Importance of the January 2020 Transfer Window

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Feel like buying both Sancho and Haaland would be realistic in January. Should be all over it doing whatever we can. Midfield is a must, but those 2 would be as well and complete our attack while also completing our depth. Having attacking options of:

Rashford Martial Sancho
James Haaland Greenwood​

Is pretty much ideal for us. January is a get what we can time, and if those 2 are possible, those 2 have to get done.

DanClancy

Feel like buying both Sancho and Haaland would be realistic in January. Should be all over it doing whatever we can. Midfield is a must, but those 2 would be as well and complete our attack while also completing our depth. Having attacking options of:

Rashford Martial Sancho
James Haaland Greenwood​

Is pretty much ideal for us. January is a get what we can time, and if those 2 are possible, those 2 have to get done.
We've spend very little the last 2 summers and you think buying 2 players who'll likely cost the club circa £170m is realistic? There's a chance United would buy Haaland in January but there's no chance United will buy both for a variety of reasons.

bosnian_red

We've spend very little the last 2 summers and you think buying 2 players who'll likely cost the club circa £170m is realistic? There's a chance United would buy Haaland in January but there's no chance United will buy both for a variety of reasons.
I dunno. I'm of the opinion that money has been available the last few years but they just chose not to panic spend on big names just because. Almost like Woodward has been scarred by Alexis and doesn't want stuff like that happening again. Plus manager turnover, changes, etc. Sancho and Haaland have been long time targets, fit perfectly for many reasons, and could be available. All recipes to loosen the purse strings.

Zed 101

I would have said no chance of Sancho just a few weeks ago, but the situation is looking hopeful that a january transfer could be successful, and for probably less money than touted in the summer, Haaland seems a no brainer if the price is within the bounds of reasonable, we certainly need options up front.

I am however more concerned that we do not seem to be sniffing around any midfield targets, even if they are just to make up the numbers, McGinn for instance I would only invisage as a squad rotation player in the long term, but in the short term we need numbers in there who can play at the top level, we can wait until summer to go for the top, top talents.

We need to be bolstering the midfield and attack so that we can push to with the European cup, and get CL football by the back door, it would give us the best chance of attracting the players we want in the summer.

in short I reckon the january window could be the most imprtant one we have had in years, both for the club and for Ole as a manager, get it right in January and the rebuild could be forshortened from 2-3 years to 1-2, and might just save Ole's job.

crossy1686

career ending

Rashford Martial Sancho
James Haaland Greenwood​

Realistic? Two of the most important and potent players at their respective clubs and picking them up in a notoriously grim mid season market is realistic?
We’d have to spend £1b in January to land both of them.

Irwin99

I never expected a January buy but Ole's comments on Pogba 'being like a new world class signing' shows he's clearly learnt from the master :drool:

troylocker

Rashford Martial Sancho
James Haaland Greenwood​

That would have been a dream come through, but I don’t think it is very realistic. I’d love for Ed and the Glaziers to prove me wrong though...

Last edited:

dev1l

I never expected a January buy but Ole's comments on Pogba 'being like a new world class signing' shows he's clearly learnt from the master :drool:
My impression, is that United know that Pogba wants to go but they also know that neither Real nor Juventus are prepared to pay what they are asking - at least in.cash only deal.
So Ole is doing his best to keep him happy.

bosnian_red

Realistic? Two of the most important and potent players at their respective clubs and picking them up in a notoriously grim mid season market is realistic?
We’d have to spend £1b in January to land both of them.
Haaland from Red Bull Salzburg wouldn't be a crazy amount. Doesn't matter how important. It's the Austrian league.
And Sancho with all the recent news is definitely a possibility. Of course, itd be like £100-150m for Sancho and around £60m for Haaland, not cheap, but not something we can't afford.

Litch

It's important but let's be realistic, why would anyone sell their best players in Jan? Every team is playing for something and certainly do not want to strengthen us without them being in exactly the same situation in having to find a replacement. Those players named are not going to go down in value in June if they are valuable in Jan, so the teams will wait as others might start a bidding war depending on how their season has finished. There's also the Euros and we know how players values can increase with a good tournament. Also signing a player mid season, we have already seen how long it takes for players to settle in general so if we are hoping that it will turn our season around, it might be next season before you see their worth anyway.

That said, the only way I see any sale happen is as we have seen previously, some kind of trade. I must admit, I do wonder whether Pogs is getting fit to move in Jan to Real and maybe a player (s) coming the other way.......

bosnian_red

That would have been a dream come through, but I don’t think it is very realistic. I’d love for Ed and the Glaziers to prove me wrong though...
Both seem realistic in terms of being able to pry them away. Salzburg is in the Austrian league, they'll have their price but that'll be that. Shouldn't be anything complicated (~£60m). Dortmund seems far more willing to cash in on Sancho now compared to what they were in the summer, and if not now then in the summer for sure. And again, they'll have their price, likely £100m-150m (my guess is 120m). Spending £160-200m is doable for United in one window with the money we make, just it's something should only be done for the perfect players (which is what those 2 are for us IMO).
Still need a new midfield, but those 2 look available now, and they're needed anyway. At least 1, both would be ideal though.

Redcy

I see us spending nothing in January. These things about possible options, then saying we are ok, is all an indicator of management screwing with us to just come out with nothing coming in. “No value in the market”. Best we can hope is for a temp loan or short term buy

pmgeorge

For a 4-2-3-1 formation, United is missing a good AMC. Put a world class player there and first 11 is as good as any team in PL. The only available player for January it is Dani Olmo. No team in PL/Spain/Italy will sell mid season.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I'm not being negative just for the sake of it, but I honestly don't think we'll sign anyone - or anyone capable of making a difference.

And to be honest the season is a write off anyway, I'd rather we wait and get what we really want in the summer then throw money at a backup option in a month.

croadyman

I would have said no chance of Sancho just a few weeks ago, but the situation is looking hopeful that a january transfer could be successful, and for probably less money than touted in the summer, Haaland seems a no brainer if the price is within the bounds of reasonable, we certainly need options up front.

I am however more concerned that we do not seem to be sniffing around any midfield targets, even if they are just to make up the numbers, McGinn for instance I would only invisage as a squad rotation player in the long term, but in the short term we need numbers in there who can play at the top level, we can wait until summer to go for the top, top talents.

We need to be bolstering the midfield and attack so that we can push to with the European cup, and get CL football by the back door, it would give us the best chance of attracting the players we want in the summer.

in short I reckon the january window could be the most imprtant one we have had in years, both for the club and for Ole as a manager, get it right in January and the rebuild could be forshortened from 2-3 years to 1-2, and might just save Ole's job.
Yeah Ole simply has to invest in the midfield in the January window, I don't think he is the right guy for Utd long term but will help build the squad for the next manager.

jamesjimmybyrondean

For a 4-2-3-1 formation, United is missing a good AMC. Put a world class player there and first 11 is as good as any team in PL. The only available player for January it is Dani Olmo. No team in PL/Spain/Italy will sell mid season.
We have three AMs Lingard Mata and Pereira. Four if you add Gomes. I'm not telepathic but based on how he is I'm sure Ole doesn't consider AM a priority.

Asides from that I would actually prefer getting a DM in January than any other position. Getting a DM means Mcctominay can play his box to box role and Pogba can play his free role

Bestietom

I'm not sure Ole will survive to see this window, but we will have some sort of manager in place for this window. I think it's crystal clear now that apart from a few players, we're short of quality. We can't even say we have a quality first 11.

Considering our troubles at the moment, do you expect to see investment in January?

If so which positions? And possible candidates?

I personally am not sure we can recruit anyone in Jan of a decent enough quality.
Haaland and maybe a loan deal for Rakitic.

pmgeorge

We have three AMs Lingard Mata and Pereira. Four if you add Gomes. I'm not telepathic but based on how he is I'm sure Ole doesn't consider AM a priority.

Asides from that I would actually prefer getting a DM in January than any other position. Getting a DM means Mcctominay can play his box to box role and Pogba can play his free role
none is good enough, while for the other positions, first options is at least ok

blythy

Fascist Dictator
I'm not being negative just for the sake of it, but I honestly don't think we'll sign anyone - or anyone capable of making a difference.

And to be honest the season is a write off anyway, I'd rather we wait and get what we really want in the summer then throw money at a backup option in a month.
Agreed

NoPace

Imperative we get a midfielder with some quality to play with Pogba and one of Fred or McTominay and form a trio that can actually get the ball to our dangerous front 3.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
I reckon we'll sign haaland but loan him back and we'll take Bale on a loan ourselves.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Anyone seen the recent links with Paredes? Apparently we've put out a bid for him. He's a deep lying playmaker that was bought by PSG last winter transfer. Currently out of favor and hasn't really lived up to expectations there but has been playing well for Argentina. The best option I think is to get him on loan and see how he does here

laughtersassassin

I can't stress how important it is for us us to strengthen. Like no excuses. Squad is paper thin and if we don't strengthen now and in the summer no matter who the manager is we will have another crap season.

ovoxo

Definitely think we need 2 midfielders. Essentially we only have McTominay and Fred, with Garner who is in my opinion isn’t quite ready yet. Kalvin Phillips and Soumare would go a long way to helping us.

Pogba should be playing ahead of them, so I wouldn’t include him in the base of the midfield.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I can't stress how important it is for us us to strengthen. Like no excuses. Squad is paper thin and if we don't strengthen now and in the summer no matter who the manager is we will have another crap season.
Yeah, hopefully Ed puts his money where his mouth is. Haaland and a midfielder is needed. Regrading the midfielder i would like a CM who can also play as a #10

Jericholyte2

Following this last two matches January is more vital than ever. More good results across Xmas then a good window and we can look to push for top 4.

I feel we can, with some more consistency, we can overtake Chelsea.

DamoK

I really hope we don't make the same mistakes as last season, we had a chance of getting top four and we didn't strengthen in January. I've a a feeling the only thing we will do this January is sign someone like mandzukic as back up. I don't see Sancho coming here, Dortmund are still in the champions league at the moment and we won't spend over a 100m on a player in January.

Don't trust Woodward and the Glazers to strengthen they don't want to spend. Our net spend on transfers over the last few windows is abysmal. Wait for the typical lines like the right player as weren't available , we are happy with our squad, Pogba is like a new signing etc

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I don't think that this would be the case. They just spend the best part of £130m quid on 2 defenders in the summer. You just don't do that if you don't want this team to improve. If we don't sign anyone in January it will be because we couldn't get the right deal over the line.

Haaland looks certain to be moving somewhere - fingers crossed. Sancho won't be going anywhere. It makes no sense for Dortmund to sell him now unless they are writing off progress in the CL and they don't seem the type of club that will do that. Wait six more months and they get £100+ for the player no problem.

Zed 101

The importance of strengthening our squad to cover injuries to our midfield and attacking arrears seems a no brainer if we want to acheive top 6 let alone top 4 or have any ambition of backdooring the CL via the euro, even if they are not players who should eventually demand 1st eleven spots, injuries to McT and Martial (although I would like to see Martial replaced anyway) have demonstrated the devastating effect on our form and ability to maintain league position.

Just raid a midfielder or two from one of teh lesser lights for now, get Haaland if we can if not use greenwood and pick up another midfielder for the squad.

We do not necessarily need star spangled signings right now (although it would be nice) we can cope until the summer with just good squad depth players, the ilk of past workhorses like O'Shea, happy to do a job for the team in a few positions and warm the bench when not needed.

I reckon this January window could in retrospect be viewed down teh years as where OGS utd managerial career was made or lost

jamesjimmybyrondean

Haaland and a DM for me and we're good. I'd also go with the false 9 formation

------------------------------DDG----------------------------

AWB-------Lindelof-----------Maguire-----Shaw

----------------------Kalvin Phillips---------------------

-----Mctominay------------------Pogba---------

--------------------------Martial--------------------------

---------Rashford------------------Haaland-----------

Bench: Romero, Williams, Tuanzebe, Fred, James, Lingard, Greenwood.

I think this is our best formation with these players. We've played this formation last season and it worked. Martial has shown that he likes to drop deep and link up play so I think we should try him out as a a false 9.

Pogba was moving forward, creating chances and scoring goals when he played the free role as LCM last season. Rashford was also scoring goals and was a constant threat as a right inside forward. Haaland I think can play as a left inside forward, he has the pace and has playes a similar role in Salzburg on the left of a two striker system.

Mcctominay can and has proven to be able to replace Herrera. Kalvin Phillips is a solid deep lying playmaker that can defend and pick out a pass. This is important to me because one of the problems we had last season was teams started marking Pogba and we became short of creativity. Phillips can hell with that.

red_de_pologne

I think this is our best formation with these players. We've played this formation last season and it worked. Martial has shown that he likes to drop deep and link up play so I think we should try him out as a a false 9.

Pogba was moving forward, creating chances and scoring goals when he played the free role as LCM last season. Rashford was also scoring goals and was a constant threat as a right inside forward. Haaland I think can play as a left inside forward, he has the pace and has playes a similar role in Salzburg on the left of a two striker system.

Mcctominay can and has proven to be able to replace Herrera. Kalvin Phillips is a solid deep lying playmaker that can defend and pick out a pass. This is important to me because one of the problems we had last season was teams started marking Pogba and we became short of creativity. Phillips can hell with that.
When? He's in the form of his life playing wide left :houllier:

EireRed_GS

Dont be surprised if we sign no one in Jan lads.. im not hopeful at all

Pogba coming back (if he does) will be spun as a new signing etc etc

Maddison wont leave Leicester until the summer. Nor will he be allowed to leave whilst they currently have a chance to put pressure on the scousers for the title.

Haaland? Ive no idea. maybe maybe not. Leipzig have a good game vs spurs upcoming in the CL. still does not sort our CAM glaring hole

Sancho? Nah again, not much chance of him going anywhere until the summer, despite the headlines about him being out of favour recently.

We'll get to the last day and Woodward will prob announce a new contract for Matic and a new thai shoelace sponsor

Adnan

Talent Spotter

I'd put Ethan Laird on the bench instead of Lingard. Having Mason, James and Lingard would be overkill.

With AWB and Shaw as fullbacks i'd personally prefer someone more creative in midfield rather than Kalvin Phillips because otherwise I fear we'll struggle to create chances with Pogba the sole source of creativity. A box to box #8 would be ideal, someone like Bruno Guimaraes would be the ideal player IMO and it would be a better balanced midfield with two players (Pogba&Guimaraes) having the ability to deliver the decisive pass in advance areas or from deeper. Guimaraes would likely cost less than Phillips too and his ability to help both attack and defense would be ideal imo.

DamoK

I don't think that this would be the case. They just spend the best part of £130m quid on 2 defenders in the summer. You just don't do that if you don't want this team to improve. If we don't sign anyone in January it will be because we couldn't get the right deal over the line.

Haaland looks certain to be moving somewhere - fingers crossed. Sancho won't be going anywhere. It makes no sense for Dortmund to sell him now unless they are writing off progress in the CL and they don't seem the type of club that will do that. Wait six more months and they get £100+ for the player no problem.
Yeah but we sold Lukaku and we had sold Fellaini previously that covered most of the costs for Wan Bissaka and Maguire. We didn't sign anyone last January and the summer before that we bought Fred and Dalot. So our net spend is poor. We need to strenghen in January but I don't see it happening, Leipzig confirmed they are in talks with Haaland and I can see him choosing them instead of us. Best we can hope for in January is Can and Mandzukic. I'd be happy if I'm wrong but I'm sick of that idiot Woodward and the way he deals with transfers.

Last edited:

croadyman

The importance of strengthening our squad to cover injuries to our midfield and attacking arrears seems a no brainer if we want to acheive top 6 let alone top 4 or have any ambition of backdooring the CL via the euro, even if they are not players who should eventually demand 1st eleven spots, injuries to McT and Martial (although I would like to see Martial replaced anyway) have demonstrated the devastating effect on our form and ability to maintain league position.

Just raid a midfielder or two from one of teh lesser lights for now, get Haaland if we can if not use greenwood and pick up another midfielder for the squad.

We do not necessarily need star spangled signings right now (although it would be nice) we can cope until the summer with just good squad depth players, the ilk of past workhorses like O'Shea, happy to do a job for the team in a few positions and warm the bench when not needed.

I reckon this January window could in retrospect be viewed down teh years as where OGS utd managerial career was made or lost
Yeah we should bring in a midfielder in January,like you say it doesn't have to be a star name but would be negligent just relying on Pogba. Where do we look for creativity if he gets shut down by the opposition.

Looks like your worries about a injury to McTominay have come true. If he is out for a lengthy period of time I see Utd going one of two ways. They either decide to buy a CDM/CM or my gut feeling is they give Fosu Mensah a shot in that position.

Last edited:

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Becomes even more crucial after Everton and Watford. If Woody lets us down here, I don't see Ole making top 4 or winning the Europa League with this squad. You can bet your house one of Martial/Rashford /Pogba/McT will be injured for an extended period in the second half of the season.

Need a forward and a midfielder, and top ones at that.