Improvements Versus Last Season

H10

Huseyin 10
Hey Guys - made this video based around the 3 areas we improved, check it out but if not the main talking points are below:

The 3 areas we improved on compared to last year was:

1) Transfers - Bruno, Maguire and Wan-Bissaka all have been regulars this season, playing the majority of games when fit. James was also doing well at the start of the seson, but did fall down the pecking order once Mason Greenwood came into the fold. Bruno in particular contributing 15 Goals + Assists was the catalyst in the 2nd part of the season. Compared to last year where the main investments were Fred and Dalot, both of whom have failed to nail a starting spot when all players have been available. In Dalot's case not even making the bench on numerous occasions. Where would you like to see our transfer focus being on next? Sancho seems to be the obvious top target at the moment.

2) Defensively - We conceded 18 goals fewer than last season. Having the 3rd best defensive record behind Man City and Liverpool, whereas last season we were 11th! Maguire and Wan-Bissaka were a big reason for this. Maguire playing all 38 games and having the 4th highest headed clearances, bringing some reassurance from an aerial point of view. Wan-Bissaka had the most tackles in the whole league with 129. Both were also in the top 6 defenders for interceptions. Suprisingly, Lindelof was the only defender in the league who didn't get dribbled past...the stat which made Van Dijk famous last season ;). Are you happy with our defence now? What do you make of Smalling possibly returning since Roma are unwilling to buy him outright. Does he have a palce in the squad or will he be sold?

3) Strikers - Last year our top scorers were Pogba with 13 and Lukaku with 12. This year both Martial and Rashford reached 17 goals each, and Mason Greenwood 10 for his first proper campaign. What should be the target for them next season? 20? Topscorer in the league?

Where else did you guys see clear progress compared to last season?

Reactions: Invictus

United58

Really nice video.

I think phasing out unwanted/inadequate players (Sanchez, Smalling, Rojo, Lingard etc.) from the club/squad has been done really well. Clearing the wage bill for new arrivals is important - the lockdown means our finances will take a hit.

We've also transitioned well from an old team that sits back and waits for an opposition error under Mourinho to an exciting, pressing team under Ole (though I do think we need to work on the press a lot, it's erratic at times).

Another thing we need to work on is rotation - I imagine Ole is slow to rotate now due to the lack of quality we have in reserve, that needs to be improved this window (signing Sancho means we'd have four amazing players for our forward positions, which would be a good start!).

AshRK

We are not yet the finished product but our line up looks more stable and after a long time we know our strongest starting 11. We are playing like a team rather than bunch of individuals who don't even know each other.

Our squad looks more happy and there seems to be a growing bond among the players and they want to play for the batch.

United58

We are not yet the finished product but our line up looks more stable and after a long time we know our strongest starting 11. We are playing like a team rather than bunch of individuals who don't even know each other.

Our squad looks more happy and there seems to be a growing bond among the players and they want to play for the batch.
This is huge - we didn't look like a team at all since 2013, even winning trophies and coming second we looked disjointed; apparently there were separate groups entirely under Jose in the squad. Glad we're all seemingly on the same page now, great camaraderie between our attackers

H10

Huseyin 10
Really nice video.

I think phasing out unwanted/inadequate players (Sanchez, Smalling, Rojo, Lingard etc.) from the club/squad has been done really well. Clearing the wage bill for new arrivals is important - the lockdown means our finances will take a hit.

We've also transitioned well from an old team that sits back and waits for an opposition error under Mourinho to an exciting, pressing team under Ole (though I do think we need to work on the press a lot, it's erratic at times).

Another thing we need to work on is rotation - I imagine Ole is slow to rotate now due to the lack of quality we have in reserve, that needs to be improved this window (signing Sancho means we'd have four amazing players for our forward positions, which would be a good start!).
Thanks mate.

Yeah clearing the deadwood has defo helped, lets hope we get some decent players to provide competition. As to your point about rotation, it seems not many outside the starting 11 were trusted. Especially in the final few games when some fresh legs might have been ideal. I think those stretch of games where we were winning by 3-0 goals for like 4-5 games really whet the appetite in regards to how good we can be when we attack. Lets hope it continues next season!

H10

Huseyin 10

Agreed. Especially seeing videos from their instagram pages from the likes of Ighalo showing a great vibe in the dressing room with players having a good time.

Robertd0803

1). We bought Bruno.
2). Our transfers were a massive improvement than previous windows. We bought what was needed instead of the scattergun approach and Ole wasnt afraid to jettison some he didnt want.
3). We conceded less.
4). We scored more.
5). The team spirit is massivley improved. The general air around the team seems much better.
6). Our first choice 11 is one of the strongest in the league.
7). Some of our football was a joy to watch. Besides Mourinhos first season until the City defeat at Old Trafford and those 3 games under LvG I cant remember any spells of good football. This season at times you expected it.
8). We actually have a direction again. This should probably be higher on the list but I wasnt going back to change the numbers.

Still a fair amount of work to be done but things are a far cry from the Mourinho days.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Cannot stress enough the importance of Maguire. Great, great signing.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
If we are serious about getting rid of deadwoods and not creating more, someone from the football side needs to get more involved on the contract side -- giving Rojo and Jones bump-up in salaries when they had barely played or were never in the various managers' plans is criminal.

H10

Huseyin 10
Agreed. There is this narrative around him always due to his price tag, and bar a couple mistakes, he has actually been a very strong influence on the squad in general.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Yup, him and Lindlelof have been a brilliant pairing.
I highlighted in another thread that we have conceded just three more goals than Liverpool.
Had we been as prolific going forward all season as we have since the restart our season would have been different.
We have conceded 18 less goals than last season, despite playing a more attacking variety of football.
Maguire has been integral in that.

Relfy

Lot's of reasons to be positive moving forward. We've had a number of improvements as mentioned above, but one thing that also cannot be ignored is the improvement of many individuals within the squad. Rashford and Martial are both ending season with career high scoring records. McTominay improved a lot this season though we saw less of him after the restart. Fred looked like an actual footballer, whereas before he struggled to string a few passes together. Lindelof has improved and become more solid (I personally still have some doubts but credit where it's due). Shaw has been a better attacking outlet too.

If we can continue to get the incoming and outgoing transfers right, as well as blend in some academy products too, we will be in very good shape. I think next season is too son for this team as we probably need 3-4 transfer windows to complete the squad, but this coming season could be a real springboard for this squad.

Web of Bissaka

Adding to OP's.. 1) Transfers, 2) Defense, 3) Attacks

4) Entertainment - football is a lot more fun.
5) Team cohesion
6) Mentality - there is a collective purpose now, less individual's and less varieties.
7) Youth integration - is greater than last season.
8) Manager and players relationships - better communication between them.. not really hard.

romufc

Agreed. So many fans on the Maguire thread are questioning his signing. In a Covid market, Ake is going for £41m. Maguire was the 2nd best defender in the PL, an England International who has mad a massive improvement to our defence.

Starts every game for us.

Look around the teams, Chelsea, Arsenal, City are all looking for PL proven CB's.

I also expect Maguire to kick on next season.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The players do look happier. Since 2013, they've looked reserved in games.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We have made great strides. That said, I’m not optimistic of major success next season. I think we would need to work on our midfield, which to me is comfortably the worst part of our team. Because we now have good midfield players, I think some are fooled into believing we have a top midfield. It’s the worst I’ve seen it for a while, and is ill-equipped for the top of the game to me. The personnel do not match, there is no unit. Just 3 guys doing what they want, and it will cost us next season unless a change is made, maybe not necessarily in terms of personnel, but at least tactically.

mewnew11

Hey Guys - made this video based around the 3 areas we improved, check it out but if not the main talking points are below:

The 3 areas we improved on compared to last year was:

1) Transfers - Bruno, Maguire and Wan-Bissaka all have been regulars this season, playing the majority of games when fit. James was also doing well at the start of the seson, but did fall down the pecking order once Mason Greenwood came into the fold. Bruno in particular contributing 15 Goals + Assists was the catalyst in the 2nd part of the season. Compared to last year where the main investments were Fred and Dalot, both of whom have failed to nail a starting spot when all players have been available. In Dalot's case not even making the bench on numerous occasions. Where would you like to see our transfer focus being on next? Sancho seems to be the obvious top target at the moment.

2) Defensively - We conceded 18 goals fewer than last season. Having the 3rd best defensive record behind Man City and Liverpool, whereas last season we were 11th! Maguire and Wan-Bissaka were a big reason for this. Maguire playing all 38 games and having the 4th highest headed clearances, bringing some reassurance from an aerial point of view. Wan-Bissaka had the most tackles in the whole league with 129. Both were also in the top 6 defenders for interceptions. Suprisingly, Lindelof was the only defender in the league who didn't get dribbled past...the stat which made Van Dijk famous last season ;). Are you happy with our defence now? What do you make of Smalling possibly returning since Roma are unwilling to buy him outright. Does he have a palce in the squad or will he be sold?

3) Strikers - Last year our top scorers were Pogba with 13 and Lukaku with 12. This year both Martial and Rashford reached 17 goals each, and Mason Greenwood 10 for his first proper campaign. What should be the target for them next season? 20? Topscorer in the league?

Where else did you guys see clear progress compared to last season?

Nice Video! However there are things which are much more important and are the root cause for the improvements that we see. Here are the couple which are as clear as the day:

1) Identity Reset: There is a transformation in the clubs mindset. This can be seen everywhere.There is a major change in the attitude during games, there is a major change in how transfers are done there is a major change on how the club is run and also a major change in how the club is working as a group. Ole is a big factor to this. He came in and from day one he started talking as if the last six years were non existent. He knew what Manchester United was as a club and put down markers for everyone who wanted to become part of this great club. He started telling the media and the people who run the club that this is how United was in the past and this is how United will be going forward. Old values like promoting youth and analysing character of a player were bought to the forefront. The club rejected Dybalas demands which i thought was the first sign that we were moving in the right direction. We went from "United wants to sign a big player " to " Player wants to play for United ". It is United that is important and primary and not the player. The club now has identity, the fans also subconsciously understand and relate to what United is all about.

2) There is a Vision: There is a plan and a roadmap in place now. I think the club has an idea about where it is right now and where it has to move. There is a clear understanding now that football on the pitch is what defines United, the commercial side is a complimentary to it and not the base. The investment in youth structures, the ramping up of the recruitment teams and the way media is briefed tells me that we know what we are doing and now there is collaboration and communication amongst various departments of the club. The important thing again is to stick to the Vision. When we sold Lukaku and gave greenwood a chance it showed the club had great trust in its values and policies. It stuck to its new found identity and vision and now is reaping benefits. Strikers , defenders and style of play have all improved and will keep improving because now there is a vision and belief in that vision.Everyone related to the club i.e. the players , the fans , the staff etc all know that this is work in progress however they all know what they are working towards and the vision is clear and in line with what Manchester United is all about.

I really want to give ole his due in all this. A lot of people write him off because he hasnt managed a big club or think he doesnt have the tactical acumen. However i think Ole at this moment is exactly what the club needed. Yes, we might find a better coach or a better manager with great tactical knowhow than Ole but Ole knows United, he lived United and i am sure he will die United. He knew that club needed a cultural reset and was an integral part in bringing about the change it needed.

There are some good times ahead ! Enjoy the ride fellow reds!

Foxbatt

Got 3rd place too. Agree with all you said. So I want to point out the failures or the most important improvements we need.
Corners. We need to score a lot more from corners. It's very well to say that Maguire needs to score.
But it needs variations for creating the opportunity. It means near post corners too.
Every top club uses it. It's just science. The human brain judges the flight of the ball. The more time it's in the air the better the judgment. When it's hit to the near post for a flick ( different to what we do where it's hot so their defense easily clears it), when it's flicked it's flight is changed and the time for the new calculation is needed. Keeper and defence has to move too. It's much more difficult to defend against a near post corner than straight forward corners.
I really wish we could bring more variations into our corners. We certainly have the players to do it.