India politics thread

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
860k people voted for that person.
They voted for Modi. Do I have to remind you that BJP lost the Bhopal seat to congress just 6 months ago. Sadhvi got the seat 10 days after the elections had already started, she had no influence on the outcome.

coolredwine

lameredboots
Honest question, why do you hate Modi government so much?
In 2014, they promised they are gonna chase corrupt guys, did nothing.
In 2014, they promised to end corruption. They ended up institutionalizing it.
Far right elements have been standardized. BJP's generic history starting from Advani, Joshi to Modi, Shah and now we are seeing their future.
Demonetisation which was run under the garb of "eradicating" black money but was just an excuse of winning UP.
The "anti-national" propaganda which they have drummed up over the past few years.
Constant suppression of anything that is against them.
Constant drumming up of agenda using time travelling machine instead of talking about the present.
Then you have their tidbits of forcing down aadhar, etc. and bleating about their success.
His followers, who are ready to defend each and everything. PM only needs to say how a cow shits gold and see them go.

Member 60376

Btw, also analyse issues raised and type of speeches given by Bjp leaders including Amit shah and modi in West Bengal and orrisa and contrast them you'll get answer. Or any other part...

That's always how bjp has grown in new areas from 2 seats. They tried their luck with sabarimala and other things in Kerala too.
What answer? Do you know what is happening in WB? Political violence and polarisation yes but started by the TMC and the BJP is paying back in the same way

AshRK

In 2014, they promised they are gonna chase corrupt guys, did nothing.
In 2014, they promised to end corruption. They ended up institutionalizing it.
Far right elements have been standardized. BJP's generic history starting from Advani, Joshi to Modi, Shah and now we are seeing their future.
Demonetisation which was run under the garb of "eradicating" black money but was just an excuse of winning UP.
The "anti-national" propaganda which they have drummed up over the past few years.
Constant suppression of anything that is against them.
Constant drumming up of agenda using time travelling machine instead of talking about the present.
Then you have their tidbits of forcing down aadhar, etc. and bleating about their success.
His followers, who are ready to defend each and everything. PM only needs to say how a cow shits gold and see them go.
I get Modi has not been perfect but even keeping his flaws in mind what made you think people will vote for a gandhi led congress. The same party who brought all the corruption in their tenure. 2009-14 was a mess for India and corruption was left, right and center. DO you seriously think people would allow those power hungry corrupt politicians to come back and run the country.

coolredwine

lameredboots
I get Modi has not been perfect but even keeping his flaws in mind what made you think people will vote for a gandhi led congress. The same party who brought all the corruption in their tenure. 2009-14 was a mess for India and corruption was left, right and center. DO you seriously think people would allow those power hungry corrupt politicians to come back and run the country.
Well, they have voted for another set of guys vying for exactly the same thing - power. This time, with an extra dose of nationalism - using 1947 as an ammunition. Also, for all the corruption accusations, this majority govt/CBI provided 0 evidence in the 2G case.

I'm not even saying that Congress is a viable option - that's why they have been irrelevant twice now. But in the name of the PM, we now have a terror accused in the parliament with the PM defending the candidature.

It's only this consolidation which is a worry. Today, we have only had a Money bill which was cleared after hiding it from the public. Tomorrow, it could be far worse.

Skills

Snitch
What does this mean for the Congress party going forward? Surely, they need to start moving away from the Gandhi/Nehru clan if they're going to come back? Or is the entire party too much of a family club for that to ever happen?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
What does this mean for the Congress party going forward? Surely, they need to start moving away from the Gandhi/Nehru clan if they're going to come back? Or is the entire party too much of a family club for that to ever happen?
Now that he lost, he has to offer resignation. But I don't really see a path forward from there, whether they accept or reject it.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Nothing, people will get tired of Modi and they'll be back next term in some sort of alliance. Congress has state governments in Rajasthan, MP and Karnataka, so it isn't as if they're a total non entity right now. Long term its unlikely BJP get a leader of Modi's charisma again so the honours will be evenly split between the BJP and Congress backed alliances.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
  • I agree that the Congress was never going to come back to power. Their reputation is completely shattered and they need someone different at the helm.
  • At the same time, I'm not for a second going to pretend the BJP is any different when it comes to being power hungry and corrupt. A few glaring and noteworthy cases aside, long term, they're the same type of party. On the ground level, they are just as corrupt. They've had major scandals in the past too. Who knows, they'll probably have another one soon that the media can blow up (if they stop serving for a second).
  • As for the moral aspect, I have many more problems with the BJP. They are backed by the RSS, who are their ideological ecocentre, an extreme right wing organisation that has, sadly, a major influence on the way our country is run and shaped. And that is extremely scary as A) I believe religion has no business to be intertwined with the state considering, with all due respect, it's a load of bafoonery that merely serves to create more bafoonery and B) Extremist right wing religion, in addition to the usual bafoonery, is forceful and dictatorial in nature.
  • The RSS' dream is that of a Hindu Raj and that is something, ideologically speaking, that I can never identify with. It's pathetic that we have to resort to voting for these fanatics really.
  • Then there's the whole imposed nationalism. Bharat Mata ki Jai. Love Jihad. Vande Mataram. How about go feck yourself and your nationalism?
  • Then there's the fascist tendancies. You say others are power hungry but Modi is clearly a man completely in love with himself and displays all the facets of a fascist. The refusal to take questions or be questioned, the laughably pathetic interviews. The way he's got the media and corporates in his pocket praising him silly and shoving money down his throat. The constant lying and bigging oneself up. It's all there.
  • Then there's the actual economy and development. Which they've done sod all about. Great PR - they package things superbly. But the content and delivery was nothing of note.
  • Finally I suppose it's the ignorance of the above. The BJP/RSS combo is so good at marketing that most people and particularly the majority are blissfully ignorant about the above. IMO you have to be critical of your leaders and politicians, especially those in power. But this worship of not a politician who isn't a freedom fighter or the father of the nation, but a PM requiring scrutiny and to be pulled up when needed, is laughable.

Having said the above, I have a hard time having a real issue with the people choosing the BJP because the opposition in this country barely exist. So I'm not sure what is sadder, the BJP/RSS duo running this country into the moral ground, or the fact that we don't have proper elections with a proper battle of ideas and wits from two sides, and instead it's a one horse race with every state becoming a Hindu-muslim/minority nonsensical debate, and no real opposition.

One thing someone said recently that Congress needs an Amit Shah. I don't know about Congress. I'd personally like to see a new force emerge instead with new ideas. But the country would benefit from another ideologically opposite Amit Shah, I suppose.

Last edited:

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Very good post @amolbhatia50k.

I was in India for a few weeks during electioneering. Some of the comments from politicians were so disturbing it would get you in serious trouble with the law here in the UK. Modi and his sidekicks have empowered bigots.

ash_86

• I agree that Congress was never going to come back to power. Their reputation is completely shattered and they need someone different at the helm.
  • At the same time, I'm not for a second going to pretend the BJP is any difference when it comes to being power hungry and corrupt. A few glaring and noteworthy cases aside, long term, they're the same type of party. On the ground level they are just as corrupt. They've had major scandals in the past too. Who know, they'll probably have another one soon the media can blow up.
  • As for the moral aspect, I have many more problems with the BJP. They are backed by the RSS, who are their ideological ecocentre, an extreme right wing organisation that has sadly a major influence on the way our country is run and shaped. And that is extremely scary as A) I believe religion has no business to be intertwined with the state considering, with all due response, it's a load of bafoonery that merely serves to create more bafoonery and B) Extremist right wing religion, in addition to the usual bafoonery, is forceful and dictatorial in nature.
  • The RSS' dream is a Hindu Raj and that is something ideologically I can never identify with. It's pathetic that we have to resort to voting for these fanatics really.
  • Then there's the whole imposed nationalism. Bharat Mata ki Jai. Love Jihad. Vande Mataram. How about go feck yourself and your nationalism?
  • Then there's the racism. You say others are powe hungry but Modi is clearly a man completely in love with himself and displays all the facets of a fascist. The refusal to take questions or be questioned, the laughably pathetic interviews. The way he's got the media and corporates in his pocket praising him silly and shoving money down his throat. The constant lying and bigging oneself up. It's all there.
  • Then there's the actual economy and development. Which they've done sod all about. Great PR - they package things superbly. But the content and delivery was nothing of note.
  • Finally I suppose it's the ignorance of the above. The BJP/RSS combo is so good at marketing that most people and particularly the majority are blissfully ignorant about the above. IMO you have to be critical of your leaders and politicians, especially those in power. But this worship of not a politician who isn't a freedom fighter or the father of the nation, but a PM requiring scrutiny and to be pulled up when needed, is laughable.
Having said the above, I have a hard time having a real issue with the people choosing the BJP because the opposition in this country barely exist. So I'm not sure what is sadder, the BJP/RSS duo running this country into the moral ground, or the fact that we don't have proper elections with a proper battle of ideas and wits from two sides, and instead it's a one horse race with every state becoming a Hindu-muslim/minority nonsensical debate, and no real opposition.

One thing someone said recently that Congress needs an Amit Shah. I don't know about Congress. I'd personally like to see a new force emerge instead with new ideas. But the country would benefit from another ideologically opposite Amit Shah, I suppose.
Brilliantly summed up!!

FromTheBench

They voted for Modi. Do I have to remind you that BJP lost the Bhopal seat to congress just 6 months ago. Sadhvi got the seat 10 days after the elections had already started, she had no influence on the outcome.
But she should have had a influence negatively and didnt.

That's the point.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Rahul wants to quit. The working committee rejects it :lol:

milemuncher777

formerly kid777
  • I agree that Congress was never going to come back to power. Their reputation is completely shattered and they need someone different at the helm.
  • At the same time, I'm not for a second going to pretend the BJP is any difference when it comes to being power hungry and corrupt. A few glaring and noteworthy cases aside, long term, they're the same type of party. On the ground level they are just as corrupt. They've had major scandals in the past too. Who know, they'll probably have another one soon the media can blow up.
  • As for the moral aspect, I have many more problems with the BJP. They are backed by the RSS, who are their ideological ecocentre, an extreme right wing organisation that has sadly a major influence on the way our country is run and shaped. And that is extremely scary as A) I believe religion has no business to be intertwined with the state considering, with all due response, it's a load of bafoonery that merely serves to create more bafoonery and B) Extremist right wing religion, in addition to the usual bafoonery, is forceful and dictatorial in nature.
  • The RSS' dream is a Hindu Raj and that is something ideologically I can never identify with. It's pathetic that we have to resort to voting for these fanatics really.
  • Then there's the racism. You say others are powe hungry but Modi is clearly a man completely in love with himself and displays all the facets of a fascist. The refusal to take questions or be questioned, the laughably pathetic interviews. The way he's got the media and corporates in his pocket praising him silly and shoving money down his throat. The constant lying and bigging oneself up. It's all there.

Superb post

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...xOMf1Xo3-B_yb_51UFTEgEAl4Wx0lyz4LpnA&from=mdr
If you think the people of the 'other community' are a bunch of saints then I pity your foolishness. On another note its funny when the bloody english media openly call hindus terrorists but are scared of naming the 'other community'

New Indian Express:
The perverse desire of Islamist terror mullahs to conquer and convert the world is actualised by young people who blow themselves up for their God, killing innocents.

Times of India:
The NIA investigators looking into the Shamli (UP)-based Sikh radical terror module that was plotting to kill SAD patriarch Parkash Singh Badal and his son Sukhbir Badal, president of the party, have dug out their links with Islamic terrorists trying to radicalise Sikh youths settled in western UP.

Indian Express:
Why legal face of Muslim terror accused can’t face verdict day

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
New Indian Express:
The perverse desire of Islamist terror mullahs to conquer and convert the world is actualised by young people who blow themselves up for their God, killing innocents.

Times of India:
The NIA investigators looking into the Shamli (UP)-based Sikh radical terror module that was plotting to kill SAD patriarch Parkash Singh Badal and his son Sukhbir Badal, president of the party, have dug out their links with Islamic terrorists trying to radicalise Sikh youths settled in western UP.

Indian Express:
Again your bringing in facts :mad:

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
New Indian Express:

Times of India:

Indian Express:
:D

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Even a known Modi-hater like Shekhar Gupta admitting that the supposed liberal media do nothing but spread fake news sitting in their ivory tower. No wonder people don't buy their bullshit anymore.

“Now I have to say this very honestly, that we journalists and commentariats, chose not to see it. And even when we see it increasingly, we compulsively tried to deny it."

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Shekhar Gupta was only a modi hater when modi was not in power. I wouldn't be surprised if he has mocked rahul twice as much as modi in the previous five years.