In general, what qualities should we actually be looking for when we appoint a manager?

Ziggy Starduster

We need the manager with a style of fluid attacking, high pressing that focuses on youth and experience, who want to play for our club.
Pretty much what Ole sold himself as to the board and us, but just can’t deliver.

Kurton

Since most our players have very little football intelligence, they need to be properly coached about how to move when not in possession of the ball and whom to pass when having the ball. Give anything to bring Bielsa and his entire coaching staff from Leeds on a caretaker basis, only he can have instant impact on these set of players.

Corwin

Attack, attack, attack! I'm bored to death to see defensive-oriented managers. I want to see again some beautiful play in attack and many goals!

kps88

Everyone here is describing the perfect manager. I think people need to learn to accept us getting a successful manager at the peak of his abilities is extremely unlikely. The best in the world are not going to join us because we're a messy long term project with a questionable structure at the top.

We're going to have to either get a young manager who will hopefully hit his peak with us or an experienced one who is going through what is hopefully just a rough patch.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Clear style of play is not enough. You need to adjust your play to cope with tactics which will inevitably be used to defeat it. Fluency in tactics too. Also: if you don't have a DoF system in place, the new manager must have a vision for building the squad. Not forgetting - good man-management skills - required by all managers at all levels.
You are asking for too much.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Personally I have wanted a young up-and-coming manager for a long time, a club like United, not United specifically, needs to be the biggest stage of his career when he is appointed because at that level you need to compromise and adapt nothing is beneath you, I feel that it's a mistake that established managers make, there is a point where they are set in their believes and won't budge. And by up-and-coming I understand, someone that is in the first half of his career and has been overachieving at an intermediary club, at a perennial group stage CL and EL club.

As for the qualities, the list is relatively short since I want the head coach and the DOF to be different people. The head coach needs to be an actual coach, someone that wants to teach and develop players, someone curious and open minded that wants to improve and learn, someone with an identity, a tactical personality. Now I don't mention man management because the DOF can and should be a big contribuator in that department and you can always have assistants that deals with these things, so I see it as a perk more than a requirement.

passing-wind

Manager who has a philosophy, can nurture talent and a motivator. These are what Solskjaer actually lacks, he couldn't motivate Cardiff, so it's evident he's got no chance motivating United.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Does it matter what the clear style of play is?

You could argue that Mourinho and certainly LVG had clear styles of play, they just weren't particularly attractive.
Mourinho at ManUtd didn't have clear style of play, whatever the complaints we see now (lack of attacking patterns, players looking clueless when in possession) was also same during Jose's time here. We didn't even counter attack under Jose, which is something Jose is expert at.

Against stronger teams we played defensive game and played long ball to Lukaku but against other teams, we had more possession but didn't create enough chances.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We could all agree on a list, and even if we went and got exactly that, the forum would still criticise and we would still be a clueless club unless we go and win the league pretty much.

We’ve appointed managers who have been popular choices at the time.

Nikelesh Reddy

Reading through the thread(s) asking who the next manager should be, it seems there is a divided opinion on the qualities that are essential in a new appointment. A lack of clarity that has been reflected in appointments to date:

Moyes - Was appointed off the back of a percieved good job during a long spell at Everton, getting them to the CL on one occasion. Was percieved as being hard-working, humble, steady and a safe pair of hands for the long term.

Van Gaal - Was appointed off the back of a long history of managing and succeeding at top European clubs, in contrast to Moyes' lack of experience in that regard. Was percieved as bringing top level experience, a strong personality and a defined philosophy on how the game should be played, all of which also contrasted with Moyes.

Mourinho - Shared some of the same percieved strong points that LVG had over Moyes (a strong personality and experience at the top level) but crucially had more recent success, was experienced in the PL, a results-first approach that contrasted with LVG's dogmatic posession philosophy and a focus on shorter-term success.

Solskjaer - A manager with almost no experience at this level, in contrast to all three prior appointments. Was percieved to have a strong connection to the club (where Moyes, LVG and Mou were outsiders), a softer approach (more similar to Moyes than the strident LVG and Mou), a desire to return us to the style of football of our glory years (as opposed to the possession-based LVG or the defensive Mourinho) and a longer term, youth orientated approach (in contrast with Mourinho).

Managers with a mixed bag of traits, often appointed for qualities that contrast with their predecessors, none of whom have succeeded here.

So, my question: What qualities are essential in our next appointment in your view? What type of manager do we need? I'm not really looking for suggestions of who we should appoint, just what profile they should be.

Do they need to have extensive experience at the top level or should they be a younger, modern manager? Do they have to have won trophies or is other criteria more important? Do they have to play an attractive brand of football or are you fine with a pragmatic approach? Do they have to be cognisant of the traditions of the club or should they look to forget the past and stamp their own identity on the club? Should it be someone who looks to build for the long term or does it have to be someone who gets results now?
A manager who has a track record of building teams and playing good football.Someone who enjoys working and improving young players....A manager who’s either at his peak or 2-3 seasons away from reaching peak...

AshRK

A manager who doesn't make us look toothless. A good attacking football with tactically strong. I don't think it will be a quick fix but if there is progress then I think most fans would be patient.

Sir Scott McToMinay

2 pages in and I'm shocked nobody said "understands the club" yet.
When Moyes was manager:
“We need someone who won something”

When LvG was manager:
“We need someone who always wins trophies”

When Mourinho was manager:
“We need someone who plays attacking football, plays youth and understands the club”

Josep Dowling

We could all agree on a list, and even if we went and got exactly that, the forum would still criticise and we would still be a clueless club unless we go and win the league pretty much.

We’ve appointed managers who have been popular choices at the time.
I have to disagree on this. Personally I was ok with Mourinho's second season when we came 2nd. The football wasn't great at time but there was clear progress in the our position in the league and reaching another cup final. He should have been backed in the summer after with the players he wanted.

If you see progression in either results or the football on the pitch fans will ease up on their criticism. Mourinho had 50% of fans who hated him and 50% who loved him before he even joined the club. Moyes didn't have a style or get the results. LVG had style in his first season but that ended in the second year producing one chance a game. Again when he was sacked there was no style or results.

And now under Solskjaer we continue with no style or results.

Football evolves and we are seeing a domination of teams who play with possession based football, width from full backs and the high press. Surely it would make sense to hire a manager who has this style of football. It would evolve the 'United way', but fans want to see this style of football. If we saw that but were still losing games I feel fans would have more patience.

Fosu-Mens

When Moyes was manager:

When LvG was manager:

“We need someone who plays attacking football, plays youth and understands the club”

If we got one that understand how modern attacking football is played, that would be a start.

Micky Targaryen

When Moyes was manager:

When LvG was manager:

"We need someone with all of the above".

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
If we got one that understand how modern attacking football is played, that would be a start.
And what's that? The type of football we were playing in the mid 90s? Because nothing has really changed, just a bunch of new analysts and fans who think they're seeing new things because they can screencap stills of a game and put circles around a player.

Jacckk1985

Thinks we should ban Niall
Someone who manages to get the best out of players who have a lot to prove. Hungry and fit young squad who know each other strengths and weaknesses. Playing high line football with moving pressing with consistent movement and making the pitch as wide and long as possible.

Dansk

I have no idea at this point. It's a fecking mystery to me. We've tried Moyes, the salt-of-the-earth guy who made Everton more than the sum of their parts for a decade. We've tried LVG, the quirky and lovable guy with bags of experience. We've tried Mourinho, the Special One who waded through non-stop success up until relatively recently and was widely regarded as one of the world's two best managers. And now we've tried the club legend whose heart beats for United. None of it has worked at all. There's no manager in the world that makes me go "he's the one who's got what it takes." For all I know, we might be better off without a fecking manager at all.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
  • A manager that has an attack oriented philosophy with a possession based gameplan.
  • Good man management and emotional intelligence abilities
  • A Track record of overachieving
  • Emphasis on attacking fullback
  • Has player pulling power(as seen with Pochettino with Frankie De Jong and N’Dombele recently)
  • Premier league experience is a plus
  • Work with limited resources if has to
  • In the top 5 or 10 of best manager across the world(Pochettino is second or third considering Klopp won the best manager award)
  • Can get the best out of average players
  • Can lure a top talent from their previous club (Poch with Kane..game changer) is a plus
All in all Pochettino fits the criteria we need for our next manager. Other candidates that can fit such criteria are Tuchel and nagelsmann.

Ole doesn’t even check over 50% of this, no surprise that he is struggling.

Last edited:

Fosu-Mens

And what's that? The type of football we were playing in the mid 90s? Because nothing has really changed, just a bunch of new analysts and fans who think they're seeing new things because they can screencap stills of a game and put circles around a player.

Technical ability, possession and pressing as a unit incorporated into a system. Less dependent on individual performances where it up to the players to "express themselves".

hobbers

Intelligent.
Prefers an attack minded play style but also with a dose of pragmatism.
Tactical acumen and experience with different formations etc.
Quantifiable and respectable achievements in football management relative to their age.
Understands the modern footballer (how they're all snowflakes essentially).
Someone who wants to promote youth but, again, with a dose of pragmatism.
Someone who can command respect from both kids and from established top class footballers.
Someone who top class players would actually like to come and play for.

There were obvious mistakes with all our last four appointments but the key things were:
Moyes and Ole - no experience, no track record of success, dont command respect of top players, cant attract top players, no scouting networks, no tactical acumen

LVG - outdated approaches to football (on and off the field), old and approaching retirement

Mourinho - outdated approaches to football (on and off the field), too happy to burn the relationships with his players and with the board when the going got tough

devlinadl

• A manager that has an attack oriented philosophy with a possession based gameplan.
  • Good man management and emotional intelligence abilities
  • A Track record of overachieving
  • Emphasis on attacking fullback
  • Has player pulling power(as seen with Pochettino with Frankie De Jong and N’Dombele recently)
  • Premier league experience is a plus
  • Work with limited resources if has to
  • In the top 5 or 10 of best manager across the world(Pochettino is second or third considering Klopp won the best manager award)
  • Can get the best out of average players
  • Can lure a top talent from their previous club (Poch with Kane..game changer) is a plus
All in all Pochettino fits the criteria we need for our next manager. Other candidates that can fit such criteria are Tuchel and nagelsmann.

Ole doesn’t even check over 50% of this, no surprise that he is struggling.
Where does winning trophies come on the list?

Chairman Steve

I’d like to say one of my personal preferences would be someone who’s not affiliated with Utd in any way. We need new ideas and identity. I’m not feeling this ‘jobs for the boys’ mentality as nepotism and sentimentality in sports is a risky thing to play with. It can lead to stagnation.

Liverpool were stuck in either neutral or reverse in the 90s with Souness and Evans... only when a Frenchman who had no affiliation with them came in did they start turning it around.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
In no particular order...
Walks on water
Speaks 18 different languages fluently
Has a 25inch penis
Has written 25 books about quantum physics
Self made billionaire
Has discovered immortality
Been on the moon
Can lift a 500kg dumbell
Won 5 Nobel Peace prices

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Where does winning trophies come on the list?
Mourinho was a serial winner of trophies, yet he produced some of the worst football I have seen at United. So it is not a requirement. Especially if the manager has a poor footballing philosophy. Footballing philosophy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Trophies. If that is a requirement, Nagelsmann and Pochettino, some of the most progressive managers today will be disqualified.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Someone who can boil an ocean with a cigarette lighter.

Beside that’s what our entitled fans expect.

Else they gang up on you and demand you’re fired.

Jezpeza

Someone who can scout players, has authority, has clear tactics and reasonable high level experience, plays modern football at past club but also has the tactical nouse to break that apart and get a result with some tumescent football in the odd game - dont do a Wenger and try and out-football the top clubs so you get beaten 42 - 4 on aggregate by barcelona or bayern in a champions league knockout fixture every season, or drop all but 2 possible points against your title contenders each season.

rpg

All we need is someone who can scream and give hairdryer to Pogba and co. during halftime. Since many lacks intelligence on the pitch, they will fare better if they run more and try more.

MikeeMike

We need the manager with a style of fluid attacking, high pressing that focuses on youth and experience, who want to play for our club.
Pretty much what Ole sold himself as to the board and us, but just can’t deliver.
Agree but if not given time when players DONT deliver ?

Ziggy Starduster

Agree but if not given time when players DONT deliver ?
Thing is, we have seen everyone of these players perform better in a United shirt than they have under Ole. He's had time to try and implement some form of football or direction but is failing miserably at it. I get that players aren't performing but when we've seen them all perform well together in the past, it kind of leans towards management and training of players. We don't look like a team that work or train together.

Judas

Open to offers
Mourinho was a serial winner of trophies, yet he produced some of the worst football I have seen at United. So it is not a requirement. Especially if the manager has a poor footballing philosophy. Footballing philosophy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Trophies. If that is a requirement, Nagelsmann and Pochettino, some of the most progressive managers today will be disqualified.
Eh don't agree with this. We're Man Utd, we want to win trophies. That's where Spurs fall down heavily for me over the last few years, they've had all these chances and improved so much, but not a single trophy to show for it is simply a massive failure.

Good attacking football will usually result in winning things anyway.

Maticmaker

Qualities wanted at United in their manager;

At the moment, to be lucky enough to avoid relegation;
Ability to inspire players to give of their best every time they take to the pitch;
Able to devise appropriate tactics to avoid defeat in every game, but still play entertaining football;
Persuade Ed Woodward that he is serious when he asks for a certain player, "yes that one Ed, not a cheaper version"
Management foresight and capability to win at least two, preferable three top class trophies every season;
Find some who can take corners effectively:
Train Fred to be able to turn with the ball without losing it;
Persuade whoever, to have two or more massive screens erected at OT;
The foresight to play James down the middle, especially against lumbering CB's;
Win ever game by at least 4 clear goals;
Be able to walk on water;
Be able to turn water into wine;
Start every press conference with the words "We are Manchester United"!

davidmichael

A modern head coach with a clear idea of how they want to play but tactically flexible to change things if and when needed. Attack minded with great man management skills so the absolute best can be brought out of every player.

Good with bringing youth through and not afraid to take risks when it comes to playing them in first team games but also a great squad builder with everyone fitting a certain role, wants to be part of a long term project and doesn’t have an ego so big they alienate the club but at the same time is respected by the players so the dressing room doesn’t turn.

I’d be extremely happy to take any of Pochettino, Tuchel, Nagelsmaan, Ten Hag or right now I’d even take Gallardo or Rodgers and even Wenger as caretaker/interim manager as all play how he should do.

Theo88

We probably have the poorest and least talented midfield in the league when pogba is out. With martial injured we also lack decent quality up front. It's funny to ask for a better manager when the team is so poor. Any decent manager in any team in the Premier league would look to replace 5 of our starting 11 at best. No manager can turn this into a title challenging team and no manager can make lingard a top amc. Ole fixed our defence. It's a start. This is a bridge year. I don't particularly enjoy what's happening and I think the board should have invested heavily but they didn't. Blaming ole for a squad that is clearly so poor or expecting a magician to turn this around is silly. Retrospectively murinho did a good job with what he had.