Television Inside No. 9

dellboyy

Ha, i only just found out it wasn't an actual fault.. i turned over after like 5 mins :lol:

I'll watch it on iplayer tonight, should have guessed really!

Silva

Watched it when I went to bed last night and it kept me up for a couple of hours despite the twist being obvious enough. I don't know how well it would work in the middle of the day, but it definitely worked at night.

I'm not a fan of jump scares, they're usually cheap and this wasn't an exception, but they were telegraphed well. The first one made me shiver a little.

Classical Mechanic

... maybe got a bit over excited.

Still, was a great idea. Used the whole “Live TV” thing brilliantly. Probably wont work on catch up though.
Just watched it on catch up. I was rewinding it when the sound cut out to see if it was a fault on iPlayer.

I remember the old curse stories at Granada. The tour at Granada Studios was a great day out when I was a kid.

How many people were Googling Granada studios and Bobby Davro after that, it was smartly done.

Weird thing was that I just happened to catch the One Show the other night with them on it so that brought a smile to my face.

CM

I think the first few minutes were very clever but the rave reviews that followed were a bit over the top. It was very experimental and meta but I don't think I'd rank it among the best.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I hope the rest of the series' is a damn(ed) sight better than The Harrowing. Weak humour, tame 'horror' and so on.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I decided to give this a go this morning and watched ‘Tom and Gerri’ from S01 (the episode about the tramp). Very good character development and storyline packed into a half-hour show. Looking forward to checking out more over the coming days. ‘Sardines’ (S01 E01) is next on my list.

Member 39557

I decided to give this a go this morning and watched ‘Tom and Gerri’ from S01 (the episode about the tramp). Very good character development and storyline packed into a half-hour show. Looking forward to checking out more over the coming days. ‘Sardines’ (S01 E01) is next on my list.
It can be quite hit & miss for me, but when it hits, it's very good.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
It can be quite hit & miss for me, but when it hits, it's very good.
Yeah, I think I’ll just pick and choose which episodes I’ll invest my time in. IMDb and ‘essential viewing’ lists all seem to be in unison in terms of which episodes are great and which ones should be avoided. The anthology format makes it great to dip in and out of.

Brophs

The One and Only
Because of the nature of the show, there are always going to be bits that just don't land. By and large, though, even the weaker eps are a good watch. They're making incredibly inventive, interesting tv while quite often playing with the form itself, which very few people are doing on mainstream channels.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
First episode of S5 was solid.

“In the San Siro...!”

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Good episode, couple of nitpicks though. Didn’t really understand how the whole gay love plot tied in with the rest of it.

Also, if the refs plan all along was to cause a fight and get the game abandoned so his team were be promoted, how was he going to do that without the linesman taking the bribe? Or wasn’t he going to bother, and used the other refs cock-up as an opportunity?

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Good episode, couple of nitpicks though. Didn’t really understand how the whole gay love plot tied in with the rest of it.

Also, if the refs plan all along was to cause a fight and get the game abandoned so his team were be promoted, how was he going to do that without the linesman taking the bribe? Or wasn’t he going to bother, and used the other refs cock-up as an opportunity?
He was the one offering the bribe.

DWelbz19

Yeah, he was behind all of it. The rather sinister implication is that he wasn’t actually gay — or at least, when he says he was acting ‘for love’, it was for the love of City (his football team) and not the striker.

2 man midfield

Yeah, he was behind all of it. The rather sinister implication is that he wasn’t actually gay — or at least, when he says he was acting ‘for love’, it was for the love of City (his football team) and not the striker.
I got that from it too, I just don’t really understand what impact it had on the story. Doesn’t it pretty much work the same if we never meet the United captain? Other than the fact they have to have the number 9 in there somewhere, and therefore the referee is technically ‘inside number 9’ himself, I wasn’t sure why his character was in there really.

I could be wrong though, I missed the obvious reveal that the ref was behind the bribe so I’m probably missing something again.

Mockney

Yeah, I’m not sure the gay subplot really added an awful lot. Morrissey played it very well though.

Oggmonster

The gay story might of been to just extend the episode out s bit but it did add some little bits to. When he says after the game is abandoned "I did it for love" he was talking about the team etc. Probably didn't need to see it all as it didn't have a massive impact but it makes more sense to the story by showing it all.

2 man midfield

The gay story might of been to just extend the episode out s bit but it did add some little bits to. When he says after the game is abandoned "I did it for love" he was talking about the team etc. Probably didn't need to see it all as it didn't have a massive impact but it makes more sense to the story by showing it all.
Yeah true. I guess diversion as well maybe? Keeping you guessing what twist is coming is part of the fun, so maybe it’s to counteract his real motive for acting so out of character. There’s so many small details in this show, the writing is incredible.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I thought the gay storyline was to try and throw the viewer off the scent with regards to the twist. It showed the ref himself was also compromised and not impartial quite early on so maybe they were hoping we wouldn’t expect it to go further down that route. Shearsmith and Pemberton’s MO often seems to be that the most innocent looking person is responsible.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Not the best episode but always nice to see this series back on tv.
Agreed. There were things I liked but I found much of the banter between the refs a bit cringey, particularly the references from real football which seemed crow-barred in.

The relationship between the player and ref was very unexpected and then to find the ref was doing it purely 'for love' of his team was very funny. That final scene :lol:

All in all good fun, with the classic taut, roller coaster plotting in full flow, and I'm so happy to see No 9 back for another series.

Also I've just read Morrissey insisted on having Martin's team changed from United to City because he likes Liverpool, the bastard :mad: :devil:

Last edited:

DWelbz19

Rewatching ‘em now. How good wasThe 12 Days of Christine, man?

2 man midfield

Agreed. There were things I liked but I found much of the banter between the refs a bit cringey, particularly the references from real football which seemed crow-barred in.

The relationship between the player and ref was very unexpected and then to find the ref was doing it purely 'for love' of his team was very funny. That final scene :lol:

All in all good fun, with the classic taut, roller coaster plotting in full flow, and I'm so happy to see No 9 back for another series.

Also I've just read Morrissey insisted on having Martin's team changed from United to City because he likes Liverpool, the bastard :mad: :devil:
I thought the football references were really well done tbh.

"Even Arsene Wenger could see that" :lol:

Mockney

No idea what those who didn’t watch Psychoville would’ve made of that, but I thoroughly enjoyed it, even if the ending was a far too neat and didn’t really make a lot of sense.

Oggmonster

No idea what those who didn’t watch Psychoville would’ve made of that, but I thoroughly enjoyed it, even if the ending was a far too neat and didn’t really make a lot of sense.
I've never seen psychoville and still enjoyed it. Probably not as much as those who have I guess but was still good episode...prob have to find Psychoville somewhere though to watch anyway

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I've never seen psychoville and still enjoyed it. Probably not as much as those who have I guess but was still good episode...prob have to find Psychoville somewhere though to watch anyway
Yeah same. I suspected they were characters from other series as I picked up on the Tina Turner reference. Ashamed to say I never watched LoG either.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I loved Psychoville so it was great to see those characters again, but i'm not sure if it worked overall as an episode. It was certainly funny, but i really didn't like the ending; just found it very underwhelming and it really didn't make much sense, to be honest.

All in all, quite disappointing. And that's coming from someone who was a huge fan of Psychoville.

Hephaestus

Thought that was the weakest episode of the show. First episode was stronger, not a classic but much better than this one in my opinion.

DWelbz19

I've never seen Psychoville, so I'm definitely missing something, but that felt very flat to me. Tonally it felt all over the place. Very theatrical with a very weak ending.