side, moby's attack is also evenly matched.
I'm not sure if that's entirely true. Gio has a very good team and a solid defense, but there are a couple of points that need to be highlighted.

1. Gento going against Reuter is possibly the most favourable 1v1 match up in this game. Reuter was excellent as a wingback going forward, but I wouldn't necessarily think he has the defensive capacity to keep out a winger like Gento. Gento was an institution of football in himself, he has 12 league title and 6 European cup wins to his name, and was an absolute vital cog of that legendary Madrid team. Physically he was an absolute juggernaut with breathtaking pace and directness, and he will be able to punish any gaps that are left behind.

2. To add to the above point about pace and directness, in the likes of Gento and Henry there is an abundance of absolute searing pace and direct running with purpose with little faffing about. Not just with a lot of space behind the defense but even in small spaces, there will be short bursts of pace that will leave defenders for dead. I don't see the opposite defenders having similar kind of physical prowess to match that kind of deadly incoming speed by not one but two of those attackers. Heck, even Facchetti coming from behind is an absolute freight train and was able to show up near the opposition box in a flash.

With the likes of De Bruyne and Garrincha handling the playmaking, crossing and creating chances in general from the right hand side of the pitch, having such a fast paced direct attack from the left will be a huge asset in terms of playing them in behind the defense. Especially with someone like Garrincha who will attract multiple bodies and open up spaces for others.

For me overall in this game which is quite tightly and evenly matched in most areas, it would be that right side of Gio's defense that would likely be the source of us getting the result we need.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
@Moby @Gio

Can you tell me a bit about Germano & Wright - what kind of defenders they were, and how their CB partnerships with Moore & Passarella are supposed to be?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
@Moby I'm not getting a sense that your frontline will/can work with Henry as a coventional #9. He was a forward who drifted between the inside left channel and across the same running lines as Gento liked to take up - he's also not the type to be getting on the end of crosses either on the ground (Garrincha's main) or aerially, as Gento would mostly put in.

Could you explain the workings of your frontline, please, so I can get a gist of your plan?

@Gio I feel as though Vogts is about the best matchup to Best in the draft, beings as his ridiculously low centre of gravity, speed of recovery, strength, stamina, concentration and doggedness are all top percentile. Gullit vs Facchetti also being a humdinger of a matchup. To my eyes, your best bet is to go through the middle - do you have an explanation on how you could do that? Also, his wide men are renowned for stretching the field horizontally and isolating men before working space on the inside - how do you propose to stop, or at least dampen that effect?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
@Moby @Gio

Can you tell me a bit about Germano & Wright - what kind of defenders they were, and how their CB partnerships with Moore & Passarella are supposed to be?
I see Passarella and Wright a complementary partnership. Like Passarella, Wright was also a leader and captained his country for 90 games. But he had a quieter and more team-driven style, so together they should chime well as personalities. Wright had a low centre of gravity, with plenty of spring, dynamic in ball-winning on the deck. A modern-day equivalent could be Cannavaro. Both have the anticipation, organisation and ball-winning ability to play zonally together.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Talking about mis-matches the most glaring route to goal looks like Puskas in that area off Blanchflower and in front of Germano/Moore. Blanchflower lacks the defensive pedigree to shackle the great forward, while Puskas smashed in a 21-minute hat-trick against Germano in a European Cup Final no less:

Like a hot knife through butter.

DVG7

The Garrincha v nilton santos matchup would be amazing. You’d have to think if someone knew how to stop mane, it would be the guy who got to play against him in training every day for 12 years.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
As people have pointed out earlier, Blanchflower in a holding role isn't ideal. As to a more minor gripe, a traditional leading the line CF would have been better but Henry is a class player and will adapt.

Lack of a proper #10 would limit Gio's team from reaching full potential, but the trio of talented players should make up for some of it in total as a unit.

Was wondering if lining up as below would be better for him.

.............Riva..............
Puskas...Gullit...Best

Gullit would be a more suitable match up to expose the pace/movement of Blanchflower and Best vs Facchetti would also be in his favour. Gullit also would make a better #10-lite than Puskas.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Lack of a proper #10 would limit Gio's team from reaching full potential, but the trio of talented players should make up for some of it in total as a unit.

Was wondering if lining up as below would be better for him.

.............Riva..............
Puskas...Gullit...Best
Nah, I just think gio should have put straight 4-4-1-1 to make it clearer. Puskas will be fully in his element here roaming behind Riva. Hard to see him not scoring.

So, will (godshave modern rant incoming) De Bruyne playmaking for that front 3. De Bruyne maybe reached his draft peak these days, but a wonderful player really. I would vote for gio if it wasn't for Reuter and if he had a bit more playmaking in that midfield, I would vote for moby if that midfield had a different balance. I will vote for someone until the end though as I made that pledge with myself. My palpal...

Moby

Dick
Nah, I just think gio should have put straight 4-4-1-1 to make it clearer. Puskas will be fully in his element here roaming behind Riva. Hard to see him not scoring.

So, will (godshave modern rant incoming) De Bruyne playmaking for that front 3. De Bruyne maybe reached his draft peak these days, but a wonderful player really. I would vote for gio if it wasn't for Reuter and if he had a bit more playmaking in that midfield, I would vote for moby if that midfield had a different balance. I will vote for someone until the end though as I made that pledge with myself. My palpal...
Remember only one of us participated in Dick Hunger Games with you.

harms

Staff
A modern-day equivalent could be Cannavaro. Both have the anticipation, organisation and ball-winning ability to play zonally together.
Probably a good comparison. He was really a one-man wall, especially in terms of his aerial game (although, like Passarella, he was also quite short for a center back).

Moby

Dick
Probably a good comparison. He was really a one-man wall, especially in terms of his aerial game (although, like Passarella, he was also quite short for a center back).
Do you think they would be able to cope with Henry's pace, directness and goalscoring prowess with the ability to score from a plethora of positions? Especially when Wright likely would have to help out Reuter/cover for him in the scenarios when he gets beaten by Gento.

I was actually considering another #9 who was more traditional and also very good in the air when I picked Henry but after drawing Gio I felt I got lucky there, as I picked Henry primarily as the combination of him and Gento with the amount of movement, pace, dribbling and firepower would be too much to handle for any defense which isn't blessed with a lot of pace, which is the case here.

Also, KDB is a godsent for a striker like Henry. They operate on opposing sides, with KDB being dominant on the right for City, constantly playing those unstoppable low whipped/ground crosses that are super pin point and the likes of Sane/Sterling/Aguero etc make those darting runs to get on the end of them and score. It's what I expect here with him supplying that service to Gento and Henry, and especially Henry who could take one touch and hammer the ball into the net from anywhere would be absolute box office here. Think that's an awesome 1-2 punch.

Blanchflower and Netto will give Mackay and Tigana a good fight in midfield, which gives KDB further license to roam free and play those killer balls again and again. Think he's set for a man of the match performance here.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
A modern-day equivalent could be Cannavaro. Both have the anticipation, organisation and ball-winning ability to play zonally together.
I'm not sure he was as good or talented as Cannavaro, but in modern terms he'd be a stopper CB.

From what I recall:
- His on the ball ability and distribution skills were quite lacking.
- Was short but had a good jump, so we can say his ability is at par with the rest.Nothing special, nothing lacking.
- He was not comfortable out of box though defenders didn't really do much that during his era.
- Wasn't noted for being pacy.

What set him apart was his reading the game as last man in defence. Plus he was a good leader in organizing the defence and providing stability from the back.

Bottomline: He'd be a good fit in Catenaccio system, I'd say. Limited ability, but top notch in what he could do.

Come to think of it, sandwiched between two very attacking players in Passarella and Reuter may not be playing to his strengths. I'd definitely play him with a defensive fullback alongside.

harms

Staff
Do you think they would be able to cope with Henry's pace, directness and goalscoring prowess with the ability to score from a plethora of positions? Especially when Wright likely would have to help out Reuter/cover for him in the scenarios when he gets beaten by Gento.

I was actually considering another #9 who was more traditional and also very good in the air when I picked Henry but after drawing Gio I felt I got lucky there, as I picked Henry primarily as the combination of him and Gento with the amount of movement, pace, dribbling and firepower would be too much to handle for any defense which isn't blessed with a lot of pace, which is the case here.

Also, KDB is a godsent for a striker like Henry. They operate on opposing sides, with KDB being dominant on the right for City, constantly playing those unstoppable low whipped/ground crosses that are super pin point and the likes of Sane/Sterling/Aguero etc make those darting runs to get on the end of them and score. It's what I expect here with him supplying that service to Gento and Henry, and especially Henry who could take one touch and hammer the ball into the net from anywhere would be absolute box office here. Think that's an awesome 1-2 punch.

Blanchflower and Netto will give Mackay and Tigana a good fight in midfield, which gives KDB further license to roam free and play those killer balls again and again. Think he's set for a man of the match performance here.
Your left wing is certainly going to cause him some problems, I wouldn't expect Wright to sort them all out by himself, and Wright is definitely more suited for a combative target man. As for the low crosses — I always felt like Henry didn't score enough tap-ins personally, and I hold this against him. Ever so slightly — if he was scoring more tap-ins, like Agüero does, I guess he'd get that Ballon d'Or for certain (while even at this level it's possible that he deserved one).

harms

Staff
I'm not sure he was as good or talented as Cannavaro, but in modern terms he'd be a stopper CB.
Stylistically. I'd definitely put him a tier below Cannavaro at least — although it's always worth remembering that the likes of Wright, Santamaria & Jonquet played in the absolute worst era for defenders (at least in TV-era).

Moby

Dick
Your left wing is certainly going to cause him some problems, I wouldn't expect Wright to sort them all out by himself, and Wright is definitely more suited for a combative target man. As for the low crosses — I always felt like Henry didn't score enough tap-ins personally, and I hold this against him. Ever so slightly — if he was scoring more tap-ins, like Agüero does, I guess he'd get that Ballon d'Or for certain (while even at this level it's possible that he deserved one).
I was referring to those positions Sterling etc take up on the left channel and get played in by KDB where they generally have to take one shifting touch and Bam. That's absolutely Henry's bread and butter and KDB can supply service in that range to him for fun.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I was referring to those positions Sterling etc take up on the left channel and get played in by KDB where they generally have to take one shifting touch and Bam. That's absolutely Henry's bread and butter and KDB can supply service in that range to him for fun.
Except that's Gento's area. I'm not sure where he goes if Henry wants to make his signature out-to-in move on the left flank?

Worth remembering that Reuter was called Turbo for good reason, because of his seriously quick speed. Of all the 'second-tier' right-backs I'd want to face Gento, he'd be right up there given his pure pace and dogged defensive instincts.

Kicker said:
A right full back/wing back whose great asset was his stamina and his very fast acceleration, not his footballing talent. Reuter was a very dynamic player known to cover a lot of ground when raiding the right side up and down. A very motivated player, very reliable and tactically disciplined who managed an impressive career at club level and also for Germany winning five German championships additionally to the World Cup and the European Championship. As a youth Reuter was successful at track and field who relied heavily on his athletic abilities as a football professional and who was a starter in all his teams throughout his career.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Also, his wide men are renowned for stretching the field horizontally and isolating men before working space on the inside - how do you propose to stop, or at least dampen that effect?
While Puskas can stay relatively free in the hole, both wide attacking players have the energy and graft to help out. Off the ball the team can tilt on its axis to ensure we have good coverage where it's needed. I think it's worth highlighting the capacity of Tigana and Mackay to shut off passing lines and recover possession. Again that limits the service to Moby's forwards.

Moby

Dick
Except that's Gento's area. I'm not sure where he goes if Henry wants to make his signature out-to-in move on the left flank?
Henry at his peak had Pires and Ashley Cole bombarding down the left flank and it didn't prevent him from drifting into the channels and dragging defenders. There are five channels across the pitch and ample space for three attackers to function.

In a standard move you can expect Gento to occupy the outside left channel and Henry to take up the inside left channel dragging Wright and exposing him with pace and skill.

Moby

Dick
Most of the stuff has been said. Will just repeat that there is a significant gulf in the quality of defense of both teams which will make the defining difference here.

Facchetti and Nilton are both top LBs but I'd narrowly pick Facchetti there especially when it comes to defensive capabilities. Moore and Passarella again both top names but again I'd give the edge to Moore overall. Wright and Germano are both good supporting acts although Wright never led his team to back to back European Cup wins like Germano did. And finally there's Reuter and Vogts where the former gets blown out of the park. Especially when he's up against such a potent left flank.

Both teams have great attacks hence the one with the better defensive unit will end up getting the result. And there's a significant gap there especially that right side of Wright and Reuter that will end up costing them the game.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Henry at his peak had Pires and Ashley Cole bombarding down the left flank and it didn't prevent him from drifting into the channels and dragging defenders. There are five channels across the pitch and ample space for three attackers to function.

In a standard move you can expect Gento to occupy the outside left channel and Henry to take up the inside left channel dragging Wright and exposing him with pace and skill.
Big difference though in style of players. Pires relished collaborating in tight spaces, whereas Gento and Henry both want to stretch into the same area. Cole too was more about give-and-gos over 5-10 yards as opposed to ‘bombing on’.