Injured on international duty

OldSchoolManc

Why are clubs obliged to release players to play for their country?

I fully understand the players wanting to represent their country, but there doesn’t seem to be proportionate compensation for players returning injured.

Players valuations have reached above 100 million and they are paid millions by their club. Why should the club have to pay the player when they come back injured? They should be paid by their country!

If you loaned out a Bugatti or a Rolls Royce, there would be insurance protecting them. If they came back damaged or god forbid, written off, you would fully expect them to be repaired or replaced.

Say for example, Neymar or Messi had a career ending injury on international duty. Would the national team compensate their club? There’s no way they could afford it!

*Edit - There is compensation to the clubs, but it is capped and is nowhere near the valuations and wages of the modern player.

Last edited:

MuranoLover

I think most valuable players have leg accident insurance , but probably it is only for carrier ending cases

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Clubs have their own insurance anyway.

SirAF

Ageist
They do, but a compensation worth a few hundred grand or even millions doesn’t really help in cases where clubs have to do without key players in an important match.

Afganitia

Supports
Girona
Because players aren't a propriety of the clubs. We are in the XXI century and footballers are recognised as individuals that can take their own decisions. An injury is something that is mostly bad for the players themselves. They aren't a car, but human beings.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
It's simple....if you don't want to worry about your players getting injured while on international duty, just sign shitty players. Problem solved...

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
To be fair, if I fell down the stairs whilst doing some work on the side for a different company, i'd still expect the company i work for full time to pay me during sick leave.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
I think it goes both ways, the little 6 years old who starts football can do that because the FA gives him access to all these structures.It also benefits the club to have a player called-up and performing for his country.And most players want to play for their country, it would make no sense to block them.
I'm sure most players would rather win a Euro or a World Cup than the Champion's League.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Playing for your country is a proud moment for a hell of a lot of players. It is unfortunate and a pain when one of your own club players gets injured - but that's life. Could happen in training, could have an injury at home or when driving. Shit happens. Buying players come with risks regardless.

OldSchoolManc

To be honest, I’m a bit sick of the amount of pointless international friendlies.

I’m a bit frustrated at the season starting then having a 2 week break after 3 games.

Players are already having to fit 3 games into some weeks during the season and it isn’t helped by these friendlies.