Interim manager discussion: Who replaces the interim interim manger (Carrick)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kps88

Leaving us with Valverde as the unique "viable" option, as a coach who know to set a team up, won 2 leagues, and managed some big names. But does he speaks english (even if 70% of our dressing room speak spanish), will he fits directly with the club... let's see
He speaks good English and won 3 league titles in Greece as well. I feel like he's as good as it gets when it comes to an interim.

NoPace

He speaks good English and won 3 league titles in Greece as well. I feel like he's as good as it gets when it comes to an interim.
I feel like any of Valverde, Rudi Garcia or Favre would be fine. Diego Martinez is also intriguing to me.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I wonder if Ole or current staff ever listened to such football manager analysis.
Funny when you listen to that. It could come across as a massive passive-aggressive dig at Solksjaer's United. I don't think it is at all, but everything he comes out with is exactly what OGS and Woodward don't know.

klayton88

I'll do it. On football manager I took Woking from the conference to the champions league in six seasons, that kind of stuff doesn't go unnoticed.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Its because many of you want them to become Pep 2.0. Not being funny but whoever would be coming in would have been very successful without whoever we keep around the place. It’s not going to make diddly squat difference who’s Hanging around trying to soak up experience or reminding players of the values of playing for Manchester United. I’m not expect Fletcher to revolutionise football with sole amazing coaching methods.

Another example (Just because they are bloody numerous amounts of them). Arteta was part of Pep’s coaching set up. Now manages Arsenal and he don’t look like baby Pep to me, neither does Pep look like he’s missed him.

Fergie literally had Phelan stealing a living thinking he was as actually a good coach. That was just one man. It made no difference to us.
This is unfair on Phelan. He was Fergie's right hand man which was an important duty especially in the later years. Rio described Phelan as Fergie's eyes and ears. Rene done most of the coaching.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
Rangnick is not a guy for a short time interim solution. He is too proud to take such an offer anyways. He needs to control everything in the sports area. That's his character and that's how he worked most of the time in Germany. I doubt the Glazers will offer him so much power.

Long Time Red

My view is that :

- Rangnick will not come as Woodward, Arnold and Murtough will not give him the power he needs as a real DoF (since Murtough is the DoF).

- Lucien Favre (from what I heard from his nephew here in Switzerland) will not come as he does not want to take a club now, and England is not his favorite place to work.

- Rudi Garcia is an absolute JOKE and he's as bad as the one who interviewed him. So hopefully not him....

- Fonseca did ok at Roma, an average manager but probably not my choice.

- Leaving us with Valverde as the unique "viable" option, as a coach who know to set a team up, won 2 leagues, and managed some big names. But does he speaks english (even if 70% of our dressing room speak spanish), will he fits directly with the club... let's see.

But this may me leave thinking that the board are misleading us and would like to give to Carrick and Phelan a go until the end of the season.
I agree with you on Rangnick, he has a job at the moment, why would he leave it for 6 months in Manchester? Unless it comes with the sporting director role at the end of the season I can't see any reason why he'd take the interim role for 6 months.

I can't see Valverde taking the interim job, he has won 2 La Liga's and a Cop Del Rey and will get another opportunity at a top club eventually. Why take the job when you won't have time or the chance to shape the squad and risk the potential reputational damage for a 6 month job? If I had his CV I'd be a little offended that I'm not even under consideration for the full time job.

If I'm correct about those two that leaves Favre, Garcia and Fonseca.

I think from those the logical pick is Favre given he has proven he can get the best out of our £73m signing, has played good football wherever he's been and also has experience of taking over a club mid season.

Skills

Snitch
I'm warming to Favre. I want an old man manager. We can pretend he's Fergie

Long Time Red

I'm warming to Favre. I want an old man manager. We can pretend he's Fergie
According to the Independent:

It is why Garcia and, particularly, Favre have impressed so far. The latter, a recent Borussia Dortmund coach, has more experience of the latter stages of the Champions League. Garcia has previously done well with Roma.

Favre outlined a system he sees with the team that proved especially persuasive, and how he would nurture certain players.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/man-utd-news-manager-lucien-favre-garcia-b1964164.html

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I wonder if Ole or current staff ever listened to such football manager analysis.
I get the feeling that it'll be like teaching the theory of relativity to 6 yr old kids.
It may go over their heads.
Ralf R is ideal for us BUT it won't happen because to buy into Ralf's philosophy, the board will have to give up a lot of their power....and that is not going to happen.
Can you imagine the board saying that they want to extend the contract of Phil Jones? Ralf R will go ballistic.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
The most appealing from all the reports would be Rangnick. Mainly to me because he wants a role afterwards. That would be proper succession planning, if he were to be involved in the club after the season. What is the point bringing in somebody else, if their style wouldn't match that of the permanent manager?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Didn't Favre play variants of 3 at the back at Dortmund?

I think he will be good choice as interim manager, shame it's from Miguel Delaney.

Hackman2210

I'll be honest - Id take any of the three mentioned. There's always a chance they could play a blinder and get offered the job full time. If Valverde comes in and we win a trophy - would we get rid of him? So there is an incentive there for whoever comes in - its not just about keeping the seat warm. I dont think Poch is overlly convincing as the next main man. Personally I'd prefer the Ajax coach (Ten hag). Either way squad reshuffle on the way, mata, pogba, linguard, matic maybe - all gone. Does leave us very light in midfield for next season - at this rate DVB may get a game........but i personally think Phelan will be given a run of games before Donny.

Laurencio

I'll be honest - Id take any of the three mentioned. There's always a chance they could play a blinder and get offered the job full time. If Valverde comes in and we win a trophy - would we get rid of him? So there is an incentive there for whoever comes in - its not just about keeping the seat warm. I dont think Poch is overlly convincing as the next main man. Personally I'd prefer the Ajax coach (Ten hag). Either way squad reshuffle on the way, mata, pogba, linguard, matic maybe - all gone. Does leave us very light in midfield for next season - at this rate DVB may get a game........but i personally think Phelan will be given a run of games before Donny.
No. None of them are good enough to be the permanent manager of Manchester United, not even close.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I'll do it. On football manager I took Woking from the conference to the champions league in six seasons, that kind of stuff doesn't go unnoticed.
I was just thinking that if we go with Ten Haag and he fails, then we've gone through almost every managerial archetype. The British midtable manager who had potential to step up (Moyes), the continental tactical coach has been "trainer" (Van Gaal), the dour old rival coach whose days were behind him (Jose), the limited old boy with questionable credentials (Ole) and the flavour of the month hipster coach (Ten Haag).

I reckon you'd have to wait till 2023 when Ten Haag is hounded out of Old Trafford. Then we can get a fan/coach whose achievements are all on Football Manager.

Firestorm

I wonder if anyone has seriously considered Ronaldo as player manager up to the end of the season. In my opinion he has all the makings have one in the future and maybe this could be a good testing ground for him – I’m sure his ego would be up to it

Giggzy P

Eric says he is now manager. Bloody hell I don't know what to feel, I mean he is the king, but is he any good?

Real Name

I wonder if anyone has seriously considered Ronaldo as player manager up to the end of the season. In my opinion he has all the makings have one in the future and maybe this could be a good testing ground for him – I’m sure his ego would be up to it
No. Just no.

Leave this silly idea for good please, all of you.

Shark

@NotShark
Why do I suddenly want it to actually happen after seeing this? That man's charm and charisma is ridiculous

laughtersassassin

Surely Eric is taking the piss.

I couldn't think of anything worse than having an even bigger legend than Ole be our manager.

I really hope we aren't that dumb

peridigm

I’m starting to think it might be best to continue with Carrick through the new year to see where Poch stands with PSG. Our fixtures after Chelsea for December are less grueling on paper at least. If we can get some decent results, skip the interim to the interim and just go for the permanent after Carrick. If Carrick surprises us with good results, maybe we get close to the end of the season with him and go all in for Ten Hag.

0le

I’m starting to think it might be best to continue with Carrick through the new year to see where Poch stands with PSG. Our fixtures after Chelsea for December are less grueling on paper at least. If we can get some decent results, skip the interim to the interim and just go for the permanent after Carrick. If Carrick surprises us with good results, maybe we get close to the end of the season with him and go all in for Ten Hag.
This is exactly what the board want fans to think. Come next season it will then be "Give Carrick a chance" and another three years of mediocrity before we are back in the same position.

laughtersassassin

Nope. That would be very dumb.

Carrick managing us is literally the same thing as Ole.

It's the entirely same coaching staff

Ixion

Eric is obviously not the new manager but I look forward to his updates on the matter

LordSpud

Mate if Carrick gets to the end of the season and surprises us with good results he will take over permanently...

UTD_Since_1978

There are no guarantees with picking a manager I know, but Zidane is the highest achieving of the out of work managers, and the powers that be should be moving heaven and earth to get him.
You are joking! 9 times out 10 it was Ronaldo who did the business on the pitch especially in the UCL for him at Real Madrid (just like Ronaldo has been doing this season for Ole) & as soon as he left for Juve, Zidane's Real Madrid team turned to crap & Zidane left soon after with his tail tucked firmly between his legs. Great player but just because you have the great Ronaldo pulling rabbits out of hats for you time & time again does not make you a great manager. I wouldn't move a stone to get Zidane as UTD manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.