Injuries

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Was a bit surprised to read this. Because we didn’t get our traditional “every central defender at the club out at once” crisis I didn’t realise we picked up so many injuries. These stats certainly make a mockery of the idea that running much less than other teams somehow prevents injuries. Evidently not.

AgentP

After Ole made them run a bit more, everyone crumbled and got injured within a short period. I would blame a lot of our injuries on poor fitness levels.

Johnbouche

I think half these injuries were mental, players hiding when they could actually play. A lot of the time they just didn't want to be in the firing line, so took the easy way out. Sums up the state of the club and poor recruitment.

Classical Mechanic

It’s happening again. I honestly thing there’s some serious issue with our medical team or facilities, every season we seem to top the injuries list.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Im not joking here but half our injuries seem to be caused by players sprinting after lost causes after being ignored the last 500 times they made a run in the hope of actually being passed the ball.

I genuinely think our shite football contributes.

Ace of Spades

Im not joking here but half our injuries seem to be caused by players sprinting after lost causes after being ignored the last 500 times they made a run in the hope of actually being passed the ball.

I genuinely think our shite football contributes.
Could be, we have some absolute cowardly players, and they are supposed to be the leaders.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
serious issue with our medical team or facilities,
I think every sane fan thinks that by now. Well, everyone except people at our club who by the looks of it can't see anything wrong with it.

Also recovery of our injured players is always questionable, I swear other teams heal their players at least 30-40% quicker from same injuries that our players do.

Classical Mechanic

I think every sane fan thinks that by now. Well, everyone except people at our club who by the looks of it can't see anything wrong with it.

Also recovery of our injured players is always questionable, I swear other teams heal their players at least 30-40% quicker from same injuries that our players do.
I think we need to sell injury prone players like Bailly, Jones and Rojo because they inflate the figures. We shouldn’t keep such unreliable players in the squad.

BlueHaze

It’s happening again. I honestly thing there’s some serious issue with our medical team or facilities, every season we seem to top the injuries list.
I think there is a connection too. Under Ole it seems to be worse though. But I just look at Liverpool for instance where they run their socks off each game and almost field the same exact eleven every single time. They suffer from very little problems with injuries which means they are doing something right. We are obviously doing things wrong. This is not normal.

Classical Mechanic

I think there is a connection too. Under Ole it seems to be worse though. But I just look at Liverpool for instance where they run their socks off each game and almost field the same exact eleven every single time. They suffer from very little problems with injuries which means they arr doing something right. We are obviously doing things wrong.
I mean we talk about shit managers and players etc but this is impeding us just as much in my opinion.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I hope its very evident to everyone that our reality would be different if we could somehow stop having the most injuries by any team at any point in any season.

We get literally 0 consistency in the squad since key players keep getting injured.

BlueHaze

I mean we talk about shit managers and players etc but this is impeding us just as much in my opinion.
I agree. There could be plenty different reasons too. Maybe poor medical team as you said. Maybe players not bothering to train properly or they are training too hard. Whatever is going on behind the scenes needs to end because it's become a big issue especially since Ole came.

Classical Mechanic

This really is an issue in my opinion. We went into the game today with only 1 of our regular back four playing and we are missing our two best attacking players. Dalot got injured again. It undermines everything that we try to do when we have so many players missing all the time.

Eric7C

This really is an issue in my opinion. We went into the game today with only 1 of our regular back four playing and we are missing our two best attacking players. Dalot got injured again. It undermines everything that we try to do when we have so many players missing all the time.
What about last season's form since the PSG game? Injuries are an issue, but they are not the dominant ones. The coaching is abysmal. Man Utd players not knowing how to move and create space and pass. Sorry, the injuries are just an excuse.

Eric7C

It's not the fact that the club have won just 2 games or that they have lost 3, including to the worst club in the division who are most probably going to be relegated. It's that we can't produce one coherent attacking move in a game, let alone have consistent attacks on goal. Injures, I have to say again, are just an excuse.

Classical Mechanic

It's not the fact that the club have won just 2 games or that they have lost 3, including to the worst club in the division who are most probably going to be relegated. It's that we can't produce one coherent attacking move in a game, let alone have consistent attacks on goal. Injures, I have to say again, are just an excuse.
I never said that it's an excuse. I think its part of the club being run badly. We've been undermined by injuries since the Fergie days, there has to be a reason for this that can be corrected.

As for last season, look at the OP, we had 61 injuries last season! 19 more than the next worse affected team!!

RedDevilRoshi

I don’t want to use injuries as an excuse. Will just sound like an Arsenal fan and I’ve virtually ran out of excuses now to defend this. We did not strengthen the midfield and the attack in the summer and every single one of us knew that a couple of injuries in key areas here and there would leave us threadbare. Plus also knowing that our depth is utter s***

Eric7C

I never said that it's an excuse. I think its part of the club being run badly. We've been undermined by injuries since the Fergie days, there has to be a reason for this that can be corrected.

As for last season, look at the OP, we had 61 injuries last season! 19 more than the next worse affected team!!
You didn't, my bad.

Yes, the frequency and the extent of the injuries are a big concern, one of many at the club at this moment.

Djemba-Djemba

We have a huge injury crisis at least once a season every fecking season.

Do other clubs experience this every year?

What is going on with us? It's not even just a post Fergie thing either, even under Fergie we'd regularly have periods where we were missing half the squad.

Irwin99

Martial is a big miss, but for me the difference in quality between the injured players and the ones playing isn't enough to justify it as an excuse. I think Lindelof and Axel are both very good defenders....probably Lindelof gets the nod with his experience but the difference is not vast so i can't say we missed Victor today. Shaw and AWB are good defenders but defending isn't the problem, I doubt they'd add anything to our attack. Pogba is obviously our most creative player but as I said in the West Ham game I doubt he would have fancied that match if he'd been fit and i doubt he would have added much today either, especially as we seem adamant that he should play in a deeper role.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I think there is a connection too. Under Ole it seems to be worse though. But I just look at Liverpool for instance where they run their socks off each game and almost field the same exact eleven every single time. They suffer from very little problems with injuries which means they are doing something right. We are obviously doing things wrong. This is not normal.
When you’re confident you feel like niggling injuries don’t matter, run it off. When you’re a bag of shite, you use every injury as an excuse for under performing or not playing

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
We have a huge injury crisis at least once a season every fecking season.

Do other clubs experience this every year?

What is going on with us? It's not even just a post Fergie thing either, even under Fergie we'd regularly have periods where we were missing half the squad.
Arsenal do too

Treble

The injuries might be related to the training methods. Why do Liverpool get fewer injuries?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I think we only have 3 injuries that aren't to defenders, and our defence still probably looks like the least weakened part of our team.

3 injuries to your midfield and attack isn't really a crisis if you have anything approaching a half decent squad.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Was a bit surprised to read this. Because we didn’t get our traditional “every central defender at the club out at once” crisis I didn’t realise we picked up so many injuries. These stats certainly make a mockery of the idea that running much less than other teams somehow prevents injuries. Evidently not.
Food for thought for those who say martial isn't injury prone.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Still laughing with the poster who said he was made of biscuit :lol:
Gets a lot of injuries and you suspect he's one of those who won't play if not very close to 100%.
Whereas rashy looks sometimes to be at 50% but still has the desire to get out there even though its affecting his reputation.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think we only have 3 injuries that aren't to defenders, and our defence still probably looks like the least weakened part of our team.

3 injuries to your midfield and attack isn't really a crisis if you have anything approaching a half decent squad.
There’s no point in repeating this at this stage. I think everyone knows we don’t have a good squad in terms of depth, and as a result, we are here having the very valid conversation about how losing key midfielders and forwards has severely weakened the side.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Could our players be malingerers and simply not up for it so they suddenly pick a little hamstring here and there...

I mean, with this lot I wouldn’t even be surprised.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
There’s no point in repeating this at this stage. I think everyone knows we don’t have a good squad in terms of depth, and as a result, we are here having the very valid conversation about how losing key midfielders and forwards has severely weakened the side.
Pogba and Lingard were not injured until this game, so it's actually just one player outside of the defence, Martial, and with him we were awful and lost to Crystal Palace.

It's way too presumptuous to put injuries as the main reason for our performances. There's probably 100 things a game we should be doing better with the players we have.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Could our players be malingerers and simply not up for it so they suddenly pick a little hamstring here and there...

Depends who you mean.
Rashford certainly couldn't be accused of it. He is the opposite, where he's turning out so far off peak fitness that he's actually affecting his own reputation

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus

I've suspected it for a while. Pogba always seems to pick up a knock or a red card right before a big game. Could be a coincidence but, like you said, nothing would surprise me anymore.

Thisistheone

Are our medical facilities as neglected as our stadium?

Feels like every season we get loads of injuries. Even under Fergie we'd have a crisis most seasons. Remember playing Wolfsburg in the CL with no defenders avaialable, Carrick, Park, Fletcher and someone else played at the back. We still won but thats not the point.

Classical Mechanic

I'm convinced Sanchez was feigning injury last year, he just so happened to be making a film in Chile last year too.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Pogba and Lingard were not injured until this game, so it's actually just one player outside of the defence, Martial, and with him we were awful and lost to Crystal Palace.

It's way too presumptuous to put injuries as the main reason for our performances. There's probably 100 things a game we should be doing better with the players we have.
Pogba has missed more than the one game. And yes, Pogba is just one midfielder, but he is THE midfielder. The rest are much of a muchness, so we could easily lose two or three of the other mids and be better off, as long as we have enough ‘bodies’ left. And Martial is the main centre forward. Losing the two of them, given how weak the squad is, as you said, makes a huge difference.

Besides, we’re not losing games by several goals or anything. All of our games have one goal in it pretty much. Pogba and Martial make a big difference there.

And losing the two full backs shouldn’t be underestimated either tbh. I personally think Newcastle wouldn’t score if AWB was playing yesterday, for example. In that break away, their man was being chased 40 yards before he passed it wide, but nobody could make the tackle before the ball went wide. I think AWB would have.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Pogba has missed more than the one game. And yes, Pogba is just one midfielder, but he is THE midfielder. The rest are much of a muchness, so we could easily lose two or three of the other mids and be better off, as long as we have enough ‘bodies’ left. And Martial is the main centre forward. Losing the two of them, given how weak the squad is, as you said, makes a huge difference.

Besides, we’re not losing games by several goals or anything. All of our games have one goal in it pretty much. Pogba and Martial make a big difference there.

And losing the two full backs shouldn’t be underestimated either tbh. I personally think Newcastle wouldn’t score if AWB was playing yesterday, for example. In that break away, their man was being chased 40 yards before he passed it wide, but nobody could make the tackle before the ball went wide. I think AWB would have.
You realise that Pogba has been pretty much consistently shite for well over a year now? His best performances under Ole came when he was more advanced, where we can't really play him now even with everyone fit.

Martial's highest scoring season was 17 goals.

These are problems of our own making really. Losing one forward isn't a crisis for a competently run club.

Agree the fullbacks might have made a difference but this is ignoring the fact we have played terribly with Bissaka and/or Shaw in the team this season.

Injuries are an excuse at this point. There are problems with our performances that are about more than just who is or isn't fit.

Siorac

You realise that Pogba has been pretty much consistently shite for well over a year now? His best performances under Ole came when he was more advanced, where we can't really play him now even with everyone fit.

Martial's highest scoring season was 17 goals.

These are problems of our own making really. Losing one forward isn't a crisis for a competently run club.

Agree the fullbacks might have made a difference but this is ignoring the fact we have played terribly with Bissaka and/or Shaw in the team this season.

Injuries are an excuse at this point. There are problems with our performances that are about more than just who is or isn't fit.
That is all true - apart from not being able to play Pogba further up; can't see why not - but still, the amount of injuries we're getting consistently, every single season needs to be looked at. It cannot be just bad luck or a coincidence. It's one of the many problems we have, yes, but still a problem.