IPL 2020

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Game over. What a shit way to get out for KL.
A quite shocking loss, and almost entirely down to KL's influence on the game.
His captaincy bowling choices were horrifically bad and he then failed with the bat, when he needed to stay in for the whole innings.

A bad day for his reputation as a future captain of India

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
A quite shocking loss, and almost entirely down to KL's influence on the game.
His captaincy bowling choices were horrifically bad and he then failed with the bat, when he needed to stay in for the whole innings.

A bad day for his reputation as a future captain of India
Agreed. Bowling the 20th over with a gun barrel straight left arm spinner to two batsmen who can miss-hit the ball for six was ludicrous and field settings seem all over the place in general.
Also doesn’t help that the overseas players who are meant to provide an X factor are contributing nothing. I don’t think he will be the next captain of India he’s already 28 and who knows when Kohli will decide to give it up. I think maybe someone slightly younger like Iyer should get the nod for the captaincy.

zing

Zingle balls
Why was Kane W demoted as Hyderabad captain?
Warner led them to the title. Warner is also an all time great ipl player and is guaranteed a spot, Williamson is not.

He’s also hugely popular in Hyderabad.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Warner led them to the title. Warner is also an all time great ipl player and is guaranteed a spot, Williamson is not.
He’s also hugely popular in Hyderabad.
Thanks for explaining.
Never knew that. So his reputation didn't take an irrecoverable bashing after cheating scandal?
I thought Williamson doit a great job last year at creating the miserly low score king.

zing

Zingle balls
Thanks for explaining.
Never knew that. So his reputation didn't take an irrecoverable bashing after cheating scandal?
I thought Williamson doit a great job last year at creating the miserly low score king.
It didn’t. Not sure if many in this thread know this but he’s taken to doing tik-tok videos in the covid lockdown from March to Indian film music and they were a big hit in India. He is very well supported in Hyderabad.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
It didn’t. Not sure if many in this thread know this but he’s taken to doing tik-tok videos in the covid lockdown from March to Indian film music and they were a big hit in India. He is very well supported in Hyderabad.
Clever, but also indicative on how he values and his empathetic with his fans?
Underneath all the rubbish, he seems like a nice guy, who just got misguided by ego and stupidity.
But he seems to have refound his true identity which is nice.

zing

Zingle balls
Clever, but also indicative on how he values and his empathetic with his fans?
Underneath all the rubbish, he seems like a nice guy, who just got misguided by ego and stupidity.
But he seems to have refound his true identity which is nice.
He definitely likes playing for them and the city. Nothing superficial about it.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
I know Chennai are clearly impacted by the loss of Raina and Harbhajan but I think they have their overseas balance all wrong. Hazelwood and Tahir should not be bench riding, especially Tahir. Jadeja is having a really poor tournament too.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I know Chennai are clearly impacted by the loss of Raina and Harbhajan but I think they have their overseas balance all wrong. Hazelwood and Tahir should not be bench riding, especially Tahir. Jadeja is having a really poor tournament too.
Entire squad in very aspect is unbalanced and not fit for purpose.
They could have signed English players like Roy, Rashid and Woakes or Wood.
Worse combination of players than even OGS inherited.

ArmchairCritic

Entire squad in very aspect is unbalanced and not fit for purpose.
They could have signed English players like Roy, Rashid and Woakes or Wood.
Worse combination of players than even OGS inherited.
Wood was a part of their squad a while back. They had Billings too at one point. Malan would not hurt right now.

AshRK

It might come back to bite me but it is sad how once csk's greatest strength in Dhoni has become their biggest liability.

prateik

Dhoni has realized he cant win this..

Had 10 mins break for the Bhuvi injury and is still winded after running 3 2s.

prateik

The feck is Dhoni trying to do here
He has been doing this for a while now.. lets the other batsman soak in all the pressure while he just plays for the last 2 overs.. and fails to finish most of the time.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Brave and great decision from Warner to take pace off the ball and bowl 18 year old Samad for the final over.

Dhoni is single handedly taking CSK out of the tournament

NinjaFletch

Awful from Dhoni and Jadeja.

Pretty sure you have to get Curran batting at 3 in this side, he's the only player with any explosiveness. All the rest of them want an entire innings to get going.

ArmchairCritic

There's quite a few areas where CSK lost that game but again I think a poor power play and the desire to rebuild in the middle over cost them the most. I think if Curran had come in instead of Dhoni in the middle overs vs spin they would have won that. CSK managed 4 runs off of Bhuvaneshwar's first 2 overs and 5 runs off of Rashid Khan's first 3 overs, even if they just went a run a ball against those bowlers in those phases they would have won. They keep leaving themselves way too much at the back end.

EDIT:
Just checked, Dhoni came in at the start of the 7th over with no cap (so they knew what was coming) and they faced spin for 6 overs. 3 from Rashid for 5 runs, 3 from Samad and Abhishek for 17 runs. Dhoni faced Abhishek first, Curran vs a SLA would have been a favourable matchup in match they lost by 7 runs.

Last edited:

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Great finish to that game, just a shame CSK took so long to start big hitting.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Looks like a close IPL this year, though Mumbai will be favs again if all of their players hit form and most of them seem close to getting there.
I feel bullish about Delhi's chances, their batting is a strong as anyone with all bases covered, Rabada looks like a good go-to bowler to have, they just need Ashwin to come back now. RR and Punjab's bowling is too weak to win it. RCB got no chance again and don't see a run by CSK this year. Leaves SRH and KKR. I think latter has a better team though bit puzzling why they are playing so many bowlers, looks like they don't have that no.6/7 batsman who can bowl a bit, best alternative to same being Rinku Singh. If I had to call it now I would say either MI or DD to win the title this year with outside chance for KKR.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Pretty sure you have to get Curran batting at 3 in this side, he's the only player with any explosiveness. All the rest of them want an entire innings to get going.
He's being wasted in this CSK side, although I think he is playing in the role that he would be most useful for, for England.

AshRK

Looks like a close IPL this year, though Mumbai will be favs again if all of their players hit form and most of them seem close to getting there.
I feel bullish about Delhi's chances, their batting is a strong as anyone with all bases covered, Rabada looks like a good go-to bowler to have, they just need Ashwin to come back now. RR and Punjab's bowling is too weak to win it. RCB got no chance again and don't see a run by CSK this year. Leaves SRH and KKR. I think latter has a better team though bit puzzling why they are playing so many bowlers, looks like they don't have that no.6/7 batsman who can bowl a bit, best alternative to same being Rinku Singh. If I had to call it now I would say either MI or DD to win the title this year with outside chance for KKR.
Don't disagree much. 4 teams I feel will reach playoffs this year will be
Mumbai
DELHI
KKR
RCB(this can be taken by any other team)

ArmchairCritic

I did not realise that Riyan Parag and Priyam Garg are two entirely different people.

zing

Zingle balls
Stokes is joining Rajasthan. Much needed.

For an explosive all rounder, he gets worse as the format shortens, so it’ll be interesting to see how he goes this season.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Stokes is joining Rajasthan. Much needed.

For an explosive all rounder, he gets worse as the format shortens, so it’ll be interesting to see how he goes this season.
Really doubt he can just turn up and be on it. Going to take him a while to get into form.