Inter Miami

Captain16Keano

So Beckham's team is due to make it's debut when the MLS kicks off next month. With that in mind, I have some questions. Why do they have two herons on the badge? Why did Becks choose such a shit name for his club? Why did he choose an even shitter name for his investment group, 'Miami Beckham United'? And finally, what's with the shittest name of all, Inter Miami's stadium: Freedom Park LLC ?

With all that in mind, and considering that the opening sentence of their Wikipedia 'history' begins "In November 2012, MLS commissioner Don Garber confirmed the league's renewed interest in placing an expansion franchise in Miami,[3] after the Miami Fusion folded following the 2001 season...", can we agree that Inter Miami are the most heinous club in the history of sports, objectively even more so than Liverpool?
I think the badge is brilliant, a clear reference to db and vb in the herons legs crossing and well as the M for miami.

The spanish sounding club name is as good as any considering the location and spanish influence there. the case with Inter milan wont last long considering there are other clubs older than milan that have used inter before them.

Wish him all the best with it.

astracrazy

Maybe a silly question, but where did all the players come from? Did they just buy 23 players from other clubs/academies?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Maybe a silly question, but where did all the players come from? Did they just buy 23 players from other clubs/academies?
They were allowed to pick 5 players from other teams in the league in the expansion draft. Players who were left unprotected by their club. Then yes, they’ve just signed the rest the same as any new team does.

DVG7

Will Inter also be suing the 7000 teams in the uk 7aside leagues called inter yernan?

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I used to play for a boys team situated in Tolworth called A3 Milan and we were never sued.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
How does this work? Wouldn't it be a nightmare suing something/someone in a different country/legal system?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Clubs called Inter besides Internazionale:

SC Internacional (Brazil)
Inter Sibiu (Romania)
Inter Turku (Finland)
Inter Bratislava (Slovakia, on hold)
Inter Zapresic (Croatia)
International Curtea de Arges (Romania)
Esporte Club Internacional (two clubs in Brazil)
Associacao Atletica Internacional (another one from Brazil)
Inter Luanda (Angola)
Inter Baku (Azebaijan)
Inter Club d'Escaldes (Andorra)
Inter Leipzig (German)
Inter de Grand-Goave (Haiti)
Inter Moengoatpoe (Suriname)

A popular TV station in the Ukraine is called Inter.

All of this already exists but somehow Inter Miami is not cool. This reminds me when DC sued Valencia because they deemed the bat design in their new logo to closely resemble the Batman logo.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC

Inter Sibiu (Romania)
Inter Turku (Finland)
Inter Zapresic (Croatia)
Inter Luanda (Angola)
Inter Baku (Azebaijan)
Inter Leipzig (German)

All of this already exists but somehow Inter Miami is not cool. This reminds me when DC sued Valencia because they deemed the bat design in their new logo to closely resemble the Batman logo.
That's not how trademarks work. Inter Milan registered a patent on the use of the name Inter in the US specifically. In hopes of protecting it for commercial use.

The case will probably be thrown out though, because Inter Miami is derived from the club's full name (CF Internacional de Miami).

Snow

That's not how trademarks work. Inter Milan registered a patent on the use of the name Inter in the US specifically. In hopes of protecting it for commercial use.

The case will probably be thrown out though, because Inter Miami is derived from the club's full name (CF Internacional de Miami).
Trademarks law work this way. The ones with more money win.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
There's no way Becks has a net worth of 900m.
If Tiger Woods can be worth a bill I can't see why Beckham couldn't be getting there. He's worked with enough companies.

Inter Sibiu (Romania)
Inter Turku (Finland)
Inter Zapresic (Croatia)
Inter Luanda (Angola)
Inter Baku (Azebaijan)
Inter Leipzig (German)

Presumably with Beckham involved they’re actually worried about it affecting their brand this time.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Inter Miami is a shit name anyway. Just go with the wildcats

Spark

Touts outside the ground i'd imagine will be a simple solution - who knows whether it'll be expensive though. What are MLS ticket prices usually?
I'd suggest the best thing to do is fire a PM over to @Eboue. He'll collect tickets and meet you near the ground.
They aren’t on sale yet.
Cheers all. Will highly likely sack it off, as apparently Miami has a rugby team and John Cena plays for them. Sounds way better.

Snow

If Tiger Woods can be worth a bill I can't see why Beckham couldn't be getting there. He's worked with enough companies.

Presumably with Beckham involved they’re actually worried about it affecting their brand this time.
They should think about the positive affect it can have on their brand. Inter Miami being your local team, you start watching football outside of the US or play FIFA and notice another team called Inter that are pretty good. That's a way to get new fans.

In any case I don't think they can ban them from naming themselves Club Internacional de Fútbol Miami and Inter Miami for short but selling merch with just Inter could be infringement. That I understand. Also knowing American pundits they won't be referred to as just Inter.

Does anyone know what their name will be in the clock graphics? I'm assuming MIA for 3 letters?

thepolice123

Tiger is the face of a rich man's sport and still relevant today. Beckham's sponsorship deals pales in comparison to Tiger's.

Doubt it. As a comparison, Paul Macartney is worth $1.2Billion. Not only has Paul been around much longer but has produced/offered a lot more.
Paul McCartney and Tiger are legends for what did they in their own respective fields. You can argue that Beckham got popular largely due to self-promotion. Its no comparison really.

limerickcitykid

Tiger is the face of a rich man's sport and still relevant today. Beckham's sponsorship deals pales in comparison to Tiger's.

Paul McCartney and Tiger are legends for what did they in their own respective fields. You can argue that Beckham got popular largely due to self-promotion. Its no comparison really.
Beckham was one of the best players in the world in his prime. For much of the world he is also the face of the biggest sport on the planet.

MLS clubs alone are worth $200m+. Beyond that we don’t know what his invest portfolio looks like. His deals with the likes of Adidas and H&M will be worth loads and he likely has plenty of real estate investment. He’s very clearly business inclined and knows what he’s doing and is surrounded by people that know what they’re doing. He very well could be worth close to $900m.

I look after some high profile clients and some of them are worth loads and they aren’t even 1/10 the figure Beckham is.

thepolice123

Beckham was one of the best players in the world in his prime. For much of the world he is also the face of the biggest sport on the planet.

MLS clubs alone are worth $200m+. Beyond that we don’t know what his invest portfolio looks like. His deals with the likes of Adidas and H&M will be worth loads and he likely has plenty of real estate investment. He’s very clearly business inclined and knows what he’s doing and is surrounded by people that know what they’re doing. He very well could be worth close to $900m.

I look after some high profile clients and some of them are worth loads and they aren’t even 1/10 the figure Beckham is.
If you are talking about him and Victoria combined, maybe. If its just Becks alone, I highly doubt it. He owns Inter Miami together with Softbank. Its not like he forked 200m out of his own pocket.

He is rich and very popular but I really doubt he is Jordan or Tiger rich (the sub $1b). They have the luxury of being insanely popular in Amercia.

limerickcitykid

If you are talking about him and Victoria combined, maybe. If its just Becks alone, I highly doubt it. He owns Inter Miami together with Softbank. Its not like he forked 200m out of his own pocket.

He is rich and very popular but I really doubt he is Jordan or Tiger rich (the sub $1b). They have the luxury of being insanely popular in Amercia.
He sold part of his share of Inter Miami. He didn’t just hand it out to SoftBank for free. So whether he still owns Inter Miami or sold half of it for $100m he’ll still have that asset.

Beckham is also way more popular in other countries. Wealth isn’t calculated on popularity anyway. It’s calculated on net assets to which Beckham will have absolutely loads because he is a smart businessman.

DVG7

Would actually be quite fun for the forum to get behind actively supporting Beckham's team. I definitely plan on going to see them when they play in Canada.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Would actually be quite fun for the forum to get behind actively supporting Beckham's team. I definitely plan on going to see them when they play in Canada.
It will inevitably happen, for sure. It's Beckham, a symbol of this club.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I might be wrong here, but I swear I saw on Facebook another new team in the MLS, from North Carolina, simply called 'Charlotte'.

At first I laughed then I thought I actually really like that. It's more in line with traditional English names like Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea etc rather than following the trend of adding a suffix or prefix to the city's name, in typical American fashion.

Big fan of that team name.
Manchester United?