International Call-ups 09/10

jb8521

Will Keane scored again for England under 17s against Malta in a 5-0 win
"Keane advanced into the box, nutmegged Christian Grech with some clever feet and swept the ball into the far corner for his second goal in as many games"

PS18

Keane and Johnstone both started England's final game, a 2-0 win over Slovakia which easily sees them into the finals. Might end up with Thorpe potentially forcing his way into the tournament squad too, he'd been a regular up til now and presumably only didn't make it due to lacking match fitness.

France seem to have the best record of the runners-up and thus qualify too, so Pogba should be involved as well.

Decotron

Robbie Brandy and Sean McGinty are in the Irish U19's squad for the elite round of qualification for the European Championships. Ireland are in a v tough group with England, Bosnia and host nation Ukraine.

Its probably one of the best squads Ireland has had for a few years at this age group. Connor Clifford (Chelsea youth team captain) is one to look out for.

datura

Norwood scored 2 today against Russia as N.I came back to draw 2-2. 2 late goals, looking for video now
The first was a free kick, and the second he got on the end of a cross in injury time to level.

'
Norwood double denies Russia

Russia 2-2 Northern Ireland
Oliver Norwood was the hero for Nothern Ireland, scoring twice late on as Steve Beaglehole's side rescued a point from their Elite round opener.
A late double from Oliver Norwood rescued Northern Ireland an unlikely point against Russia from their UEFA European Under-19 Championship Elite round Group 5 opener.

The Manchester United FC forward struck on 82 and 90 minutes, cancelling out Alan Gatagov's first-half effort and one from Aleksandr Kokorin four minutes after the break. The result leaves the teams two points behind Italy, 2-0 victors over the Czech Republic, going into Sunday's second round of matches.

Gatagov's long-range effort in the 17th minute was suitable reward for a dominant Russian performance in the opening period. The scorer, together with Pavel Yakovlev and Georgi Schennikov on the left, were causing Northern Ireland all manner of problems. Such enterprise soon told again, Russia doubling their lead when Kokorin received a diagonal pass from Viktor Svezhov, advanced into the penalty area and fired past Conor Devlin.

Northern Ireland gradually mounted a response, finding a way back into the match courtesy of a direct free-kick from Norwood. With time ebbing away, the same player dealt Russia a morale blow ahead of their next match against the Czech Republic, and sparked delight on the Northern Ireland touchline, by turning in Jonathan Breeze's left-wing delivery.'

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Our reserves are really blessed with very good set piece takers. Tosic, Norwood and Eikrem takes a freekick better than most of our first team players

datura

France won 3-1 against Switzerland to secure a semi-final spot against the winners of England's group (which they currently top).

Pogba played the entire game and picked up an assist and a yellow card.

England play Turkey later, with qualification secured, hence Keane and Johnstone are rested and Tom Thorpe makes a start.

Edit: It's live on Eurosport 2 now.

Decotron

Dominant Irish defeated by fortunate EnglandWednesday, 26 May 2010
England U19 1 - 0 Republic of Ireland U19
Dean Parrett 37

The Republic of Ireland U19 side were narrowly defeated 1-0 by England in the opening game of the UEFA elite qualifying phase in Kiev today. The winning goal was struck in the 37th minute by Dean Parrett but it was the ‘Boys in Green' who controlled the game for large periods and they will feel unlucky that they did not get a positive result from a game which they, in truth, deserved.

Sean McCaffrey's team started the stronger of the both sides and Ireland had the game's first opportunity after nine minutes when Conor Henderson fed the ball to Manchester United's Robbie Brady on the left wing but his powerful shot went just to the left of Declan Ruud's goal.

Brady (pictured right) was in inspiring form as he caused England's defence all kinds of problems and he came close once again in the 18th minute when Irish striker, Harrison Crawford claimed the ball just outside England's box and he played it into space for Brady and with a quick turn of pace, he skipped away from his marker but his shot was blocked by England's keeper, Declan Ruud to concede a corner.

England's goal came from a free-kick from Tottenham Hotspur's Dean Parrett when Wolves defender, John Dunleavy was adjudged to have fouled Philip Jones just at the edge of Ireland's box. Parrett made no mistake from 20 yards as his stunning shot hit the underside of the crossbar and nestled into the back of the net, giving Mervue United goalkeeper, Ger Hanley no chance.

Ireland started the second half in similar fashion to the first as they looked to make their dominance count on the scoreboard. The Irish back four of John Dunleavy, Richie Towell, Sean McGinty and Shane McEleney were in inspirational form as they comfortably dealt with England's large attacking threat.

Robbie Brady was again involved heavily in Ireland's attack in the second half and he came agonisingly close in the 48th minute when Conor Henderson played a quick corner to the Manchester United midfielder and he struck his shot first time but the effort went whizzing to the right of the post.

Midfielder, Conor Hourihane came to within centimeters of grabbing the equaliser in the 65th minute when the ball was squared to the Sunderland midfielder at the edge of England's box but his directed shot rattled the crossbar, much to the relief of England's goalkeeper who was helpless to save the effort.

The Irish were now fully in command in attack as they went in search of the elusive equaliser and in the 70th minute, substitute Daniel Kearns made a clever run down the right wing and he clipped the ball to Brady who let fly from 25 yards as the ball went agonisingly wide once again.

In the final seconds, England almost added insult to injury with another goal as England substitute, Andros Townsend, made a darting run down the right wing and he smashed the ball towards goal from a tight angle and the ball cannoned off Ger Hanley's post before the referee blew the full-time whistle.

McCaffrey's side will now take on defending European Champions, Ukraine on Friday, May 28 in a must win game for the Irish if they are to retain their hopes of qualification to the UEFA Championship finals this summer.

Republic of Ireland: Ger Hanley, Richard Towell, John Dunleavy, Sean McGinty, Shane McEleney, Conor Hourihane, Conor Clifford, Ronan Murray, Conor Henderson, Robert Brady, Harrison Crawford.

Substitutes: Ian McLoughlin, Daniel Kearns (on for Ronan Murray, 46 mins), Shaun Timmins, Stephen McDonnell, Andrew Boyle, Ian McLoughlin, James Keohane (on for Conor Henderson, 86 mins), Karl Sheppard (on for Harrison Crawford, 46 mins).

Good to hear both United lads did well. Brady got Man of the Match I believe aswell. Very tough group for Ireland though.

datura

England beat France 2-1 in the semi final - 2 goals from Wickham with Pogba scoring for France and apparently being their best player. Will Keane came off after c15 mins apparently injured, Thorpe and Johnstone were unused substitutes.

England will play the winners of the Spain - Turkey game later tonight (7pm kick-off), with Spain the strong favourites to progress.

Name Changed

weso26
Robbie Brandy and Sean McGinty are in the Irish U19's squad for the elite round of qualification for the European Championships. Ireland are in a v tough group with England, Bosnia and host nation Ukraine.

Its probably one of the best squads Ireland has had for a few years at this age group. Connor Clifford (Chelsea youth team captain) is one to look out for.
Big things are expected of him.

jb8521

Former United academy player Johnny Gorman who is now with Wolves made his Northern Ireland debut the other night becoming the youngest player to represent them since Whiteside

jb8521

He's a winger, played very well against us for Wolves towards the end if the Academy season. I believe he only played once for the Academy at the end if the last campaign.
Yeah he's a left winger he played in the game against Blackburn last year. Had a lot of injury problems last year which probably contributed to his release

datura

datura

I see Norwood scored from the spot for NI in a 3-2 against Italy a few days back:

'
NORTHERN Ireland’s brave attempt to reach the UEFA U19 Championships ended with defeat to Italy in the second of their Elite Round qualifiers in Russia.

After battling back to earn a draw with their hosts on Friday Steve Beaglehole's side came racing out of the blocks in the Podmoskovie Stadium and duly took the lead on 32 minutes courtesy of an Oliver Norwood penalty after Michelangelo Albertazzi had impeded William Grigg.

However, two goals in quick successions from Mattia Destro and Luca Tremolada ensured the Italian's held the advantage at the break.

Northern Ireland's fighting spirit was exemplified on 58 minutes, though, when Conor McLaughlin grabbed the equaliser from a Shane Ferguson free-kick.

But, unfortunately, Destro struck again for Italy eight minutes with what proved to be the match winning goal - and one that ensured they would be taking their place at this summer's finals in France.

Elsewhere in Group Five Russia shared six goals with the Czech Republic, Northern Ireland's final opponents on Wednesday.'

He was a late sub in their final game, a 3-1 loss against the Czechs. Devlin was an unused sub as NI rotated since they couldn't qualify.

Drainy

He had a bit of a mare in that game if I remember correctly, but looked very good for Wolves so was probably just an off day. The NI fans seem encouraged by his display against Turkey.
Yeah, he played left back that day and did 3 foul throws. A VERY off day

x42bn6

Mostly just a marker to remind myself but Corry Evans will be playing against Chile tomorrow (Worthington has said all 17 will play), and I think it's on Setanta Ireland.

Probably not going to be much of a fun game for Northern Ireland so hopefully Evans starts and gets 90 minutes.

BBC Sport - Football - NI manager Nigel Worthington upbeat ahead of Chile game

Northern Ireland are missing 17 (!) regulars including older Evans.

Corry Evans article:

Corry Evans emerging from the shadows for Northern Ireland

By Stuart McKinley
Tuesday, 25 May 2010

Having your family around you when you’re a long way from home might be the preferred option for most.

Being 3,500 miles from familiar surroundings and well away from the comfort zone, it would maybe be nice to have your big brother there.

Corry Evans, however, is happy to go it alone as he goes about establishing himself in the Northern Ireland senior squad.

On the two occasions he has been in Nigel Worthington’s squad — this time last year in Italy and then away to Albania back in March — brother Jonny wasn’t there and that suited Corry just fine.

The 19-year-old will double his caps total within the next few days when Northern Ireland face Turkey in Connecticut tomorrow and then World Cup-bound Chile in Chillan on Sunday.

“It’s been better for me that Jonny hasn’t been around and I’ve had to make my own way in the squad,” said Evans.

“I’ve had to go in, meet the other lads and get to know them myself the first couple of times that I’ve been in the squad.

“When I’ve been there I’ve been Corry Evans, rather than being Jonny’s wee brother and it’s been good for me.

“It’s not that I don’t want him to be there, but it’s just the way it’s happened and I believe it’s been better for me that way around.”

While Evans senior opted out of the trip, there was never going to be such a decision for little brother, who despite having only two caps to his name so far, will be the most experienced midfielder available to manager Worthington on the trip.

“Jonny’s played a lot of games this season and needed a break,” said Corry.

“For me, reserve games come around every couple of weeks and there’s maybe only 20 or 25 in a season, so at my age I thought it was better for me to get this experience of being in the international squad.”

While Jonny is established in his country’s starting line-up and is third choice centre-half at Manchester United, Corry is still working towards emulating his sibling.

He has yet to make a first-team appearance for United, but has come close, with a place on the bench for a Premier League game against Fulham in March.

And that step towards a first-team bow meant Corry abandoning a friend who he’d planned to spend the weekend with.

“I had a friend over from Belfast for the weekend and although I knew we were training on the Saturday morning we were planning to have a day out after that,” said Corry.

“After training the squad list for the game went up and the next thing some of the lads were coming over to me and telling me my name was on it because Paul Scholes was doubtful.

“That meant I’d to go and stay in the hotel with the squad on the Saturday night, so my mate was left in my house on his own.

“I wasn’t in the 18 originally, but the manager told me to go out and warm-up with the rest of the players anyway because Paul Scholes was still a doubt.

“When we came back in he told me that I was going to be on the bench because Paul wasn’t quite right and although he’d wanted to be on the bench the manager said no.

“I was sitting hoping that we’d get a few goals up and I might get a chance, although it never came I wasn’t disappointed. It’s another step along the way for me and more progress towards hopefully getting into the first team.”

--

Both of Northern Ireland’s tour games will be shown live on Setanta Ireland.

Will Dowling and Felix Healy - who made a single appearance for Northern Ireland at the 1982 World Cup — will provide commentary.

Linfield manager David Jeffrey will be a studio guest along with former internationals Michael O’Neill and Keith Gillespie.
Corry Evans emerging from the shadows for Northern Ireland - International, Football - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Rooney1987

Twitter ManUnitedYouth - And that's full-time, England hang on and are European Champions - well done Will, Tom and Sam!

x42bn6

Chile all over Northern Ireland, Corry Evans starts.

NI playing a very deep 4-5-1, and I think Evans is in central midfield.

Hope NI aren't going to close down all game in the heat as they'll be finished soon enough.

Chile having all the goalmouth fun despite no real chance yet.

x42bn6

FT: Chile 1-0 Northern Ireland (Paredes 30')

Good result for NI considering the circumstances with their squad. Chile were noticeably superior though.

Evans had a quiet game. Was hoping he'd impose himself a bit more but he played very disciplined on the right-sided central midfield role. Not too many passes but I don't recall any misplaced ones.

MOTM: Isla for Chile, and Little for NI: Isla overall.

datura

Matt James and Reece Brown are in the squad for the u19 European Championships in a few weeks time. Not the most exciting looking squad on paper.

Lions squad announced for Finals

TheFA.com - Lions squad announced for Finals

Monday, 05 July, 2010
Noel Blake names his squad for this month's European Championship Finals.
18-30 July 2010

England U19s Head Coach Noel Blake has named his squad for the European U19 Championship Finals, which begin in northern France next week.

The Young Lions will take an 18-man squad to Normandy, where they will be hoping to go one further than last year's competition when they reached the Final only to be pipped by hosts Ukraine.

There are five players from that squad who are included again in Matthew James, Matthew Briggs, Andros Townsend, Declan Rudd and Nathan Delfouneso, who won the Golden Boot award in Donetsk twelve months ago.

After a positive level of co-operation from the players' clubs, the squad will meet up next Monday for a few days of training before heading to France on Thursday ahead of their Group A opener with Austria in Flers on Sunday 18 July, which is being screened live on Eurosport.

Further games will follow against Netherlands and hosts France, before the top two nations from each group will progress to the Semi-Final on Tuesday 27 July and then the winners of those games will contest the Final in Caen on Friday 30 July.

Group B in France will be made up of Spain, Portugal, Italy and Croatia.

England qualified for the Finals after finishing on top of their group in two separate rounds, starting last October with First Round victories over Finland, Slovenia and Slovakia and then finally in the Elite Round in May, when Blake's side saw off competition from Ukraine, Bosnia-Herzegovina and Republic Of Ireland to seal a place in the last eight of this tournament for the third successive season.

The teams involved will also be battling for a place in next year's FIFA U20 World Cup in Colombia, with the top six teams out of the eight qualifying for that competition as European representatives.

Squad in full:

Name Club

Nathan Baker (Aston Villa)
John Bostock (Tottenham Hotspur)
Matthew Briggs (Fulham)
Reece Brown (Manchester United)
Stephen Caulker (Tottenham Hotspur)
Nathaniel Clyne (Crystal Palace)
Thomas Cruise (Arsenal)
Nathan Delfouneso (Aston Villa)
Ryan Donaldson (Newcastle United)
Matthew James (Manchester United)
Jacob Mellis (Chelsea)
Frank Nouble (West Ham United)
Dean Parrett (Tottenham Hotspur)
Matthew Phillips (Wycombe Wanderers)
Declan Rudd (Norwich City)
James Severn (Derby County)
Josh Thompson (Celtic)
Andros Townsend (Tottenham Hotspur)

Minkaro

Other than the United lads, I only recognise Tom Cruise (because I remember his name standing out when Arsenal played their final Champion's League group game), Delfouneso (who I believe scored two or more in the reserves final), and Nouble (who went on loan to West Brom...doing nothing).

I do recognise a few from FM10, but haven't seen them in the real world. Basically I have no idea what this team's like.