Television Inside No. 9

Oggmonster

Yeah I enjoyed last nights episode really well done. Wasn't a massive fan of the week before though thought the twist was a bit of an anti climax.

JP77

Yeah I enjoyed last nights episode really well done. Wasn't a massive fan of the week before though thought the twist was a bit of an anti climax.
This one was probably my favorite of the series, it left so much to the imagination too.

I'm still questioning if he had Alzheimer's or was just mentally broken from the tragedy. There were quite a few hints at the former throughout I thought but I may be way off on that one.

RedRevongge

This one was probably my favorite of the series, it left so much to the imagination too.

I'm still questioning if he had Alzheimer's or was just mentally broken from the tragedy. There were quite a few hints at the former throughout I thought but I may be way off on that one.
It was a good episode. This series has generally been good. I thought the twist was going to be....

That he killed his daughter to reunite her with her twin

Silva

It was a good episode. This series has generally been good. I thought the twist was going to be....

Yeah that's what I thought too. Good episode, I don't think it was as good as the Sphinx episode but it was definitely better than last week.

JP77

I think he did kill his other daughter at the end. They did it though so that it was left to our imagination and to question whether he killed Ted, his daughter or even both. So much was made of pairs and symmetrical stuff throughout the episode to point to him killing his daughter. Very dark episode, do love it in cases like this when they leave it to our imagination without revealing everything.

JP77

Not Inside No 9 (returns next year for another series) but for fans of the guys the BBC just announced that The League Of Gentlemen is returning later this year for three episodes :drool::drool::drool:

Brophs

The One and Only
I finally got around to watching Series 3. Really enjoyed it again. There are some patchy moments, but as I think I said earlier in this thread, when you go out on a limb and try to make genuinely interesting, original tv, not everything is going to land. The restaurant bill, the crossword and the shoe eps grabbed me the most on first viewing.

In other news...

Classical Mechanic

Just come across this on iPlayer, some episodes are absolutely brilliant whilst some are total crap. I loved the one with Sheridan Smith and thought the witch one straight after was python-esque in the humour, great contrast between the two episodes. Impressive stuff.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
I finally got around to staring to watch this series. I love Shearsmith and Pemberton, can't believe it's already 4 seasons in. Anyway watched the first 2 episodes of season 1. All I will say is the bit with the dogs in Quiet Night In. I laughed so much I nearly shat meself.

Gambit

Watched the 12 days of Christine last night. :(

Gambit

Also the ending of the harrowing was incredibly disturbing.

Gambit

Right I've decided this is the best show on TV and far better than Black Mirror.

Gambit

I dunno about that. Both shows vary in quality as you'd expect from an anthology style series.
Your opinion doesn't matter. I've decided. Seriously though. I've feel the highs of inside number 9 outway any of the highs of Black Mirror. It's only half an hour long but some episodes pack more in than a feature film.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
It’s the best written thing on TV right now. The character they cram into 25 minutes is extraordinary. This season is steaming ahead of BM so far for me (not that it’s a competition)

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
That was probably my most favourite out of the entire series.

Mockney

I think that’s the first one in 4 seasons that I felt could’ve benefitted from being a bit longer.

The character building, dialogue and acting were all stellar as usual, but the time from twist to conclusion was a little too abrupt.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I think that’s the first one in 4 seasons that I felt could’ve benefitted from being a bit longer.

The character building, dialogue and acting were all stellar as usual, but the time from twist to conclusion was a little too abrupt.
I'd agree with that. The sudden twist of Pembertons character was effective, but might have been better to see the mask slowly slip.

Mockney

I'd agree with that. The sudden twist of Pembertons character was effective, but might have been better to see the mask slowly slip.
I think all the domestic build up worked well, and helped make the twist a real gut punch...but then once that happened, it sort of just rushed to a conclusion. If they’d made that Black Mirror length, say, they could’ve done both a more gradual, seeded reveal, and a more satisfying ending.

It seems churlish to complain though, as it was still excellent TV. And as I said, probably the 1st one in four years that felt genuinely constrained by the run time.

RedRevongge

Yea I would agree. The ending seemed rushed. I kind of got confused at the end.

When Pemberton fell down the stairs was he just trying to stop the trip abroad? Trying to kill himself?

How was the girl found?

It all seemed a bit rushed but all in all one of the best tv shows at the moment for sure

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
He was obviously just trying to stop the holiday from happening.

I would rather that they showed her discovering his secret than skip into the future for the obvious 'twist'.

I do like these really dark episodes though.

RedRevongge

He was obviously just trying to stop the holiday from happening.

I would rather that they showed her discovering his secret than skip into the future for the obvious 'twist'.

I do like these really dark episodes though.
Yes I assumed that but I couldn't work out how the found the girl. The wife came to the basement in an earlier scene and didn't hear a noise.

It was kind of unclear why she suddenly found the girl when the basement didn't seem exactly off limits to her anyway.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Yes I assumed that but I couldn't work out how the found the girl. The wife came to the basement in an earlier scene and didn't hear a noise.

It was kind of unclear why she suddenly found the girl when the basement didn't seem exactly off limits to her anyway.
I think that's why people are saying it felt a bit short as that's a fairly big plot point to skip over.

Oggmonster

Yea I would agree. The ending seemed rushed. I kind of got confused at the end.

When Pemberton fell down the stairs was he just trying to stop the trip abroad? Trying to kill himself?

How was the girl found?

It all seemed a bit rushed but all in all one of the best tv shows at the moment for sure
I thought he was trying to kill himself. I think he saw it as his only option really.

It was probably the creepiest episode I can remember to be honest and I really enjoyed it. I quite liked the time of the episode despite what others say....the suddenness of it made it more shocking I thought.

Mockney

Well, whoever arranged the airing order definitely loaded it top heavy.

Still one of (if not) the best written thing on TV, but sadly the last 3 of this series couldn’t live up to the brilliance of the first 3.

Recommissioned for a 5th though. Brrrraaap. We go again.

RedRevongge

Well, whoever arranged the airing order definitely loaded it top heavy.

Still one of (if not) the best written thing on TV, but sadly the last 3 of this series couldn’t live up to the brilliance of the first 3.

Recommissioned for a 5th though. Brrrraaap. We go again.
Yea I agree the last episode was a bit bizarre. Could have been really cool but didn't really hit the mark.

The twist at the end felt a bit forced. Saying that you're right they had some great episodes early in the season

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Enjoyed that. Only the 5th was a dud this series for me. Apparently the hare is a recurring item throughout the show (you can usually spot it in the background if you're eagle enough).

Mockney

... maybe got a bit over excited.

Still, was a great idea. Used the whole “Live TV” thing brilliantly. Probably wont work on catch up though.

Last edited:

Mockney

Yeah that was great. Missed the start so wondered wtf was going on.
We were about to turn over just as it became clear. Then were wondering whether they’d timed out exactly when the perfect breaking point would be. Wouldn’t put it past them at this point.