Interim manager discussion: Who replaces the interim interim manger (Carrick)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

(...)

Supports
Arsenal
I would prefer Garcia to Valverde.
I'd argue Carrick is safer than Garcia. Garcia has a huge ego, he failed to step up with Lyon and Marseille and alienated his top players each time. It's really surprising and concerning that he's considered as an option.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Garcia has turned into a knock-off Mourinho. That would be underwhelming even as an interim manager.

UnsungHero

Monitoring the preparation of the Vidal bid
I'd argue Carrick is safer than Garcia. Garcia has a huge ego, he failed to step up with Lyon and Marseille and alienated his top players each time. It's really surprising and concerning that he's considered as an option.
I completely disagree. Carrick is not even a manager, and he's been part of multiple failed coaching teams.

If we somehow end up appointing Carrick as interim, we deserve everything we get. Insanity.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
We are a bloody mess. Woodie will force the new manager to work with Carrick and McKenna. Only the most desperate one will accept this bs. Woodie will also wrap this up as a interim appointment when in reality its not.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
We are a bloody mess. Woodie will force the new manager to work with Carrick and McKenna. Only the most desperate one will accept this bs. Woodie will also wrap this up as a interim appointment when in reality its not.
It's unbelievable isn't it? They just don't have a clue do they? They think it was all on Ole. Carrick Phelan and McKenna were equally to blame. More so in my eyes given they ran the training sessions and most of our players have forgotten how to pass a ball.

I'm praying it's a ploy to get a FT coach now but it looks like it might be the plan.

Absolute shambles. The Glazer out movement will be back in force very soon and louder than ever. That's the only saving grace I can cling to.

(...)

Supports
Arsenal
I completely disagree. Carrick is not even a manager, and he's been part of multiple failed coaching teams.

If we somehow end up appointing Carrick as interim, we deserve everything we get. Insanity.
I'm not saying Carrick is a good candidate, just that Garcia is worse.

Jezpeza

I think dependant on some circumstances an interim boss would be a good idea. Many seem to relish the thought of someone coming in with some sort of total football style - Poch or Ten Hag. does this take time to achieve? tuchel transformed chelsea overnight but ive seen many say Poch didnt win the league with PSG despite being a point behind when he took over because he needed time to ‘implement his style’. LVG was still using the that chestnut 2 years into being here when he was sacked, the ‘team in transition’

If so, is it not better that they get a pre season? Is trying to change style at the same time as having important matches just going to be a hindrance? Is it better to have a results getter in to just scrape out results until the end of the season to try and get top 4 and a cup run.

theres so many questions atm

Abraxas

Sounds like we ate getting Jose back as thst description fits perfectly...
If we were getting Jose for part of a season (presuming no history attached) wouldn't that be a pretty good capture...

Just think some have ridiculous expectations for this role. We're being linked with experienced names that have been successful managers one way or another. They're all capable of coming in for a few months and reaching minimum expectations to rescue this train wreck. We're not winning league or CL anyway.

Green Arrow

My concern is that this is all a smoke screen that if they want a interim whoever that maybe, they will have to work with the current coaches (Who are useless). They will get some good results this season with some bad ones and we'll somehow get top 4. Woody will then turn to the interim manager and say "Do you want this job permanently" they will say yes and then we'll be stuck with the same coaches again. The cycle will continue and we'll be having the same conversion again in a couple of years.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Garcia has turned into a knock-off Mourinho. That would be underwhelming even as an interim manager.
Wasn't he attacking manager? Remember reading that (maybe it was some else too but he was from French league and lyon manager)

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I liked Valverde first season at Barcelona and I watched it few times because I liked 442 formation and he used 442 in his first season. However, that 442 system relied on important players such as Busquets, Iniesta, and Messi as the main three playmakers. And also having right back, midfield, and keeper who can pass the ball, retain possession, and play from the back like Roberto, Rakitic, and Ter Stegen help a lot. However, we don’t have those players right now to implement what he did in his first season at Barcelona, it could be disaster appointment in my opinion. Do they just view him as la liga winner not trying to see whether he fits us and our players? Just get Poch or Ten Hag for permanent manager ffs.

Waynne

It's unbelievable isn't it? They just don't have a clue do they? They think it was all on Ole. Carrick Phelan and McKenna were equally to blame. More so in my eyes given they ran the training sessions and most of our players have forgotten how to pass a ball.

I'm praying it's a ploy to get a FT coach now but it looks like it might be the plan.

Absolute shambles. The Glazer out movement will be back in force very soon and louder than ever. That's the only saving grace I can cling to.
If Valverde is successful as interim and gets decent performances out of these players, there's every chance Woody will make it a permanent appointment and sooner rather than later we'll be back to square 1.

Then I'm fully expecting the United fanbase to riot because I don't think many will accept or tolerate another failed managerial appointment.
I liked Valverde first season at Barcelona and I watched it few times because I liked 442 formation and he used 442 in his first season. However, that 442 system relied on important players such as Busquets, Iniesta, and Messi as the main three playmakers. And also having right back, midfield, and keeper who can pass the ball, retain possession, and play from the back like Roberto, Rakitic, and Ter Stegen help a lot. However, we don’t have those players right now to implement what he did in his first season at Barcelona, it could be disaster appointment in my opinion. Do they just view him as la liga winner not trying to see whether he fits us and our players? Just get Poch or Ten Hag for permanent manager ffs.
Ed Woodward is playing live-action Football Manager with this club. He's not qualified to be making these calls and unless he's stripped off that responsibility, this club will continue to fail where it matters most.

A decade on and he's still calling the shots having failed numerous times. How he's not been demoted or absolved of the footballing responsibility is beyond me.

We needed a Txiki Begiristain character yesterday but because its United it is the hardest decision to make to get in an elite DOF.

Last edited:

Abraxas

No, it would be terrible deal.
I don't think it would. It would be now because he has a poor association with the club. But otherwise of course he would be capable of coming in, ensuring CL football next year and having enough nous that we've a chance at the cup. He demonstrated these things while he was here so why couldn't he do it over a few months where the longer term aspects don't matter.

It's the same for a lot of these options. They're not good long-term options but the job is only to come in, organise us, and make sure the next manager is starting from a good base. Not with Europa League football and completely failing performance.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Wasn't he attacking manager? Remember reading that (maybe it was some else too but he was from French league and lyon manager)
He used to be but he has turned into a bus driver since 2016.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don't think it would. It would be now because he has a poor association with the club. But otherwise of course he would be capable of coming in, ensuring CL football next year and having enough nous that we've a chance at the cup. He demonstrated these things while he was here so why couldn't he do it over a few months where the longer term aspects don't matter.

It's the same for a lot of these options. They're not good long-term options but the job is only to come in, organise us, and make sure the next manager is starting from a good base. Not with Europa League football and completely failing performance.
With proper backing and full preseason he couldn't guarantee CL football for Spurs. Only thing that's guaranteed is, playing couple of good games and his fans shouting how he is still awesome. Then the slide starts, ManUtd fans would be staring at the clock hoping game gets over quickly.

He finished 6th, 2nd, 6th (when he was sacked in December) and then maybe 7th or 8th with Spurs. Not sure why people still rate him so highly.

Orange Tree

The only reason to go for interim manager is if we have at least a verbal agreement with our target and he won't come until next season.

That said, knowing our board, it's probably because they are still undecided on the next manager and need more time.

Strats

Think it will be Pochettino in the end, as soon as their game tonight is over I think we’ll hear less about interims and more about Poch. Can imagine he’s got his mind on tonight’s game anyways.

Valverde and Garcia are okay options though, but not happy with wasting a year of this squad with an interim.

Waynne

Even more so when you figure we'll be wasting a year of Ronaldo
Yep. That's another issue and how do the players react to the interim manager knowing there will be a new permanent one in the summer. It will be 2 managers with 2 radically different systems of play because Woody with his DOF experience will appoint managers who have similar playstyles so the transition is easier on the players.

There's a lot of pundits calling this interim debacle an absolute disgrace for a club like United and it's hard to disagree. Moreso the fact that there wasn't a plan B for Ole, backed up by handing the guy a contract extension not too long ago when it was certain there were issues on the pitch.

Again, Ed fecking Woodward is going to be the death of this club. Unless the shite stain gets removed, we're doomed to mediocrity for the forseeable.

Abraxas

With proper backing and full preseason he couldn't guarantee CL football for Spurs. Only thing that's guaranteed is, playing couple of good games and his fans shouting how he is still awesome. Then the slide starts, ManUtd fans would be staring at the clock hoping game gets over quickly.

He finished 6th, 2nd, 6th (when he was sacked in December) and then maybe 7th or 8th with Spurs. Not sure why people still rate him so highly.
I don't rate him massively highly, I just think somebody of his experience and tactical knowledge has a chance of coming in and getting something out of this group of players over a short period, especially because transfers and long-term relationships aren't in play. Of course it's not a guarantee, there isn't anybody that can come in and guarantee an outcome, especially in the market for an interim manager. Anyway, I suppose Jose is a rather pointless digression.

I think the reason the club are casting their net relatively wide but erring towards experience is they know what the brief is, it's not pie in the sky stuff that we're going to outgun City, Liverpool and Chelsea from this position.

Valverde, Lop, Garcia - all suitable candidates, they need to get something done quickly. Every game that approaches with Carrick in place compared to these guys is risky. They can't let a month dwindle while procrastinating on these men, it represents too much of the remaining season. So it's a lot about who is massively up for the role and the ease of getting them in place.

padzilla

Hipster
It's unbelievable they can't even appoint an interim manager without making a song and dance of it, that said, the only times I remember an interim manager doing well were Hiddink and Benitez who took the Chelsea gig temporarily before relinquishing it at season's end.

rotherham_red

If Valverde is successful as interim and gets decent performances out of these players, there's every chance Woody will make it a permanent appointment and sooner rather than later we'll be back to square 1.

Then I'm fully expecting the United fanbase to riot because I don't think many will accept or tolerate another failed managerial appointment.

Ed Woodward is playing live-action Football Manager with this club. He's not qualified to be making these calls and unless he's stripped off that responsibility, this club will continue to fail where it matters most.

A decade on and he's still calling the shots having failed numerous times. How he's not been demoted or absolved of the footballing responsibility is beyond me.

We needed a Txiki Begiristain character yesterday but because its United it is the hardest decision to make to get in an elite DOF.
I don't see that happening. The only way he keeps the gig permanently is if he does something remarkable like win the league. I doubt even a CL would get them to give him the permanent job.

Ole was different in that the impact he made was instant and sustained for a prolonged period of time, and that he is a club legend. Plus, the experience we've just had with Ole falling short in the permanent position will make Ed and the board extra wary.

With Poch twerking the way he is, I can't see anything but him taking over, either now or in the summer.

Marwood

It's unbelievable they can't even appoint an interim manager without making a song and dance of it, that said, the only times I remember an interim manager doing well were Hiddink and Benitez who took the Chelsea gig temporarily before relinquishing it at season's end.
How are they making a song and dance about it? It's only been a couple of days since they sacked Ole. How much quicker did you think it could be sorted?

0le

Interim manager with terrible coaches. What could go possibly go wrong? I wonder if history could tell us anything...

VanDeBank

Ma’am
My concern is that this is all a smoke screen that if they want a interim whoever that maybe, they will have to work with the current coaches (Who are useless). They will get some good results this season with some bad ones and we'll somehow get top 4. Woody will then turn to the interim manager and say "Do you want this job permanently" they will say yes and then we'll be stuck with the same coaches again. The cycle will continue and we'll be having the same conversion again in a couple of years.
Is that your concern or that of Mark Goldbridge?

macheda14

A more hopeful version of this. Say we bring in Valverde / Garcia and with a DM bought in during the January window we have an incredibly jammy, defensive, counter attacking run to winning the CL. Do we then give it to said manager even if the football they were playing was pragmatic as feck and dire to watch whilst not playing our youth enough?

Devil may care

Is that your concern or that of Mark Goldbridge?
It's a fair concern regardless, it's not exactly a stretch to think we'd rather not pay off more subservient United DNA coaches and pair them with a desperation appointment like Rudi Garcia who might scrape top 4 which will be enough to get the job permanently.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
has anyone thought about a class of ‘92 coalition running the joint? they have quite a lot of management experience between them, they know the club inside out, they also have experience of running a club, which can only help the relationship with woodward, arnold et al. they could maybe manage a different week day each, then split match days or something. the finer details of how exactly it works could be laid out in their 5 year contracts.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
It's a fair concern regardless, it's not exactly a stretch to think we'd rather not pay off more subservient United DNA coaches and pair them with a desperation appointment like Rudi Garcia who might scrape top 4 which will be enough to get the job permanently.
Yeah it's a good point, I just find it hilarious that one of the few times I tune in to Goldbridge I see his views posted here on the same day verbatim. Makes you wonder how much of the shit on here is also his.

has anyone thought about a class of ‘92 coalition running the joint? they have quite a lot of management experience between them, they know the club inside out, they also have experience of running a club, which can only help the relationship with woodward, arnold et al. they could maybe manage a different week day each, then split match days or something. the finer details of how exactly it works could be laid out in their 5 year contracts.
We're the biggest club in the world and should look for the best people available. What are the odds a bunch of our ex players are the next Tuchels and ETH's? This ex player shit is popular in Holland as well: Stam, De Boer, Van Bommel, all failures. Note that ETH isn't an ex player but was a promising manager from a smaller club and surprise surprise he's doing much better.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
So according to reports Murtough and Fletcher have been tasked with identifying an interim manager, this is a positive because it is not Woodward or Judge.

It also appears they are actively interviewing multiple candidates, which is also another positive because that is not what happened last time.

Status
Not open for further replies.