India politics thread

DM07

Anyone seen this? Didn't know that Soros conspirators had infiltrated India as well. Manages to link Pakistan, the Anti CAA Protests, and International NGOs to Soros and makes Modi the hero. :lol::lol:

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-54277329

Amnesty International to halt India operations
By Yogita Limaye
BBC News, Mumbai

Published1 hour ago

The watchdog says it has had to suspend its campaign and research work in India.

Amnesty International says it has been forced to halt its India operations due to "reprisals" from the government.

The watchdog has also accused the government of indulging in a "witch-hunt of human rights organisations".
Amnesty says its bank accounts have been frozen and it's been forced to lay off staff in the country, and suspend all its campaign and research work. The government is yet to respond to the allegations.

"We are facing a rather unprecedented situation in India. Amnesty International India has been facing an onslaught of attacks, bullying and harassment by the government in a very systematic manner," Rajat Khosla, the group's senior director of research, advocacy and policy, told the BBC.

"This is all down to the human rights work that we were doing and the government not wanting to answer questions we raised, whether it's in terms of our investigations into the Delhi riots, or the silencing of voices in Jammu and Kashmir."

In a report released last month, the group said police in the Indian capital, Delhi, committed human rights violations during deadly religious riots between Hindus and Muslims in February.
Rebutting the claims, the Delhi police told The Hindu newspaper that Amnesty's report was "lopsided, biased and malicious".

Earlier in August, on the first anniversary of the revocation of Indian-administered Kashmir's special status, Amnesty had called for the release of all detained political leaders, activists and journalists, and for the resumption of high-speed internet services in the region.

In 2019, the watchdog testified before the US Foreign Affairs Committee during a hearing on human rights in South Asia, where it highlighted its findings on arbitrary detentions, and the use of excessive force and torture in Kashmir.

media caption Delhi riots: 'No-one who saw the photo thought I would survive'
Amnesty has also repeatedly condemned what it says is a crackdown on dissent in India.
The group, which has faced scrutiny by different government agencies over the past few years, says the freezing of its bank accounts earlier this month was the final straw.

In August 2016, a case of sedition was filed against Amnesty India over allegations that anti-India slogans were raised at one of its events. Three years later, a court ordered the charges to be dropped.

In October 2018, the group's offices in the southern city of Bangalore were raided by the Enforcement Directorate, which investigates financial crimes. Its accounts were frozen then too, but Amnesty says it was able to access them after seeking a court's intervention.
In early 2019, the group says dozens of its small donors were sent letters by the country's income tax department. And later in the same year, Amnesty's offices were raided again, this time by the Central Bureau of Investigation, based on a case registered by India's home affairs ministry. Successive governments in India have been wary of foreign-funded non-profit, particularly human rights organisations.

Amnesty had previously suspended its India operations in 2009
, because of what the group said was repeated rejection of their licence to receive funds from overseas. India was then ruled by a Congress-led government, which sits in opposition now.
Over the years rules surrounding receiving foreign funds have been tightened, and thousands of non-profit groups have been banned from receiving money from overseas.

The current government has previously stated that Amnesty was being investigated over suspicions that the group was violating Indian laws surrounding foreign funding. "That's a blatant lie. Amnesty India is in full compliance of all domestic legal requirements and international legal requirements as well," Mr Khosla told the BBC.

The group's announcement comes amid growing concern over the state of free speech in India. The development, activists say, could dent India's long-standing reputation of being a thriving democracy.

"India does not stand in good company with these moves it is making. We operate in over 70 countries, and the only other country previously that we had been forced to shut operations in was Russia in 2016," says Mr Khosla. "I hope people around the world sit up and take notice. We are doing this with a very heavy heart, and a deep sense of anguish and grief."
The group says it will continue to fight its legal cases in India.

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
I used to follow Indian politics closely up until Modi won the election in 2014, but I'm a bit out of the loop now. Any possibility of getting a couple of paragraphs of the current situation? I'm under the impression that Modi is getting more repressive and uses all tools of the state apparatus against any voices not conforming to the Hindutva orthodoxy. I saw William Dalrymple was targeted the other day. Or am I way off here?

Foxbatt

I used to follow Indian politics closely up until Modi won the election in 2014, but I'm a bit out of the loop now. Any possibility of getting a couple of paragraphs of the current situation? I'm under the impression that Modi is getting more repressive and uses all tools of the state apparatus against any voices not conforming to the Hindutva orthodoxy. I saw William Dalrymple was targeted the other day. Or am I way off here?
He is interfering in all of the countries in the region. In Maldives the Indian High Commissioner is acting as the defacto Governor General and interfering in their local affairs too. It is in every newspaper there. In fact he has refused to take back some Indian military troops that had come to Maldives.

coolredwine

lameredboots
He’s proper far-right now.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
The people he's targeting include student activists, professors, journalists, and politicians. There are 2 major cases under which they're being targeted.
One is related to a big public meeeting of Dalits in Pune in 2018, after which there was some violence. AFAIK, nobody was killed, some property was damaged, and shops were closed for a day. Other caste groups were involved in the violence too.
The other were the much deadlier riots in Delhi this February. This was preceded by a long and very largely peaceful agitation against new citizenship laws he passed. Just before state elections in Delhi, there was widespread religious violence. Unlike in Gujarat 2002, this time casualties on both sides were roughly equal. Some BJP leaders can be seen on video making speeches, soon after their audience is burning and attacking.

In the 1st case, central agenceis (not the state police AFAIK) have targeted speakers and organisers of that event - some Dalit and Left politicians and professors. None of the other caste group leadrs have been questioned. In the 2nd case, the Delhi police (direcly under the control of the central govt) has named a variety of Left and Muslim figures - the leader of the CPM, the leader of a students union who has been arrested on political charges before, a bunch of left professors, and some activists including Gandhians. The BJP leaders caught on tape haven't been questioned.

Besides these two, there have also been increasing arrests of journalists for little or no reason by state govts, including a lot of very obviously targeted arrests by the govt of UP (led by one of Modi's probable successors)

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
The people he's targeting include student activists, professors, journalists, and politicians. There are 2 major cases under which they're being targeted.
One is related to a big public meeeting of Dalits in Pune in 2018, after which there was some violence. AFAIK, nobody was killed, some property was damaged, and shops were closed for a day. Other caste groups were involved in the violence too.
The other were the much deadlier riots in Delhi this February. This was preceded by a long and very largely peaceful agitation against new citizenship laws he passed. Just before state elections in Delhi, there was widespread religious violence. Unlike in Gujarat 2002, this time casualties on both sides were roughly equal. Some BJP leaders can be seen on video making speeches, soon after their audience is burning and attacking.

In the 1st case, central agenceis (not the state police AFAIK) have targeted speakers and organisers of that event - some Dalit and Left politicians and professors. None of the other caste group leadrs have been questioned. In the 2nd case, the Delhi police (direcly under the control of the central govt) has named a variety of Left and Muslim figures - the leader of the CPM, the leader of a students union who has been arrested on political charges before, a bunch of left professors, and some activists including Gandhians. The BJP leaders caught on tape haven't been questioned.

Besides these two, there have also been increasing arrests of journalists for little or no reason by state govts, including a lot of very obviously targeted arrests by the govt of UP (led by one of Modi's probable successors)
Thanks! It's a worrying development, seems like a very selective use of the judiciary is getting more normalized now.

iKnowNothing

UP is a weird place. The government or party doesn’t matter. The ground reality is it’s more of a $hit hole than any other part of the country.

And this clown was a SC judge:

Interval

Level
UP is a weird place. The government or party doesn’t matter. The ground reality is it’s more of a $hit hole than any other part of the country.

That poor socio-economic conditions lead to higher crime (though I'm not sure whether it specifically includes rape) is not a preposterous claim. However, the judge should have backed himself with some numbers.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Didn't the judge already say Pakistanis were dressed up as kar sevaks?
Are you implying that are self-proclaimed nationalists are in fact isi agents out to cause division among Indians and weaken the country ?

Well if i was a pakistani dreaming of weakening India i wouldn't hate the current lot!

Yesterday another bjp minister said that congress had demolished the mosque and maligned bjp name.

Suv666

I dont know why they aren't admitting its a rape and punishing the accused swiftly. Surely cordoning off Hathras and holding the family hostage is making matter worse

RedDevil@84

I dont know why they aren't admitting its a rape and punishing the accused swiftly. Surely cordoning off Hathras and holding the family hostage is making matter worse
Maybe because the accused are powerful locally and Yogi's style of finishing off the culprits will backfire.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout

Several folks have said that UP has to be divided into 4 states for any chance of effective administration and policing. That is not going to magically solve the problems but is a must.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Ive heard that one of the accused boys father is a bjp member and has photos with modi and yogi. It was circulating on whatsapp, could be real or fake.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Several folks have said that UP has to be divided into 4 states for any chance of effective administration and policing. That is not going to magically solve the problems but is a must.
Never happening, atleast till the current govt stays. Depending how western up is carved it could end up with 30-40% muslim population. And eastern up is basically like bihar, getting subsidized by western up.

CG1010

That was the logic for creating Uttarakhand and Jharkhand. But it hasn't really worked out in terms of governance improvement.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Thakur Men's Threats On Camera As They Defend Accused in Hathras Horror
Hathras Case: The upper caste men of the village, who have held meetings as the "Rashtriya Savarn (upper caste) Parishad", have accused the woman and her family of falsely blaming the four men who were arrested after her statement.

Hathras/ New Delhi: At the village in Uttar Pradesh's Hathras of a young Dalit woman who died days after a savage assault and alleged gang rape, upper caste men defending the four men arrested for the crime are on camera shouting threats as Bhim Army chief Chandrashekhar Azad visited the victim's family on Sunday. Videos that have surfaced online demonstrate the complete fearlessness and impunity with which the men go around dropping threats in the presence of scores of policemen.

After the Bhim Army leader's visit, the UP police filed a case against Chandrashekhar Azad and 400 others, accusing them of violating a ban on large gatherings in the area. But no action has been taken against some 500 men who gathered in support of the gang rape accused; some among them openly warn Mr Azad in videos that are viral online.

"Meetings are held openly to support the Hathras suspects. The victim's family is at risk," said Mr Azad today, demanding special security for the woman's family. The family has alleged threats and intimidation since the woman's death last Tuesday revived national spotlight on the incident.

The upper caste men of the village, who held meetings of the "Rashtriya Savarn (upper caste) Parishad", have accused the woman and her family of falsely blaming the four men who were arrested after her statement. They are also rooting for a CBI probe, which has been recommended by the state's Yogi Adityanath government.

"Do you not have faith in the CBI?" He (Chandrashekhar) does not trust the CBI, has come here to do politics. Just let us meet him once then we will make sure he does (trust the CBI)," a man shouts in one of the videos, surrounded by policemen who simply watch him.

"Thakurs are born to withstand blows...Come out, your big brothers are here to meet you," the man keeps yelling, apparently to draw out the Bhim Army leader. The police are seen trying to reason with him. One of the men accused of attacking the 20-year-old woman has the same name as her brother. The men alleged that her brother had killed her and the other man had been framed. "Who says she was raped," they said.

The Uttar Pradesh police have disputed the woman's statement that she was gang raped and have cited the report of a forensic lab in Agra as proof. But experts question the report, pointing out that it was based on samples taken 11 days after the crime.

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/tha...hey-defend-accused-in-hathras-horror-2305341?

Hathras gang-rape accused defended at meeting held at ex-BJP MLA’s residence
Heavy police force was deployed in the vicinity of the residence of former BJP MLA Rajvir Singh Pehalvan, located around 8-9 kilometres from the victim’s village.

Scores of people held a meeting Sunday outside the house of a former BJP MLA in Hathras where they defended the accused in the alleged gangrape of a Dalit woman who later died, and demanded registration of an FIR against her family members.

Heavy police force was deployed in the vicinity of the residence of former BJP MLA Rajvir Singh Pehalvan, located around 8-9 kilometres from the victim’s village.

One of the organisers of the meeting and Pehalvan’s son Manveer Singh denied that the gathering comprised members from the upper castes and said they were from “different sections of society”.

“The entire scenario has been created to blame the government. The accused persons are in favour of any type of inquiry. But the victims are changing their stand every now and then. They do not want a narco test or a CBI probe. Now they want other kinds of inquiries,” he claimed.

He said an FIR should be registered by police against the complainants in the case. “Our demand is that a case should be filed against those people who had filed the case in the first instance,” he said.
The 19-year-old Dalit woman was allegedly raped by four upper caste men in Hathras on September 14. She died on September 29 at Delhi’s Safdarjung Hospital where she had been brought for treatment.

“Had they been guilty, they would have run away from their homes. Why would they be present in their homes,” he said.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/indi...s-residence/story-zyQgeoozIAkAiBfprWWZHM.html

Rahul Gandhi Has "Foreign Mentality": BJP MLA Who Linked Rape To Sanskar

Ballia: A BJP MLA in Uttar Pradesh, who said rapes can only be stopped if parents teach 'sanskar' or values to their daughters, has hit back at top Congress leader Rahul Gandhi after the latter slammed him for his controversial remarks on Sunday.

The Congress MP had termed the comments of MLA Surendra Singh a "filthy RSS male chauvinist mentality at work". The BJP leader made the statement amid massive outrage over the alleged gang rape of a 20-year-old woman from Hathras, who died in Delhi last Tuesday.

"Rahul is a person of dual character and foreign mentality. He is totally ignorant about Indian culture," Surendra Singh, the BJP MLA from UP's Ballia, was quoted as saying by news agency PTI on Monday.

"He will understand the definition of nationalism if he takes tuition from nationalists. He could not understand the crux of the country's culture. The dual characters of Rahul and Priyanka (Gandhi Vadra) became obvious during their journey to meet the victim's family in Hathras. While they were laughing during their journey, they shed tears at their homes," Mr Singh said.

Surendra Singh has been known for making controversial comments in the past. Last year, he had said that Nathuram Godse, who assassinated Mahatma Gandhi "was not a terrorist" and he "committed a mistake".

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/rah...ndra-singh-who-linked-rape-to-sanskar-2305302

In fresh FIR, Hathras police claims ‘international plot’ to defame Yogi govt
This comes after Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath cautioned BJP workers of "conspiracies" against his government and asked them to “expose those who want to incite caste and communal riots” in the country and the state.

The Uttar Pradesh Police claimed they have uncovered an “international plot” to instigate riots along caste lines and defame the Yogi Adityanath government over the brutal assault and alleged gangrape of a 19-year-old Dalit woman in Hathras. On Sunday, an FIR was registered against unidentified persons at the Chandpa Police Station in Hathras under several stringent sections of the IPC, including sedition.

The FIR was registered under sections 109 (abetment if the act abetted is committed in consequence and where no express provision is made for its punishment), 120B (criminal conspiracy), 124A (sedition), 153 A (promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion, race, place of birth, residence, language, etc, and doing acts prejudicial to maintenance of harmony) and four of its sub-sections, 153 B (imputations, assertions prejudicial to national-integration), 420 (cheating and dishonestly inducing delivery of property) of the IPC.

This comes after Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath cautioned BJP workers of “conspiracies” against his government and asked them to “expose those who want to incite caste and communal riots” in the country and the state.

“Those who do not like development, they want to incite caste and communal riots in the country and state and want to stop development,” Adityanath said after attending a review meeting for upcoming byelections to seven Assembly constituencies.

During his interaction with party workers on Sunday, Adityanath said that a lot of development work has taken place, especially during the pandemic, which their political rivals “are finding it difficult to digest”.

https://indianexpress.com/article/india/hathras-gangrape-case-fir-yogi-adityanath-6703740/

U.P. police book Bhim Army chief, RLD leader over Hathras visit

A day after Bhim Army chief Chandra Shekhar Azad visited the family of the woman who died after being allegedly assaulted and gang-raped by four men, the Uttar Pradesh police on Monday lodged an FIR against Mr. Azad for violating Section 144 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, which prohibits large gatherings.

An FIR has also been registered against Rashtriya Lok Dal (RLD) vice-president Jayant Chaudhary under Section 188 of the IPC. The police had lathi-charged RLD workers on Sunday after they tried to break a barricade at Boolagarhi village. Around 400 workers of the RLD and the Bhim Army have also been booked.

The leaders visited the family on Sunday and demanded justice and security for the family. After meeting the family, Mr. Azad had demanded an investigation by a retired judge of the Supreme Court in a time-bound manner. He also demanded security for the family, considering dominant caste people were exerting pressure on the family.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/natio...leader-over-hathras-visit/article32771088.ece

AshRK

Is Modi still that popular inside India?
I don't stay in India so may not give you the correct perspective but my family and friends are still there and truth is even die hard Modi supporters are slowly but surely getting tired of him but the issue that still remains is lack of opposition. No one sees Rahul as a credible leader, thanks to media and big thanks to himself too. Even guys like Barka dutt and Sardesai who cannot stand BJP have started to question the ambition of congress. I seriously thought 2019 will be the end of rahul and congress will field a new face who can bring new ideas and be a formidable opposition to Modi and by 2024 he or she may even topple the cult of Modi but one year is already done amd we are still in the same boat. I won't be surprised at this rate Modi wins again by default.

Also, I don't buy this idea that Modi or BJP can never be defeated. Kejriwal and AAP in delhi showed it can be done. You need a proper opposition who can counter Modi and topple him and not just shout "Chowkidar chor hai" and hope he wins because his name ends with Gandhi.

Suv666

I don't stay in India so may not give you the correct perspective but my family and friends are still there and truth is even die hard Modi supporters are slowly but surely getting tired of him but the issue that still remains is lack of opposition. No one sees Rahul as a credible leader, thanks to media and big thanks to himself too. Even guys like Barka dutt and Sardesai who cannot stand BJP have started to question the ambition of congress. I seriously thought 2019 will be the end of rahul and congress will field a new face who can bring new ideas and be a formidable opposition to Modi and by 2024 he or she may even topple the cult of Modi but one year is already done amd we are still in the same boat. I won't be surprised at this rate Modi wins again by default.

Also, I don't buy this idea that Modi or BJP can never be defeated. Kejriwal and AAP in delhi showed it can be done. You need a proper opposition who can counter Modi and topple him and not just shout "Chowkidar chor hai" and hope he wins because his name ends with Gandhi.
Yeah, BJP might lose states but cant see them losing the centre for at least another 5-10 years. The Gandhi family is never letting go of Congress. I guess their strategy is to outlast Modi and eventually when people get tired of Modi, a Gandhi will be back in power. Its an absurd strategy and shows you the disconnect between the Congress hierarchy and the Indian populace.
It'll be interesting to see how the UP election unfolds. This is the most vulnerable Yogi has been during his tenure, maybe SP or BSP can wrestle control. Losing UP will be a massive blow.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Is Modi still that popular inside India?
Yes. These small inconveniences like the farm bills etc will be a non-factor by 2024. Demonitisation was supported (in UP they got 400 seats 3 months after demon), then it was unpopular for a while but despite job loss and despite Rahul bringing it up in the election campaign, it was a non-factor in 2019. No reason every other point of opposition will be diluted the same way.
Also, the Ram Mandir is scheduled to be completed by 2024, which should boost a lot of religioous sentiment perfectly in time for the election. Finally if his trend id downwards like it was for the 2019 election, he can always drop a few bombs on some trees in Pakistan and everybody will come back.

IN terms of seats, he has alienated some in Punjab and Haryana, but UP and Bihar and the rest of that belt continue to be very strong, plus they will make more inroads in Bengal (42 seats!), and perhaps Telangana (~20 seats).

AshRK

Yeah, BJP might lose states but cant see them losing the centre for at least another 5-10 years. The Gandhi family is never letting go of Congress. I guess their strategy is to outlast Modi and eventually when people get tired of Modi, a Gandhi will be back in power. Its an absurd strategy and shows you the disconnect between the Congress hierarchy and the Indian populace.
It'll be interesting to see how the UP election unfolds. This is the most vulnerable Yogi has been during his tenure, maybe SP or BSP can wrestle control. Losing UP will be a massive blow.
Yes UP election will be an interesting one but again my concern is how popular the ole wine in SP and BSP are. Wouldn't be surprised if Yogi manages to win again.

Suv666

Yes UP election will be an interesting one but again my concern is how popular the ole wine in SP and BSP are. Wouldn't be surprised if Yogi manages to win again.
The only way Yogi will lose is if SP and BSP decide to combine forces. Otherwise the Muslims would end up voting for SP, the underprivileged castes for BSP and BJP will triumph.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
The only way Yogi will lose is if SP and BSP decide to combine forces. Otherwise the Muslims would end up voting for SP, the underprivileged castes for BSP and BJP will triumph.
They combined in 2019 and got destroyed. Since then Mayawati has complete receded from frontline politics. Even in Hathras she wasn't visible - Rahul, Priyanka, and Chandrashekhar Azad (whom she hates) were. (Of course Akhilesh also didn't turn up).
In 2019 NDA got 52% and gatbandhan got 39%. Some of that lead will go because Modi is not on the ballot directly this time, but that's a very comfortable margin. Plus there has been progress on the Mandir.