India politics thread

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Because the PM Relief Fund currently has a balance of 3800Cr and the shameless PM is still begging for more money after creating an avoidable crisis.
So you're saying that he created this crisis? Lets hear your consipiracy theory then, Modi imported the virus from China and let it lose in India to stop the CAA protests did he?
And 3800cr is not even 1/10th of what will be needed for tiding over this crisis, I'm glad he's doing whatever is needed to get the funds in place. This is just the beginning, its going to be a long hard road till things settle down

coolredwine

lameredboots
So you're saying that he created this crisis? Lets hear your consipiracy theory then, Modi imported the virus from China and let it lose in India to stop the CAA protests did he?
And 3800cr is not even 1/10th of what will be needed for tiding over this crisis, I'm glad he's doing whatever is needed to get the funds in place. This is just the beginning, its going to be a long hard road till things settle down
:lol:
Modi announced the lockdown with such an awesome plan that he created a humanitarian crisis on top of a public health crisis. What a masterstroke!

How much funds are required? Use the 20kCr he has earmarked for renovation then. Why waste money on statues and temples when Indian public hospitals are in such shambles, why even create a new fund to market himself when another fund for exactly the same thing already exists. What a masterstroke!

AshRK

Modi announced the lockdown with such an awesome plan that he created a humanitarian crisis on top of a public health crisis. What a masterstroke!

How much funds are required? Use the 20kCr he has earmarked for renovation then. Why waste money on statues and temples when Indian public hospitals are in such shambles, why even create a new fund to market himself when another fund for exactly the same thing already exists. What a masterstroke!
I will give you one thing, you are funny. Good to make people laugh in such a time.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Should I even bother donating to the PM relief fund? Is there any transparency in how the money is going to be utilised? If not, are there any other NGOs that I can donate to? I want to donate but don't want to be a sheep.
Look for needy and desperate families around where you are in India and directly donate. If you're living abroad send donations to a family member you trust and ask them to donate directly to the needy. This way no money gets used for admin purposes and you know the full donation is going to the rightful.

AshRK

No I love calling out people who fall for fake news, like you. ;)
Like I said you are a funny guy. As the famous saying in hindi goes "ulta chor kotwal ko dante" :lol: .

Anyways you keep up your work here. I will take off. Whenever I want a laugh I will come to this thread and read your posts.

coolredwine

lameredboots
Like I said you are a funny guy. As the famous saying in hindi goes "ulta chor kotwal ko dante" :lol: .

Anyways you keep up your work here. I will take off. Whenever I want a laugh I will come to this thread and read your posts.
Oh you want me to post the conversation here, when you fell for fake news and then argued a made up story in your head with 0 evidence? Would be funny for everyone else to see it. Or would you yourself tell us how many people from Shaheen Bagh have tested positive for covid19?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
If the lockdown will actually be lifted in 3 weeks, it means it was a pointless exercise in making migrant labourers suffer. What should the government have done? Firstly for a poor country, sustaining a lockdown over a longer time may not be feasible. But if it was,

1. Instead of people going home after getting fired from their jobs, Modi personally on TV saying that no rent is due and people should stay where they are living now would have made a difference to both landlords and workers. Municipalities could have also looked at unoccupied building to house people.
2. Instead of making an appeal to landlords and factory owners, Modi could have made a deal of x% of salary or promise of re-hiring.
3. Measures to provide food should have been said first instead of announcing a lockdown and nothing else, which implies that poor people will simply starve. For food, we have millions of tons of grains in reserve for a crisis, and this is a crisis, we should start distributing it.
4. Obviously our police is what they are, they only know one thing. I don't know who can stop them from terrorising helpless people, but CMs and DMs should at least have tried.
5. Random testing to at least figure out in which regions the virus is more.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
If the lockdown will actually be lifted in 3 weeks, it means it was a pointless exercise in making migrant labourers suffer. What should the government have done? Firstly for a poor country, sustaining a lockdown over a longer time may not be feasible. But if it was,

1. Instead of people going home after getting fired from their jobs, Modi personally on TV saying that no rent is due and people should stay where they are living now would have made a difference to both landlords and workers. Municipalities could have also looked at unoccupied building to house people.
2. Instead of making an appeal to landlords and factory owners, Modi could have made a deal of x% of salary or promise of re-hiring.
3. Measures to provide food should have been said first instead of announcing a lockdown and nothing else, which implies that poor people will simply starve. For food, we have millions of tons of grains in reserve for a crisis, and this is a crisis, we should start distributing it.
4. Obviously our police is what they are, they only know one thing. I don't know who can stop them from terrorising helpless people, but CMs and DMs should at least have tried.
5. Random testing to at least figure out in which regions the virus is more.
To be fair every single expert on interviews or articles was shouting for an immediate lockdown (along with enhanced testing coverage). Even a staggered one would have been criticised as Govt dragging their feet by many. That is not to say the execution has not been terrible. They needed to set up camps for migrant workers/daily workers with Govt sponsored food. Not suspend all travel at once, even if you keep two or three buses a day along with 1-2 trains it is better than the situation that enfolded.
What we saw after lockdown as a stark reminder of two very different societies living in India now, a much more starker version of economic and social inequality seen in West. The lock down appropriate for middle and upper class is never going to work for "labour" class in India and vice versa. So in urban context it is an extremely complicated task for Indian state to execute something like this.
On a different note, the economy is going to take an all might hit due to this. Even the middle class is soon going to see the like of unemployment not seen in some time. I was talking to a friend who is head of a hotel chain in India and he said all their cash flows have completely dried out and they are actually generating some revenue by offering the hotels as a quarantine facility to Govts. Moreover they have already forecasted that even after the pandemic is brought under control, almost no one or very few would travel for a period of 12 months. So it is not just a question of a monetary hit of couple of months for such industries but a elongated period which will lead to losses in jobs.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal

So he should have sat and planned for two weeks should he? Or he should maybe have denied the need for lockdown altogether, like Trump did :lol: The only thing he could've done is announce a lockdown early on in the spread, which he did. In fact as it turns out, it wasn't early enough because some of your Tablighi Jamaat brothers seem to have taken it upon themselves to spread the virus in India. But I'm sure you'll somehow manage to read Modis hand in that conference as well.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
To be fair every single expert on interviews or articles was shouting for an immediate lockdown (along with enhanced testing coverage). Even a staggered one would have been criticised as Govt dragging their feet by many. That is not to say the execution has not been terrible. They needed to set up camps for migrant workers/daily workers with Govt sponsored food. Not suspend all travel at once, even if you keep two or three buses a day along with 1-2 trains it is better than the situation that enfolded.
What we saw after lockdown as a stark reminder of two very different societies living in India now, a much more starker version of economic and social inequality seen in West. The lock down appropriate for middle and upper class is never going to work for "labour" class in India and vice versa. So in urban context it is an extremely complicated task for Indian state to execute something like this.
On a different note, the economy is going to take an all might hit due to this. Even the middle class is soon going to see the like of unemployment not seen in some time. I was talking to a friend who is head of a hotel chain in India and he said all their cash flows have completely dried out and they are actually generating some revenue by offering the hotels as a quarantine facility to Govts. Moreover they have already forecasted that even after the pandemic is brought under control, almost no one or very few would travel for a period of 12 months. So it is not just a question of a monetary hit of couple of months for such industries but a elongated period which will lead to losses in jobs.
Agree, this is a bad situation, and the authorities are doing the best they can. We should now try and help them, instead of using this crisis for scoring political points. Hope the summer heat kills the virus off.

coolredwine

lameredboots
So he should have sat and planned for two weeks should he? Or he should maybe have denied the need for lockdown altogether, like Trump did :lol: The only thing he could've done is announce a lockdown early on in the spread, which he did.
Well, he had a 30+ day head start, after learning from other countries. Yet the priorities were: Pandering to Trump, Delhi Pogrom, MP govt, utensil banging competition. And then the 8PM minister decided to give a notice of 4h before the lockdown without any plan. Versatile genius. :lol:

In fact as it turns out, it wasn't early enough because some of your Tablighi Jamaat brothers seem to have taken it upon themselves to spread the virus in India. But I'm sure you'll somehow manage to read Modis hand in that conference as well.
When did that 'conference' happen again? Probably they followed the Health Ministry's comment from here: Coronavirus not health emergency, total 81 cases in India: Health Ministry :lol:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Agree, this is a bad situation, and the authorities are doing the best they can.
How can you possibly say that? People are dying of the response to the crisis. Literally anything they do is therefore "the best they can", it's like babies in a nursery, can't criticise them if they puke everywhere!

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
:lol: :lol:
How childish, leave alone illiterate!!
This illiteracy is going to be the death of India. And now the authorities are scampering everywhere trying to trace the schmucks. Already 10 dead from the attendees and God knows how many infected. But no, lets just blame Modi.
Well, he had a 30+ day head start, after learning from other countries. Yet the priorities were: Pandering to Trump, Delhi Pogrom, MP govt, utensil banging competition. And then the 8PM minister decided to give a notice of 4h before the lockdown without any plan. Versatile genius. :lol:

When did that 'conference' happen again? Probably they followed the Health Ministry's comment from here: Coronavirus not health emergency, total 81 cases in India: Health Ministry :lol:
Yeah, they're reading business standard articles and not following the Delhi governments advisory to not hold meetings :lol: I mean, there are already 10 dead from the attendees. So I'm sure you're happy that they're sticking it to the man. And have another :lol: for arguing for postponing the lockdown. You deserve Rahul Gandhi.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
People should read the demonitisation thread again for an action replay of how this is going to look.

coolredwine

lameredboots
Yeah, they're reading business standard articles and not following the Delhi governments advisory to not hold meetings :lol: I mean, there are already 10 dead from the attendees. So I'm sure you're happy that they're sticking it to the man. And have another :lol: for arguing for postponing the lockdown. You deserve Rahul Gandhi.
Literally no one:

"ThatsGreat": have another green smiley for arguing for the postponing the lockdown.

Also, Rahul Gandhi has been shouting about this from the rooftops while 8PM minister was eating litti-chokha and pandering to Trump back then. I guess the death of this country will be due to the versatile genius (and his cult of followers). Claims to be a poor tea seller, doesn't know daily wagers live.

AshRK

Very good post. I think the government made a mistake by not making enough arrangements before announcing the lockdown. Like you said they should have set up some camps for the labourers.

But then again anything that would have done would not have been enough because of the population and the idiots roaming everywhere.

coolredwine

lameredboots
People should read the demonitisation thread again for an action replay of how this is going to look.
ThatsGreat will claim it as a success. Problem solved. Especially when the govt is keen on blocking every source of information instead of increasing the capacity for testing now.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
How can you possibly say that? People are dying of the response to the crisis. Literally anything they do is therefore "the best they can", it's like babies in a nursery, can't criticise them if they puke everywhere!
Don't make vague points, should the lockdown have been declared, or should we have sat and planned for another couple of weeks. And do you or don't you believe that postponing the lockdown would've lead to spiralling of this disaster. Not that we can take a call about that right now, the cases we're seeing are all from pre lockdown time. So, lets wait and see if its been effective instead of passing judgement either way. My position from the beginning, even before the virus made its presence in India is that its going to take draconian measures to get it in control and now that its come here as we all knew it would my full support is behind the current establisment.

RedDevil@84

This illiteracy is going to be the death of India. And now the authorities are scampering everywhere trying to trace the schmucks. Already 10 dead from the attendees and God knows how many infected. But no, lets just blame Modi.
Ok let's not blame Modi, but call caf posters as their brothers and blame them instead.
Any critic has to be a sympathiser of "those" people or Ra Ga fans. The obsessive compulsion to categorize people is hilarious.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
ThatsGreat will claim it as a success. Problem solved. Especially when the govt is keen on blocking every source of information instead of increasing the capacity for testing now.
And you're going to say that the government failed miserably no matter what they do, don't fool yourself(or anyone else) Mandatory :lol: