India politics thread

Foxbatt

The people have willingly put this govt in power, and the majority are comfortable with the governance, if not happy and content. So yes, by definition India is a democracy.
I thought in democracies you have freedom of speech?

milemuncher777

formerly kid777

These cowards can't even own their act. Using Sikh names to create animosity between two minorities.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Why has only the male accused been named? I don't think there is any law in India prohibiting publication of women accused for a crime.

RedDevil@84

In general. I think when there is no fear of repercussion, then many humans tend to turn quickly into filth. I remember reading about an experiment where people were allowed to do anything on some woman, without repercussions. And quickly normal people turned into monsters.
Twitter is an almost anonymous forum and on top of it the probability of police bothering to track you down for a comment and punish you is very less. Even if you have no political backing.

Add political establishment actively encouraging hate and violence, this is nothing. People will actively conduct genocides quite happily.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
r/bakchodi had similar stuff back in 2018ish. found it unbearable to spend more than 10 minutes there.

Eleven-Eighteen

I thought in democracies you have freedom of speech?
In 'liberal' democracies you do. Liberalism and Democratization ran in parallel post WWII but that ended around the time of the GFC. We have more democracies now but most are chest-thumping, nationalist, rule of majority at the expense of minority kind of democracies. Sadly India is a shining beacon of that

Zlatattack

When Twitter is trending about Mata, but not the one you thought...

Do you think this could also be tekfog?

RedDevil@84

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/bul...ay-sources-2694238#pfrom=home-ndtv_topstories

Neeraj Bishnoi - the main accused behind the 'Bulli Bai' app used by right-wing extremists to 'auction' Muslim women - showed no remorse for his actions during police interrogation, sources said Friday.

Instead, he claimed to have done what he thought was "right", sources told NDTV.

3 years back, this guys used to be on Quora, talking RW trash and promoting pseudo science and talking about women in a crass way. He has then upgraded himself to some actual crimes from online hate.
Ravish Kumar had called this years back, saying if you support hate and propagate hate everywhere, then your children will be the victims of it.

RedDevil@84

The year was 1967, Indira Gandhi had gone to Orissa for a rally. Orissa used to be a stronghold of the Swatantra Party. As soon as Indira Gandhi started speaking in an election meeting, the crowd present there started pelting stones. The local Congressmen asked her to stop the speech immediately, but Indira Gandhi did not listen to anyone and continued to speak. She faced the irate crowd and said, "Will you build the country like this? Will you vote for such people?" Then suddenly a stone came and hit her nose. Her nose started bleeding. Indira Gandhi wiped the blood flowing from her nose. Covered her nose with a handkerchief and continued giving her speech. After the incident, she left for Kolkata for the next public meeting. In Kolkata, she gave a speech with a bandage on her nose. Later it was found that her nose bone was broken. The nose had to be plastered. She also had nose surgery. For several days, Indira Gandhi campaigned across the country with plaster on her face

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Indian politics has become a children playground. Embarrassing the country.

Suv666

So Yogi was protecting a hinduphobic?
#YogiAgainstHindus #IsYogiAntiNational

RedTiger

Half mast
The far right Indian polity thinks it's just freedom of speech, the normal rightwing think it's a stupid and unfortunate thing to say, the normal centre sees it as the radio Rwanda speech that it is.

Reminds me of "will someone rid me of this meddlesome Priest".

India's push since 2013 to develop an overarching hindutva indenty is coming home to roost with the fracturing of the national identity. The only way for a nation to exist is to make everyone feel as though they belong.

Shame

DM07

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Vishwagurupappu
The campaign to paint Rahul Gandhi as a pappu and Modi as some sort of a genius has been one of the biggest tricks BJP has pulled. I have hardly seen Modi speak sense and he has made 10 times worse blunders while speaking compared to Rahul Gandhi. Modi is the biggest moron to be an Indian PM by far just based on what he speaks and what he knows about, completely keeping aside his blunderous governance of the past 8 years.