Interim manager discussion: Who replaces the interim interim manger (Carrick)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leg-End

This club needs to move away from chucking ex-players into roles and making it Mates FC. An interim role is just that, he's there to get us to the summer and that's it, Valverde isn't a sexy name but he would bring experience and relatively speaking is a safe pair of hands and safe could actually win us a trophy with this squad.

Dominos

Valverde? The guy who absolutely shat the sheets 2 year in a row and got knocked out the CL despite having 3 goal leads?
How greedy are some of our fans :lol:

As an interim for 6 months, you'd be very hard-pressed to find a better calibre of manager than one who has won 2 La Liga's and has CL experience.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Valverde's football is rather bloodless. Guess it makes sense since he does look like Bela Lugosi as Count Dracula.

Dominos

I dont know about Valverde. Didnt Barca get rid of him because he wasnt playing attractive football.
Beggars can't be choosers.

We've got ourselves in an absolute mess with all the obvious candidates already in jobs. We're looking for someone to come in for 6 months and get results, turning our nose up at a manager who has recently won 2 La Liga's because his style of play isn't up to our standard would be foolish.

Frankly, if we're looking at someone to revolutionise our style of play, coming in November isn't a great time for that. We're probably more suited to pragmatic football and anyone who wants to make drastic changes is best joining in the summer so they can have a proper transfer window.

NFM

If Valverde , who managed one of the top six clubs in the world to two titles, comes as 'interim' manager, its because he expects to prove himself to take the job permanently at the end of the season. Absolutely no point in him taking the role otherwise.

Sviken

As an interim for 6 months, you'd be very hard-pressed to find a better calibre of manager than one who has won 2 La Liga's and has CL experience.
Was one game away from having an undefeated season with Barca, too. You won't find a better option than Valverde for interim. If the plan was to go for Ten Hag in the summer and not Poch, I'll be more than happy with such an appointment. But if the end result is a Poch appointment, that would be... dreadful. Valverde will grind out result, but it certainly won't be pretty to watch. As I said, would be worth only if the plan is Ten Hag.

saivet

Exactly :lol:

Certainly not a guy you'd want as a permanent manager but in terms of interim managers, it's unlikely we'll get any better or more experienced than him at coaching.

izec

'Interim'. We will make the mistake and appoint him permanently next year, like Ole. He is not good enough. Will be sacked in 2 years. 3 years for us of course

croadyman

Was one game away from having an undefeated season with Barca, too. You won't find a better option than Valverde for interim. If the plan was to go for Ten Hag in the summer and not Poch, I'll be more than happy with such an appointment. But if the end result is a Poch appointment, that would be... dreadful. Valverde will grind out result, but it certainly won't be pretty to watch. As I said, would be worth only if the plan is Ten Hag.
Yeah should only be him IF we are intent on going for Ten Hag in the summer. Obviously need to get the deal in place before then

Trophy Room

What a shambles. Some of you are clueless if you think Valverde is a decent appointment even as an interim. He’ll be an absolute disaster.

Dominos

If Valverde , who managed one of the top six clubs in the world to two titles, comes as 'interim' manager, its because he expects to prove himself to take the job permanently at the end of the season. Absolutely no point in him taking the role otherwise.
That's good for him, it doesn't mean we have to appoint him.

The issue with Ole getting the job permanently based on his spell as interim was
1. He had no credentials prior to United
2. He didn't even do a good job as interim, we appointed him before we saw how the full season played out. It was an absolute disaster.
3. The players most likely didn't even want Ole to stay on as manager as they'd stopped playing for him before the end of that season.

If Valverde was to get himself in a position where he got the job permanently, it should be on the basis that he does something exceptional in his interim spell, and the players want to keep him on. Otherwise you thank him for the job and get a new manager in the summer. Granted I don't trust our board to make logical decisions.

Dominos

What a shambles. Some of you are clueless if you think Valverde is a decent appointment even as an interim. He’ll be an absolute disaster.
Name a better candidate for 6 months?

These posts that speaks in absolutes and certainties as if they have a crystal ball always make me laugh, no clearer sign that someone is full of shite.

ti vu

In fairness, he had two full seasons in charge; won La Liga both times, Copa del Rey and the Spanish Super Cup. That and he was top of the league in his third season when he was fired. He did a very good job for them and really was only let go because of the embarrassment of the CL exit.
It's 2 embarrassing CL exit. Losing 3-0 lead to Liverpool was bad enough. Losing to similar fashion to Roma in the previous season was nightmare.

I am good with him as an interim, but wouldn't give him the job unless we somehow back into title challenge or winning the CL. You read it right. Making CL final would not be enough in my eyes, as the hangover after a defeat may be too huge, and I am not sure he is the right guy to get it out of the players system in the new season.

croadyman

That's good for him, it doesn't mean we have to appoint him.

The issue with Ole getting the job permanently based on his spell as interim was
1. He had no credentials prior to United
2. He didn't even do a good job as interim, we appointed him before we saw how the full season played out. It was an absolute disaster.
3. The players most likely didn't even want Ole to stay on as manager as they'd stopped playing for him before the end of that season.

If Valverde was to get himself in a position where he got the job permanently, it should be on the basis that he does something exceptional in his interim spell, and the players want to keep him on. Otherwise you thank him for the job and get a new manager in the summer. Granted I don't trust our board to make logical decisions.
Yeah I am confident IF we decide to appoint him on a interim basis that like you say barring incredible results he will go at the end of season

croadyman

It's 2 embarrassing CL exit. Losing 3-0 lead to Liverpool was bad enough. Losing to similar fashion to Roma in the previous season was nightmare.

I am good with him as an interim, but wouldn't give him the job unless we somehow back into title challenge or winning the CL. You read it right. Making CL final would not be enough in my eyes, as the hangover after a defeat may be too huge, and I am not sure he is the right guy to get it out of the players system in the new season.
Yeah shouldn't get the job permanently

Man Utd board really are crap. First it’s become obvious that Poch is the dream and Ten Hag is 2nd choice… how does the help get either? Surely a better brief would be “the board love both some want Poch because he’s experienced in England others think Ten Hag is ready and a very exciting manager, both are being analysed extensively before a decision is made ”

In the summer if United can’t get Poch and go for Hag, but imagine if Barca, City, or any top club etc are also looking for a new manager their pitch will be you’re our first choice you match our identity, style of play and players you can continue and progress is or build and direct us etc ….what’s Ed going to say to him… couldn’t get Poch so we thought we’d call you no clue why we’re suitable just heard you’re pretty good.

Now with the interim United are like the drunk guy in a bar going from girl to girl trying to find one to take home for a one night stand.

croadyman

Man Utd board really are crap. First it’s become obvious that Poch is the dream and Ten Hag is 2nd choice… how does the help get either? Surely a better brief would be “the board love both some want Poch because he’s experienced in England others think Ten Hag is ready and a very exciting manager, both are being analysed extensively before a decision is made ”

In the summer if United can’t get Poch and go for Hag, but imagine if Barca, City, or any top club etc are also looking for a new manager their pitch will be you’re our first choice you match our identity, style of play and players you can continue and progress is or build and direct us etc ….what’s Ed going to say to him… couldn’t get Poch so we thought we’d call you no clue why we’re suitable just heard you’re pretty good.

Now with the interim United are like the drunk guy in a bar going from girl to girl trying to find one to take home for a one night stand.
We all know the club is run like a complete and utter shambles. Scholes was calling us out on that exact thing post match tonight

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.

We've won nothing in 4 years. It's not fans that are greedy, it's that guys like you are easily satisfied.

Dominos

We've won nothing in 4 years. It's not fans that are greedy, it's that guys like you are easily satisfied.
Name a better candidate for a 6 month interim spell.

I want an elite manager in now on a permanent contract. But the club wasted 3 years under a manager who didn't deserve the job, passed on Conte, Zidane turned us down, we apparently can't get Ten Hag until the summer, so that leaves Pochettino or an interim until the summer.

There's nothing about this situation I'm satisfied with, the club has to make the most of a bad situation because they're idiots.

BlueHaze

Come on man, greedy? Just because it's an intrerim it doesn't mean we should go for everyone available. 2 consecutive years his Barca went into semis with a 3 goal leads against Roma and Liverpool and they completely collapsed. His tactical approach and system does not fit here and I can't understand why anyone think he'd be a decent candidate but thats opinions eh.

I'm not a big fan of Ragnick and I'd even take him over Valverde.

Dominos

Come on man, greedy? Just because it's an intrerim it doesn't mean we should go for everyone available. 2 consecutive years his Barca went into semis with a 3 goal leads against Roma and Liverpool and they completely collapsed. His tactical approach and system does not fit here and I can't understand why anyone think he'd be a decent candidate but thats opinions eh.

I'm not a big fan of Ragnick and I'd even take him over Valverde.
It looks like we're going for the interim manager with the best CV available right now.. Rangnick has never managed a big club. Valverde has just won 2 league titles on the bounce with Barca and had them top of the league when he was sacked in his 3rd season.

So he had 2 bad legs in the latter stages of the champions league (I suppose he gets no credit for reaching the semi final in the first place or winning the first leg against Liverpool?), and that's justfication for not giving him the job over less qualified candidates.. Of all the possible interim candidates you'd prefer over Valverde, how many have had more CL success?

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Interim shouldn't bring in a new system or style, needs to be a pure motivator. Look at Di Matteo and Hiddink, didn't exactly impose philosophies.

Unless we have guarantees on the permanent manager and his philosophy, no point looking at it any earlier.

croadyman

Ragnick, Valverde or Gracia I'd be fine with coming in as interim.
Know next to nothing about the last guy but happy with either of the first two. Wonder who are the other four candidates shortlisted. I don't think there is anything at all in the Gattuso one.

BlueHaze

It looks like we're going for the interim manager with the best CV available right now.. Rangnick has never managed a big club. Valverde has just won 2 league titles on the bounce with Barca and had them top of the league when he was sacked in his 3rd season.

So he had 2 bad legs in the latter stages of the champions league (I suppose he gets no credit for reaching the semi final in the first place or winning the first leg against Liverpool?), and that's justfication for not giving him the job over less qualified candidates.. Of all the possible interim candidates you'd prefer over Valverde, how many have had more CL success?
Not that he bottled the semis that I am saying no to him but the fact that they had such an advantage and both years he failed to motivate them and set them up tactically well enough to go through is the thing that bothers me. It was 2 calamitous collapses. For an interim role I don't think looking at what they have won is that important they just need someone who can come in and change the attitude and lift the spirits so they can fight until the end of the season.

We are not likely to win anything so CV is not that important at the minute. Supposedly also he doesn't even speak english which I can't confirm.

Dominos

Not that he bottled the semis that I am saying no to him but the fact that they had such an advantage and both years he failed to motivate them and set them up tactically well enough to go through is the thing that bothers me. It was 2 calamitous collapses. For an interim role I don't think looking at what they have won is that important they just need someone who can come in and change the attitude and lift the spirits so they can fight until the end of the season.

We are not likely to win anything so CV is not that important at the minute. Supposedly also he doesn't even speak english which I can't confirm.
For get the league titles then, what is relevant is he's managed to get consistently good league results at an elite club, which is what is required here over the next 6 months to ensure we finish top 4.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I'm not sure what the rush is in hiring an interim manager.

Everyone needs to drum it into their skulls: Tuchel last season was an outlier. There is no magical interim manager out there that will have this team overtake all of Chelsea/Man City/Liverpool in the league, or have this team winning the CL. The odds are so low that making a decision based on those odds would be foolish. If you think otherwise fair enough. I have given up on any major silverware being won this season, our flaws in midfield are too great.

Top 4 and a reasonable showing in Europe would be good, but that's pointless if the next few months are not used to lay the foundation for a more serious challenge the following season.

If we can't get a great proactive tactician in as permanent coach before the summer, then let's get in someone who is proficient with rondos and can at least introduce our players to the concept of a basic press. Failing that might as well give it Carricksy till the end of the season. Better than Valverde IMO. He may be able to secure top 4, but what else is he bringing to the table?

BlueHaze

For get the league titles then, what is relevant is he's managed to get consistently good league results at an elite club, which is what is required here over the next 6 months to ensure we finish top 4.
Well I guess all I can say to close our debate is we'll have to see if he gets hired and what he would be capable of doing. Feels to me like it's just media bs. They are literally linking us to anyone at the minute.

MrBest

What is Valverde's style of play? I think i oy saw a few games of his, one where Liverpool destroyed Barca in the second leg but I see he won two leagues.

wolvored

I can see this interim dragging on if we don't get poch in as permanent in the next 2 weeks. Woodward will dither and in Jan we will end up with Bruce or Hughes with Carrick and co still here

Status
Not open for further replies.