Importance of the January 2020 Transfer Window

lysglimt

Scout
If United have learnt anything from the Sanchez fiasco its to stay away from Eriksen for a variety of reasons.
This is my concern as well….Eriksen is a quality-player, but I am not sure I think its Worth the gamble in our current position.

soapythecat

What players would you be after in that role?

I agree with all you wrote. I think what we're sorely missing more than anything is what I'll call a 'catch-and-release' type central midfielder. A player that can receive the ball from any position on the pitch and quickly play positive and accurate passes into our front-line. That's the bedrock of a cohesive team because that consistency unlocks the potential of the forwards who can now have trust that their runs won't be for nothing and if they show for the ball they'll receive something of quality that puts them on the front foot rather than risks injury because the pass invited pressure from their marker. With that kind of consistent feeding, attacking patterns are developed over time because players can reliably predict what'll happen next and plan forward. It also allows us to get the absolute most out of Pogba who is better deployed in a more liberal, advanced role.

I really do think that kind of player is what we sorely lack, we've got the talent in attack to justify scoring more goals and moving up the table and we have one of the best defensive records in the league, we just need that player who can knit things together consistently and there's no one in the squad who can or even has the potential to do that. That's why I'm opposed to the Eriksen/ Maddison possibility unless it's definite that Pogba will leave because those players flourish moreso further up the pitch but it's at the half-way line we're desperately lacking.
I don’t watch enough of other teams or foreign leagues this season to give a name.
I just watch enough United to think this is where we should improve first.
Given what we are seeing, I think Pogba should play in the #10 role with AP as his back up. Fred is looking good but he and McT need competition.
There has to be a player available that could do a job for us. I don’t buy this idea of buying Fernandes to support our attack as that would mean Pogba dropping deep and I just don’t think he’s happy nor effective enough there.

StrettyEnder07

I would very much welcome Maddison & Sancho but why not look elsewhere for a DM and striker which we still badly need in my opinion.
Yeah I agree mate, I think Ole will, think it is just a coincidence that they are all British who he has bought so far, hopefully he goes after an Allan or Partey rather than Rice but time will tell.

DanClancy

OMG, i can't believe what i'm reading.
They are two totally different players and as a n.9 Haland is definitely more suited than Martial!

McTominay is developing as a box to box midfielder but he can play also as a DM. Unless you are a Matic fan there isn't any other player in the roster who can play as DM.

I know this is a risk but he is the only realistic signing we could make right now. We weren't able to take Bruno Fernandes during the summer, and i don't think that Maddison will go anywhere in January, so the only player who can provide us quality in the midfield is Eriksen. Then if we consider that Pogba could leave during the summer i would sign Eriksen now and try to take Maddison in the summer.
This is an example of ridiculous transfer planning that has got United into the current mess. Eriksen & Maddison in the same midfield wouldn't work;

AneRu

We definitely need a midfielder and a back up versatile forward otherwise we will suffer a disastrous collapse at the end of the season due to physical burnout, the players I fear most for are McTominay and Rashford.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
We definitely need a midfielder and a back up versatile forward otherwise we will suffer a disastrous collapse at the end of the season due to physical burnout, the players I fear most for are McTominay and Rashford.
I'd add Dan James into that list of players with potential for burnout. He can't, and shouldn't be expected to keep this up for the whole season. Your'e right though, but I'd add a straight CF to that too.

AneRu

I'd add Dan James into that list of players with potential for burnout. He can't, and shouldn't be expected to keep this up for the whole season. Your'e right though, but I'd add a straight CF to that too.
At least he has been sitting out some EL matches but I hear what you are saying, we need options for the manager to confidently rest some of the overused players. However the particular preferences might differ but the fact remains that physical and mental burnout is a real risk. Lets see if Woodward and the Glazers will support Ole on this one.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
- Zlatan on loan to rise the spirits in the dressing room and reignite the bromance with Pogba
- Haaland as CF/backup. We need to sign him sooner or later
- Sander Berge. Not the best midfielder in the world, but seeing as he plays for Genk he should not be impossible to get and hes seriously big as feck (195 cm) so he could be useful instead of Fred against shithouse teams that kick us around in midfield. also, Liverpool are reportedly in for him so it would be nice to snatch one of their targets

DamoK

I think we should try and get Van De Beek! I think he has the right mix of everything and would be perfect in our midfield. He can score, create chances and looks to have that certain steel you need to have. I think he's special

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I think we should try and get Van De Beek! I think he has the right mix of everything and would be perfect in our midfield. He can score, create chances and looks to have that certain steel you need to have. I think he's special
He'd be a quality signing actually.

AltiUn

Whenever I watched Ajax play last season he always stood out to me more than anyone else. Seems to have improved again this season.
I've not caught Ajax this season but last season I thought he was really good, don't think we'd be able to convince them to sell in January though, he might be more of a summer signing. I think he'd be a good replacement for Pogba if he leaves next summer.

AkaAkuma

Any one of a ST, LW, RW and CM would be useful as we lack cover in those positions.

They aren't glamorous, but any of Morelos, McNeil, Bowen and Longstaff would be feesible.

People can raise bigger names, but for what ever reason I don't think they will be available. Even Longstaff & Morelos are a stretch.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
In right winger and dmc positions we need to buy world class playe so i would not rush into it. And look at long term so they should not be older than 24y,25y( but not young kids also). If right player is available good, if not then we should wait until summer and buy our A option.
Creative mc and backup striker is a must now even if they are older players for short term. Not too old of course but if they are 30y old and are cheap i would take him.

AkaAkuma

In right winger and dmc positions we need to buy world class playe so i would not rush into it. And look at long term so they should not be older than 24y,25y( but not young kids also). If right player is available good, if not then we should wait until summer and buy our A option.
Creative mc and backup striker is a must now even if they are older players for short term. Not too old of course but if they are 30y old and are cheap i would take him.
Name names

SoCross

An attacker - a Saha for the Rooney/Ronaldo like situation we've got going on with Rashford & Martial :drool:

Plus a creative midfielder, ideally can play as a 10 and a 8.

troylocker

Any one of a ST, LW, RW and CM would be useful as we lack cover in those positions.

They aren't glamorous, but any of Morelos, McNeil, Bowen and Longstaff would be feesible.

People can raise bigger names, but for what ever reason I don't think they will be available. Even Longstaff & Morelos are a stretch.
I agree that the positions you mention are where we need to shop first, but not for cover or back up, for improvement. As for the suggested names to go for, have you got a wish for us to become Bournemouth, Southampton, Burnley or any other mid- to low table team? Which of those players would be a starter for a team pushing for titles? None.
We need more ambition than that. The reason we are where we are isn't only because we lack squad depth, it's mostly because we lack pure quality. If we want out of mediocracy we need to get the quality first, and then add the depth (if needed).

AkaAkuma

Brozovic and Sancho as top targets. Dembele now. Mc? I don't know. Barca and Juve have couple of midfielders who are not in first plan of their managers
Brozovic has impressed me when I've seen Inters highlights this year.

Dembele I think would be our biggest transfer of the window if we could pull it off, but how much would he cost? I think it would be a difficult transfer, unless Aulas is reasonable.

Rakitic, Can, Matuidi - am I missing anybody?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Brozovic has impressed me when I've seen Inters highlights this year.

Dembele I think would be our biggest transfer of the window if we could pull it off, but how much would he cost? I think it would be a difficult transfer, unless Aulas is reasonable.

Rakitic, Can, Matuidi - am I missing anybody?
Rakitic would be my first option because he is classic creative mc but didn't want to name him with Brozovic because people will say that i am biased:D

AkaAkuma

I agree that the positions you mention are where we need to shop first, but not for cover or back up, for improvement. As for the suggested names to go for, have you got a wish for us to become Bournemouth, Southampton, Burnley or any other mid- to low table team? Which of those players would be a starter for a team pushing for titles? None.
We need more ambition than that. The reason we are where we are isn't only because we lack squad depth, it's mostly because we lack pure quality. If we want out of mediocracy we need to get the quality first, and then add the depth (if needed).
That's all well and good, but name names? Otherwise come the end of the January window we'll be left empty handed.

I think we have the quality to finish 5th and possibly win a cup - provided we have some extra depth.

Add some quality in the summer alongside those depth players and we'll challenge for the top four next season.

I totally get the ''aim higher" train of thought, but name names.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
We will probably not buy Moussa Dembele this winter because of Ole's love for Martial. If we buy a 60M+ striker this winter what do we do with Martial and Rashford who can only play left wing ?

I think it will not be wise to do so, even if I think that Dembele is a better 9 than Martial.

I would say that a midfielder is an absolute must this winter. It will be impossible to lure the likes of Sancho, Maddison or Ousmane Dembele (young attacking players), so we should absolutely reinforce this weak area.

And you all know that Ole will go for his beloved Longstaff

AkaAkuma

Rakitic would be my first option because he is classic creative mc but didn't want to name him with Brozovic because people will say that i am biased:D
Your Croatian?
'I'm not sure Rakitic would come here? Would he?

I know my list of players is underwhelming, but can anybody give me a realistic alternative?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Your Croatian?
'I'm not sure Rakitic would come here? Would he?

I know my list of players is underwhelming, but can anybody give me a realistic alternative?
Rakitic is going 100% in january( if Valverde stays). He would be smart move and he will be huge huge upgrade but only if we can get him cheap on lets say on 3 years contract. If we need to pay 40 mil fee and huge wage then no.

troylocker

If we get at least one of these we'd be on the right track: Haaland, Sancho, Havertz, Olmo, B. Fernandez or M. Dembele
These players should walk directly into the first 11 or be serious contenders for a spot from day 1. Adding competition for a spot in the first 11 and depth at the same time.
All with a price tag between 50-120M

AkaAkuma

We will probably not buy Moussa Dembele this winter because of Ole's love for Martial. If we buy a 60M+ striker this winter what do we do with Martial and Rashford who can only play left wing ?

I think it will not be wise to do so, even if I think that Dembele is a better 9 than Martial.

I would say that a midfielder is an absolute must this winter. It will be impossible to lure the likes of Sancho, Maddison or Ousmane Dembele (young attacking players), so we should absolutely reinforce this weak area.

And you all know that Ole will go for his beloved Longstaff
Name some alternatives to Longstaff

Rakitic is going 100% in january( if Valverde stays). He would be smart move and he will be huge huge upgrade but only if we can get him cheap on lets say on 3 years contract. If we need to pay 40 mil fee and huge wage then no.
I can't see it happening. He'll only come to Manchester for obscene amounts of money.

AltiUn

I wouldn't want us to go for a star RW in January, James has made that position his own, what's important right now is to allow our front 3 to build chemistry because they've shown real promise so far.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
If we don’t recruit in the January window, then we’ll be fecked by March. At the latest!

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Maybe James as long term option for no10 position? It is tricky transfer. Ole plays with no10 and James would be perfect but if Ole gets sack and next manager plays without no10 player, we have expensive player without position.

theklr

I wouldn't want us to go for a star RW in January, James has made that position his own, what's important right now is to allow our front 3 to build chemistry because they've shown real promise so far.
Sooner or later Rashford or James will be injured with all the games they have been playing. And we need someone just as good then

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
The right players won't be available in January.

We should stick with the current plan and see how it pans out.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
We need midfield reinforcements. I think that's the area needing emergency attention.

It will be hard to find the right player in January as well. I can't see any Leicester players wanting to come to us in the current situation and I doubt a lot of our other supposed targets would want to drop down to our level, i/e Sancho.

John McGinn might be a good one to go for.

DamoK

Any other names that haven't been mentioned that anyone would like ?

dev1l

Will Rakitic fit in Ole s high pressing football?
Not sure about that

Roboc7

I don’t think there is going to be anything significant happening in January. Unless club decide to panic and buy likes of Mandzukic and Rakitic it will be same story as summer window.

Once window shuts I expect we’ll be told we are waiting for right players again.

leges

This is an example of ridiculous transfer planning that has got United into the current mess. Eriksen & Maddison in the same midfield wouldn't work;
To be honest if we do as you say I don't think we will be able to buy Maddison in the summer: Leicester will go to Champions League while we won't; why should he change team? And why would Leicester let him go?
So let's be realistic and let's take Eriksen, he isn't as good as Maddison but we need to give some quality to this midfield if we want to catch the 4th place and give a sense to this season.
There is also the possibility to sign James Rodriguez on loan instead of Eriksen, but it is very unlikely to happen as i think Real Madrid wants to use him as a part of exchange for Pogba;

Last edited: