India politics thread

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I read Sachin and Lata Mangeshkar tweet. Calling for amicable solution and no interference from foreign influence is not out of ordinary thing to do. Calling him dog and not worthy of Bharat Ratna is quite low.

I have been saying that and I have voted NOTA in last 2 election. Trust me I don't get paid by BJP, my only benefit is that I want farmers to get their due which we have denied them even after 1991 liberalisation and believe there is an organised attempt to discredit farm bills which will help farmers all over the country. Anything else is a distraction.
I mean some moron probably called them dogs. But I as a massive fan boi who worshipped the man can see through it and you can't? Hard to understand. You seem to be actively avoiding seeing the context them all to refuse to believe the obvious. Just because they have some nice words doesn't mean they aren't orchestrated. Clearly are

AshRK

Never thought Congress could bag Rihanna. Just need to hire Beyonce and Taylor Swift next and they're ready to win the elections.
Anyone but Rahul and they have a strong chance to beat this BJP party. 2 years already gone from the previous election and still there seems to be no change in Congress' approach. FFS field a new face who can challenge Modi. At this rate I worry we might have to have Modi run till 2029.

Viral United

I read Sachin and Lata Mangeshkar tweet. Calling for amicable solution and no interference from foreign influence is not out of ordinary thing to do. Calling him dog and not worthy of Bharat Ratna is quite low.

I have been saying that and I have voted NOTA in last 2 election. Trust me I don't get paid by BJP, my only benefit is that I want farmers to get their due which we have denied them even after 1991 liberalisation and believe there is an organised attempt to discredit farm bills which will help farmers all over the country. Anything else is a distraction.
Funny thing is Greeta tweet something it's okay.
But how the feck Sachin or any other celebrities tweet in support of goverment.
You see someone here call him fool and idiot for that tweet.

amolbhatia50k

Anyone but Rahul and they have a strong chance to beat this BJP party. 2 years already gone from the previous election and still there seems to be no change in Congress' approach. FFS field a new face who can challenge Modi. At this rate I worry we might have to have Modi run till 2029.
Seriously. They desperately need a shake up. But it'll never happen with those power hungry clowns in charge.

amolbhatia50k

Funny thing is Greeta tweet something it's okay.
But how the feck Sachin or any other celebrities tweet in support of goverment.
You see someone here call him fool and idiot for that tweet.
Way to the miss the point. It's not the support of the Government but the puppeteering of them by the Government that's the issue. I mean, it's not a big deal. That's how fascist regimes roll but a bit disappointing all the same.

Suv666

I'm just amazed by this. The way they all waded with BJP fed tweets was both hilarious and sad at the same time.
Its beyond parody now. Hundreds of farmers have died and they can't be bothered, one tweet by a popstar and #IndiaAgainstPropoganda.
Kind of scary though, how much control the BJP has over the the entertainment and Cricket industry.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I mean some moron probably called them dogs. But I as a massive fan boi who worshipped the man can see through it and you can't? Hard to understand. You seem to be actively avoiding seeing the context them all to refuse to believe the obvious. Just because they have some nice words doesn't mean they aren't orchestrated. Clearly are
Reason why I don't want is because it's not the main issue and it really doesn't matter if few people tweeted not liking the foreign influence nor that few foreign celebrity tweeted about it. I

There is no debate whether farm bills are beneficial or not. Isn't that what main issue here? It seems like an ego battle between union leaders and government. With social media taking usual sides.

AshRK

Seriously. They desperately need a shake up. But it'll never happen with those power hungry clowns in charge.
I don't care if anyone is a Modi supporter or BJP supporter but never like the idea of having one leader rule for 15 years. It cannot be good. I know Modi has a cult following and all but I feel Congress under this pappu are one big reason why this is happening and we may have Modi rule for another term.

AAP has shown BJP can be defeated. Rahul will never be the answer and if they have one bit of smartness they will field a new leader right away and take advantage of the pressure on Modi/BJP. I remember similar thing happening in 2011-12-13 with Anna hazare and all fighting against Corruption and BJP made Modi the face and put Advani behind. I doubt BJP would have won with that big margin under Advani. Congress has to do the same. Just bin these Gandhis and bring a new leader who can be the face of the party with the right ideas and I guarantee many will vote for congress.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
@pratyush_utd you guys are talking about sovereignity and independence and foreign hand of rihanna, greta, and khalifa making one-line tweets, and you are posting uncritically what the US, Canada, and EU say about our subsidies during a trade negotiation. Who do you think has actual influence and ability to affect our sovereign policy? Why should we take lessons from bigger subsidisers?

pratyush_utd

I don't care if anyone is a Modi supporter or BJP supporter but never like the idea of having one leader rule for 15 years. It cannot be good. I know Modi has a cult following and all but I feel Congress under this pappu are one big reason why this is happening and we may have Modi rule for another term.

AAP has shown BJP can be defeated. Rahul will never be the answer and if they have one bit of smartness they will field a new leader right away and take advantage of the pressure on Modi/BJP. I remember similar thing happening in 2011-12-13 with Anna hazare and all fighting against Corruption and BJP made Modi the face and put Advani behind. I doubt BJP would have won with that big margin under Advani. Congress has to do the same. Just bin these Gandhis and bring a new leader who can be the face of the party with the right ideas and I guarantee many will vote for congress.
It's not BJP fault that Congress believes Nehru/Gandhi sycophancy is more important than India. After UPA 1, I thought NDA is done and now way they will come back. Putting Government on line for Nuclear deal was quite bold. But Congress did the same after UPA2. It seemed like Manmohan Singh doesn't exist. Narshimha Rao who orchestrated 91 revolution is not even mentioned by Congress.

AAP model cant be repeated in bigger states. There is a limit to freebies that can be given. In Lok Sabha they were wiped out for the same reason.

Not taking election seriously against a party which is 24/7 political party is a receipe for disaster

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
I'm just amazed by this. The way they all waded with BJP fed tweets was both hilarious and sad at the same time.
I read a post recently on the harry potter subreddit which said something like you do everything you can to avoid a terrorist and survive a dictator.

Seems something like that happened here.

pratyush_utd

@pratyush_utd you guys are talking about sovereignity and independence and foreign hand of rihanna, greta, and khalifa making one-line tweets, and you are posting uncritically what the US, Canada, and EU say about our subsidies during a trade negotiation. Who do you think has actual influence and ability to affect our sovereign policy? Why should we take lessons from bigger subsidisers?
I didn't. I think you got the wrong person. I just said if someone believes that, it not necessarily means they are bought. Otherwise same can be said for others who are tweeting against.

I mentioned US,UK and other countries because one gentleman here was quite excited by Rihanna tweet and was hoping other government pick it up. Just showed that it's in their interest to keep our farmer poor so that they can send their agricultural products here. So we should be careful with foreign influence

It's just a distraction and MEA should have stayed away from it. Getting amicable solution is what our focus should be. But considering they didn't accept suspension for 18 months, not sure what is the original goal of the protest. Also doesn't help when you have to negotiate with 40 farm leaders in one go.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I didn't. I think you got the wrong person. I just said if someone believes that, it not necessarily means they are bought. Otherwise same can be said for others who are tweeting against.

It's just a distraction and MEA should have stayed away from it. Getting amicable solution is what our focus should be. But considering they didn't accept suspension for 18 months, not sure what is the original goal of the protest. Also doesn't help when you have to negotiate with 40 farm leaders in one go.
it was repeal of these laws and codification of MSPs, if i remember correctly.

pratyush_utd

it was repeal of these laws and codification of MSPs, if i remember correctly.
But they already achieved a suspension for 18 months.

Codification of MSP is never going to happen. It wasn't even done when it was introduced. There is no law that specify MSP. Also it's weird if Government starts setting price of your day to day commodity. Regulation and providing support to farmers incase they get exploited is the way forward. Gave you example of dairy, it's increase in returns is way higher than MSP returns and it is entirely run by cooperation and Private players.

Also MSP is always going to stay because FCI has to buy food for PDS system. Forcing private buyers to buy on MSP defeats the whole point of free market. Also MSP doesn't cover entire agricultural products. Already mentioned previously, dairy and poultry is doing far better than agricultural products that are under MSP.

This notion that private players are evil and industries are evil is just not correct. Nestle buys milk from 10 lakh small farmers daily and they all get paid properly. Last I checked Nestle wasn't a government organisation.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I mentioned US,UK and other countries because one gentleman here was quite excited by Rihanna tweet and was hoping other government pick it up. Just showed that it's in their interest to keep our farmer poor so that they can send their agricultural products here. So we should be careful with foreign influence
But here's the thing. All these people have voiced their concerns not over the bills (and whether they should be taken back or not) but the human rights violation. They're talking about people not being given Right to protest peacefully in a democracy, journos getting arrested, internet shutdown, people being pelted with stones by "locals", farmers being water cannoned and tear gassed.

You can go on and on about foreign influence and run hashtags and release statements, but the things I mentioned above remains fact, and the Indian state is at fault here and the criticism is valid.

Suv666

Which had feck all do with the farm laws but the human rights violation being committed by the BJP.
Are you so pro-privatization that you're unbothered by the scores of farmers dying, journalists being detained and people being detained?
How many deaths and arrests are you willing to excuse for your precious privatization?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
But they already achieved a suspension for 18 months.

Codification of MSP is never going to happen. It wasn't even done when it was introduced. There is no law that specify MSP. Also it's weird if Government starts setting price of your day to day commodity. Regulation and providing support to farmers incase they get exploited is the way forward. Gave you example of dairy, it's increase in returns is way higher than MSP returns and it is entirely run by cooperation and Private players.

This notion that private players are evil and industries are evil is just not correct. Nestle buys milk from 10 lakh small farmers daily and they all get paid properly. Last I checked Nestle wasn't a government organisation.
MSP is supposed to be a floor.

You have given an example where private procurement gives higher price [note that dairy did not grow ty a large and techinically advanced stage in India before the evil non-private entities like the govt and Amul/milk cooperative boards* worked together.*] But I have shared research showing that suicide rates among farmers are highest for cash crops (no MSP), where the market and farmer interact more directly.

With their advanced technology, and their commitment to capitalism, why do you think western countries subsidise grain and dairy production as much and in such strange ways?
https://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/teachers/lesson_plans/pdfs/unit9_12.pdf

*this is from wiki, i had to read a book on kurien for school, so i remember bits of it.

pratyush_utd

Which had feck all do with the farm laws but the human rights violation being committed by the BJP.
Are you so pro-privatization that you're unbothered by the scores of farmers dying, journalists being detained and people being detained?
How many deaths and arrests are you willing to excuse for your precious privatization?
This is quite outrageous accusations. Have you even bothered to read what I wrote? I spoke about what these laws are. Why I believe it's important. Why I can't understand even after its suspension, union leaders are not calling off protest? Don't want Foreign government to lecture us on government policy. Not sure where you got the idea that I am unbothered about farmers? I beleive it will help farmers because if you don't know, thousands of farmers are committing suicides already. It's the license raj policy that needs to go.

coolredwine

lameredboots
We have been providing world with vaccine and getting recognised everywhere. Suddenly world is awake with Farmer protest after 3 month. You want a conspiracy theory, why don't you check that?
Absolutely weird take. Give us a pass on human right violations because we are supplying vaccines to 25% of the world. But then, what do I know of this govt antics.

amolbhatia50k

Reason why I don't want is because it's not the main issue and it really doesn't matter if few people tweeted not liking the foreign influence nor that few foreign celebrity tweeted about it. I

There is no debate whether farm bills are beneficial or not. Isn't that what main issue here? It seems like an ego battle between union leaders and government. With social media taking usual sides.
It's not the main issue but you gave your opinion on it regardless without seeing what people were actually talking about. Alright then. Why would there be debate on the farm bills given the protests are apparently by anti national terrorists and khalistanis?

pratyush_utd

MSP is supposed to be a floor.

You have given an example where private procurement gives higher price [note that dairy did not grow ty a large and techinically advanced stage in India before the evil non-private entities like the govt and Amul/milk cooperative boards* worked together.*] But I have shared research showing that suicide rates among farmers are highest for cash crops (no MSP), where the market and farmer interact more directly.

With their advanced technology, and their commitment to capitalism, why do you think western countries subsidise grain and dairy production as much and in such strange ways?
https://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/teachers/lesson_plans/pdfs/unit9_12.pdf

*this is from wiki, i had to read a book on kurien for school, so i remember bits of it.
I understand your point of view about cash crops but it doesn't change anything with regards to farm bills. It neither removes or includes any mention of MSP.

It's about breaking monopoly of APMC and removing Essential commodities act. Why is no one bothered about the fact storage of certain commodities is illegal in country after seeing what happens with Onion every year? Contract farming is nothing new. If there are issues with grievance system then it can be rectified.

Government of India is no position to buy entire agricultural products if that's what you are advocating. Let me assure no government is ever going to make MSP as legal right.

amolbhatia50k

Its beyond parody now. Hundreds of farmers have died and they can't be bothered, one tweet by a popstar and #IndiaAgainstPropoganda.
Kind of scary though, how much control the BJP has over the the entertainment and Cricket industry.
You have to laugh at Bollywood. Had filth thrown at them for months on end by the governments biggest spokesperson and now they have to toe the line.

pratyush_utd

It's not the main issue but you gave your opinion on it regardless without seeing what people were actually talking about. Alright then. Why would there be debate on the farm bills given the protests are apparently by anti national terrorists and khalistanis?
Are you asking me? I don't run government my friend. I am just disappointed that reforms in our country is so difficult. Anyway I don't think I can add any further to this conversation. MEA overeacted but I don't agree on name calling on people who don't agree with your opinion. That's what is going on, on both sides. My opinion was to give benefit of doubt. Didn't know it was that controversial

Farmers are not Khalistani. But people who are inciting them and spreading fake propaganda about the bill are not farmer. They are using farmer today, tomorrow some other bill will come and it will be someone else.

RedDevil@84

"No interference in internal matters. That is our policy"

buttttt........................

"Apki baar, Trump sarkar"

Suv666

This is quite outrageous accusations. Have you even bothered to read what I wrote? I spoke about what these laws are. Why I believe it's important. Why I can't understand even after its suspension, union leaders are not calling off protest? Don't want Foreign government to lecture us on government policy. Not sure where you got the idea that I am unbothered about farmers? I beleive it will help farmers because if you don't know, thousands of farmers are committing suicides already. It's the license raj policy that needs to go.

Have you ever actually talked to a farmer? This notion that they are "gawars" who have no idea what is going on is absolute BS. They know the bill inside and out.

So you think the government bulldozed the bill during Covid, alienated a large section of their voter base, instructed their media lapdogs to call farmers separatists are doing so because they are concerned about the well being of farmers? Not to mention a government that has been in cahoots with Ambani and Adani for more than a decade.

Oh they suspended the bill for 18 months then thats that. Lets all wait for the bill to come into effect before protesting about it. It only took the biggest protest in history. I'm sure they'll be back at the negotiating table after 18 months. We all know politicians never lie.

coolredwine

lameredboots
Another funnything about tweets, PR government was fist-shaking and shouting "freedom of expression" just weeks ago when Trump was booted off Twitter.
They were commenting on France and US just months ago and now the official position is that no one should comment on ourselves. Not sure that will play out too well.

RedDevil@84

Someone on the thread was asking about what human rights were violated.

https://www.un.org/en/universal-declaration-human-rights/

Article 3.

Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person.

Article 5.

No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.

Article 7.

All are equal before the law and are entitled without any discrimination to equal protection of the law. All are entitled to equal protection against any discrimination in violation of this Declaration and against any incitement to such discrimination.

Article 9.

No one shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest, detention or exile.

Article 12.

No one shall be subjected to arbitrary interference with his privacy, family, home or correspondence, nor to attacks upon his honour and reputation. Everyone has the right to the protection of the law against such interference or attacks.

Article 13.

(1) Everyone has the right to freedom of movement and residence within the borders of each state.
(2) Everyone has the right to leave any country, including his own, and to return to his country.

Article 19.

Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.

Article 20.

(1) Everyone has the right to freedom of peaceful assembly and association.
(2) No one may be compelled to belong to an association.

coolredwine

lameredboots

Article 3.

Article 5.

No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.

Article 7.

All are equal before the law and are entitled without any discrimination to equal protection of the law. All are entitled to equal protection against any discrimination in violation of this Declaration and against any incitement to such discrimination.

Article 9.

Article 12.

No one shall be subjected to arbitrary interference with his privacy, family, home or correspondence, nor to attacks upon his honour and reputation. Everyone has the right to the protection of the law against such interference or attacks.

Article 13.

(1) Everyone has the right to freedom of movement and residence within the borders of each state.
(2) Everyone has the right to leave any country, including his own, and to return to his country.

Article 19.

Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.

Article 20.

Human Rights are western concept/propaganda

Viral United

Article 3.

Article 5.

Article 7.

Article 9.

Article 12.

Article 13.

Article 19.

Article 20.

Did you really thing half of countries in world fulfill these articles?

Interval

Level
Classic right wing extremist rule book. Create an enemy/fear and use that to stoke nationalist feeling to win support and deviate from real issues.

Apparently Arnab is starting a nationalist committee or some shit. :lol:
This.

Also the Hindu is biased :lol: let's mark the caravan too. Because dedicatedly going after rubbish done by ANY GOVT is bias.

Almost makes me want to buy a second subscription of it.

Interval

Level
But here's the thing. All these people have voiced their concerns not over the bills (and whether they should be taken back or not) but the human rights violation. They're talking about people not being given Right to protest peacefully in a democracy, journos getting arrested, internet shutdown, people being pelted with stones by "locals", farmers being water cannoned and tear gassed.

You can go on and on about foreign influence and run hashtags and release statements, but the things I mentioned above remains fact, and the Indian state is at fault here and the criticism is valid.
AND that they weren't debated. AND the fact that anyone can be viciously targeted to be made enermy by a systematic machinery. I mean a country which says jai Jawan jai kisan can believe farmers are against us is unbelievable

RedDevil@84

This.

Also the Hindu is biased :lol: let's mark the caravan too. Because dedicatedly going after rubbish done by ANY GOVT is bias.

Almost makes me want to buy a second subscription of it.
"The Hindu is biased" is true in a world of whataboutisms only. The accusations are generally "Why didn't they report that story?"

Yes, the opinion columns have a left bias, but the news in itself is very normal. It criticizes the people in power normally, which is why the press is often called the 4th pillar of democracy.