IPL 2020

zing

Zingle balls
The average score in a 50 over match at Sharjah in the 90s was 230. This is how much cricket has changed.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
The average score in a 50 over match at Sharjah in the 90s was 230. This is how much cricket has changed.
Different pitches too mind. They have been absolute roads @ Sharjah so far this IPL.

NinjaFletch

Great over by Russell at the death.

Is it weird to think that's underpar?

zing

Zingle balls
can’t see beyond Delhi for the title. Such a fantastic team.

Skills

Snitch
That Indian core of Shaw, Iyer & Pant means they can dominate for a long time if they're sensible with their overseas players.

AshRK

Just brilliant captaincy by iyer. You bring your best bowler in rabada and get rid of Russel. Always see him as the future indian captain. Let us not forget he is learning from the very best in Ponting.

Skills

Snitch
Why the feck would anyone send Dinesh Karthik up ahead of Eoin Morgan?

AshRK

Shithead tactics cost KKR here.
Who lets dinesh karthik captain ahead of a proven international world cup winning captain. Poor stuff by KKR who have a very good squad to even win the title if they sort their tactics.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Third season in a row that KKR are struggling with the batting order. Narine's time at top is up, Tripathi showed enough today to suggest he deserves a go at the top. I would drop Narine all together since they have two spinners in Yadav and Varun. That will also open up another spot for a foreign player, allowing them to bring in locke ferguson. Overall they should go with this order - Gill, Tripathi, Rana, Morgan, Russell, DK . Karthik can be 6 until he hits form. Not to mention he has played this deep for India in ODIs/T20s.

MDFC Manager

Who lets dinesh karthik captain ahead of a proven international world cup winning captain. Poor stuff by KKR who have a very good squad to even win the title if they sort their tactics.
Correct, baffling indeed.

NinjaFletch

220 is par at Sharjah, chasing teams come close but S.B.Pressure is a factor. Punjab just shat the bed.
Maybe, but I think we'll probably see a game where two teams' big hitters get in and run riot; not sure there's any score that's safe in the last 5 and even today with KKR fecking up constantly they'd probably have fancied getting 31 off the last two with Morgan and Tripathi set.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú

Too early to make such assessments. Delhi has weaknesses too imo , the big one being that the whole batting lineup is players who love to play shots & can't run well between the wickets . This puts them in trouble in the bigger grounds specially with pitches likely to slow down . MI will always be favourites because of how many match winners they have and the experience they have in big matches . KKR are the other complete team and with better decisions they will go a long way . I reckon DC,Rcb,KKR and MI make the playoffs

Skills

Snitch
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...eed-be?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Some stats to quantify what I've been banging on about all tournament.
That's basically been India's problem for the last 4 years in ODIs. They waste the powerplays at the top, starve their best batsman of the strike and then put a feckton of pressure on the lower order to blast them a great score (in the last 10 overs when you've got the most players outside of the 30 yard circle).

They might have upped their floor marginally but they've massively lowered their own ceiling.

NinjaFletch

Nothing against Hardik, but surely with 6 overs left needing 90 runs to get to par you have to get Pollard out there.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...eed-be?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Some stats to quantify what I've been banging on about all tournament.
Very interesting stuff. I think where this first became apparent to me was when England scored 480+ in an ODI and Root got pushed down to 7. Obviously in ODIs you are going experience more variance in conditions etc. but it was so striking watching Roy, Bairstow, Hales and Morgan just relentlessly attack.

Even KKR were a bit guilty of old ODI thinking last night. Morgan/Russell should have been in the game from the start, the score they were chasing and Narine's form should have made that decision for them. It's preferable to give your biggest hitters a margin of error by sending them in during the power play.

NinjaFletch

Very interesting stuff. I think where this first became apparent to me was when England scored 480+ in an ODI and Root got pushed down to 7. Obviously in ODIs you are going experience more variance in conditions etc. but it was so striking watching Roy, Bairstow, Hales and Morgan just relentlessly attack.

Even KKR were a bit guilty of old ODI thinking last night. Morgan/Russell should have been in the game from the start, the score they were chasing and Narine's form should have made that decision for them. It's preferable to give your biggest hitters a margin of error by sending them in during the power play.
I think the only thing I'd say for benching Russell is that it scares teams having him down the order and it probably gives you more favourable match ups earlier in the innings, although if you're not looking to take advantage of them to get ahead of the RR (as KKR weren't) then it's pointless.

And MI look like they're about to be the first team to be found out at Sharjah for being too conservative at the start as they haven't been able to get the crazy acceleration that other teams have got.

AshRK

Kaul has probably cost SRH the match. We can always blame the ground and pitch but that was some poor bowling. 4 overs 64 runs.

NinjaFletch

Kaul has probably cost SRH the match. We can always blame the ground and pitch but that was some poor bowling. 4 overs 64 runs.
Doubt it, it's still the lowest score batting first here and the second lowest score after CSK's bizarre non chase.

It's given Mumbai Indians something to bowl at, but they're still 15-20 under par.

AshRK

Doubt it, it's still the lowest score batting first here and the second lowest score after CSK's bizarre non chase.

It's given Mumbai Indians something to bowl at, but they're still 15-20 under par.
Wanrer and Bairstow are the key here. SRH don't have the hitters in the middle orders that some of other teams have. I still fancy SRH to somehow chase it but those 20 runs off 4 balls could prove to be a difference.

NinjaFletch

Wanrer and Bairstow are the key here. SRH don't have the hitters in the middle orders that some of other teams have. I still fancy SRH to somehow chase it but those 20 runs off 4 balls could prove to be a difference.
Well it doesn't help! I just don't think 208 is a good score here, so if Mumbai Indians win they've either won it with the ball or SRH have chucked it away with the bat.

Given how Warner is batting, that's on the cards though.

AshRK

Well it doesn't help! I just don't think 208 is a good score here, so if Mumbai Indians win they've either won it with the ball or SRH have chucked it away with the bat.

Given how Warner is batting, that's on the cards though.
A 208 on this sharjah is probably not enough but you also have to consider the teams involved. MI have a decent bowling line up and SRH don't have a pollard or Russell or Morgan to play a match winning knock. Bairstow is gone so it could already prove to be a tough run chase. Williamson as good a batsmen he is , is not known for his hitting ability. Again it could prove to be a cakewalk but SRH batting doesn't inspire me with confidence.

NinjaFletch

A 208 on this sharjah is probably not enough but you also have to consider the teams involved. MI have a decent bowling line up and SRH don't have a pollard or Russell or Morgan to play a match winning knock. Bairstow is gone so it could already prove to be a tough run chase. Williamson as good a batsmen he is , is not known for his hitting ability. Again it could prove to be a cakewalk but SRH batting doesn't inspire me with confidence.
For sure, but that doesn't change the fact that you're favourites chasing 208 at Sharjah.

AshRK

Srh punjab rajasthan and chennai all look like the team missing out on play offs. Mumbai and delhi look favorites so far.

NinjaFletch

Really good execution from the bowlers backed up by good captaincy from Rohit.
Yeah bowled well at the back end, but was always unlikely with Warner chewing up balls and unable to get going. The Bumrah over to Williamson and Warner was where the game was won.

It's always the issue with SRH, but I'm not sure they've got their balance right with the bat, especially with Warner struggling for form and playing an anchor role rather than playing as a hitter, not sure who they've got in reserve though.

zing

Zingle balls
Surprised Porel and Mujeeb are on the bench for Punjab.

Better to play those two than Cottrell + Brar/whomever surely..

zing

Zingle balls
Good start. Punjab's game if they finish the last 8 with 70-80 which they've given themselves the platform for.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Indian selectors will have a hard time picking a t20 lineup . Everyone wants to bat in the top 4 and everyone wants to take their own time . Absolutely horrendous when you have to bat first