Internationals November (World Cup Qualifiers)

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
They would be a decent regional Sunday senior team.
fecking pointless them playing England.

They conceded 46 goals in 10 games - scored 1.
It must be soul destroying to get a call up to the national team of San Marino
It's really not, they are extremely proud and they've made sure it's understood many times. Couple of years ago, they responded to Muller like this, after he was arrogant to them.

Dearest Thomas Muller,

You're right. The games like that on a Friday night, they're nothing. To you. On the other hand, dear Thomas, you do not need to come to San Marino for almost nothing in a weekend in which, without the Bundesliga, you could have spent with your wife on the sofa of you luxury villa or, who knows, you could have taken part in some events organised by your sponsors to bank several thousand euros. I believe you, but allow me to give 10 good reasons for which I think the San Marino-Germany match was very useful and if only you could could think about it and let me know what you think. It served to show you that not even against the teams as poor as ours you can't score a goal - and don't say you weren't pissed when Simoncini stopped you scoring...

1. It served to make it clear to your managers (and even at Beckenbauer and Rummenigge) that football is not owned by them but by of all those who love it, among which, like it or not, WE are included.
  2. It served to remind hundreds of journalists from all over Europe that there are still guys who follow their dreams and not your rules.
  3. It served to confirm that you Germans you will never change and that history has taught you that "bullying" is not always guarantee of victory.
  4. It served to show the 200 guys in San Marino who play the game for whatever reason why their coaches ask them to always work their hardest. Who knows - maybe one day all their sacrifice will not be repaid with a game against the champions of the world.
  5. It served to your Federation (and also to ours) to collect the money of image rights with which, in addition to paying you for your trouble, they can build pitches for the kids of your own country, schools, and make football stadiums safer... Our Federation, I'll let you in on a secret, is building a new football pitch in a remote village called Acquaviva. You could build it with six months of your salary, we'll do it with the rights of 90 minutes of game. Not bad right?
  6. It served to a country as big as your pitch in Munich to go in the paper for a good reason, because a football match is always a good reason.
  7. It served to your friend Gnabry to begin with, in the national team and scoring three goals.
  8. It made some Sanmarinese people a little happy to remember that we have a real national team.
  9. It's served to make me realise that even if you wear the most beautiful adidas kits, underneath you're always the ones that put white socks under their sandals.

Bwuk

They would be a decent regional Sunday senior team.
fecking pointless them playing England.

They conceded 46 goals in 10 games - scored 1.
It must be soul destroying to get a call up to the national team of San Marino
No it wouldn’t. If I could I’d love to play for San Marino. Some of the names they’ve gotten to play against would be brilliant.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
It's really not, they are extremely proud and they've made sure it's understood many times. Couple of years ago, they responded to Muller like this, after he was arrogant to them.
Fair play to them so but as a player it can't be fun.

croadyman

Southgate deserves credit for putting in place a path from U21's to senior team but still need a more attacking manager

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
You just need a point now as you have the superior GD against Turkey and Poland lost tonight as well.

Again, will see how serious Belgium will take this game.
I was so confident Poland would win, I was focussing on Scotland.

A chance, a slight chance but need the team to put in a collective performance, like Scotland did. But I know we'll end up playing Italy away.

Ramos

You just need a point now as you have the superior GD against Turkey and Poland lost tonight as well.

Again, will see how serious Belgium will take this game.
Expect 3 or 4 of the regular starters at the very most.

5 players didn't travel today (Courtois, Hazard and Denayer among them). De Bruyne won't start. Lukaku, Alderweireld and Tielemans are injured. Third goalkeeper will start.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Fair play to them so but as a player it can't be fun.
Actually it must be pretty fun, you are a non-professional footballer who gets to play in big stage games at Wembley, Santiago Bernabeu, Stadio Olimpico etc.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Italy has blown it; the current Euro champions; makes no sense to me...

MUFC OK

England lost their most important game of a generation - were schooled tactically in fact a mere 2 months ago. We’ve just beaten the dog and duck of international football 10-0. What do we learn? The grand sum of f all.

LDUred

It's ridiculous that Kane has helped himself to seven goals in essentially 90 minutes of international football.

He's now on 16 for 2021 international goals in a calendar year. For context, Ronaldo managed 32 once and Messi's highest is 25.

The games against San Marino, Malta, Gibraltar, Andorra, etc are a bit of a joke really, but they absolutely have to be allowed to participate.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
It's ridiculous that Kane has helped himself to seven goals in essentially 90 minutes of international football.

He's now on 16 for 2021 international goals in a calendar year. For context, Ronaldo managed 32 once and Messi's highest is 25.

The games against San Marino, Malta, Gibraltar, Andorra, etc are a bit of a joke really, but they absolutely have to be allowed to participate.
A bit of a joke? They are completely a joke.

UEFA is the only confederation that has such rubbish teams in the main qualifiers, Asia and Concacaf have pre-qualifiers for such rubbish teams.

UEFA is masquerading his greediness with "equality of opportunities for everyone", what they want is more money from these extra meaningless games against San Marino, Gibraltar,Andorra,etc.
Just like they expanded the Euro from 16 to 24 teams..."opportunities for everybody" (more matches = more money for us), just like FIFA expanded the WC from 32 to 48 teams.

"Opportunities for everybody" = more money for suit guys

Classical Mechanic

Wrong on both counts. Ronaldo’s highest in a season is 14 and Messi’s is 12. It would be absurd for either of them to score 1/3 of their total international goals in one year.

Its a bit disrespectful to Albania to dismiss them. A number of their players play in Serie A and they beat Hungary home and away in this campaign, the side that nearly got out of the group of death with France, Germany and Portugal a few months ago.

Kane only started one of the four games against San Marino and Andorra in this campaign too. That said, Andorra are a different prospect to San Marino. They generally lose but keep the score down a lot more now and have some professional players. I wouldn’t disagree with the worst teams in European qualifying having to play pre-qualifiers though.

edit: I've noticed that you've got your numbers from the IFFHS award but this ranking includes numerous club matches like the European Super Cup, Charity Shields and Club World Cups.

Last edited:

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Holland's GK Bijlow (Feyenoord) injured. Krul received a call up, but it will be either Flekken (Freiburg) or Cillessen (Valencia) replacing him in the starting XI.

RoyH1

A bit of a joke? They are completely a joke.

UEFA is the only confederation that has such rubbish teams in the main qualifiers, Asia and Concacaf have pre-qualifiers for such rubbish teams.

UEFA is masquerading his greediness with "equality of opportunities for everyone", what they want is more money from these extra meaningless games against San Marino, Gibraltar,Andorra,etc.
Just like they expanded the Euro from 16 to 24 teams..."opportunities for everybody" (more matches = more money for us), just like FIFA expanded the WC from 32 to 48 teams.

"Opportunities for everybody" = more money for suit guys
Agree. There should be a prequalifying round for these teams.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Holland's GK Bijlow (Feyenoord) injured. Krul received a call up, but it will be either Flekken (Freiburg) or Cillessen (Valencia) replacing him in the starting XI.
You could put a traffic cone in goal and we’d still not be able to score.

15 goals in a group that contains Gibraltar, Latvia, Montenegro and a leaky Turkey is criminal.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
You could put a traffic cone in goal and we’d still not be able to score.

15 goals in a group that contains Gibraltar, Latvia, Montenegro and a leaky Turkey is criminal.
I saw your game against Latvia (I think?) where they parked the bus and you couldn't do squat. On the counter you'll still have chances against us, even without Haaland.

The Dutch will give away loads of space. Memphis will gift you the ball 20 times. Empty stadium and numerous injuries to boot.

Trust me, it's going to be a very close match.

v_L

I saw your game against Latvia (I think?) where they parked the bus and you couldn't do squat. On the counter you'll still have chances against us, even without Haaland.

The Dutch will give away loads of space. Memphis will gift you the ball 20 times. Empty stadium and numerous injuries to boot.

Why’s the stadium empty?

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
England lost their most important game of a generation - were schooled tactically in fact a mere 2 months ago. We’ve just beaten the dog and duck of international football 10-0. What do we learn? The grand sum of f all.
So you'd rather we face more of the larger teams in the qualification and then struggle to get through, if not through at all? Just for the sake of 'learning'.

I'm also pretty sure we weren't 'schooled' against Italy. They hardly dominated us, yes they were the better team but it was hardly a steam roll.

TheLord

The torture of the Internationals is finally over. It seems like there weren't too many top players injured in this round of over-the-top friendlies - thankfully!

Jaxa

Correct, we are far from Brazil. But you can compare it to Leicester losing to Cardiff. Even if Leicester change half a team, it will be a bit disappointing. Is it okay to be disappointed when you expect more?
Of course it’s not and my comment didn’t say that at all, but it’s arrogant of a Denmark fan to make a comment like that as if Scotland is San Marino, personally it’s been great watching Denmark and there recent rise in the last few years but you’re not historically some kind of strong big weight champion so to talk down on Scotland like that is extremely ignorant , you need some humility

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Lets see what the Netherlands will do tonight!

If we will qualify tonight the shocker against Montenegro will be soon forgotten from collective memory. If we somehow fail to qualify it will go down in history as one of the greater deceptions in history.

spiriticon

There should be an unwritten gentleman's rule that the bigger national teams should only field their U23s and fringe players against the likes of San Marino.

It gives the fringe players more chances and also spare these smaller NTs the embarrassment of a whupping everytime they step out on the pitch.

Mind you, England U23's will probably still win 4 or 5 nil.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Christ I'm nervous. Surely we can secure a home draw against a Norway without Haaland. No fans in the stadium is shite though. Blegh.

Matriac

Christ I'm nervous. Surely we can secure a home draw against a Norway without Haaland. No fans in the stadium is shite though. Blegh.
Norway was so wasteful against Latvia. I'm sure if Van Gaal decides to park the bus you can easily force a draw to make you win the group.

Question is if he's willing to do that at home?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Norway was so wasteful against Latvia. I'm sure if Van Gaal decides to park the bus you can easily force a draw to make you win the group.

Question is if he's willing to do that at home?
Nah I think Norway will park it until the 70th minute and hope for a counter. Norway hasn't beaten us in 3p years, surely we will get it done. Right?

Please don't quote me saying this aged well in 6 hours....

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
As usually Im getting more confident about upcoming matches of Ajax/NL as they draw closer. At this point im positive we will win this quite comfortably. Ask me again in 4 hours and I will be utterly convinced we will whipe them.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
As usually Im getting more confident about upcoming matches of Ajax/NL as they draw closer. At this point im positive we will win this quite comfortably. Ask me again in 4 hours and I will be utterly convinced we will whipe them.
Seriously though, they don't even have Haaland. Easy win, it has to be. I don't believe in jinxing either, feck that.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Seriously though, they don't even have Haaland. Easy win, it has to be. I don't believe in jinxing either, feck that.
Same.. If we dont win this, we sure as hell wont deserve to be there.. This should be a formality considering the absence of Van Dijk De Ligt De Jong Wijnaldum and Depay in the centre.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

You're just being paranoid because of the Montenegro result. Those last 10 mins were purely down to complacency and carelessness. Won't happen again.

Reality is we've bottled every single deciding game in the past 20 years and this won't be any different. Plus we've got 4-5 first choice players missing too. At best we might sneak a draw but even that is unlikely. You can start the celebrations already.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Even Vangle himself is injured. Danny Blind will be on the sideline.

At least we have a handy scapegoat ready.

cyberman

Not going to keep many clean sheets with this VVD at the back. Which is ridiculous timing for Holland since he should be back to his best as the season goes on