Interim manager discussion: Who replaces the interim interim manger (Carrick)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

Honestly the biggest downside of an interim is that we won't buy any players in January, and we desperately need a midfielder.
Yeah that is a very valid point but just maybe they can get the best out of Donny until the summer

minoo-utd

That lesson is "don't allow oil money into a league" because that's basically the only reason we've not been even MORE dominant than them over the last 20 years. People might not think in these terms, but if the fecking state of the United Arab Emirates didn't sponsor Manchester City, we would have won a title under both Mourinho and Solskjaer. You can extend that to Chelsea and Abramovich, and now Newcastle United will soon put everything to bed.
Debatable but good point though.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
The second tweet is an important point. If it’s just gonna be McKenna and Carrick then there was no point in sacking Ole.
Players will come into training to meet the same sad fecking faces as before. Someone else must come in sooner rather than later.

minoo-utd

Players will come into training to meet the same sad fecking faces as before. Someone else must come in sooner rather than later.
Exactly this is the case. Same routine, there will be nothing different but one man gone. We just don’t have a plan and in the future if we saw near success it will be only down to luck.

lilcurt

Chelsea have taken this approach st least 3 times
Chelsea have taken our approach. When have they appointed and interim to an interim?

There isn't a candidate other than Poch who I feel would be any harder to get now Vs the summer.

Zidane, Ten Hag, Rodgers (not that I want him) will be no too dissimilar to attract now Vs June.

Ten Hag is who we should be going for, doing it now and showing our intent.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
They wont find anyone they want imo, so im convinced it will be Carrick and Oles staff for the remaining games of the season. Its such a Woodward thing to do.

croadyman

It has to be a senior manager at the end of his career who can get instant buy in and respect from the squad. If you hire a younger up and comer, you end up in the same conundrum as Ole if he does well. I can see Wenger taking it, he’s been itching to coach for a while and go out on his own terms. The relationship with the club has gotten much nicer over the years, once Arsenal ceased being a threat.
Yeah a senior figure would be the right solution but doesn't look likely at the moment

Matt851

They wont find anyone they want imo, so im convinced it will be Carrick and Oles staff for the remaining games of the season. Its such a Woodward thing to do.
I suspect they will end up with the players forcing their hand if they don't find a proper interim soonish, as they did with ole

saivet

Chelsea have taken our approach. When have they appointed and interim to an interim?
Just looking at their managerial history and they have twice.

Scolari sacked February 2009. Ray Wilkins took over for a week, managed one game before Hiddink took over for the rest of the season, before they appointed Ancelloti.

When Mourinho was sacked for the second time Steve Holland was the manager for a couple of days, in charge for one game before Hiddink took over for the rest of the season. They then brought in Conte at the end of the season.

croadyman

There isn't a candidate other than Poch who I feel would be any harder to get now Vs the summer.

Zidane, Ten Hag, Rodgers (not that I want him) will be no too dissimilar to attract now Vs June.

Ten Hag is who we should be going for, doing it now and showing our intent.
Yeah I wish we would do that but convinced their champions league involvement scuppers any hopes of getting him until the summer

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
We badly need some fresh idea for this season. Someone will strong idea and approach in football.

Wenger perhaps?

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Ideally Carrick should only be in charge of the next fixture with an interim manager already signed on. That is how a normal well organised club would operate. But we are neither

Sviken

I think this would be our best option if we can't get our primary target until summer. He probably won't mind taking the job until the end of the season. Top 4 might be a struggle but I don't think we're finishing in the top 4 no matter who the manager is.
London would burn if Wenger decides to come here. I don't think he is crazy enough to do something like that.

Levi1

So we had a caretaker manager (Darren Fletcher) who lasted about 6 hours until Michael Carrick objected.

How long will Carrick last? Should we be on the phone to Phil Neville, who is lighting it up in Miami? Or Steve Round, aka Lego Pep's Lego Moyesy! Surely there's some mediocre, lackluster former United employee that I'm missing...

Just so long as we don't do anything different from what we've been doing, since it's been going so well.

Edit: David Beckham!

ti vu

The decision makers at the club are jokers, aren't they?

It's not that people hate Ole and Ole alone, so people just want him leave. We (including the players) want better coaching, and management. Ole leaving while his staffs taking over doesn't make it less shit, but potentially makes the situation more awkward.

They did;'t bother to plan at all. After all pre Watford performance and result, they didn't think that losing to Watford is possible?

Waynne

Now see this. This right here just ticks me the hell off.
It's not an exaggeration to say that there's worse to come. We've not yet hit rock bottom.

The club is now looking for an interim manager so the season is basically over. We passed up on Conte while we were trying to see if Ole could turn things around. We don't have a plan B. Carrick, McKenna and Fletcher are in important roles. What their qualifications are for those roles I would never know but they sure as hell are not elite or best in class for those positions.

We are run by (insert profanity here) and it angers me greatly that these people are continuing to run this club into the ground.

This is why some pundits are questioning this decision and why we are not going after an elite manager NOW instead of later. And the answer to that is we don't have any backup plans.

We never had a backup plan to Ole. I'm sure the board only sat down and seriously considered another manager just weeks ago, maybe after the Liverpool match instead of months ago when it was clear as day that Ole wasn't cut out for the job.
What are these guys doing in the executive board? Seriously what the feck are they doing ?!

Waynne

This is why some pundits are questioning this decision and why we are not going after an elite manager NOW instead of later. And the answer to that is we don't have any backup plans.

We never had a backup plan to Ole. I'm sure the board only sat down and seriously considered another manager just weeks ago, maybe after the Liverpool match instead of months ago when it was clear as day that Ole wasn't cut out for the job.
What are these guys doing in the executive board? Seriously what the feck are they doing ?!

ti vu

Just looking at their managerial history and they have twice.

Scolari sacked February 2009. Ray Wilkins took over for a week, managed one game before Hiddink took over for the rest of the season, before they appointed Ancelloti.

When Mourinho was sacked for the second time Steve Holland was the manager for a couple of days, in charge for one game before Hiddink took over for the rest of the season. They then brought in Conte at the end of the season.
Both time, Hiddink was on the stand watching. So that means in a sense, Hiddink already appointed, just needed paperwork to be completed. He already started working: assessing players. There was also possibility that Hiddink could have given some secret instruction pre match.

Here it looks like we don't have an interim manager yet. So what Carrick and co does in the mean time, has no connection to the new manager.

roseguy64

Both time, Hiddink was on the stand watching. So that means in a sense, Hiddink already appointed, just needed paperwork to be completed. He already started working: assessing players. There was also possibility that Hiddink could have given some secret instruction pre match.

Here it looks like we don't have an interim manager yet. So what Carrick and co does in the mean time, has no connection to the new manager.
Regardless of your point about Hiddink. Other clubs have done similar, not just Chelsea. So Man Utd aren't the first club ever and won't be the last to do this sort of thing.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Ideally Carrick should only be in charge of the next fixture with an interim manager already signed on. That is how a normal well organised club would operate. But we are neither
So you expect an interim appointment within 24 hrs?

MDFC Manager

From all the murmurings in the press, the board only really considered the sacking after the last game, and even then it took a bit of convincing.

Danish Wizard

Who would really step into a job, knowing they would only be there for 6 months. No matter how well they perform.
We should wait, no doubt, to get either ten Hag or Poch in the summer.
Who is available now and ready to to a half season stint. Steve Bruce is a candidate I guess. Wenger, no chance. Zidane, no chance. Then we have to decide, is Bruce a better fit than Carrick / Fletcher for the remaining season.? Wow, what a mess.

Siezard

So we had a caretaker manager (Darren Fletcher) who lasted about 6 hours until Michael Carrick objected.

How long will Carrick last? Should we be on the phone to Phil Neville, who is lighting it up in Miami? Or Steve Round, aka Lego Pep's Lego Moyesy! Surely there's some mediocre, lackluster former United employee that I'm missing...

Just so long as we don't do anything different from what we've been doing, since it's been going so well.

Edit: David Beckham!
So you are saying Darren Fletcher is like Freddie Ljunberg, caretaker for a while until he is succeeded by another ex-player, Carrick (Arteta)?

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I don't expect any change in the performances. The people who coached haven't been sacked.

Green Arrow

I don't expect any change in the performances. The people who coached haven't been sacked.
I agree it's the same people that were coaching the team when Ole was the manager and now they will be taking over as interim it's a joke won't see any chnage in performance. I just hope that when a new interim/manager comes in they bring in their own staff with them and get rid of the existing ones.

UpWithRivers

Its gonna be Carrick isnt it. If he manages to get a bounce and get through the next 3 games - Villarreal, Chelsea, Arsenal with a few draws/wins then we have easy games coming up until March except Champions league if we are still in it. Even if we get a random interim - Steve Bruce for example the coming games looks favorable. By the time it gets difficult they will have a 5 year contract.

PeteManic

The interim appointment is more interesting than the permanent appointment. There just isn't anyone obvious.

In a parallel universe, I wonder what Neville or Keane would do if they got the call. Their egos might make them do it, but they know the club is an absolute mess.

It is going to be Carrick until the end of season.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Its gonna be Carrick isnt it. If he manages to get a bounce and get through the next 3 games - Villarreal, Chelsea, Arsenal with a few draws/wins then we have easy games coming up until March except Champions league if we are still in it. Even if we get a random interim - Steve Bruce for example the coming games looks favorable. By the time it gets difficult they will have a 5 year contract.
It would be the darkest of days if we made Carrick permanent. I've legit heard people say they want him to get the job, based on absolute failure as an assistant, I presume.

Luckily he lacks the charm of Ole and I can't see many buying into it.

justsomebloke

This fear that we're going to end up with Michael Carrick permanently seems to me a weird mixture of wild optimism and abject pessimism.

By all accounts, Carrick and McKenna has had key roles in deciding our setup, as well as in training. They've obviously had the trust of OGS. It's really hard to believe they have excellent and fresh ideas that have not been implemented solely because OGS has blocked them. Or that having them and Phelan on the bench would give the players a boost in confidence. Rather the contrary, really. So my baseline expectation here would be that we're going from abysmal to worse in the games ahead. I suppose you could hope for a temporary lift against Villarreal, as the players respond to all the hullaballoo of Ole's sacking. But that's hardly a cert either, and is unlikely to last. So why would this setup work any better than it already has, and why would you think Carrick is going to do well enough for that to even be an option? If he can bring us back to something that resembles basic functionality, he'll have done more than you could reasonably expect. And even with this board, suspecting that that will land him the permanent job is probably to expect them to be even more incompetent than they actually are.

My primary worry is that we'll simply carry on being as bad as we've been the last few games, until a proper caretaker is in place.

Last edited:

McUnited

Fergie as interim. Keane and Neville as his assistants. Recruit nerdy, brilliant, eccentric coaches to take care of training.

Status
Not open for further replies.