Internationals March (World Cup Qualifiers)

SwedishFish

Haaland is one player, and a striker at that, if the rest of the team around him is poor, he's not going to change that on his own.
Absolutely but he's not been very good for Norway either. Yet to step up and be the leader in attack.

Odin

Shouldn't have been a corner for Turkey's 2nd, but poor defending to allow it nevertheless. Norway being wasteful in attack doesn't help much. Turkey is allowed to slow down the game, and the ref only brought the Norwegian yellow card. This battle is over.

dbs235

Are Turkey really this good? They pretty much matched France in the Euro qualifying group as well.

micmac

Like the look of turkey so far...always had a soft spot for them after Hakan Sas’s exploits in the WC back in the day.

RashyForPM

Are Turkey really this good? They pretty much matched France in the Euro qualifying group as well.
Can’t say I watch them much (or at all), but looking at their results, I expect them to top group A in the Euros over Wales, Switzerland and even Italy.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Worst game by Norway in some time. Our brand new manager decides to rotate a bunch of the squad and give players their debuts in one of the hardest games of the group stage.

Re: Haaland. He's amazingly good but he's never going to get anything done unless he receives ballls to run at. He's gotten one or two all game. We've simply managed to play him ordinary.

All in all, shocking game.

Classical Mechanic

Haaland is one player, and a striker at that, if the rest of the team around him is poor, he's not going to change that on his own.
Their team isn’t that poor at all. They have Odegaard who is hyped to be one of the best talents about. They have a number of players that are a decent Premier League standard and then the rest of their team is decent enough. They look to be underperforming to me. They really should be qualifying for the Euros at least.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Can’t say I watch them much (or at all), but looking at their results, I expect them to top group A in the Euros over Wales, Switzerland and even Italy.
They are a decent collective, but they're average at best. We were fecking shocking against them on Wednesday amd even then, literally everything they touched went in. So the result is a bit flattering to them. I realize this sounds like me being a bad loser, mind.

Italy and Switzerland are much better and Wales is atleast as good.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Their team isn’t that poor at all. They have Odegaard who is hyped to be one of the best talents about. They have a number of players that are a decent Premier League standard and then the rest of their team is decent enough. They look to be underperforming to me. They really should be qualifying for the Euros at least.
We should, but we wont, our national team is cursed.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Turkey seem to be a really good team.

RashyForPM

They are a decent collective, but they're average at best. We were fecking shocking against them on Wednesday amd even then, literally everything they touched went in. So the result is a bit flattering to them. I realize this sounds like me being a bad loser, mind.

Italy and Switzerland are much better and Wales is atleast as good.
Not sure about Italy or the Swiss so I’ll take your word for that but they can’t be level with Wales. I do watch Wales and they play absolutely tumescent football. The two star men, Bale and Ramsey, turn up for Wales but have been declining for a while and the supporting cast, Dan James and Kieffer Moore are nothing more than average players. The defence is Championship level, unlike Turkey’s, whose best defenders (Soyuncu and Kabak) start for CL level clubs.

Hanks

Anyone knows when ticketing info be available for the Euro games?

desperately want to go to a game in St. Petersburg this June, and need the fan ID for it , but on UEFA portal it says more info coming April 2021 and so far no ticket is available for immediate sale.

Surely very soon they must figure it out, next week is April ffs!

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Not sure about Italy or the Swiss so I’ll take your word for that but they can’t be level with Wales. I do watch Wales and they play absolutely tumescent football. The two star men, Bale and Ramsey, turn up for Wales but have been declining for a while and the supporting cast, Dan James and Kieffer Moore are nothing more than average players. The defence is Championship level, unlike Turkey’s, whose best defenders (Soyuncu and Kabak) start for CL level clubs.
Fair enough, I honestly don't know much about wales and still judge them by that 2014 semi final. Still Turkey is spectacularly average. Beating us doesnt make a team good, we're really bad at the moment.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Turkey seem to be a really good team.
They are now coached by the same guy who took them to the semi-finals of the 2002 World Cup. With arguably a better team, he should be able to do well in Euro 2020 and possibly exceed expectations.

Last edited:

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Jota scored for Portugal. 0-1.
Bernardo Silva put a great ball into the far past after Cristiano Ronaldo drew 3 men all towards himself. Surprisingly, no one really put a foot in, and Bernardo Silva was also in lots of space. Milenkovic was ball-watching the whole time and was completely unaware of Diogo Jota behind him. Honestly, I was surprised by that as he tends defend the far post quite well, but he also has issues with ball-watching.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I am elated that my boy Berghuis finally scored for Oranje. And in his signature low budget Arjen Robben way no less.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
They are now coached by the same guy who took them to the semi-finals of the 2002 World Cup. With arguably a better team, he should be able to do well in Euro 2020 and possibly exceed expectations.
I am having a major Mandela effect moment right now. Fatih Terim didn't coach Turkey in 2002??

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I am having a major Mandela effect moment right now. Fatih Terim didn't coach Turkey in 2002??
This may belong in the weird feelings of football thread, but Im quite sure Terim has always been the coach of both the Turkish national team and Galatasaray.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Turkey are one of those nations that always seem to peak every 4-5 years and then go into the wilderness for a bit.

Got to World cup 2002 and finished 3rd....and then didn't even make euro 2004 due to Lativa knocking then out in the play offs! Then got to SFs of euro 2008 losing narrowly to Germany but made very few tournaments since.

Some decent players in that team with Soyuncu, Demiral, Yokuslu and Calhanoglu and Burak Yilmaz gone to Lille at age of 34 and scoring decent amount. Good chance for them to top group with start they've made.

Forgot they were in the euros, going to be a very tough group for Wales as most would see Turkey as the easiest game of the three but they can't be underestimated.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Mitrovic got a mad scoring record at interntional level, makes second half interesting in Belgrade.

1-2 Portugal.