IPL 2020

NinjaFletch

Paddikal also going down the same route.

Honest question to Indian fans, why do all the young Indian top order batsmen play like this? Jaiswal was the same, KL Rahul is now the same, Paddikal also takes the same approach. Is it something they're being asked to do, to play their way into the Indian team?
Think this is a reflection that selection is still largely done on the basis of out of date metrics.

The players know an average of 40 at 130 will get them a gig over 25 at 150 despite the latter arguably being the more useful T20 knock hence you get international sides packed with
top order batsmen.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Delhi has won all 5 games batting first after losing the toss . The only toss we won we decided to chase and ended up losing the game. MI also want to bat first everytime so kind of makes the toss very important

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Think this is a reflection that selection is still largely done on the basis of out of date metrics.

The players know an average of 40 at 130 will get them a gig over 25 at 150 despite the latter arguably being the more useful T20 knock hence you get international sides packed with
top order batsmen.
I cannot get over KL Rahul saying he feels strike-rates are 'very, very overrated', small wonder KXIP are plumb last and are finding new ways to lose games of T20 cricket.

NinjaFletch

I cannot get over KL Rahul saying he feels strike-rates are 'very, very overrated', small wonder KXIP are plumb last and are finding new ways to lose games of T20 cricket.
Could we generously say he was arguing for situational strike rates which take into account the different stages of the game?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Looking forward to Delhi vs Mumbai @ Sharjah in 2 hours time!

Could be a record breaking run fest?

AshRK

I think 3 is potentially more natural for him. You want the top 2 going hard in the first 4
I will give Jaiswal some more chance. Heard he is generally a free flowing batsmen. Butler jaiswal smith samson stokes would be my preferred setup.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Shit idea :lol:

I think it suits him better, mind. Needs balls to feel himself into a game.
It was a stupid idea today! He’s barely out of quarantine and has probably had just first and only net since August. Should have allowed him to come in after 10th over.

ArmchairCritic

Stokes opening - interesting approach. I like it.

What do you think @NinjaFletch @ArmchairCritic ?
I would get it if Stokes was bang in form and Rajashtan did not have any other options but off of a 2 month lay-off I don't think it works. He's best in that middle order solving the messes the top order gets them into to. He thrives on match situation.

ArmchairCritic

I just realised Delhi have Lamichhanne on the bench too. Unreal depth.

Skills

Snitch
Dhawan needs to go huge now or else his innings will have done more damage than good. He put a huge amount of pressure on Iyer and Stoinis

AshRK

De kock doing what dhawan didn't do. Dhawan's boring odi innings has cost Delhi the game.

Skills

Snitch
De kock doing what dhawan didn't do. Dhawan's boring odi innings has cost Delhi the game.
They should drop him. I've always been curious to see what Pant can do opening, because they've already got decent lower order hitting in Hetmyer and Stoinis.

SinNombre

Dhawan is another remnant of pre-2015 cricket. Rahane also wasted so many balls.

Why are Indian selectors incapable of selecting a modern team?

Skills

Snitch
Dhawan is another remnant of pre-2015 cricket. Rahane also wasted so many balls.

Why are Indian selectors incapable of selecting a modern team?
I'm not sure if it is the selectors though tbh. Kohli has unprecedented influence on the team (going as far as appointing the coach), so I think a lot of it is his doing/choice.

SinNombre

I'm not sure if it is the selectors though tbh. Kohli has unprecedented influence on the team (going as far as appointing the coach), so I think a lot of it is his doing/choice.
Kohli has lost 7 semifinals/finals in a row.

At some point, it should be evident that his team of pre-2015 era cricket is good enough to win group stages but not good enough to win the big prizes.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Mumbai also getting Yadav into form ... their team is looking fearsome at every position.

ArmchairCritic

KL Rahul could learn a great deal from that Yadav innings, in-form and went at Delhi's best bowler to try and put the game beyond doubt. So much of cricket is about having a clear mind on how you approach specific situations.

EDIT: Even Hardik there, didn't need to be going big straight away with Kishan more settled.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Paddikal also going down the same route.

Honest question to Indian fans, why do all the young Indian top order batsmen play like this? Jaiswal was the same, KL Rahul is now the same, Paddikal also takes the same approach. Is it something they're being asked to do, to play their way into the Indian team?
This approach was born under Dhoni's captaincy after Sehwag and Sachin called it quits. Dhawan and Rohit becoming as good as they did have definitely turned it into a philosophy. In the prior era, Sehwag almost always went hard early on. Even during Sachin and Ganguly years, at least one of them used to try to go hard from beginning.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
They'll still win.

DC had no chance after the ball wasting from Dhawan and Rahane. Both have no role in modern LOI cricket.
Yeah, they are all Blackberry boys trying to stay relevant in a TikTok world.

crappycraperson

Scout
Kohli has lost 7 semifinals/finals in a row.

At some point, it should be evident that his team of pre-2015 era cricket is good enough to win group stages but not good enough to win the big prizes.
That is not necessarily linked to not having an aggressive batting line up. After all we lost to NZ in the semi due to so called conservative batsmen collapsing in swinging conditions. Dhawan was in incredible form in WC before he got injured and Rohit hit a zillion centuries. Issue in ODIs has clearly been not being able to solve the middle order problem which includes refusal to bin Dhoni two years ago. For T20s I agree that aping ODI team is not going to lead to success.

crappycraperson

Scout
Dhawan just played a terrible innings today and cost us 20 runs especially since he also got Stoinos run out. He needed to replicate Kohli's innings from yesterday for Delhi to have a chance.

SinNombre

That is not necessarily linked to not having an aggressive batting line up. After all we lost to NZ in the semi due to so called conservative batsmen collapsing in swinging conditions. Dhawan was in incredible form in WC before he got injured and Rohit hit a zillion centuries. Issue in ODIs has clearly been not being able to solve the middle order problem which includes refusal to bin Dhoni two years ago. For T20s I agree that aping ODI team is not going to lead to success.
They also got beaten by England on a complete patta. That team needed a 280-320 par pitch to win and was in trouble if the par score was higher or lower. That to me stinks of par scores in the early 2010s.

Dhawan just played a terrible innings today and cost us 20 runs especially since he also got Stoinos run out. He needed to replicate Kohli's innings from yesterday for Delhi to have a chance.
Only an inform Kohli does what he did yesterday with the effortless risk less appreciation.

AshRK

If you are playing full 20 overs and staying till the end then you need to atleast score 80 plus. He never accelerated and at the rnd scored 15 runs less and cost Delhi the game

Skills

Snitch
Agree with the Dhobi part. The problem also is that India never gave their MO a chance to do anything of note. The way the top order bats, number 4-5 come in the last 10 and are asked to smash it away (which in current ODIs with the way fielding restrictions are, is the hardest point of the innings to speed up).

If they just had a bit more belief and played more normally like England do, I reckon you'd at least give those guys a chance to build some confidence/form.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Pant injury puts DC in a very weird spot now , having to play Carey for Pant is one thing but Pant & Hetmyer being replaced by Carey & Rahane just makes the team far too passive specially when you also have Dhawan opening the innings . I don't see what other solution is there though but it's really annoying

sport2793

KL was never the most dynamic batsman as a youngster and then had a spell of 2 years when he suddenly developed into a 360 player and is now regressing to his mean.

Kohli (like Smith) is such a bad role model for young Indian batters to follow. This innings is such a classic Kohli knock; going at 100 S/R for most of the innings but he will suddenly end at 170 while still playing mostly riskless cricket.
Predictable Indian fan, binning off Kohli, the best batsman of his generation by some distance taking all 3 formats into account. You can make the same point while not bringing Kohli into the conversation, hardly helps your argument. The problem is that Indians are risk-averse by definition, so you are hardly going to find many good examples of players and coaches who will promote high-risk cricket, which is needed to beat the likes of England and WI in T20 matches.

Last edited:

sport2793

Compare with England

Shaw...............................Roy
Rohit/Kohli.....................Buttler
Iyer..................................Bairstow
Pant................................Malan
H. Pandya.......................Morgan
Samson..........................Stokes

I'd back England 4 times out of 5.
Would Samson get into the Indian team? I've been waiting for him to reach his potential for years now.

sport2793

They'll still win.

DC had no chance after the ball wasting from Dhawan and Rahane. Both have no role in modern LOI cricket.
These are true statements but I don't think Delhi had much choice today with Pant being injured. Rahane has no business playing in T20 cricket at any level, he should instead focus on other formats where his talents are allowed to be maximized.