Importance of the January 2020 Transfer Window

Mark Pawelek

I don't consider myself a pessimist, so let's be realistic. Woodward has no fecking clue. This window will be a bust.

I've given up on us getting to where we were as long as the guy is in charge.
Woodward says he doesn't decide who transfer targets are; but he a veto over bad contracts which is only fair. No CEO anywhere should allow bad employment contracts. Ole is certainly limited by available money, but otherwise the management team seem to be free to go after who they want. I'll blame Woodward for appointing 4 managers in 6 years. The root problem at United is the Glazers.

tjb

I know it may be expensive to get players in in lump sum these days, but we really need something in that midfield. It's starting to get bad. Our attacking midfield position and depth is championship level and in a 4231, especially because rashford and Martial play facing the goal and are more of goalscoring than creative threats, it means we need the midfield to also be creative, and the no.10 to be of a certain quality if we are to go anywhere. Lingard and Pereira are killing us. It's that bad. They offer not creativity or even presence to the role. Its like playing with 10 men. There is literally no point to a 4231 with two defensive midfielders, if you do not have creative attackers, and more specifically a creative no.10.

frookydinho

Tonight's game further shows the importance of this month. We talk about a process and rebuilding, so we have to make the most out of any transfer window. I just struggle to understand what direction we are heading in. Things are only going to get worse this season if we do not freshen things up. Spend whatever it takes. Man utd are a money machine, so lets use what we are good at and bring players who are going to help turn around our fortunes.

jackal&hyde

If we don't bring players in this window, i would go if i was Ole. It's not worth getting trashed by both the media and the fans when you have to play Jones, Lingard, Matic and rely on 18 year olds but be expected to play good consistent football. The board bent over backwards in the transfer market for LVG and Mourinho, time to support Ole too.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
Glimmer of hope: Woodward was in the stand yesterday. Even he must have thought after that first half: "this is embarassing, we have to do something".

Right? :wenger:

jackal&hyde

Glimmer of hope: Woodward was in the stand yesterday. Even he must have thought after that first half: "this is embarassing, we have to do something".

Right? :wenger:
He and his transfers are the reason our squad looks the way it does after 100s of millions investment.

Smores

If we don't bring players in this window, i would go if i was Ole. It's not worth getting trashed by both the media and the fans when you have to play Jones, Lingard, Matic and rely on 18 year olds but be expected to play good consistent football. The board bent over backwards in the transfer market for LVG and Mourinho, time to support Ole too.
He's on the sack list i doubt we'll be giving him much to spend. He spent a lot in the summer and we've seen no benefit from it.

jackal&hyde

He's on the sack list i doubt we'll be giving him much to spend. He spent a lot in the summer and we've seen no benefit from it.
We are in the top 4 fight, still in all cups and made some good games against better teams. He's not on the sack list.

This time last year we were something like 14 point of top 4 after supporting that manager with about 400 mil. We are in a much better position now, as difficult as it may sound after the humiliating defeat the big picture actually looks better then it ever did since SAF.

Last edited:

Crashoutcassius

Now is the perfect time to put pressure on the hierarchy. We are totally unprepared. All people moan about is ole who will be gone by end of season anyway. I wish the fan base could spend energy putting pressure on club instead

Crashoutcassius

We are in the top 4 fight, still in all cups and made some good games against better teams. He's not on the sack list.
He's not on the sack list whatever that is, bit he will be gone sooner or later after not achieving any goals. It will be some % because he needs to do his job better and some % because of the club structure above him. The fact that we have already sacked 2 world class managers gives a guide to those ‰. Like if mourinho had a 10pc chance of being a success then ole has a 5 and maybe poch has 15

Crashoutcassius

There will always be an excuse not to buy an expensive player. The problem is that we haven't had a manager who can work around that since 2013.
Just had duds like mourinho, top 5 ever managers, how could he be expected to compete.

The club will go sign poch now who has won nothing .. when will they learn !

Emery is probably the best bit, had great success on a budget with Seville

jackal&hyde

He's not on the sack list whatever that is, bit he will be gone sooner or later after not achieving any goals. It will be some % because he needs to do his job better and some % because of the club structure above him. The fact that we have already sacked 2 world class managers gives a guide to those ‰. Like if mourinho had a 10pc chance of being a success then ole has a 5 and maybe poch has 15
Mourinho was sacked because after 400mil investment we were 14 point from top 4 in December and turned the team against him. LVG the same, huge investment with terrible results. Ole is not there yet. This time next year maybe, but he has to get the same support; as of today, he had 70 mil net budget.

Smores

Defence is better and that's where we bought so... Next excuse not to spend ?
Better than last season perhaps but that's a terrible standard for 150 million or whatever it was.

We'll be running it very close to our second most goals conceded post-fergie i reckon. Not an acceptable standard by any measure.

If Longstaff was our midfield target in the summer i don't blame Woody for not spending.

SteveCoppellFan

This squad is the worst United squad in decades.

Ole cannot be blamed for that, its called accumulated disaster.

The transfer and renewing of contracts policy at United is a utter shambles and its taken a few years of terrible decisions to get to this stage.

Ole has inherited a absolute disaster in the making.

JoaquinJoaquin

This time last year we were something like 14 point of top 4 after supporting that manager with about 400 mil. We are in a much better position now, as difficult as it may sound after the humiliating defeat the big picture actually looks better then it ever did since SAF.
No, we aren't.

No chance in hell we get Top 4 and now we are pretty much out the League Cup. Probably be out of the FA Cup next week and then we have a dead season.

jackal&hyde

No, we aren't.

No chance in hell we get Top 4 and now we are pretty much out the League Cup. Probably be out of the FA Cup next week and then we have a dead season.
Yes, there is a chance, especially if we buy this window. Last season under the toxic one there was no chance.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

The transfer and renewing of contracts policy at United is a utter shambles and its taken a few years of terrible decisions to get to this stage.

If Ole had any common sense he wouldn't have taken the job in the first place. I know it is his dream job, but it is going to destroy him and take the club with it.

Bestietom

Last night proved the importance of this rebuild to continue. But we should have been negotiating this past 6 months and have players ready to come in. Woody will take forever to get someone over the line.
A look at our team and bench last night, will tell you how short we are. Ole will have to demand that if a player is going out a replacement needs to come in. No replacements for Herrera and Fellaini or Lukaku and Sanchez is really showing to be our downfall this season. We let Smalling go on loan and our CB's are not performing to standard. Just don't understand how bad our club has got.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Last night proved the importance of this rebuild to continue. But we should have been negotiating this past 6 months and have players ready to come in. Woody will take forever to get someone over the line.
A look at our team and bench last night, will tell you how short we are. Ole will have to demand that if a player is going out a replacement needs to come in. No replacements for Herrera and Fellaini or Lukaku and Sanchez is really showing to be our downfall this season. We let Smalling go on loan and our CB's are not performing to standard. Just don't understand how bad our club has got.
The worst part is that this was entirely predictable we'd have a bad season due to our lack of depth. Pretty much every fan in the Summer was screaming for us to sign a midfielder. Its on the board ultimately for not delivering on transfers, we now have a squad that is wafer thin and we're patching holes with youth players.

Bestietom

The worst part is that this was entirely predictable we'd have a bad season due to our lack of depth. Pretty much every fan in the Summer was screaming for us to sign a midfielder. Its on the board ultimately for not delivering on transfers, we now have a squad that is wafer thin and we're patching holes with youth players.
Exactly, And it's a crying shame to see our club being brought down by these money grabbing leeches. I am supporting this club since 1959 and we were always The Club that every player wanted to come to. Now we can't seem to get a transfer over the line.
Sometimes I wonder if this is an act so as not to dig into the funds. We need to get woody away from this end of things, and get someone who knows about football to do the dealings.

Sambob

Are we actually doing ANYTHING this transfer window? Ole talking about players playing for places?! what are we going to do, just let players leave and continue to not replace them until we have 6 players and play every game handicapped?

This is a basic part of football, signing players, its been key since day one. We seem to have adopted this policy of polishing turds rather than even attempting to sign the best playters.

I saw somebody say we are as bad as the Hodgeson Liverpool side and in my opinion we are worse, I think players would rather sign for 6 or 7 clubs just in the premier league before they sign for us....

I dont think ive ever said this about United, and im normally pretty optimistic but we are FU**ED

romufc

But we should have been negotiating this past 6 months and have players ready to come in
That is called good business, being proactive, sensible.. nothing that Ed Woodward is capable of.

It feels as if the transfer window and discussions only take place when the transfer window is open. They think ok its open lets scout players and try get deals done.

So poor.

dev1l

If Ole had any common sense he wouldn't have taken the job in the first place. I know it is his dream job, but it is going to destroy him and take the club with it.
True. It s like trying to do something with your hands tied behind your back.
Very clever from the board.

Bestietom

The transfer window will be gone by us and we will still be looking at players. It's just a circus and the wool is being pulled over our eyes.

romufc

£7.5m a year.

That is enough for anyone to take the job.

As a manager you, you believe in yourself that you can do something and turn things around.

romufc

The transfer window will be gone by us and we will still be looking at players. It's just a circus and the wool is being pulled over our eyes.
you'd be surprised the number of fans who are defending Woodward and the glazers.

JoaquinJoaquin

Brief gone out that we are 'considering' Van Der Beek, which comes right after a defeat. Text book Woodward.

Bestietom

Brief gone out that we are 'considering' Van Der Beek, which comes right after a defeat. Text book Woodward.
We will get promises, promises, promises, right up to transfer deadline day. Then excuses. The right players weren't available.
Players should have been identified and the negotiating done, months ago. We lost out on Haaland and Kulusevski because of this.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
There definately are players out there that would come for the right price. I guess Sander Berge from my country would come and would better the team as a DM right now and for only 25 mill. Ajax players Beek & Zieych would cost 45m+ but feasible. Creative midfield though is hard. I don't think Grealish or Maddison is feasible in january and there aren't many players to choose from that would come in and strengthen the team + be the right profile. Maybe Golovin at Monaco or Havertz at Leverkusen? Young and creative players that already has a lot to offer. I don't understand what the Club is thinking, sounds like Ole wants players but does not say much to media. Got a feeling he is pushing Woodward for new players, only can hope the club realizes how important 1-2 midfielders would be for the remainder of the season. Imagine if Fred gets injured as well now. Transfers need to happen now, not 31.january. Squad will have a high risk of more injuries and we might end up like last year in march.

Noc-Z

ffs

This is how I feel. I've said for a long time that the squad planning/management has been horrific - it's been neglected actually. This dates as far back as towards the end of Ferguson's tenure! The midfield in particular was completely neglected.

When I look at the squad we have now it's actually frightening and sad the state we are in and how much is needing done. We have spent money but so many mistakes have been made. I think that's maybe why we seem so slow to make transfers now - scared to make the mistakes of the last 5/6 years over and over again.

I really don't think we'll sign anyone in January, we are too uncertain and hesitant.

Last edited:

Bestietom

There definately are players out there that would come for the right price. I guess Sander Berge from my country would come and would better the team as a DM right now and for only 25 mill. Ajax players Beek & Zieych would cost 45m+ but feasible. Creative midfield though is hard. I don't think Grealish or Maddison is feasible in january and there aren't many players to choose from that would come in and strengthen the team + be the right profile. Maybe Golovin at Monaco or Havertz at Leverkusen? Young and creative players that already has a lot to offer. I don't understand what the Club is thinking, sounds like Ole wants players but does not say much to media. Got a feeling he is pushing Woodward for new players, only can hope the club realizes how important 1-2 midfielders would be for the remainder of the season. Imagine if Fred gets injured as well now. Transfers need to happen now, not 31.january. Squad will have a high risk of more injuries and we might end up like last year in march.
Agree, we need players now and the ones you have mentioned would strengthen the team and all 3 for less than 130million. Not a huge price to pay if you really want Champions League football.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Do you think that if Real Madrid/Barcelona wanted Maddison or Fernandes or Grealish or Soumare they would dilly-dally or try to squeexe a few million here and there?!
NO, they would pay the money and get the players they want/need.
And there lies our problem.

sparx99

Depends on how far supporters take it. If there were riots in the stadium (which I'm not condoning), mass walkouts etc., I think they would take notice or at least the sponsors would.
Ripping out seats would make headlines around the world.

Is it wrong to suggest a massive harassment campaign against Ed Woodward and the Glazers? I’d like to see fans block Ed’s car getting into the ground every day and for games.

sparx99

Did you miss Mourinho’s first season? When we finished 2nd and won 2 cups?Also we are onto closer to top 4 because Tottenham, Chelsea and Arsenal have all been worse this year. It’s not because we’ve improved. In fact the points total compared to a Mourinho last season says we’ve been worse.

M16Red

Do you think that if Real Madrid/Barcelona wanted Maddison or Fernandes or Grealish or Soumare they would dilly-dally or try to squeexe a few million here and there?!
NO, they would pay the money and get the players they want/need.
And there lies our problem.
Yep, Dembele cost 13.5 mil the season before Barcelona paid 113mil.

Just pay the money Ed you cheap fecker.

manuchamp88

Ripping out seats would make headlines around the world.

Is it wrong to suggest a massive harassment campaign against Ed Woodward and the Glazers? I’d like to see fans block Ed’s car getting into the ground every day and for games.
I mean, harassment is illegal and ripping out seats would be too but hell, there are probably enough United fans out there crazy enough to do it.

BigLebowski007

So 10 days into January and we still have no new arrivals? It's crystal clear what we need for 3 months already! Why were there no deal terms agreed so far? They could have worked out all details by now and just get the deals official at start of January!! I really think we won't get any new arrivals in january and this will be a total shite season!

Instead of reinforcments it looks like we lost Maguire for a month, Pogba for 2, McT for 2 and Young to Inter probably! Happy New Year!!!