Internationals March (World Cup Qualifiers)

AgentSmith

That was Southgates 50th game in charge of England. Won 30, drew 10,lost 10.

What rating would he get for his time as England manager thus far?
The World Cup run was my most positive memory as an England fan (2004 was a tad too early to be properly ingrained in my mind) and involved overcoming a few classic English hurdles (struggling to score goals, penalty shootout etc).

The general vibe around the team seems more positive as well. It’s a likeable group of players who seem to get on well, and it reflects on the pitch. He also speaks well in press conferences and handles controversies well.

That being said, it still feels like Southgate won’t be the manager to help the abundance of talent he has at his disposal take that step towards silverware. Seems tactically limited and too concerned with defence imo.

7/10 for me with the caveat that I don’t think he’ll improve beyond that.

dbs235

Until September 2020 I rated him pretty highly. Had a great World Cup and seemed to have a big emphasis on playing out from the back. Now with tons of attacking talent at his disposal he seems to be missuing it.

Classical Mechanic

Good start for England.
Think that’s our joint worst win against San Marino! I’ve seen us play a lot worse against them though. Could’ve been 8 by half time but we missed numerous big chances. Lingard was in his United form, lots of good positions but terrible finishing. Phillips disappointed me too, thought he played within himself. Mount was the best player when he was on the pitch. Judging from this selection I think Gal will play this side against live opposition:

——————————-Pope——————————
———-Walker——-Stones———-Maguire——
Tripper————————————————-Shaw
————————Rice——-JWP————————
Mount—————————————-——Sterling
——————————Kane——————————-

Could be Dier in for Walker, Rashford for Mount if fit and Maybe Mount in the middle for JWP.

Wilt

Southgate pleased with the performance ....we should have done better

Ramos

So Spain, France, Netherlands and Croatia (top seeds) messing up on the first match day.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Think that’s our joint worst win against San Marino! I’ve seen us play a lot worse against them though. Could’ve been 8 by half time but we missed numerous big chances. Lingard was in his United form, lots of good positions but terrible finishing. Phillips disappointed me too, thought he played within himself. Mount was the best player when he was on the pitch. Judging from this selection I think Gal will play this side against live opposition:

——————————-Pope——————————
———-Walker——-Stones———-Maguire——
Tripper————————————————-Shaw
————————Rice——-JWP————————
Mount—————————————-——Sterling
——————————Kane——————————-

Could be Dier in for Walker, Rashford for Mount if fit and Maybe Mount in the middle for JWP.
I doubt Mount plays on the wing when sancho/grealish are there
Sterling will be lucky to get in the side.
I doubt trippier plays over James either.

Leg-End

For those who watched England, was Lingard that good? Was MOTM in several newspapers
Should have scored a couple, lively but the quality of the opposition just renders it meaningless really, League One sides would put goals away against them.

Let’s be honest, with a fully fit selection of players he’s not making the squad.

Paul_Scholes18

Should have scored a couple, lively but the quality of the opposition just renders it meaningless really, League One sides would put goals away against them.

Let’s be honest, with a fully fit selection of players he’s not making the squad.
I think from watching him for West Ham he should be in the squad and maybe even start. Although it depend on what formation is used I would say. If there is one number 10 then I think Mount should be that player. Although if one of two attacking midfielders then both Mount and Lingard could start.

I think in attack Kane, Lewin, Sterling, Sancho, Grealish and Rashford should be for the wings. In attacking midfield Foden, Mount and Lingard.

Okey

I noticed Pau Torres isn't in the Spain squad. Injured? Just not called up? Apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I noticed Pau Torres isn't in the Spain squad. Injured? Just not called up? Apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=I...JesAKHe0-AZIQ9QF6BAgHEAE#imgrc=OEHj6_HyzIrn0M
Villarreal defender and Spain international Pau Torres has suffered an injury setback that is set to sideline him for several weeks. The club confirmed the central defender had suffered an adductor injury and Marca believe the layoff will rule him out of at least three matches.12 Mar 2021

Multatuli

Supports
Az
He doesn't fit "de philosophy"

With our depth in the striker department (Memphis, Weghorst, Malen, De Jong) and poor wingers it's such a bad timing to have a rigid coach like De Boer in charge.

I think we're best suited to:

Memphis Weghorst
Wijnaldum
F. De Jong De Roon
Van Aanholt Van Dijk (Ake) De Vrij De Ligt Promes (Hateboer?)
Cillessen​

And maybe just take Berghuis along when we need to dominate games in a more traditional 4-3-3 during groups.

He's made it clear that he'll only "resort" to this when his job is on the line. Basically acknowledging it works.
I know, but Weghorst is a real targetman in the box.
I like Jesper Karlsson . He was a lovely player to watch in the swedish league. Not sure how he is doing for AZ?

Will be interesting to see if he can take the next step. Would be nice with more swedish PL players.
Karlsson is doing great at AZ. As a fan I watch him every game, and he is a superb player (although he needs to get more experience and more power to improve to become a full Nationall team player). He has great technique, can pass a player, can put a player alone in front of a goalie, can swing the ball in the box and has a superb shot from a distance. And he likes to show off his skills to entertain the fans. The things he has done at AZ are just so much fun to watch:

goals and skills @ AZ
goal from all angles

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Someone on here was bemoaning the pointlessness of the best teams steamrolling through the minnows and wanted something different. I kind of agree.

Would quite like two different groups (in Europe), the top tier ones, and the rest. Maybe the top 3 of the rest qualify, while the 4th and 5th play knockout ties against the bottom two from the top tier group.

Rarely do the top teams fail to qualify, and the qualifying games are often just about how many goals the better teams can put past the weaker ones.

This could also have the benefit of cutting down the number of International matches - at least for the major teams - which would improve the regular football calendar.

MU655

The thing I don't like about Southgate is his seven-man defence formation. He switched away from it yesterday, but since it was only San Marino it does not mean it is permanent.

I really hope we don't see that thing rear it's ugly head again, but I bet it will. And I think it will cost us in the Euros.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The thing I don't like about Southgate is his seven-man defence formation. He switched away from it yesterday, but since it was only San Marino it does not mean it is permanent.

I really hope we don't see that thing rear it's ugly head again, but I bet it will. And I think it will cost us in the Euros.
Yep he's far too cautious. Setup to not lose rather than win, and you'll more than often lose anyway.

Classical Mechanic

I doubt Mount plays on the wing when sancho/grealish are there
Sterling will be lucky to get in the side.
I doubt trippier plays over James either.
I'd be amazed if Sterling doesn't start. They're not really wing positions in the 3-4-3 that Southgate is using, he calls them the 'two 10' positions. The players have more of a free role with the width coming from the wing backs. James may start over Trippier but it would be a slight surprise given that Trippier is having an excellent season for A Madrid as they lead La Liga.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Someone on here was bemoaning the pointlessness of the best teams steamrolling through the minnows and wanted something different. I kind of agree.

Would quite like two different groups (in Europe), the top tier ones, and the rest. Maybe the top 3 of the rest qualify, while the 4th and 5th play knockout ties against the bottom two from the top tier group.

Rarely do the top teams fail to qualify, and the qualifying games are often just about how many goals the better teams can put past the weaker ones.

This could also have the benefit of cutting down the number of International matches - at least for the major teams - which would improve the regular football calendar.
At least world cup groups just have the one going through automatically. Rest scrapping it out in play offs for just 3 places so way more interesting than the euro groups which is just complete snoozefest most of the time in qualification.

Holland, Spain and France all dropped points in first game so they all can't afford too many more mistakes and lets remember Italy also missed out on last world cup.

Was going to say it will change next time with 48 teams but I don't think europe actually gets that many more places, more to benefit Africa and Asia.

GlasgowCeltic

Mount has been the best player in the pitch the last probably ten times I’ve seen him play

GlasgowCeltic

It was a back five with Henderson in front and Alli and Lingard as the CM pair at the WC, I reckon Southgate would love to mirror that with Rice and Mount in with Lingard

RashyForPM

-4 out of 10 for me, hate the guy with a passion
A bit unfair imo. 7/10 for me, and would be 8 if his treatment of Mason wasn’t so disgraceful, letting him answer stupid questions when United ourselves ensure never to expose him to the media.

He’s very Ole-like. Players like him so good man-management, tactics seem clueless sometimes but the results are still decent, up until the semi final stage, showing a lack of experience of managing at the top level. Just like Ole though, probably needs 1 more season to see what he does as the young players develop further (new recruits too in Ole’s case). Come to think of it, I’d give Ole a 7/10 in regards to his tenure here so far too.

Ramos

At least world cup groups just have the one going through automatically. Rest scrapping it out in play offs for just 3 places so way more interesting than the euro groups which is just complete snoozefest most of the time in qualification.

Holland, Spain and France all dropped points in first game so they all can't afford too many more mistakes and lets remember Italy also missed out on last world cup.

Was going to say it will change next time with 48 teams but I don't think europe actually gets that many more places, more to benefit Africa and Asia.
Yeah, Euros and WC are quite different. Pretty much every WC qualification campaign there's at least one big European nation having to battle till the end to qualify or even missing out entirely. Last WC even had two, with Italy and Holland not qualifying.

I think Europe gets 16 spots for 2026 by the way, so just 3 more.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think a big European nation will miss out. Probably the Netherlands again.

MU655

It was a back five with Henderson in front and Alli and Lingard as the CM pair at the WC, I reckon Southgate would love to mirror that with Rice and Mount in with Lingard
The thing is he has been playing Henderson and Rice together in a lot of games and we have struggled to create anything, even against poor teams. So, it has pretty much been two DMs and five defenders. I hope he doesn't go with that; there is too much of a disconnect between attack and midfield.

Okey

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Is+Pau+Torres+injured&sxsrf=ALeKk03R-Eyv9wPVF9jvhPEVMpV7GAmlQA:1616746947745&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=OEHj6_HyzIrn0M%2CqocMF2kTIcHvQM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kRaTfHnq5q6vc2zU2n2kafRxaaPUw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi18Ivcw83vAhXJesAKHe0-AZIQ9QF6BAgHEAE#imgrc=OEHj6_HyzIrn0M
Villarreal defender and Spain international Pau Torres has suffered an injury setback that is set to sideline him for several weeks. The club confirmed the central defender had suffered an adductor injury and Marca believe the layoff will rule him out of at least three matches.12 Mar 2021
Thank you!

Hanks

Great game between Russia and Slovenia so far. 2-1 to the hosts at HT.

end to end stuff, the stadium is almost half full, proper football with atmosphere finally.

SwedishFish

Norway despite having Haaland are shocking. That Turkey team is not very good and they are struggling big time.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Norway despite having Haaland are shocking. That Turkey team is not very good and they are struggling big time.
Nothing shocking about it, it is Norway, after all.

Even when we have good individual players, the national team is a dead-end.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Haaland is one player, and a striker at that, if the rest of the team around him is poor, he's not going to change that on his own.