India politics thread

RedDevil@84

More than the Bihar elections, BJP needs to be happy about their bypoll results. That was quite an achievement.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
While that's true, congress probably cost them double that amount.
Congress would have won few more seats if owaisi hadn't cut into the vote share. Him and bsp split the alliance vote share and as you already know in many seats the difference was less than a thousand votes.

LJP did the same thing with JD(U), otherwise nitesh would have won more seats. At the end of the day bjp was the biggest winner, i wont be surprised if they devour jd(u) entirely within the next 10 years. Other regional bjp allies will be taking note of this, then again they're taking note of the cbi too :lol:

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
More than the Bihar elections, BJP needs to be happy about their bypoll results. That was quite an achievement.
In bypolls the candidates from the party who have already formed the state govt usually win.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
So owaisi cost the rjd/cong alliance around 10-15 seats :lol:
Per Owasi, the 21 seats they contested from, BJP/JDU only won 5-6. Have not checked it myself. He also said he wanted to be part of MGB before hand but was not allowed to join.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Did Owasi contest all of these? Besides there is also a theory going around that Nitish retained the support of muslim women.
Assuming he did since these are the seats where muslims are in decent numbers. JD(U) might have retained the support of women in general because of its no alcohol stance.

Suv666

Kunal Kamra probably going to jail. Contempt of Court. Prashant Bhusan got so much grief over a comparatively innocuous tweet.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
What is a technical recession?
Two quarters of negative growth. Mostly due to lockdown. This quarter growth has picked up and the next quarter will decide total gdp contraction which might be lower than initially feared.

Next year it will be 8-9% of gdp growth and lot of chest thumping will happen.

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
The WhatsApp message was posted on one of the family groups. So, naturally, I didn't bother to read it.
:lol:

I swear WhatsApp has been a source of bs posting for long now. The issue is most of this social media is very exclusive and all opinions are shared in a bubble. If you are a leftist for eg and are in mostly left-leaning groups and friends with other leftists you are bound to see one-sided posts.

I've realized a basic fact checker and more detailed analysis by going through both sides of discussions help me reach my consensus better than blindly believing these. Also posting unsubstantiated drivel which over a long time leads to a divide is hardly beneficial. A debate with pros and cons is better but then again hardly pragmatic. Alternating irrational exuberance and blinding violence-inducing hate is the name of the game now.

GailSpaceWynand

Two quarters of negative growth. Mostly due to lockdown. This quarter growth has picked up and the next quarter will decide total gdp contraction which might be lower than initially feared.

Next year it will be 8-9% of gdp growth and lot of chest thumping will happen.
Jsutified chest thumping you think? Just curious

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
:lol:

I swear WhatsApp has been a source of bs posting for long now. The issue is most of this social media is very exclusive and all opinions are shared in a bubble. If you are a leftist for eg and are in mostly left-leaning groups and friends with other leftists you are bound to see one-sided posts.

I've realized a basic fact checker and more detailed analysis by going through both sides of discussions help me reach my consensus better than blindly believing these. Also posting unsubstantiated drivel which over a long time leads to a divide is hardly beneficial. A debate with pros and cons is better but then again hardly pragmatic. Alternating irrational exuberance and blinding violence-inducing hate is the name of the game now.
We needed plasma for my wife and nearly everyone sent us the same forward with these same chaps and their numbers. They're all South Indian names and most numbers are invalid/no longer exist/don't pick up. One of my relatives said it's the numbers of his colony residents while forwarding it. It's not the most harmful example I guess but it's funny how information legitimacy has become a complete farce.

Fake news is a plague. And the elderly are the super spreaders.

GailSpaceWynand

We needed plasma for my wife and nearly everyone sent us the same forward with these same chaps and their numbers. They're all South Indian names and most numbers are invalid/no longer exist/don't pick up. One of my relatives said it's the numbers of his colony residents while forwarding it. It's not the most harmful example I guess but it's funny how information legitimacy has become a complete farce.

Fake news is a plague. And the elderly are the super spreaders.
I hope your wife is fine now, Amol.

I agree. And I believe the older gen is more susceptible to this because they grew up on news coming from established sources (no TV channel or newspaper can post an inaccurate news without losing substantial reputation. Opinions yes but at the time taking sides would hurt sales unlike today with pleothra of niche news co). Today it just needs one person to share something inciting and for others to lap it up as gospel and it becomes an avalanche of shite. I don't think the older people realize that so much of these news can actually be fake (and the other side of things.. how reputable sources can be called "fake" because it goes against their beliefs.) information legitimacy has indeed become a farce.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I hope your wife is fine now, Amol.

I agree. And I believe the older gen is more susceptible to this because they grew up on news coming from established sources (no TV channel or newspaper can post an inaccurate news without losing substantial reputation. Opinions yes but at the time taking sides would hurt sales unlike today with pleothra of niche news co). Today it just needs one person to share something inciting and for others to lap it up as gospel and it becomes an avalanche of shite. I don't think the older people realize that so much of these news can actually be fake (and the other side of things.. how reputable sources can be called "fake" because it goes against their beliefs.) information legitimacy has indeed become a farce.
Its the same all over the world. My father is a stephanian and the amount of drivel that posted on the stephanian group would make you believe that most of the people are uneducated let alone from one of the top educational institutions of the country.

I once thought sometime in the future our current phase would be termed as the age of information but now i think it'll be remembered as the age of misinformation.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
From a BJP whatsapp group -

CIA Homeland Security launched the largest election sting operation 6 hours ago.

Over 500 elite units moved into all ballot counting depots nationwide to stand guard over all the printed ballots.

They were ALL printed with QFS-BLOCKCHAIN (unbreakable code) Watermarks.

So far 14 million ballots have been put through a laser scanner in 5 different states and 78% have failed [NO watermarks] and 100% of these failed ballots all had Biden on them.

Interesting next few days ahead.

This is the brilliance of Donald Trump and his team. They placed an ‘invisible watermark’ on ballots and told no one.

Now the National Guard are going in with ‘infra red’ equipment and can easily read which ballots are real and which are fake, and they are doing a recount.

The Full Story !

from James Sheets:

THE WATERMARK on the official election ballots !!

The original ballots are also registered on a “QFS blockchain” to prevent fraud.

12 states were “targeted !”

The National Guard has been deployed to 12 states :-) Alabama, Arizona, Pennsylvania, Colorado, Texas, Wisconsin, Tennessee, Washington, Virginia, Delaware, Illinois and Kentucky and they are now counting the official ballots!!!!

The DEMS fell right into the trap of this sting operation and TRUMP has it all !! This FRAUD will be exposed for the whole world to see !

And isn't it fancy how the amazing new Supreme Court Justice ‘Amy’ was appointed / confirmed by right before this election ...so that she can rightfully take care of the business of ... election fraud....

Oh and this is only the beginning of the EPIC times that lie ahead !!

So, did Trump win by a landslide !?! You will soon SEE that he did !

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
From a purely legal point of view the supreme court releasing arnob is a shitty precedent to make. I make this point not because arnob didn't deserve to be released (in law during investigation and trial phase jail is the exception and bail the norm) but because the procedure was entirely wrong. I'll tell you why, arnob filed a habeas corpus writ petition because he was taken under judicial custody. This is highly irregular because habeas corpus is granted when prima facie a person has been unlawfully detained, now to claim a person who's been sent into judicial custody (ie after a judicial court studies the record and thinks it fit to detain a person) amounts to unlawful detention is scandalizing the judiciary itself. Habeas corpus is granted in cases of police custody or where some state agency picks up a person, not judicial custody.

The bombay high court had given a correct judgment which basically said we cant release you in a habeas corpus writ petition because then every person in judicial custody will start filing writ petitions and further delay court proceedings. The judge said the correct procedure is to file a bail application before the sessions court and if you are not satisfied you can come to appeal before us. They finished by saying we cant give you bail because we don't have the authority to give you bail (judges are assigned rosters, roster means certain judges hear only certain type of case...these judges were not authorized to hear bail cases). The supreme court then goes and butchers the entire procedure. Last month that kerala journalist who was arrested in UP had also filed a habeas corpus petition instead of a bail application, the supreme court didn't release him citing the same reason that the bombay high court said in arnobs case :wenger:.

Whats even more surprising is that the case got listed within a day, this is highly irregular (unless its a death penalty case). It does not happen unless its been ordered by the chief justice either in court or behind the scenes.

RedDevil@84

From a purely legal point of view the supreme court releasing arnob is a shitty precedent to make. I make this point not because arnob didn't deserve to be released (in law during investigation and trial phase jail is the exception and bail the norm) but because the procedure was entirely wrong. I'll tell you why, arnob filed a habeas corpus writ petition because he was taken under judicial custody. This is highly irregular because habeas corpus is granted when prima facie a person has been unlawfully detained, now to claim a person who's been sent into judicial custody (ie after a judicial court studies the record and thinks it fit to detain a person) amounts to unlawful detention is scandalizing the judiciary itself. Habeas corpus is granted in cases of police custody or where some state agency picks up a person, not judicial custody.

The bombay high court had given a correct judgment which basically said we cant release you in a habeas corpus writ petition because then every person in judicial custody will start filing writ petitions and further delay court proceedings. The judge said the correct procedure is to file a bail application before the sessions court and if you are not satisfied you can come to appeal before us. They finished by saying we cant give you bail because we don't have the authority to give you bail (judges are assigned rosters, roster means certain judges hear only certain type of case...these judges were not authorized to hear bail cases). The supreme court then goes and butchers the entire procedure. Last month that kerala journalist who was arrested in UP had also filed a habeas corpus petition instead of a bail application, the supreme court didn't release him citing the same reason that the bombay high court said in arnobs case :wenger:.

Whats even more surprising is that the case got listed within a day, this is highly irregular (unless its a death penalty case). It does not happen unless its been ordered by the chief justice either in court or behind the scenes.
Guess it pays to be ultra-rich and be chaddi buddies with the most powerful people of India.

RedDevil@84

CIA Homeland Security launched the largest election sting operation 6 hours ago.

Over 500 elite units moved into all ballot counting depots nationwide to stand guard over all the printed ballots.

So far 14 million ballots have been put through a laser scanner in 5 different states and 78% have failed [NO watermarks] and 100% of these failed ballots all had Biden on them.

This is the brilliance of Donald Trump and his team. They placed an ‘invisible watermark’ on ballots and told no one.

Now the National Guard are going in with ‘infra red’ equipment and can easily read which ballots are real and which are fake, and they are doing a recount.

The Full Story !

from James Sheets:

The original ballots are also registered on a “QFS blockchain” to prevent fraud.

The National Guard has been deployed to 12 states :-) Alabama, Arizona, Pennsylvania, Colorado, Texas, Wisconsin, Tennessee, Washington, Virginia, Delaware, Illinois and Kentucky and they are now counting the official ballots!!!!

The DEMS fell right into the trap of this sting operation and TRUMP has it all !! This FRAUD will be exposed for the whole world to see !

And isn't it fancy how the amazing new Supreme Court Justice ‘Amy’ was appointed / confirmed by right before this election ...so that she can rightfully take care of the business of ... election fraud....

Just like the nanochip then

Funny how some people in India want Trump to win, but I am not sure how many Indians in US wanted Trump to win

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Guess it pays to be ultra-rich and be chaddi buddies with the most powerful people of India.
Even the ultra rich without any political backing don't have there matter listed the next day. Its mostly influence of "powerful people".

coolredwine

lameredboots
Even the ultra rich without any political backing don't have there matter listed the next day. Its mostly influence of "powerful people".
Obviously. Look at the union ministers, starting from HM to fckin textile minister falling over each other screeching “death of democracy”

GailSpaceWynand

Its the same all over the world. My father is a stephanian and the amount of drivel that posted on the stephanian group would make you believe that most of the people are uneducated let alone from one of the top educational institutions of the country.

I once thought sometime in the future our current phase would be termed as the age of information but now i think it'll be remembered as the age of misinformation.
My mom's from LSR. Dad's from Xaviers. They still get these. It's a sign of the times we live in.

AshRK

Said it multiple times, BJP's biggest strength is not Modi or hindu card it is Rahul Gandhi. Feel bad for Tejaswi Yadav as he had to allign himself with the clown, would have better off by himself.

Foxbatt

The Full Story !

from James Sheets:

Yes they are crazy and idiotic.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC

While trying to discourage petitions under article 32 the SC released arnob during the pendency of the above case under art 32 itself instead of insisting he file a bail application in the sessions court or high court first. Even after new jurisprudence was made citing "personal liberty" in arnobs case the same benefit was not extended to kappan and this guy doesn't even have access to his lawyer!

Last edited:

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
In another habeas corpus writ petition under article 32 the SC said the following:

and arnob got released under article 32 by the same SC. This does not happen without powers that be pressurizing the SC behind the scenes.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
such a weird coincidence that arnab's got sent to chandrachud so he could rant about liberty, and nobody else's habeus corpus petition goes to him :)

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
such a weird coincidence that arnab's got sent to chandrachud so he could rant about liberty, and nobody else's habeus corpus petition goes to him :)
Such things are not coincidences. Now a bhakt can claim chandrachud is no fanboi of the govt but is infact a liberal.

When petitions are listed out of turn it is done administratively by the CJI, he is afterall "master of the roster". CJI knew he couldn't himself release arnob under article 32 because he had given sermons a week before in court that article 32 cannot be used like this in kappan's case, so he got it listed before the judge who he thinks would have a different view. Im not saying chandrachud is a cnut, he would have released others also under 32 but he got used by the govt indirectly. This is known as bench fishing.

Similarly another brilliant judge rohinton nariman never got to hear any politically sensitive case in the last few years despite him being one of the senior judges without anyone claiming he's corrupt or biased, in the legal fraternity as a lawyer and as a judge he is considered leaps and bounds better than almost anyone when it comes to knowing the full extent of the laws, he has everything including legal provisions and cases (including dates, page & para no's) on his fingertips.

coolredwine

lameredboots
CJI knew he couldn't himself release arnob under article 32 because he had given sermons a week before in court that article 32 cannot be used like this in kappan's case,
Which would be weird given how he was using the same article to diss Maharashtra Assembly.

coolredwine

lameredboots
In another habeas corpus writ petition under article 32 the SC said the following:

and arnob got released under article 32 by the same SC. This does not happen without powers that be pressurizing the SC behind the scenes.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Which would be weird given how he was using the same article to diss Maharashtra Assembly.
Thats a separate matter. What the CJI is saying is that look there's already a legal provision (section 436-439) in the crpc for getting bail in all kinds of cases. Why don't you come via that legal route instead of filing a petition under article 32 directly in the SC. Petitions under article 32 in the SC are not supposed to be routine but special matters for cases where there is no legal provision, or conflicting high court decisions, or if fundamental rights were being curtailed nationally or even in an entire state (btw high courts under article 226 enjoy greater power to interfere in cases than supreme court under article 32). I agree with the point of view of the CJI, however the same wasn't applied in arnobs case which has now opened the flood gates for parallel cases being filed ie bail applications in the sessions court and high court and also writ petitions in the high court and supreme court to get released, thereby further clogging up the workload of the judiciary and the judiciary has no one to blame apart from themselves.

coolredwine

lameredboots
Thats a separate matter. What the CJI is saying is that look there's already a legal provision (section 436-439) in the crpc for getting bail in all kinds of cases. Why don't you come via that legal route instead of filing a petition under article 32 directly in the SC. Petitions under article 32 in the SC are not supposed to be routine but special matters for cases where there is no legal provision, or conflicting high court decisions, or if fundamental rights were being curtailed nationally or even in an entire state (btw high courts under article 226 enjoy greater power to interfere in cases than supreme court under article 32). I agree with the point of view of the CJI, however the same wasn't applied in arnobs case which has now opened the flood gates for parallel cases being filed ie bail applications in the sessions court and high court and also writ petitions in the high court and supreme court to get released, thereby further clogging up the workload of the judiciary and the judiciary has no one to blame apart from themselves.
I am referring to this:
which was heard by CJI himself.