Internationals March (World Cup Qualifiers)

saivet

I think they have the best squad and will be favorites for the Euros and World Cup but does this France squad lack real creativity outside of Pogba?

It's certainly nitpicking but the full backs seem solid defensively but not fantastic going forward and the attackers starting today are all very good but lacking a creative spark to me.

I don't watch enough of them to be able to know but if they have a weakness what would people say it is?

Paul_Scholes18

I think they have the best squad and will be favorites for the Euros and World Cup but does this France squad lack real creativity outside of Pogba?

It's certainly nitpicking but the full backs seem solid defensively but not fantastic going forward and the attackers starting today are all very good but lacking a creative spark to me.

I don't watch enough of them to be able to know but if they have a weakness what would people say it is?
I don't feel this french side is as good as the one that won the world cup. They still got quality like Mbappe, but lacking quite a lot.

Although France are normally very hard to beat.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain

We are missing a big piece in Pogba when it comes to creativity, but this is also the type of game where Ukraine is parking the bus and it's tough to unlock those defenses, even with Pogba. If Dembele can keep up his form (and improve his finishing), I can see him being a big surprise for France at the Euros, provided he stays healthy.

saivet

I don't feel this french side is as good as the one that won the world cup. They still got quality like Mbappe, but lacking quite a lot.

Although France are normally very hard to beat.
Yeah that's my impression looking at the squad. They look like a very tough team to beat regardless though.

Paul_Scholes18

Yeah that's my impression looking at the squad. They look like a very tough team to beat regardless though.
Yeah if they get Pogba into form that midfield look better. I think Rabiot is not very good personally.

Griezmann and Giroud feels past it, but I guess they can still do a job.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I do not really rate Netherlands that highly particular without Van Dijk.

Do people think they have a chance in Euros?
Their chances ended with Koeman leaving as they made decent progress under him, De Boer awful replacement.

With Norway in the group aswell can see Holland missing another world cup.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Really can't see Belgium winning euros with what they have out tonight. Perhaps fresh Hazard can pick up end of season but think it will be a tournament too far for the lads at the back although assume Vermaelan won't be starting at euros. Think their chance was 2018.

mav_9me

Can't believe Bruno doesn't start for Portugal. Unless there is some other reason?

Paul_Scholes18

Really can't see Belgium winning euros with what they have out tonight. Perhaps fresh Hazard can pick up end of season but think it will be a tournament too far for the lads at the back although assume Vermaelan won't be starting at euros. Think their chance was 2018.
I still feel they are the best attacking team for the tournament and they got maybe the best player in De Bruyne. Portugal and France are more winners and solid at defending though and they got world stars up front.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
Yeah, I think we need Hazard (the Elder). We do have some talent coming through, but they won't be ready in time. On the other hand, we keep getting results, so maybe if the older guys see it as "one last shot" at a title, everything might fall into place...

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I still feel they are the best attacking team for the tournament and they got maybe the best player in De Bruyne. Portugal and France are more winners and solid at defending though and they got world stars up front.
That France line up and bench options are ridiculous. They showed at last world cup they can grind out games in knock out aswell so big favourites to repeat what they did in 98-2000. Think only lack of motivation can stop them as they're stacked from back to front and have settled line up and formation.

Portugal will do o.k but funny thing is they always seem to flop a bit at major tournaments when they're tipped to do well and relish more being written off but you certainly wouldn't want to get them in knock outs.

Think Italy will be dangerous wildcard aswell.

onemanarmy

That France line up and bench options are ridiculous. They showed at last world cup they can grind out games in knock out aswell so big favourites to repeat what they did in 98-2000. Think only lack of motivation can stop them as they're stacked from back to front and have settled line up and formation.

Portugal will do o.k but funny thing is they always seem to flop a bit at major tournaments when they're tipped to do well and relish more being written off but you certainly wouldn't want to get them in knock outs.

There will be about 5-6 teams that can go all the way. No real favourites, except for France maybe.

Paul_Scholes18

England still bookies favorites to win it. I find that really strange. Netherlands really highly rated too which is odd.

I think England got a good squad to win it though, but also many flaws.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I know people say this is a very good generation for England but there's about 2/3 other teams going through a similar, if not arguably, better one.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
An injury to any of the top teams can derail their chances aside from France i think. De Bruyne is out for Belgium and they struggle, Ronaldo out for Portugal and they've lost their talisman, England lose Kane and they struggle. France can afford to lose 3 or 4 and still be quality.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
England still bookies favorites to win it. I find that really strange. Netherlands really highly rated too which is odd.

I think England got a good squad to win it though, but also many flaws.
Think it's just with (as it stands) SF and final being at Wembley (although didn't work out at euro 96) and usual patriotic punting.

England target needs to be getting to consistant SF and final as Germany did in the 8 years before they finally won a title in 2014. Get the squad used to business end of tournaments.

Still don't think the defence will hold up against the very best attacks particularly if it's a back 4 and doubt Southgate will get the midfield and attack structure right either. He's also very slow compared to other managers producing in game changes when England start getting outplayed. Depth at least is better than in 2018 in most areas.

kyofusho

Soucek hat-trick for the Czechs vs Estonia tonight. Top player :drool:

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Much more aggressive set up by Deschamps now with Dembele and Pogba, let's see how it goes.

AshRK

They have Maguire and Phil Jones could comeback and partner him. Surely that is enough to win it?
I know people like to troll Maguire to look cool but he is their best defender and him and stones are a good combination.