Inaki Williams

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Bilbao is a weird club.
Not really. You go to live there and your children come through a youth system there, then no reason Bilbao wouldn't be interested in signing them on. In a lot of ways they are just like most other clubs, they have teams for people with disabilities/learning difficulties, they have women's teams, numerous youth teams they have a a film festival every year, showing films with football connections. A number of them highlighting LGBT issues. A couple of the players were at one of the films this year and discussed with the audience about accepting gay footballers into a football team. They have book weeks encouraging people to read. They are actually pretty forward thinking.

Jimmy_Bond

Or, you know, the kind of admirable mentality that's in short supply in modern football. Loyalty.

But yeah, let's crap on his mentality because he didn't want to join united.
Well, he's clearly a home-bird who has no desire to reach the top of European football. His loyalty is admirable, but it's still not the type of player we want to be chucking money at, wouldn't you agree?

If he's unwilling to step out of his comfort zone in order to reach his maximum potential, fair play to him, but not one I'd be wanting us to be chasing and trying to convince.

Nick7

Well, he's clearly a home-bird who has no desire to reach the top of European football. His loyalty is admirable, but it's still not the type of player we want to be chucking money at, wouldn't you agree?

If he's unwilling to step out of his comfort zone in order to reach his maximum potential, fair play to him, but not one I'd be wanting us to be chasing and trying to convince.
No top clubs are chasing him.

El-Manos

Doesn't matter. I am just commenting on the reactions based on him renewing.
All well and good but there is no reliable report stating we even bid for him, so how did the bloke reject us exactly? We were linked to about 100 players this summer, you reckon 97 of them rejected us considering only 3 joined?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
All well and good but there is no reliable report stating we even bid for him, so how did the bloke reject us exactly? We were linked to about 100 players this summer, you reckon 97 of them rejected us considering only 3 joined?
Not that well and good since you apparently didn't take my point. I didn't claim he rejected you. I commented on reactions to the apparent claims of it. Whether he really did or not has nothing to do with that

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Not really. You go to live there and your children come through a youth system there, then no reason Bilbao wouldn't be interested in signing them on. In a lot of ways they are just like most other clubs, they have teams for people with disabilities/learning difficulties, they have women's teams, numerous youth teams they have a a film festival every year, showing films with football connections. A number of them highlighting LGBT issues. A couple of the players were at one of the films this year and discussed with the audience about accepting gay footballers into a football team. They have book weeks encouraging people to read. They are actually pretty forward thinking.
Aye. Bilbao is a phenomenal region of Europe. The club is great.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool

It is fair play and admirable. Not "wrong mentality to succeed". Players who choose to to remain loyal to their home clubs should be commended.

El-Manos

Or, you know, the kind of admirable mentality that's in short supply in modern football. Loyalty.

But yeah, let's crap on his mentality because he didn't want to join united.
Not that well and good since you apparently didn't take my point. I didn't claim he rejected you. I commented on reactions to the apparent claims of it. Whether he really did or not has nothing to do with that
Yes you did. Apparent claims
from unreliable sources are not worthy of discussion.

Jimmy_Bond

It is fair play and admirable. Not "wrong mentality to succeed". Players who choose to to remain loyal to their home clubs should be commended.
All depends on your perception of the word "succeed."

If reaching the absolute maximum level possible is your measure of success, which for me and many others it is, then he has the wrong mentality by voluntarily choosing to stay at a upper/mid level Spanish club when apparently he has the opportunity to go higher.

If your next response will be equally pedantic, let's just agree to disagree.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
No top clubs are chasing him.
He's not that good imo, not a bad striker but very much one needed to be in a counter attacking team. If you face defences who sit deep he dosen't really impact on game much, needs space to run into badly.

Could do well in the prem I guess if he ever wants to come with the end to end nature but obviously very happy at Bilbao.

People need to remember Bilbao have this unique pull for players at other top clubs. You had Raul Garcia who was still a regular at Atletico Madrid who were challenging for CLs. Bilbao wanted him back and he came back. You have Yuri who played 22 games for PSG in 17-18 so a reasonably regular player, Bilbao clicked their fingers and he scuttles back home. When Laporte went to Man. City they just went and signed Inigo Martinez from Real Sociedad. Ibai Gomez another. When he signed Alaves were 12 places higher than Bilbao in the table.

If they'd been seriously interested Ander Herrera would've probably gone back there.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
If his composure was better he would be a top club striker, because he actually has very good qualities in him.

SAFMUTD

Great stamina, strenght and speed and that's it. I don't think he's or ever will be good enough to be starting for a top club, good option as substitute to run against tired defences but I doubt Bilbao would let him leave for a small sum so not an option either.

Josh 76

Great stamina, strenght and speed and that's it. I don't think he's or ever will be good enough to be starting for a top club, good option as substitute to run against tired defences but I doubt Bilbao would let him leave for a small sum so not an option either.
Daniel James