Internationals October (Nations League + Euro 2021 play-offs + Friendlies)

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Euro 2021:

Play-off semi-finals (8 October)
Path A
: Bulgaria v Hungary (20:45), Iceland v Romania (20:45),
Path B: Bosnia and Herzegovina v Northern Ireland (20:45), Slovakia v Republic of Ireland (20:45)
Path C: Norway v Serbia (20:45), Scotland v Israel (20:45)
Path D: Georgia v Belarus (18:00), North Macedonia v Kosovo (20:45)

Nations League:

MATCHDAY 3
Saturday 10 October
C1 Luxembourg vs Cyprus (15:00)
C1 Montenegro vs Azerbaijan (15:00)
D1 Faroe Islands vs Latvia (18:00)
D2 Liechtenstein vs Gibraltar (18:00)
A4 Spain vs Switzerland (20:45)
A4 Ukraine vs Germany (20:45)
D1 Andorra vs Malta (20:45)

Sunday 11 October
B 4 Republic of Ireland vs Wales (15:00)
C4 Kazakhstan vs Albania (15:00)
A1 Bosnia and Herzegovina vs Netherlands (18:00)
A2 England vs Belgium (18:00)
A3 Croatia vs Sweden (18:00)
B1 Norway vs Romania (18:00)
B 4 Finland vs Bulgaria (18:00)
C2 Armenia vs Georgia (18:00)
C2 Estonia vs North Macedonia (18:00)
C4 Lithuania vs Belarus (18:00)
A1 Poland vs Italy (20:45)
A2 Iceland vs Denmark (20:45)
A3 France vs Portugal (20:45)
B1 Northern Ireland vs Austria (20:45)
B2 Israel vs Czech Republic (20:45)
B2 Scotland vs Slovakia (20:45)
B3 Russia vs Turkey (20:45)
B3 Serbia vs Hungary (20:45)
C3 Greece vs Moldova (20:45)
C3 Kosovo vs Slovenia (20:45)

MATCHDAY 4

Tuesday 13 October
C1 Azerbaijan vs Cyprus (18:00)
D1 Latvia vs Malta (18:00)
A4 Germany vs Switzerland (20:45)
A4 Ukraine vs Spain (20:45)
C1 Montenegro vs Luxembourg (20:45)
D1 Faroe Islands vs Andorra (20:45)
D2 Liechtenstein vs San Marino (20:45)

Wednesday 14 October
B 4 Finland vs Republic of Ireland (18:00)
C4 Lithuania vs Albania (20:45)
A1 Italy vs Netherlands (20:45)
A1 Poland vs Bosnia and Herzegovina (20:45)
A2 England vs Denmark (20:45)
A2 Iceland vs Belgium (20:45)
A3 Croatia vs France (20:45)
A3 Portugal vs Sweden (20:45)
B1 Norway vs Northern Ireland (20:45)
B1 Romania vs Austria (20:45)
B2 Scotland vs Czech Republic (20:45)
B2 Slovakia vs Israel (20:45)
B3 Russia vs Hungary (20:45)
B3 Turkey vs Serbia (20:45)
B 4 Bulgaria vs Wales (20:45)
C2 Estonia vs Armenia (20:45)
C2 North Macedonia vs Georgia (20:45)
C3 Greece vs Kosovo (20:45)
C3 Moldova vs Slovenia (20:45)
C4 Belarus vs Kazakhstan (20:45)

Friendlies:

THURSDAY 1ST OCTOBER
  • Mexico - Guatemala
WEDNESDAY 7TH OCTOBER
  • Armenia - Albania
  • Cyprus - Czech Republic
  • Denmark - Faroe Islands
  • Estonia - Lithuania
  • Malta - Gibraltar
  • Montenegro - Latvia
  • Luxembourg - Liechtenstein
  • Austria - Greece
  • Andorra - Cape Verde
  • Germany - Turkey
  • Italy - Moldova
  • Netherlands - Mexico
  • Poland - Finland
  • Portugal - Spain
  • Slovenia - San Marino
  • Switzerland - Croatia
  • France - Ukraine
THURSDAY 8TH OCTOBER
  • Uzbekistan - Iran
  • Russia - Sweden
  • Belgium - Ivory Coast
  • England - Wales
FRIDAY 9TH OCTOBER
  • Mali - Ghana
  • Japan - Cameroon
  • Morocco - Senegal
  • Nigeria - Algeria
SUNDAY 11TH OCTOBER
  • Honduras - Nicaragua
TUESDAY 13TH OCTOBER
  • Japan - Ivory Coast
  • Iran - Tajikistan
  • Morocco - DR Congo
  • Nigeria - Tunisia
  • Mexico - Algeria
  • Senegal - Mauritania

georgipep

Will he choose Mali or Spain?
Is no one really reading the full text there or is it a joke and I'm being stupid? It clearly says Hatayspor and, surprise surprise, that's a real team with another player called Adama Traore playing for them...

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Is no one really reading the full text there or is it a joke and I'm being stupid? It clearly says Hatayspor and, surprise surprise, that's a real team with another player called Adama Traore playing for them...
I think you're the one not reading the full text. There are three Adama Traore in the squad.

Classical Mechanic

30 man squad which is sensible. Same as Belgium. Surprised at the nations picking regular sized squads. Wales game will be a good one to play some fringe players and new call-ups.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Never ceases to amaze me how Deschamps gets THAT group of players to look so boring. He also seems to conspire to pick the most boring personnel and formation out of them. I’m sure the French love him as he won the World Cup, but personally, I can’t wait until he’s gone and a coach with a different philosophy takes charge.

saivet

Thought he might pick Bellingham because looking at those midfield options the only spark of creativity is with Mount, unless he brings Grealish centrally. Foden should make the next squad and now Barkely will get game time at Villa. Hopefully RLC will get a loan move and Ox recovers from whatever injury he has and get some minutes.

I guess AMN and Saka can cover LB but surprised Shaw isn't in the squad. It can be an issue with him recovering from injury as Chilwell hasn't played in the league yet.

Classical Mechanic

Does it really matter with AWB? Alexander-Arnold is the best right back in the world, he wouldn't get a sniff of playing time anyway.
England have

Walker
Trippier
Alexander-Arnold
James
Aarons
Lamptey

The rumours are that he doesn't think that AWB is a good enough footballer for what he wants.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
That’s my hope of Saka playing for Nigeria gone :(.
Imagine it's difficult when you're that age... He'll back himself to be able to become a top player, but you never know where he'll be in 4/5 years time.

Classical Mechanic

Thought he might pick Bellingham because looking at those midfield options the only spark of creativity is with Mount, unless he brings Grealish centrally. Foden should make the next squad and now Barkely will get game time at Villa. Hopefully RLC will get a loan move and Ox recovers from whatever injury he has and get some minutes.

I guess AMN and Saka can cover LB but surprised Shaw isn't in the squad. It can be an issue with him recovering from injury as Chilwell hasn't played in the league yet.
Southgate felt that Shaw ducked a call-up previously and isn't really committed. He's not a fan.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Might pull out with the old mystery 'injury' yet.
Hopefully deals are being done back in Lagos to change the decision :).

Tbh, he’s not played too much this season, so I don’t know why he was called up to this squad and not the last one. I think the last selection was a real slap in the face for him, and should have nudged him towards Nigeria. England had not one LB or LWB in the squad, but opted to play Trippier on the left instead of calling him. To add further insult, his age mates in Greenwood and Foden were called.

Some of these players need to be careful to not be given one cap and forgotten. Even Dele Alli probably has a few regrets about not picking Nigeria now. He’d do well to have much more of an England career from here out, and he’s still young.

saivet

Southgate felt that Shaw ducked a call-up previously and isn't really committed. He's not a fan.
In the previous international break he name dropped Shaw and Chilwell being injured/not fully fit as a reason he didn't pick a left back. That being said I think you're right, but I'll be interested what he says in his press conference.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Imagine it's difficult when you're that age... He'll back himself to be able to become a top player, but you never know where he'll be in 4/5 years time.
I think history isn’t on their side here. Players like Moses and Iwobi were in similar circumstances as teenagers, and for me, made the right choices. Moses will probably retire having played in about 3 World Cups, while he’d have never got that with England. Shola Ameobi, as rubbish as he was, was England’s most capped U21, and spent years deceiving himself that he could be a Lion. He finally snuck into a World Cup squad in his 30s by playing for Nigeria.

Another thing I’d say, without wanting to get too political, but I don’t think England will love these players like Nigeria, or their heritage countries will. The likes of Kanu and Okocha are national heroes and always will be. Iwobi will never have to buy a drink in Nigeria again. After retirement, these players are held closely to the heart. People like Heskey is a laughing stock here and a nobody. Dwight Yorke has the National stadium named after him. George Weah went on to be the President of Liberia! Even Raheem Sterling was never loved here until he challenged the media directly. Would never happen if he played for Jamaica. He’d still be a hero there when he’s 60.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Hopefully Grealish has won Southgate over now. Him, Greenwood and DCL added to Kane, Sterling, Rashford and Sancho should be decent.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
No Mason, Shaw or AWB.

Cheers Gareth you mug.
Why would AWB have been called up? There's 3 or 4 English right backs better than him. And he's not even been playing well for months even if you disagree he's not in the best 3 or 4 so doesn't deserve to be called up anyway.

More surprised at Shaw tbh as we're not blessed with any strength whatsoever at left back are we? Chillwell is okay and that's about it.

Mason clearly been punished and will be back in no doubt.

GledTheRed

Why would AWB have been called up? There's 3 or 4 English right backs better than him. And he's not even been playing well for months even if you disagree he's not in the best 3 or 4 so doesn't deserve to be called up anyway.

More surprised at Shaw tbh as we're not blessed with any strength whatsoever at left back are we? Chillwell is okay and that's about it.

Mason clearly been punished and will be back in no doubt.
Can leave them all out for me, long may it continue.

Classical Mechanic

Hopefully deals are being done back in Lagos to change the decision :).

Tbh, he’s not played too much this season, so I don’t know why he was called up to this squad and not the last one. I think the last selection was a real slap in the face for him, and should have nudged him towards Nigeria. England had not one LB or LWB in the squad, but opted to play Trippier on the left instead of calling him. To add further insult, his age mates in Greenwood and Foden were called.

Some of these players need to be careful to not be given one cap and forgotten. Even Dele Alli probably has a few regrets about not picking Nigeria now. He’d do well to have much more of an England career from here out, and he’s still young.
Southgate says that he sees him as a wide forward rather than a LB. This squad is a large one because of fitness issues due to Covid and the 3 games this break. I think it's likely we'll see the 3-5-2 at some point here too. If Saka only plays in the friendly, which is likely, he won't be tied.

Alli's case is a bit more complex. He's mixed race but doesn't speak to either of his birth parents and has an English kind of adoptive family. I'm sceptical he regrets his decision based on what's in the public domain about his life. Really he should be backing himself to get back to his best and he'd be back in the squad.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
England have

Walker
Trippier
Alexander-Arnold
James
Aarons
Lamptey

The rumours are that he doesn't think that AWB is a good enough footballer for what he wants.
Wouldn't blame him as he is right in this case as well. (Previously Smalling)

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
I think history isn’t on their side here. Players like Moses and Iwobi were in similar circumstances as teenagers, and for me, made the right choices. Moses will probably retire having played in about 3 World Cups, while he’d have never got that with England. Shola Ameobi, as rubbish as he was, was England’s most capped U21, and spent years deceiving himself that he could be a Lion. He finally snuck into a World Cup squad in his 30s by playing for Nigeria.

Another thing I’d say, without wanting to get too political, but I don’t think England will love these players like Nigeria, or their heritage countries will. The likes of Kanu and Okocha are national heroes and always will be. Iwobi will never have to buy a drink in Nigeria again. After retirement, these players are held closely to the heart. People like Heskey is a laughing stock here and a nobody. Dwight Yorke has the National stadium named after him. George Weah went on to be the President of Liberia! Even Raheem Sterling was never loved here until he challenged the media directly. Would never happen if he played for Jamaica. He’d still be a hero there when he’s 60.
This is like saying that people like Fred should move to some championship club because they'll never be appreciated by the United fans like they would at Barnsley. Footballers generally want to be in the best teams surrounded by the best players.

Also, if Moses really cared so much about Nigeria's team, its rather incongruous with him retiring at 27 from international football.... Certainly not because he has a hectic club career either. Zaha similarly pulled out of every Ivory Coast squad for about 18 months after they failed to qualify for the world cup, only returning for the African Nations. I think you overestimate the pull of the homeland to a lot of these guys. Particularly African countries where the FA's are oftentimes basket cases.

Last edited:

Chairman Steve

Can leave them all out for me, long may it continue.
Hahahahaha same. I don't give two shats about our national team.
This all the way. We‘d go fecking berserk if one of our best players suffers a bad injury on international duty and hampers our chances at club level.

So fill the team with Trippier, Chilwell, Grealish and all that I say :D Its not like England have got a chance at winning something under Southgate is it? It’s all in vain anyway!:p

prateik

What happened to the Maguire case? Dropped? still going on?