India politics thread

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
From you-know-where

Biggest trap after the farmer's protests

The political fallout of the COVID pandemic makes it amply clear that this is a new trap for the Modi government. The opposition is bound to lay such traps. Politics is the art of doing so. People may say that they are talking about the pandemic or the deaths and not politics, but this is sheer politics. There is no doubt about it.
It also is clear that either the Modi government has invited this trap upon itself or was left with no option but to enter the trap knowingly.

What is the trap?

1. Cry faul over availability and distribution of the vaccines.

It appears as if the central government's plans about vaccines have gone completely haywire. States like Maharashtra, Delhi, Rajasthan and Paschim Bangal are trying to underplay and hide the rising number of active cases behind this mistake of the centre. Even a cursory look at social media gives an impression that they have succeeded in this. At least for the time being. Some newspapers are also seen highlighting the adverse news stories from Gujarat, UP and MP more than concentrating on the near complete breakdown of the system in Maharashtra. The narrative is clear and loud - whatever happens there is due to wrongdoings of the BJP state government and the central government. The failure is combined. But, whatever happens here is the sole responsibility of either the centre or the local self government bodies under BJP rule! A conscious effort is seen in keeping the focus of even the local news towards the BJP aka the central government.

2. Powers bestowed upon states regarding vaccination.

The centre seems to have been caught in the trap even on the demands from the states on more rights related to vaccination. The differential rates announced by the "Serum Institute' has added fuel and the fire is likely to keep burning for next few weeks where the ruling combine in Maharashtrais likely to bake its political bread. The centre should have kept all the procurement rights regarding vaccines with itself. But, non-clarity on the supply front might have pushed the centre to drag its feet out of vaccine procurement and now it appears to have been trapped over the issue. Pawar's personal equations with Poonawala might win a fair deal for Maharashtra. In that case all the praise shall go to Pawar. But, if that doesn't happen the blame shall go to Modi.

3. Ramdeaivir and Oxygen

How politics started over supply and shortage of these and how it is being manipulated is worth looking at. To a large extent the center invited the situation upon itself. Ambiguity over stocks and supply, gaps that might lead to suspicion, failure in effectively communicating its efforts on the front to common people are some of the reasons why the campaign to paint the central government as a villain has gained weight. Inertness of the state governments is more serious, but it has been covered under errors of the centre.

4. Emotive games and the politics

It is common sense that the central government has no role whatsoever in the exponential rise in the number of cases in Maharashtra or Delhi. But, it was all blamed conveniently on the centre. The centre might have been napping while the numbers skyrocketed in these states, but the state governments were dead asleep and hence should have been blamed more. But, systematic efforts are being made to blame it all on the centre.
The most indefensible emotive argument in the whole game is - let go whatever has happened in the past, but now we need to focus on treating the patients. Maharashtra health minister Rajesh Tope's offer to bow before Modi to secure better treatment for patients in Maharashtra or Kejriwal's selective leak of his drama with folded hands during a Web meeting with the PM are all part of this politics. News stories on the line - "Arrogant centre doesn't pay head even to ministers and CMs begging with folded hands" might be the next thing in line. Keeping the supply chain of Remdesivir disturbed might be beneficial to some. That would be the next low level of this politics.

5. Elections and pandemic

The moment Didi's prospects in Bengal elections dwindled, issues like crowds in election rallies and rising cases of COVID infection came up rapidly on the media centrestage. This trap is to demoralize the BJP even after impressive victory in Bengal. I'm sure the social media posts after May 2 would be flooded with "Maut ka Saudagar" tag for Modi and even a far off state like Maharashtra would say that their priority is Oxygen and not the results of Bengal elections. The narrative would have remained same albeit with different wording even if Mamata would have been winning the election.

It is good to say as an idealism that Modi-Shah should have stayed away from the campaign and concentrated on pandemic. However, this idealism is applied only to a selective people at selective time is wrong. Would these people have supported the idea to suspend elections and imposition of president's rule till the end of the pandemic? The questions that need to be asked are - if the Chief Ministers of Maharashtra and Delhi were not busy campaigning at Bengal, why they failed in timely action to stop rising numbers? But, instead of asking such probing questions, Modi baiters would won't shy away from using the Bengal results to their advantage.

This trap is nastier than the one laid during farmers' protests and Modi-Shah seem to have been trapped in it. Indians are emotional fools. Modi-Shah had been successful in making effective emotive appeals to the people. Now, the opposition is using the same tool.

In Maharashtra the pendulum has swiftly swung from "Politics of Rs 100 crore in extortion" to "Politics over dead bodies" in past 20 days. The trap is to make people believe that corrupt politicians are better than the other lot that leaves you to die. It won't be easy to break the trap by coining some new word like "Andolanjeevi".

Bestie07

We couldn't vaccinate our grandad due to his BP being troublesome a month ago or so. Now we are stuck whether to take him to a crowded center and risk it or.keep him at home and just wait it out.
Look at private vaccination centers. My neighbour went to a private center today to get vaccinated, and there was absolutely no one there at that time.

Spoony

The People's President
How has the rate got so out of hand?? Overpopulation and folkgenerally getting on with normal lives?? I hope things improve.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
From you-know-where

Jeez . Frankly I am just sick of all the politicians now . Of course this is more on Modi and his inability to prepare in anyway but what these tragedies make you realise is how little the common man matters to any political party. Total state of anarchy right now

Varun

Staff
How has the rate got so out of hand?? Overpopulation and folkgenerally getting on with normal lives?? I hope things improve.
Population density and the pressure to work because so many depend on daily wages are factors ofcourse but more than that, our absolute refusal to prepare in any way has fecked the country. When your PM declares victory in Jan, can't blame the common folk (who let's be honest are a bit dim across the globe) for going about their lives as if it's over. Then you have the religious gatherings, election rallies and it's no surprise.
Jeez . Frankly I am just sick of all the politicians now . Of course this is more on Modi and his inability to prepare in anyway but what these tragedies make you realise is how little the common man matters to any political party. Total state of anarchy right now
Absolute parasites. PM praising people for turning up in hordes and welcoming people to the Kumbh mela in midst of a pandemic tells you everything about the value they place on an individual's life. Shittiest thing is, the public is so fecking dim, they'll vote these guys to power again

gorky_utd

How has the rate got so out of hand?? Overpopulation and folk generally getting on with normal lives?? I hope things improve.
This along with complete disaster class from the government. But common people must also be blamed. I remember people were still wearing masks back in December last year. However, less and less people started wearing masks going forward. It reached a point where I would look like an alien in a crowded bus for wearing a N95 mask. I remember a one hour bus journey from my home where I counted only 1 person with mask. Add to that, the government did nothing to remind people that a pandemic was going on. I am from bengal where election rallies took place without any protection even 1 week ago.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
India is absolutely fecked if blatant issues can be brushed aside as politicisation.
It's a BJP local whatsapp group, so hopefully they are not representative. But ya, anything can be brushed off.

Ya.

Congress-NCP was in power in Maharashtra for 15 years when I was living there (1999-2014). They are not a good govt- corrupt, slow, insensitive. Scams in medical colleges, canals, dams, agriculture, collecting weekly from police.... Even on "secularism" - they barely prosecuted people for the 1992-93 riots, and they encouraged the MNS to grow and attack North Indians to take away Sena's vote share. Sena has been ruling the BMC literally since before I was born. Useless and corrupt.
Now all 3 are ruling the state, and are living up to their image, though personally Uddhav seems to be an ok person, and they don't seem to be hiding deaths/cases at least.

Modi's response to this second wave has as callous as the worst line from those years: RR Patil after 26/11- " bade shahron mein aise ek adh hadse hote rahte hain" (he resigned after that). Declaring victory, campaigning, allowing and encouraging everything to carry on, talking about protocol with Kejriwal...

MDFC Manager

I'm certain everyone in Delhi and Mumbai is eventually going to get it. We're having a positivity rate of 33%, and we have stopped testing for RT-PCR for the last few days because of the backlog in the results.

With that high a positivity rate + a lot of people not showing proper symptoms, I think we're past the point of no return in the two cities now, unfortunately.
Bangalore is getting buttfecked as well. Huge increase today.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
It's so sad really . You see videos on twitter from various cremation sites and then you read the comments . BJP supporters are blaming kejriwal , other people are blaming BJP . Worst are the BJP supporters who believe that any such video is an attempt to defame India while 100's of bodies are burning in the background. No idea how it got to this

coolredwine

lameredboots
It's all fallen apart. 25-40 yr olds are dying. Really connected people begging for injections on twitter. I'm getting 4 calls a day for either oxygen or Remidesivir and I'm in bloody finance.

The positivity rates of tests are high despite higher reported.cases meaning god knows.how many more are walking around infecting others. And feck knows if they open vaccination centers for 18+ without requisite no's secured.whatll happen at the centers.

I know that this is a phase and it shall pass. But it's sad knowing that in 6 months we won't remember or care and that's just how it will be
Law and order, like we are seeing with oxygen cylinders/tankers.

MDFC Manager

Well not taking anything away from NZ pm but managing 5.2 million population in a developed nation is an easier task than 1.3 billion in a country like India.
Completely agreed, which is why dear leader needs to be booted ASAP.

Send him back to Gujarat which is his capability ceiling.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I wonder how the IT cell will spin this for the bhakts and how easily they’ll lap it up!
I know nothing about Indian politics, but I know about caring for dying people. To end your life in that room, lying on a metal trolley or even the floor, with all that chaos around you - it's absolutely appalling. The wealthy countries need to mobilise to help India, I don't know how it could be achieved but I find those scenes so distressing to watch.

I'm so sorry to anyone here who's being directly affected by this. It's shameful that the health systems weren't bolstered during last year's short respite from the worst of it. Everyone knew what was going to happen, especially the politicians who care more about their careers than the fate of tens of millions of people. The USA would be in a terrible position if Biden hadn't been elected, Brazil is another example of it.

MDFC Manager

There's an entire army of volunteers slogging away day and night trying to source oxygen cylinders, meds, beds, ICU and ventilators for people. They're putting up verified resources and links and contacts for the rest of us plebs. At the very least, with their efforts people have hope and a direction to get assistance for their loved ones. At least in the major cities, covid relief is almost entirely crowd sourced.

And now there's a couple of reports saying these social media efforts are being shut down. I really hope this isn't true :houllier:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
There's an entire army of volunteers slogging away day and night trying to source oxygen cylinders, meds, beds, ICU and ventilators for people. They're putting up verified resources and links and contacts for the rest of us plebs. At the very least, with their efforts people have hope and a direction to get assistance for their loved ones. At least in the major cities, covid relief is almost entirely crowd sourced.

And now there's a couple of reports saying these social media efforts are being shut down. I really hope this isn't true :houllier:

worst govt in the world

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I wonder how the IT cell will spin this for the bhakts and how easily they’ll lap it up!
International conspiracy hatched by muslims, christians, communists, leftists, liberals and anti-national forces to defame and tarnish the image of India and the bjp govt.

Edit: Forgot sikhs!

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC

iKnowNothing

This could be something the families themselves wanted. If this was something that the guy forced on the patient, then he should be jailed. Of course this being India, nothing will come off this.

On another note, it’s so appalling to see people still vote for the BJP despite their $hit show with handling Covid etc. I was hoping Bengal wouldn’t fall for the BJP but the hope is dwindling.

Suv666

The Modi government does not give a feck about its citizens.

WPMUFC

For those in India / following closely, any signs of uprisings and attacks? I don't know how much longer your country can take being essentially consumed entirely by the virus without some form of armed rebellion?

Suv666

This along with complete disaster class from the government. But common people must also be blamed. I remember people were still wearing masks back in December last year. However, less and less people started wearing masks going forward. It reached a point where I would look like an alien in a crowded bus for wearing a N95 mask. I remember a one hour bus journey from my home where I counted only 1 person with mask. Add to that, the government did nothing to remind people that a pandemic was going on. I am from bengal where election rallies took place without any protection even 1 week ago.
When the Health Minister of the country announces that we are in the endgame and the Prime Minister claims India has defeated Corona, of course people will get complacent. Forget warning people, they encouraged citizens to forget about it.

Here in UP fecking schools started, my 6 year old cousin was attending classes 3 days a week before they shut it down end of March. I'm pretty sure schools played a huge role in the spike and there was absolutely no need to allow kids in all grades to attend classes.

Suv666

For those in India / following closely, any signs of uprisings and attacks? I don't know how much longer your country can take being essentially consumed entirely by the virus without some form of armed rebellion?
No that is never going to happen no matter how much the virus ravages the country.

MDFC Manager

A lot of the issues and horrible scenes you're seeing are mainly from some of the major cities. Rebellion/anarchy is unlikely before the situation gets much worse (spreading into the rural areas etc).

MDFC Manager

Reviving a joke from last year, someone ask the government if we are having community transmission yet or not?

Interval

Level
Naah. It doesn't work that way here. Indians aren't confrontational in nature and usually like their democracy. Bar ULFA, Khalsa movement and some Maoist insurgencies we have never really had an issue with internal armed rebellions in over 70 yrs. Obviously I'm leaving Kashmir out if this because it's a different situation.