Internationals October (World Cup Qualifiers + Nations League Finals)

Rajma

This offside rule is probably one the most idiotic in football, no way that should ever be given as a goal. Madness.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
OK so this "intentional touch" thing seems legit... However also in the rules.

A player is offside when they are :
  • challenging an opponent for the ball or
  • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
  • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball
I don't see how you can't say Mbappe is doing any of these things. His movement is to compete for the ball, this movement then impacts his opponent, who is playing the ball in the way he is due to Mbappe being offside.
It's obviously offside according to the rules. Feck Spain though.

Deery

Dreary
Seeing that again I don’t think it should have stood offside’s offside.

FireballXL5

This offside rule is probably one the most idiotic in football, no way that should ever be given as a goal. Madness.
It is. So the attacking player still benefits from being in an offside position in the first place? Ridiculous.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I think it needs a rethink, especially in the age of VAR. Obviously the officiating team got it spot on based on the current laws and directives, but seeing that everyone can understand that Mbappe gained an advantage by being offside, as it forced Garcia to gamble in trying to intercept a difficult ball.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern

• clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
  • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball
I don't see how you can't say Mbappe is doing any of these things. His movement is to compete for the ball, this movement then impacts his opponent, who is playing the ball in the way he is due to Mbappe being offside.
Goes to show that football "laws" are laughably messy in the way they are formulated.

Deery

Dreary
So if the linesman actually does his job and sees it is it offside?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
and? do you even know football rules? :lol:
it is a crystal clear offside. ROBBED.

and the penalty in the 1st half?

it is not unlucky because it doesn't change the fact that it is a clear offside.

IT IS A BLATANT STEAL

i would like to know who is in the VAR because either he has been paid to ROB the final, or he doesn't know a thing about football.
Tell us how you really feel mate

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm

it is not unlucky because it doesn't change the fact that it is a clear offside.

IT IS A BLATANT STEAL

i would like to know who is in the VAR because either he has been paid to ROB the final, or he doesn't know a thing about football.
Relax, France would’ve won it anyway. Because they have winners in the team. You could see right after Benzema’s goal that they shift gear.

PoTMS

Can English refs finally feck off from the international scene? When will UEFA get it these lot are shite?

Nicolarra90

IT IS A BLATANT STEAL

Blatant steal I agree.
The touch comes from trying to block the pass to an offside player, it's an offside.

Maybe this is the UEFA punishment to Spain for the superleague.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Agreed. I like how Spain are playing and building under Enrique. He's very good coach.
He should be in the frame to replace Solskjaer if we can convince him to leave the Spain role.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
The laws are fine, their interpretation however, require some basic logic which the VAR ref lacked tonight.
The laws are not fine when they're simply stringing together conflicting statements without a sense of hierarchy or order, as @Annihilate Now! showed in his quote

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Can English refs finally feck off from the international scene? When will UEFA get it these lot are shite?
They got it absolutely spot on. They can’t just change the laws and directives to appease individuals on the Internet.
A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save by any opponent) is not considered to have gained an advantage.
https://www.thefa.com/~/media/files...-interpretations-of-the-laws-of-the-game.ashx

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

You would think so, but that's not the way the rules are applied.

See the below goal for example. The defender obviously only plays the ball because Watkins is there but that was enough for it to be onside, which was later confirmed as the correct decision.

And in case people think that's just English interpretations, there was also a similar Haaland goal that was allowed against Paderborn in Germany and again confirmed afterwards as being correct.

It's stupid but thems the rules.

Pavl3n

Exactly. The whistle should've gone before the defender played the ball.

What if he didn't try to get a touch on the ball, Mbappe runs after the ball (without getting a touch on it), then the defender tries to tackle Mbappe, gets the slightest touches on the ball, but the ball carries rolling forward and then Mbappe controls it and scores. Going by the way they judged it 'no offside', my hypothetical situation would also be judged as 'no offside'. Spain were very unlucky.

Still, feck Spain, I couldn't dislike a team more than them.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
When I read what he quoted, I don't see how the offside wasn't given when I look at it logically therefore I don't have an issue with them
Because right after what he quoted comes the quote in @TMDaines post above, and noone can know what supersedes what. It's a mess. I obviously agree with your interpretation, but it's not clearly deducible that the refs were wrong tonight.