Television Invincible (Amazon Prime)

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Anyone watching this? I never read the original comic book run (although was acutely aware of the series).

It's an animated series based on Image Comics character. There's only three episodes out so far, but it's really good.

Episode 1's ending was a shocker, and there's been a couple of moments like that in 2 and 3. It's walks the line between dark and 'comic' pretty well.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6741278/

Last edited:

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Yeah a few of us were talking about it in the TV shows thread, it's great. The voice cast is stellar, too.

I've seen a few people compare it to The Boys but the comics were actually written before The Boys!

Sylar

@Dante recommended it to me. I plan on watching it all in a go (well what's released so far) this weekend

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Popped up on my Amazon prime lists to watch. Gave it a go and didn't regret it. Loved the DC superhero trolling in the first episode. Aquaman equivalent as a full fish. :lol: :lol:

Would recommend.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I was not expecting to enjoy this, it just popped onto my recommended but I gave it a watch and it was really good. I can see why it gets compared to The Boys.

Dante

Average bang
@Dante recommended it to me. I plan on watching it all in a go (well what's released so far) this weekend
I hope you do!

It's been fecking great so far. But I think the fact it's animated is a bit of a double edged sword. On the one hand, the medium allows for certain kinds of storytelling that would never be possible with live action. But on the other, there's a large proportion of people who'll dismiss it out of hand because they'll assume it's a kids' show.

The first three episodes have been on par with The Boys, imo. If anybody's skipping it because it's an animation, they're missing out.

The Corinthian

I hope you do!

It's been fecking great so far. But I think the fact it's animated is a bit of a double edged sword. On the one hand, the medium allows for certain kinds of storytelling that would never be possible with live action. But on the other, there's a large proportion of people who'll dismiss it out of hand because they'll assume it's a kids' show.

The first three episodes have been on par with The Boys, imo. If anybody's skipping it because it's an animation, they're missing out.
The storyline so far is a lot more intriguing than The Boys, but a part of me does wonder how epic this could be if it was live action. Even the crazy stuff with the Flaxans I think would translate to live action pretty well and would obviously have a certain tongue in cheek quality about it.

Ekeke

I like it so far but it doesnt really feel like its properly got going just 3 episodes in

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Just watched the trailer. Kinda looked like most other superhero films. How is it like The Boys? Feel free to reply with loose spoilers. I like the Boys, but I can't bring myself to watch another standard superhero flick.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Good shout. I've enjoyed what I've seen so far and look forward to the next episode.

I see it was written by the guy who does the Walking Dead. Do they actually end this fecker because if not I'll stop watching now?

Oldyella

Just watched the trailer. Kinda looked like most other superhero films. How is it like The Boys? Feel free to reply with loose spoilers. I like the Boys, but I can't bring myself to watch another standard superhero flick.
Its very much a more realistic take on heroes, showing just how violent that life could be. Give it the first episode, it starts out very strong, with a great hook.

Good shout. I've enjoyed what I've seen so far and look forward to the next episode.

I see it was written by the guy who does the Walking Dead. Do they actually end this fecker because if not I'll stop watching now?
The comic run has already ended. I'm sure i saw an interview where kirkman said he envisioned this as a 3 season show. They have already shown some stuff that took years to reach in the comics. Who knows when execs get involved though.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé

To be clear, The Walking Dead comic ended some years ago, and had a nice ending at that. Show still going on? Don't think Kirkman is writing those though.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Put this on and convinced the Mrs to watch last night. I know the comics, She just thought meh, another superhero thing, then the final 10minutes of the first episode happened. We caught up on all the eps straight away.

Andersons Dietician

The general loose connection to the boys is because
The incredible violence and gore that comes from nowhere,
When this happens the show goes from a nice general watch to what the hell just happened and why, heck I must watch more to find out why. I don’t really want to say anymore because the hard switch is kinda what makes it so interesting, especially for me given I had absolutely no knowledge of the comics.

There is sort of an Archer/ Rick and Morty vibe to it.

The Corinthian

The Boys is a great show, but the storyline here is a lot better imo.

Spark

The general loose connection to the boys is because
The incredible violence and gore that comes from nowhere,
When this happens the show goes from a nice general watch to what the hell just happened and why, heck I must watch more to find out why. I don’t really want to say anymore because the hard switch is kinda what makes it so interesting, especially for me given I had absolutely no knowledge of the comics.

There is sort of an Archer/ Rick and Morty vibe to it.
Spot on. Also had no knowledge of the comics previously, this has been top quality.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Episode five was excellent.

The whole Amber angle is the weak point for me though, we've just seen it so many times before in superhero shows and films.

Oldyella

Episode five was excellent.

The whole Amber angle is the weak point for me though, we've just seen it so many times before in superhero shows and films.
Agreed. Still, it breaks up the violence i guess which is why its in there.

Dante

Average bang
They almost caught me out at the beginning. I thought for a moment that he was going to reveal his identity to Amber at the title card.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
They almost caught me out at the beginning. I thought for a moment that he was going to reveal his identity to Amber at the title card.
Yeah that was clever. Reeled me right in.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
The big fight in Machine Head's office caught me out. Thought it would be the typical comeback story but nope, the big lion guy caved his fecking chest in, said "This is boring" and left :lol: .

This show is catching me out a lot and I like it. I thought Darkblood would be around longer although presumably he'll pop up again somewhere.

sidsutton

Fun show and I'd agree the storyline is more interesting than The Boys. Anything similar out there?

Andersons Dietician

Latest episode was a bit meh. Can’t stand his love interest Amber, she is really annoying. Reminds me too much of Iris West. But that Arc is Just draining.

The Corinthian

I've never seen a superhero get this amount of shit kicked out of him.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Enjoying this so far, isn't your typical superhero show which I like.

The Corinthian

Latest episode was a bit meh. Can’t stand his love interest Amber, she is really annoying. Reminds me too much of Iris West. But that Arc is Just draining.
I don't mind the Amber scenes - you need the elements of his normal Mark Grayson life to appreciate the stuff he does as Invincible. Also, it'll be interesting when those two world eventually collide.

Dante

Average bang
I don't mind the Amber scenes - you need the elements of his normal Mark Grayson life to appreciate the stuff he does as Invincible. Also, it'll be interesting when those two world eventually collide.
It's a common theme on Entertainment Forum threads.

Young men aged 18-35 love violence, action and sarcastic humour. Anything that deviates from that is often seen as a waste of time.

Character relationships that humanise the protagonist through emotionality have been criticised on here for years. Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Mad Men, Dexter, Deadwood etc. have all had the same treatment. I'm not saying that people are wrong to dislike those storylines. Each to their own. But the audience on the Caf is always going to skew towards being relatively nonplussed.

Without Amber, Mark is just an action figure without any boundaries to his motivations. I personally like the Amber arc. I get it when somebody else doesn't, and I think they're wrong. But I get it.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
This show is doing that thing I hate, where people just won't talk.

Just tell her you're a fecking superhero. It's just making Amber artificially annoying.